PDA

View Full Version : Napptural hair stayed straight

abbinigel
12-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Hey you guys- I have a bit of a problem - I have been wering my hair natural for about 2 yrs now and all has been fine until recently. A couple of months ago I went to get my hair blow dried and flat ironed (which I hardly EVER do) In order to get my split ends accurately trimmed- I know they used a lot of heat, but again I don't go that often, so I though evrything was fine. After repeated washings, however, I find that the side front section stays straight and won't go back to my natural hair. What should I do? The rest is fine except for that section on the side. SHould I cut it or just cut all of my hair and start again-Let me know what you guys think I should do- :( I have quite a bit of hair and I have been trying to hide it since this has happened,but forget was and goes or even afros. I wear it in a bun. I still need to straighten it from time to time (every 3 months to remove split ends, but I won't use the same hairdresser) :(

Napptural Gurl in Distress :afro:

Abbinigel :(

Niya
12-24-2004, 09:04 PM
a few posts down:
same story, different post (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41576)

I still need to straighten it from time to time (every 3 months to remove split ends, but I won't use the same hairdresser)
:icon_headshake: it wasn't just the hair dresser, it was the heat.
you do not need to straighten your hair to trim it. IMHO, you'd have less split ends if you stopped damaging it with heat. (no offense)
Me personally, i like to snip off the ends of my twists or braids.

eta: i forgot: you can try protein treatments and deep conditioning, to help your hair get back. but if damage is done, the only way to get around it is w/ scissors.

BrownsuggaDIVA
12-24-2004, 09:08 PM
just a side note...you dont need to straighten hair for a trim.

a way to trim is put the hair in several twists/plaits and snip the edges at an angle.

i recall dee saying a while back that it is very possible to still have uneven hair after trimming while the hair is straighten. that is because the hair more than likely have various curl patterns all over the head. some areas may be looser than others...etc so when the hair goes back into its natural state..the looser areas may appear longer than areas that have a tighter pattern.

Kengne
12-24-2004, 10:02 PM
abbinigel -

I'm so sorry this happened to you. :( But this is a textbook example of why I have not used any sort of heat on my natural hair for the past 2 years. Some people's hair can take the heat over and over again and be "ok" while others... :unsure:.......hm!

If I was in ur position...it would kill me, but i would cut it off, cut it off. If it's not reverting after u try conditioner washes/ protein treatments etc etc... :icon_headshake: then u gotta let it go.

Now that doesnt mean it needs to be cut off all at one time. U could "transition" the damaged ends away and cut little at a time...but then u'd have to cut the rest of your healthy hair too to keep it all at one length.. unless you like uneven hair :dunno:

This is a hard lesson to learn, but one I'm sure it's one you won't forget next time around when you decide to trim. Let us know what you decide.

K.

sjdancer
12-24-2004, 11:40 PM
I think you should snip off the ends ofyour twists. IMHO, it's the heat that adds to your damage.

Ace9
12-24-2004, 11:52 PM
As mentioned before you don't have to straighten your hair to trim it. That's why those people if I go to the curve-salon will not get me under lock with their theory of hair health and what not through blow drying, or any heat process for that matter.

Those people doing your hair do not know how hot to make any comb...you would know. It's sort of like your taste in clothes. You probably won't like someone else buying you clothing...because no one knows your unique tastes.

So never do that. There's also a link above here that's a sticky about heat to hair that Dee created..read it next time before you get anything done.

I revcommend you cut everything. That is if you want even regrowth. And I'm sorry this had to happen to you, but just know your not the first.

A good way to trim in future, is go to the store and buy your own clippers. It may seem a bit daunting, but twist your hair into small twists..pull the twists...and trim a bit off of an end..then untwist when that's done, so you don't recut it again. I do this and split-ends are gone....Remember split-ends are at the end of the hair. Or you can have someone you trust do it for your. And iti doesn't take long, about 20 minutes and your done for the day.

You save on time and money. You'll probably never need to go to the salon again.

Link on Heat=Damage by Dee (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24408)

Fatty_Girl06
12-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi, same thing happened to me

I have bangs and I would straighten them and wear it with my pony puff (looked great) but after a few times the front hairs were fried straight...I wouldnt cut it if I was you, I would let it grow out and then slowly cut the ends with my normal trims