PDA

View Full Version : "No poo" method

luvmelocs
12-30-2004, 02:50 AM
How many of you have had to stop this method because you noticed a kind of smell to your locs. I can't explain it but with my hair it doesn't smell bad but it doesn't smell like roses. Everytime I try not to use a hair dryer in my hair or when I dip my hair in water in the morning it seems to have a "smell" to it and I'm nervous about putting too many products in it. Please help! :dunno:

[no relaxer since-can't remember!]
[method: Bradelocz]
[Loced 18 months today!]

Beryl
12-30-2004, 04:19 AM
I can't help you because I definitely "poo". However, I remember reading about "no poo" and the use of conditioners instead of shampoo.

What does "no poo" mean to you?

luvmelocs
12-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your reply Beryl! "No poo" means using just Suave's Naturals Conditioner Tropical Coconut.

HaitianPeach
12-31-2004, 02:36 PM
i dunno... personally... i wouldnt no poo and use products like gel, etc... so i guess my question would b what kind of products are you using? b/c if you are using things that will build up in your hair... then thats probably y your hair isnt feeling right. i try and no poo as much as possible since i wash my hair daily (i work out a lot)... but everytime i put some product in my hair i always wash it completely out with shampoo.
HTH

Simplyloc
12-31-2004, 03:03 PM
lUVMELOCS,

Congrats on your 18 months of locs! No pics!? Co'mon girl! Just joking LOL! ;)

No poo on locs? :dunno: I am not sure if this would be healthy, i would like to hear from others that are doing the same thing with locs...
Maybe you could try semi-poo? :pop:

What i like about washing my hair is the fact that it help remove buildup from my daily care regimen (Aloe vera gel/juice, oils, air polution etc...) but the most is that it help clean my scalp thus promoting healthy hair and growth. :wub:

I do not have a problem with No-poo but my concern would be the SMELL!
Bacteria causes smells where ever you have hair and sweat!
Kill the bacteria by washing with SHAMPOO, then you will know for sure if this was the problem...if the smell persist you might have to try a stronger shampoo with alcohol that kills bacteria---hopefully you do not have mold in them :shocker: ! Make sure you do not sleep with wet hair... Hope this help! Let us know!! :)

bajanempress
12-31-2004, 06:51 PM
I have a low-poo routine.

I use pantene hydrating curls conditioner but I use shampoo at least once every two weeks, sometimes more often.

I also use a clarifying shampoo on occassion to ensure I cleanse my locks thoroughly. I've been doing this for the last 6 months and have encountered no problems. My locks are almost two years old now and I've noticed no adverse smells.

luvmelocs
01-01-2005, 11:20 PM
Thank you all for all of your responses! The main reason that I stopped using shampoos is because I didn't want my locs to be dry and I like the soft way that my locs feel with the least amount of products. I didn't realize that perhaps maybe there may be a question of "bacteria"! Yuck! Who wants that! I like using Suave. I will try using their shampoo and then see what happens!

Haitianpeach I currently use Suave's Tropical Coconut Conditioner. :unsure:

Simplyloc I am considering gettings some pics together to show all of you! :blush:

laticca8
01-01-2005, 11:32 PM
I tried the no poo method when I wore my hair loose, but I never considered that for locs. I feared a build up problem since my hair was no longer loose.

W8N2XHL
01-01-2005, 11:44 PM
For loose hair, I can see the no poo method. For locs, I can't. Try using the Suave Clarifying shampoo. I believe you may be smelling the buildup of conditioner that is not completely rinsed out. I only use conditioners when I color my hair and the next day I will wash again with TresSemme Deep Cleansing Vitamin C shampoo to make sure all the conditioner is out. I then use my oil and water spritz for conditioning my locs and keeping them moist.

luvmelocs
01-04-2005, 02:17 AM
"For loose hair, I can see the no poo method. For locs, I can't. Try using the Suave Clarifying shampoo. I believe you may be smelling the buildup of conditioner that is not completely rinsed out. I only use conditioners when I color my hair and the next day I will wash again with TresSemme Deep Cleansing Vitamin C shampoo to make sure all the conditioner is out. I then use my oil and water spritz for conditioning my locs and keeping them moist."

I believe you are so right! How do I know? I went to the store and bought Suave Shampoo and haven't noticed the smell again. Plus...I noticed that it was easier to rinse! Thank you for your insight!