PDA

View Full Version : No Colors Available for Black Women

NappyGoddesse
01-14-2005, 02:39 PM
I needed an emergency powder compact until my order arrives from The Body Shop, so on my way to work I stopped at Kroger to grab a Cover Girl in the darkest shade. I walked down the aisle and found the makeup section, scanned the various shades of ivory, honey, translucent, beige, and tan shades and did not see my color (Soft Sable). Must be a mistake, I thought, as I looked again,... and again. Nope, not one Soft Sable to be found. Just my luck, I thought again. Then I got a hunch to check for the shade one lighter from mine, the one my mother and sister wear. No, not even their shade. I looked for any darker shades in the Cover Girl section of the store; none in the translucent powder, the full coverage powder, the shine free powder, the foundation, whipped powder - whatever they had available to make the face shine free, wrinkle free, or transperant was not available in any darker shades (you know they only have three, anyway, since sistahs come in three shades, and pale faces must come in twenty or more!). I started to get really irritated, and thought, okay, maybe the cover girl is just out of darker shades, since Savannah seems to be majority black most times. I decided to search each brand for a darker shade powder and just hope it wouldn't break me out. I start walking: Maybelline, Loreal, Almay, Physicians Formula, Revlon, even a generic brand: NONE OF THEM HAD NOT ONE SHADE FOR DARKER COMPLEXIONS, NOT ONE!!!!! I was FURIOUS and made my way to the Customer Care counter to file a complaint and demand an explanation. There was a young black girl working there and I asked her politely for a manager and then for the person in charge of ordering makeup. She looked at me funny, so I proceeded to tell her that there was not an ounce of makeup for black women in the store. She called the manager in charge of that section, and I have to admit that I expected some white globbed up woman to come strolling out of the back. No such luck - the manager in charge of the makeup section was none other than a black woman! I was thinking: What the hell??? So I asked her why there was no makeup in the store for black women and she just smirked at me and told me that she didn't order the stuff and she would talk to the person who came in to place an order for what they needed. I just walked away - I don't like to not be taken seriously when my complaint was valid. :( AND YOU WOULD THINK THAT OF ALL PEOPLE, A BLACK WOMAN WOULD UNDERSTAND. YOU WOULD THINK THAT BEING IN CHARGE OF THAT SECTION, SHE WOULD MAKE SURE THAT THERE WAS MAKEUP PROVIDED FOR BLACK WOMEN -- I WOULD.

The story's not over, however. I was still fuming when I ran across the block to the CVS Pharmacy. They have everything in there and I often run in there to find conditioner and other little toiletries I may need. Well I go in there and go straight to the Cover Girl section. Nada. I think my head about exploded. Once again, I saw every shade under the sun for white women, but not even one shade (at least a lighter one) for black women. I took another walk, and the story was the same: no other brand had any darker shades available. :angry: I didn't even bother speaking to anyone - just came to work. I am so frustrated and need for someone to explain to me why there was no makeup available to me as it is available to white women.

Even better: why do white women have over 20 something shades available to them when they don't come in all those shades; and why are there usually only 3 shades available for black women: medium, dark, and darker? :icon_eek13: I have noticed this when its time to shop for powder - I don't wear a lot of makeup (I hate foundation), but as a darker complexioned black woman, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO WALK INTO A STORE AND PICK UP A COMPACT JUST AS ANY WHITE WOMAN CAN DO. I WANT TO SEE COLORS AVAILABLE IN A SPECTRUM THAT RANGE FROM RED UNDERTONES, TO YELLOW UNDERTONES, AND EVEN GREEN because black women have those, too. I don't want to have to go to a special counter "just for me" at the mall when I should be able to run into any store and find a shade for me at the regular brands, the most common brands. I am so angry at the apparent racism that America continues to throw out at us, and then get angry when someone calls them out for it. Halle Berry, Queen Latifah, and all the other beautiful black women who model and advertise for these small-minded cosmetic companies should demand differently or refuse to show their face on any box that represent ALL BLACK WOMEN. Enough is enough and I'm going to do something about it, starting with the local newspaper and magazines. :Angry_boese008:

I just needed to vent, to know if any of you have the same problem, and to get myself fired up for my newest inspiration; demanding black women be given the same courtesy and options as white women when it comes to cosmetics. I'm working on the article, right now!

