PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially an epi-lady

stillwater09
01-03-2005, 04:01 AM
i decided to try another epilator recently, after having one for years and neer working up the nerve to use it on my legs, only my arms. but now, I am SOOO tired of shaving my legs, which NEED to be done every day (but NOT), and pretty much i have stubble only hours later.

So i bought the Emjoi Gentle Caress Epilator. OK so it's not gentle and it doesn't 'caress' and i didn't really eMjoi it at first lol...but it's working for me. The first day i tried it on my legs i only got thru a small patch of hair on each, but the next day i completed both. it hurt, and it's loud and scary, but i noticed something cool..once i got done with half of my leg hair it got remarkably easy, i was actually smilin! :D Now the thing that sucks is that even if you pull all the hair you can you still have a little stubble if some of the hairs are too short, so i've been doing this almost every day to clear the new hair that's coming in, but it no longer hurts like it did the first day, and my legs LOOK smooth and feel about 90% smooth.

If you have leg hair but are tired of shaving all the time, give this a try! PS I've waxed my legs before and this does not COMPARE to that torture!! Next i'm going to try the bikini line :shocker:

tamnicsmi
01-03-2005, 04:06 AM
please keep me updated on how it works on the bikini area. I would be very interested in that.

tjolims
01-03-2005, 04:47 AM
:icon_headshake: You are a braver woman than I; I could not deal with the epilation sensation at all!

Hamira
01-03-2005, 04:53 AM
I own an epilator that I bought for the exact same reason (tired of shaving, etc.) It hurt like a mother!! :o It got better as I was using it, but whenever I stop for a while and try to start up again after shaving for a few weeks it just gets tense and I put it off and maybe cry a little lol. Question: do you shower with warm water first to soften the hairs or do you epilate cold turkey?

ETA: Say no to bikini line epilation :icon_eek13: :icon_headshake:

Sekhmet
01-03-2005, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Delushious@Jan 2 2005, 09:53 PM
ETA: Say no to bikini line epilation :icon_eek13: :icon_headshake:

O-kay!

I've owned an EpiLady for years. I got it in college as a Christmas gift from my cousin who thinks women should be hairless. :rolleyes: He didn't think that ish was funny when I turned that sucker on and put it on his arm! :D

Anyway, my "secret" of an almost painless epilation is this: shave the legs first, then use your epilator every night afterwards as the stubble grows in. It just seems less painful for it to catch those few sporadic shorter hairs than a legful of longer ones. This way, it's pulling out fewer hairs at a time. And besides, I have build up a tolerance over time. :(

Delushious, I prefer dry legs with the skin pulled taut.

stillwater09
01-03-2005, 07:27 AM
we have similar methods. i do use it after a shower on dry legs, so i wait maybe 5 minutes or so after toweling and do it in the warmth of the bathroom. i also epilated stubble, not long hairs! so when i first got it, i shaved about 2-3 days before, then started with the epilator, now i just keep up with it, no more shaving for me...

when i try the bikini line it will be the same, shower, stubble, and hopefully no more bikini waxes. the kini waxes arent as bad as leg waxing to me, just a pain to go have it done.

i also want to try it on my underarms but i'm chicken right now. they have never been waxed so i don't know how much pain to expect!

Delush--you are right this is one of those things you want to keep doing...i will not shave in between at all, that way i won't have to start from sqaure one again :)

right now it's SOOO worth it.

mommamaybell
01-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Interesting.........how much does it cost and where can you buy it?

Hamira
01-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@Jan 3 2005, 12:04 AM
Anyway, my "secret" of an almost painless epilation is this: shave the legs first, then use your epilator every night afterwards as the stubble grows in. It just seems less painful for it to catch those few sporadic shorter hairs than a legful of longer ones.

Originally posted by stillnappy@Jan 3 2005, 02:27 AM
i also epilated stubble, not long hairs! so when i first got it, i shaved about 2-3 days before, then started with the epilator, now i just keep up with it, no more shaving for me...

This makes so much sense in retrospect. I usially let it grow out a bit then epilate :doh Now I need to go and dig that thing out <_<

@ mommamaybell: Mine was $50 or $59.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I&#39;ll need to find it to get the brand though. I&#39;ve had it for almost 6 years now and it&#39;s held up great.

stillwater09
01-04-2005, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by mommamaybell@Jan 3 2005, 04:04 PM
Interesting.........how much does it cost and where can you buy it?

this is what i got and where i purchased :)

EMJOI (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=70371&catid=50621&tab=1&crpg=2#1)

Hamira
01-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Okay, this is going to be such a stupid question (I just know it is) but, when you say that the body builds a tolerance for the pain and the nerve endings don&#39;t hurt as much, does this also effect sensation on your legs in general? :unsure: For example, will you still be able to feel a small bug crawling on your leg? :unsure: ^_^

:huh:

Well I warned you didn&#39;t I? <_<

stillwater09
01-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Delushious@Jan 3 2005, 10:24 PM
Okay, this is going to be such a stupid question (I just know it is) but, when you say that the body builds a tolerance for the pain and the nerve endings don&#39;t hurt as much, does this also effect sensation on your legs in general? :unsure: For example, will you still be able to feel a small bug crawling on your leg? :unsure: ^_^

:huh:

Well I warned you didn&#39;t I? <_<

:pointlaugh: :pointlaugh:
OMG girl that was a good laugh. i think you just get use to the feeling for one..plus you don&#39;t have as much hair as long as you keep it up. my legs are still pretty sensitive :)

gotta feel those bugs before they go too far! :unsure: :shocker:

stillwater09
01-07-2005, 09:05 PM
A few more tips :D :

If you are doing it for the first time and have a leg full of hair like i did, i suggest that instead of working with a small area at a time, you go over the entire leg in downward strokes to thin out the hair and get used to the feeling. this worked MUCH better for me, and when i was about halfway done i kinda smiled like &#39;WOW, it IS doable!&#39; then i was able to do circle and upward strokes.

Also something i&#39;m trying is introducing it to the new scary body parts--underarms and bikini. i&#39;m going to start with under the arm and my plan is to do it very gradually . i shaved the area completely, and i plan to epilate every day, including today (though there&#39;s no hair) to just get used to the scariness and sensation, then as the hair comes in it should be a little easier to bear. (i&#39;ll let you guys know!)

then i&#39;ll work the bikini the same way. if the bikini doesn&#39;t work out, i&#39;ll get it waxed then start gradually.

i also must say that it doesnt hurt on the legs anymore. BUT i still haven&#39;t been 100% hair free, i don&#39;t know if its the equipment or what, i suspected before that it was breaking a few of the hairs instead of pulling, but i still can&#39;t really tell.

moonchild
01-09-2005, 07:24 AM
I am one HAIRY individual. In middle school and high school, hair removal became one of my private obsessions. I had one of the first ones, The Epilady I think. It hurt like heck, but I was too driven towards the end result. I also bought a unit that Braun or someone put out years later that looked sort of like Emjoi. It has been years! YEARS!! since i&#39;ve used those units. My first waxing session from the yoni to the ankle was holy heck!!! I went back to shaving, esp. lower leg because waxing is a was of time and money below the knee.

I might have to see if i can dig up my unit cause I&#39;m tiring of shaving. I liked Nads but it was too messy. Nair is good in a pinch if you don&#39;t mind standing naked for 5 minutes and smelling like you just p.ermed your head.

Hmm....epilation might be worth another look!!

jenniferb
04-18-2005, 10:28 PM
does nair actually work? i&#39;ve never used it before and always thought it smelled funny. . .

stillwater09
04-19-2005, 03:45 AM
nair works like shaving, results very temporary. it melts the hair using the same ingredients as a relaxer lol...i think. doesn&#39;t go below into the hair shaft, and yes most of them REAALLLY stink!

Sekhmet
04-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Uh, Stillnappy, how&#39;s that bikini-underarm project going? :unsure: Or did you let that go? ^_^

@ JenniferB - Nair works. Yes, it stinks. I still use it for the bikini area.

cmsheart
04-21-2005, 12:29 AM
ok so the results really last for 6 weeks? and where else has anyone used this product? i&#39;m so interested

stillwater09
04-21-2005, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@Apr 18 2005, 08:21 PM
Uh, Stillnappy, how&#39;s that bikini-underarm project going? :unsure: Or did you let that go? ^_^

lol! wayell, the bikini line is coming along. i can&#39;t do the underarms though....i just can&#39;t . i got a bikini wax in feb and have been &#39;maintaining&#39; it myself. i&#39;m scared to get my underarms waxecd though, so i&#39;m still shaving that ONE area lol.

Khalliqa
04-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Peace and Blessings,

Is this really supposed to last for six weeks?

Peace,
Khalliqa

stillwater09
04-21-2005, 05:55 AM
@ cmsheart
this thread kinda veered off to nair so i&#39;m not sure if you are talking about that or epilating. epilating is a tricky thing. i&#39;ve learned quite a bit about it! if you are needed something to do for a special occassion--WAX. epilating is sort of a process, because your hair grows at different rates. from my experience it&#39;s like you epilate the first time--OUCH :shocker: , then a few days later more hair (that was under the skin at the time) emerges plus there will be some broken hairs...and you gotta do it again (not so much ouch this time)...this can go on for a month or so, so while your legs LOOK smooth, to the touch there will be short hairs here and there. it nothing like &#39;stubble&#39; to me, it just feels different. to me it&#39;s still TOTALLY worth it...toooottaalllly.

right now looking at my legs (and having not epilated in about 2 weeks, i have hairs visable close up, that are thinner than my &#39;razor&#39; legs and cannot cut like my stubble use to cut.

i&#39;m hoping that over time, it&#39;ll get thinner and thinner and disappear...poof. very noticeable difference though.

last 6 weeks, no...but mainly because you don&#39;t want to wait til ALL you hair grows back cause you&#39;ll be back to OUCH!!! :shocker: i do it ever 2 weeks or so.

Khalliqa
04-21-2005, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by stillnappy@Apr 21 2005, 01:55 AM
last 6 weeks, no...but mainly because you don&#39;t want to wait til ALL you hair grows back cause you&#39;ll be back to OUCH!!! :shocker: i do it ever 2 weeks or so.

Peace and Blessings,

Is there no stubble for two weeks?

Peace,
Khalliqa

mommamaybell
04-25-2005, 07:35 PM
With epilating does anyone have problems with ingrown hairs?

stillwater09
06-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by stillnappy+Apr 20 2005, 09:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Sekhmet@Apr 18 2005, 08:21 PM

lol! wayell, the bikini line is coming along. i can&#39;t do the underarms though....i just can&#39;t . i got a bikini wax in feb and have been &#39;maintaining&#39; it myself. i&#39;m scared to get my underarms waxed though, so i&#39;m still shaving that ONE area lol.

[/b]

bumping cause i&#39;m doing the bikini line now, it&#39;s really great. yes it hurts at first but the pain stops while you are doing it. i think it&#39;s better than waxing personally, cause you can start and stop, and do as much as you want.

Sekhmet
06-01-2005, 04:55 AM
Brave soul! ^_^

stillwater09
06-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by mommamaybell@Apr 25 2005, 11:35 AM
With epilating does anyone have problems with ingrown hairs?

you have to be really careful with exfoliation...but the plus side is that exfoliation is GREAT! i use the gloves, and have 2 pair, one forthe bikini area and one for everything else, i pretty much use them in each shower.

stillwater09
06-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Sekhmet@May 31 2005, 08:55 PM
Brave soul! ^_^

lol :D