PDA

View Full Version : dumb *** comments from coworkers

alysimone
01-07-2005, 03:50 AM
how do you handle co-workers that make stupid comments about your hair thinking they being funny or complimentingyou...there's one guy at my job who always has a foxy brown or cleopatra jones or some other joke re: blaxploitation movies ready when he sees me..especially if i'm rockin a fro...he gives a regualr compliment first then throws that crap in ..then wants to touch my hair...and no lie starts looking all wistful and actually has said..i wish i was black and had cool hair and a cool culture like you ...i am at a loss for words with this man...i go from thanking him for the compliment to a polite smirk as i try to hold my anger in to perplexed to feeling sorry for him...

caraqueen
01-30-2005, 12:08 AM
I get those comments too. As soon as they start up...OOps I have a phone call. gotta go to the ladies room, Hi Marsha how are you.I just dismiss them. They are way too stupid to express that they like your hair without making complete idiots of themselves.

Godsgem
01-30-2005, 04:41 PM
I typically don't get offended. But I feel like SOME white-American people are so envious of Black culture. They like it and wish they had some culture of their own. They just don't know how to appropriately express their admiration. Like you, I feel sorry for them too. As far as comments I've gotten them from Black coworkers as well. One brotha used to always call me Angela and throw up his fist. I took it as a compliment. I'd rather hear those kind of comments than people asking me why I don't wear my hair straight or say how pretty I WAS when they see pictures of me with a perm.

Jmeezay
01-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Surprisingly, I don't have any negative work experiences. My white supervisor (who gets on my nerves in MANY other ways) loves my hair and tells me so all the time. My asian co-worker/friend thinks its great too and compliments me a lot too.

She was initially confused by my hair going from straight to natural (she's led a VERY sheltered life) but now she adores it.

I will admit that I am concerned about how I will be perceived at this interview on Thursday, but I'm pretty sure it'll be ok.

PrincessDrRe
02-07-2005, 04:40 PM
I sometimes wonder if my boss is being nosy about my hair or is being judgemental.....

:dunno:

Can't tell yet....

caraqueen
02-12-2005, 01:18 PM
I can handle the Foxy Brown type of comments. What really gets under my skin is certain people in the office making comments like...you like you stuck your finger in an electrical socket..., or do you wash that ...or
what kind of haircut is that?, then break out in hysterical laughter. i just look at them like the idiot they are and let them know they are not funny..the only person that they seem to be amusing is themselves. I think that it depends on the person. These comments normally come from people who are stupid and ignorant all across the board and it is only natural for them to say stuff that are offensive about my hair. I just chalk them up as really stupid people who cannot express themselves because I feel that if they didn&#39;t like it they would not feel the need to constantly discuss it. Now touching it is another matter all together I had one that not only like to comment all the time but felt like he had to reach out and touch it. I had to give him a good talking to. :icon_headshake: <_<

pwr_puff
02-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Godsgem@Jan 30 2005, 10:41 AM
I typically don&#39;t get offended. But I feel like SOME white-American people are so envious of Black culture. They like it and wish they had some culture of their own. They just don&#39;t know how to appropriately express their admiration. Like you, I feel sorry for them too. As far as comments I&#39;ve gotten them from Black coworkers as well. One brotha used to always call me Angela and throw up his fist. I took it as a compliment. I&#39;d rather hear those kind of comments than people asking me why I don&#39;t wear my hair straight or say how pretty I WAS when they see pictures of me with a perm.

same here.
-i get the negative comments from from black folks.
last week i had some jokers snickering at my B.A.A. they started singing Floetry songs n&#39;stuff. i just took it as a compliment. :afro:

Tenkei
02-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by pwr_puff@Feb 12 2005, 03:47 PM
same here.
-i get the negative comments from from black folks.
last week i had some jokers snickering at my B.A.A. they started singing Floetry songs n&#39;stuff. i just took it as a compliment. :afro:

It funny how they do that. But why is it always a relation to someone else? :icon_eek13: