PDA

View Full Version : Spreading The Good News

vuqua1
06-24-2003, 08:24 PM
I received the following via email from a coworker. She later called and said it was her first attempt at spreading the Word of God to everyone in the office. She said she wants to talk to everyone in the office about God and their relationship with God. Is this appropriate? I know we have to spread the Word but isn't this a bit pushy? I know some of my other coworkers come to me asking my why she sent this to them. They feel offended like she's trying to tell them they are evil and are going to hell. I don't know if I should approach her on her approach to spreading the Word or if I should leave it alone. Help!

[COLOR=blue]One day Satan and Jesus were having a conversation. Satan had just come from the Garden of Eden, and he was gloating and boasting. Yes, sir, I just caught
the world full of people down there. Set me a trap used bait I knew they couldn't resist. Got 'em all!"

"What are you going to do with them?" Jesus asked.

Satan replied, "Oh, I'm gonna have fun! I'm gonna teach them how to marry and divorce each other, how to hate and abuse each other, how to drink and
smoke and curse. I'm gonna teach them how to invent guns and bombs and kill each other. I'm really gonna have fun!"

"And what will you do when you get done with them?" Jesus asked.

"Oh, I'll kill 'em," Satan glared proudly.

"How much do you want for them?" Jesus asked.

"Oh, you don't want those people. They ain't no good. Why, you'll take them and they'll just hate you. They'll spit on you, curse you and kill! you!! You
don't want those people!!"

"How much?" He asked again.

Satan looked at Jesus and sneered, "All your tears, and all your blood."

Jesus said, "DONE!" Then He paid the price.

Isn't it funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell.

Isn't it funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says.

Isn't it funny how everyone wants to go to heaven provided they do not have to believe, think, say, or do anything the Bible says. Or is it scary?

Isn't it funny how someone can say "I believe in God" but still follow Satan
(who, by the way, also "believes" in God).

Isn't it funny how you can send a thousand jokes through e-mail and! they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord,
people think twice about sharing.

Isn't it funny how the lewd, crude, vulgar and ! obscene pass freely through cyberspace, but the public discussion of Jesus is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Isn't it funny how someone can be so fired up for Christ on Sunday, but be an invisible Christian the rest of the week.

Are you laughing?

Isn't it funny how when you go to forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it to them.
Isn't it funny how I can be more worried about what other people think of me than what God thinks of me.

Will YOU pass this on? .... I just did, will you...

LotsOfLocs
06-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Spreading the word about any religion in the workplace is inappropriate whether you have a pamphlet or not. She better hope she doesnt get reported to HR.

starchild
06-24-2003, 09:25 PM
yep, that is inappropiate. If she was sending in to a personal friend who is of the same religion then that is fine but to send it to people who possibly don't have a religion or who is of a different religion may get offended.

winnie
06-24-2003, 10:08 PM
If you care about her, you should tell her to cease and desist immediately. The only things that should be sent thru company email are the things that pertain to company business. She should use her personal computer and email for that.

EarthTones
06-24-2003, 10:59 PM
Everyone that has posted before me is right. That is waaaaaaaaaaay inappropriate in the workplace. Many companies are starting to put these kinds of policies in their written handbooks now that email use is so pervasive in the workplace. Depending upon your relationship with her, you may want to give her a friendly warning. Whether or not you do warn her, make sure you delete the emails from your computer. Someone will eventually report her, or forward the email to a supervisor or HR personnel.

Any form of proselytization in the workplace is inappropriate...unless you work in a church.

tran68
06-25-2003, 05:27 PM
I agree, someone could claim they are being "harrassed" and report her, I'll bet it's in the works as we speak. Folk are VERY adamant when it comes to this...I just pray for everybody I work with, and let my light shine brightly, can't be faulted or pulled into HR for that! ;)

vuqua1
06-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by tran68@Jun 25 2003, 01:27 PM
I agree, someone could claim they are being "harrassed" and report her, I'll bet it's in the works as we speak. Folk are VERY adamant when it comes to this...I just pray for everybody I work with, and let my light shine brightly, can't be faulted or pulled into HR for that! ;)
This is basically how I feel. I love the Lord and I let everyone know it any chance I get. However, there are certain ways to do this without being pushy. I haven't decided if I am going to say something to her or what I should say to her. She comes across as having tunnel vision when it comes to the Lord. The Bible says this and that's all there is to it, is her approach. Yet, a few of us know certain things/behaviors about her that make her appear to be a self righteous hypocrit. I just don't know what to do.

I'm in continuous prayer.

LotsOfLocs
06-25-2003, 06:51 PM
If HR finds out she is in trouble. My supervisor ordered flags to commemorate 911(anniversary). She wanted to give them out to the whole company. HR confronted her, because these type of things should not be done at work. He said that if she gives them out it must be known that it was her doing, not the company's. She didnt understand what the big deal was. Everybody does not buy what supposedly happened on 911 and is not for the propaganda. It could rub employees the wrong way. Everyone is not partriotic. Just as everyone is not religous. And even when people are religous, like politics they dont want to talk about it at work. Whites at work especially dont like talking about politics or religion.

Kdeuce001
06-26-2003, 10:52 AM
:rolleyes: , I've been sent that email more than once. In the military folks are always sending chain letters. If you love GOD send this, Send this to ___ many people and you'll get money, a free trip, etc...bla bla bla.

Bill gates ain't sending no money, and if GOD loves me, then she knows i could get in trouble for sending mess like that to prove it to the world. I'm sure she would want me to keep my job as well as my good sense.

Oh and that email is "Christian" based so others would be offended and could really care less.

JusMy2
Kdeuce

elleebeme5
06-26-2003, 01:09 PM
I agree that mass mailings to people who don't want them are inappropriate at the workplace. Further, IMHO, it is always inappropriate to force feed the Good News.

Joyfulocs
06-26-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by tran68@Jun 25 2003, 12:27 PM
Nope, you certainly can't. There are so many other, more effective ways to spread the good news. Anybody can click on send, but how ya livin'? :lol: ;)

Twistednkinky
08-17-2003, 04:35 AM
ITA with much of the sentiments shared in this thread! This type of behavior is inappropriate in the workplace and I am certain that it does violate HR policy!ITA!

I don't believe in pushing or peddling the gospel on anyone! :nohuh: Because I believe that most people would much rather see a sermon than hear one! By that I mean, how I conduct myself carries more weight than anything I could possible say! As a result, I am content to just let my light shine! ;)

shay
08-17-2003, 05:41 PM
I would leave it alone, if the Lord put it in her heart to share this then I am sure she is aware of the possible reprecussions of her actions. After reading what she sent and speaking as a believer in Christ, there is some truth in what was sent. Most of us think nothing of forwarding jokes, etc but we can't take a stand for the Lord. While many people may be offended by what she says, if one person ponders it and is brought to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ yet this women loses her job, its worth it.

mrandmrsmer
08-17-2003, 07:29 PM
I would thank her for her efforts on spreading the word, and let her know that you would not like to receive anymore e-mails from her in that vein, however, I also agree with Shay that if one person thinks about this e-mail she sent and had afterthoughts about accepting Christ, then her part of her efforts would be well worth it. I think if the opportunity presents itself at the appropriate time at work, true Christians should witness to co-workers.

NaturalSerenitee
08-19-2003, 08:42 AM
I agree that this type of e-mail is inappropriate for ther workplace -- I personally don't want to recieve them at my home either.

Sending this kind of mass "witness" mailing can be truly offensive, especially to those who are not Christian and are happy with the spiritual path they are on. I respect all paths and religions, and I respect the right of people to practice whatever form of worship they choose...

All I ask is to be left alone to worship as I choose.

I respond to those who send me these types of mailing with, "No offense, but please spare me the good news. I got some of my own, thanks."

Twistie74
08-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Jun 24 2003, 03:34 PM
Spreading the word about any religion in the workplace is inappropriate whether you have a pamphlet or not. She better hope she doesnt get reported to HR.
I agree.

I had a coworker who tried to start sending me those Jesus-type e-mails.

When she and I had an altercation about religion, the e-mails suddenly stopped :) *jumping for joy*

CallaV
08-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Jun 24 2003, 04:34 PM
ITA

It’s great that she wants to spread the good news but there is a time and a place for it. She also has to realize that this is work and some folks don’t care for religion in the work place.

rozlips
08-21-2003, 07:35 PM
I had a co-worker who did this, I immediately reported her to HR. I really don't understand folks who feel the need to shove their religion down other folks' throat.

Artsyblack
08-21-2003, 09:57 PM
At my former place of employment most of the older female workers put up scriptures all over the office.

Right after 911, they posted christain oriented poems on the outsite door and played gospel music and taped sermons.

This is a hospital where the employees of many cultures and religious befiefs frequented this particular office. :o

Very inappropriate

delightfulflame
08-21-2003, 11:07 PM
I am a firm believer in only giving advice when asked. Shoving Christianity down people's throats is against the very nature of the religion. The whole basis is that people must choose to follow Jesus. Nobody should be force fed anything. Besides, when times get hard enough, you'd be amazed at how many people come looking for Jesus...