Midoria
01-15-2005, 02:01 AM
That's why the only cosmetics I buy are from Mac or Prescriptives.

edi2463
01-15-2005, 02:07 AM

Ditto. I have been a makeup artist for almost 20 yrs, and they are by far the best for women of color. I cant tell you how many lines I have worked for, and couldnt wear any of their products(even lipsticks). It isnt just about the colors, it is also about the tones. They cost more than the drug store stuff, but, the quality is better, and, they consider us a viable market.

brit37564
01-15-2005, 02:52 AM
i totally agree.
and for real, why ~do~ they make 2 dozen shades of beige but only like 3 shades of brown? i can never find my precise shade of coppery honey golden brown, but white women got rows and rows of shades to choose from! they only come in pale, tan, and tanning-bed-burnt, so what's up with that?
white folks. :doh

TooXquisite
01-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Girl, you are not lying. They have every shade under the sun for everybody but us. I guess I'll go google MAC.

beautfiul
01-15-2005, 05:40 AM
i agree i am not much of a make up wearer and mostly because it is usually to pale for me or to red (light skinned sista with some funny undertones) and that is insane because even when light we have many tones and the same with dark....... but i have been told about MAC and since i see that some of u use it, when i get some doe i will go and get some because that other crap either make me look beatup or fake pale............... so annoying ...... seperate but equal hunh........ u know sometimes i dont know about the EQUAL, but i definitely see the SEPERATE

beautfiul
01-15-2005, 06:40 AM
i agree i am not much of a make up wearer and mostly because it is usually to pale for me or to red (light skinned sista with some funny undertones) and that is insane because even when light we have many tones and the same with dark....... but i have been told about MAC and since i see that some of u use it, when i get some doe i will go and get some because that other crap either make me look beatup or fake pale............... so annoying ...... seperate but equal hunh........ u know sometimes i dont know about the EQUAL, but i definitely see the SEPERATE

afrodite2103
01-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Midoria@Jan 15 2005, 02:01 AM

prescriptives is AWESOME!!! but a lot of stores don't carry it anymore.

*a

innervisions
01-15-2005, 06:50 PM
You're right. My sister can wear drug store shades (I guess she got lucky) but I can't. They make me look ashy or dirty. So I have to spend my hard-earned money on $20-$30 foundations while she can pick up something for $7. It does make me mad at times. But thats just a part of the white privilege that we don't enjoy.

NappyGoddesse
01-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Prescriptives? What's that and where can I find it? I LOVED MAC when I used it, but back in the day it got a little too expensive for a poor campus-working college freshman! I may have to invest in that, again!

babynichole
01-16-2005, 12:26 AM
@ NappyGoddesse

I couldn't copy the exact link to the store locator, but you can look up the locations on prescriptives website @ http://www.prescriptives.com

I only use their foundation, because it is the only foundation that matches my skin tone. Also, you can order a custom shade if they don't have your exact color.

I personally believe that Prescriptives sells some of the best foundation in terms of the variety of coverages and colors.

Opportunitylocks
01-16-2005, 10:19 AM
yea it is hard. I agree that if you probably will have to go to the department store for some better matches. Oh and to the broke college students out there go to the makeup counters and try on some shades. When you find one you like write it down, tell the hounding makeup artists you'll think about it and, and go to ebay and find the color you wrote down. More than likely you'll find it at half ( sometimes more than half) the price.

LadyCaramel
01-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Better than that, you can custom blend makeups at a site called Reflect.com. If you get it and it doesn't match exactly or isn't what you wanted, you can just send it right back. It's wonderful, and the lipglosses are great.

ReddyLoques
01-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I use loreal true match foundation and powder and luckily i have not had any trouble finding it at cvs or walgreens stores.. I started buying it because of beyonce doing the commercials.. and I figured if it can make her look flawless, it should make me look good too.. I love it, and the only MAC i use these days is my lipglass and lipsticks (i'll never give that up)

but I feel ya on looking for black lady shades in the store because at the Jewel/Osco I shop at there is NEVER any of my shade in Loreal.. but they have 15 shades of white girl beige.. Keep in mind that there are no white girls to be found in that area of town for miles and miles and miles.. but if they should happen to wander to the south side of chicago, there's plenty of loreal for them there.

marissasensei
01-17-2005, 02:23 AM
@ Nappygoddess,

Were the stores in predom white neighborhoods? Maybe those stores were just stocking the shades most in demand among their customers? :dunno:

YoGirlToo
01-17-2005, 04:16 AM
i've noticed that too, but i don't say nothing- -however i find the walgreens/ cvs in the black neigborhoods have my colors- so that's where i go

vicchnu
01-17-2005, 04:38 AM
In defense of the stores, (I use to work retail in college) their priority is to move product off the shelves. Where I worked our ordering/ purchasing was automated. If a product we ordered failed to sell in a number of units in specific time frame, then that product may not be ordered again. Let’s say he ordered 10 dark skin Almay powders in May, and one was only sold within a month and it took about 8 months for the full 10 to move off the shelves, That product will not be ordered because it was not enough purchases within a given time to justify the cost of taking shelf space from a fast moving product.

PrincessDrRe
01-18-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by TooXquisite+Jan 14 2005, 10:02 PM-->
Girl, you are not lying. They have every shade under the sun for everybody but us. I guess I'll go google MAC.

[/b]

Going to check out MAC now.......

Originally posted by babynichole@Jan 15 2005, 07:26 PM
@ NappyGoddesse

I couldn't copy the exact link to the store locator, but you can look up the locations on prescriptives website @ http://www.prescriptives.com

I only use their foundation, because it is the only foundation that matches my skin tone. Also, you can order a custom shade if they don't have your exact color.

I personally believe that Prescriptives sells some of the best foundation in terms of the variety of coverages and colors.

Checkin' them out too......

<!--QuoteBegin-LadyCaramel@Jan 16 2005, 06:13 AM
Better than that, you can custom blend makeups at a site called Reflect.com. If you get it and it doesn&#39;t match exactly or isn&#39;t what you wanted, you can just send it right back. It&#39;s wonderful, and the lipglosses are great.

....and dem too.....

:pop:

Somebody is going to make my shade!!!

clover
01-18-2005, 05:55 PM
The only drug store brand of makeup that I can wear is Black Opal. Their foundation and powder matches my complexion and looks very natural. For whatever reason ULTA has stopped carrying this line but I was able to pick up a few products for 1/2 price from the sale bins.

Pretyblkgrl
01-23-2005, 12:18 AM
I use a custom-made foundation by Elizabeth Arden. They take pictures of your skin with special equipment, ask you questions of what kind of coverage you want, etc. , then make a custom foundation for you skin. I love it. It&#39;s the exact color and coverage I want. :) It&#39;s pricey ($40 a bottle) however I don&#39;t wear foundation all that often, and if you bring the empty bottle back for a refill, you get a 20% discount, and they fill up trial bottle for you for free! I keep those in my travel makeup bag.

subbrock
01-23-2005, 02:42 AM
i love MAC. and in my life before MAC, i wore prescriptives!

Cococure
01-23-2005, 05:36 AM
I currenty wear MAC even though I can only just barely afford it. I haven&#39;t been wearing that much makeup for that long so I don&#39;t know if I&#39;m qualified to speak on the matter. I&#39;ve been told that MAC isn&#39;t as good now as it used to be. Something about the quality dropping a little when the company was bought out by Estee Lauder. Supposedly that was also about the time when they discontinued a bunch of products. But I didn&#39;t wear makeup then so I don&#39;t know the difference. MAC works for me.

My Mom used to use a line that was available at Shopper&#39;s Drug Mart called Shades of You. As you can tell by the name it was specifically geared to women of color. I&#39;m pretty sure that it was made by Maybelline. From what I read poor sales caused the company to fold the line in 1999.

Since then my Mom swiched to Black Opal products. That was the line Shopper&#39;s Drug mart brought in to replace Shades of You. They also have the Nacara (http://www.nacaracosmetics.com/) line in some stores. I have yet to try it but I&#39;ve heard nothing but good things about it.

All I want is makeup in my shade that doesn&#39;t cost an arm and a leg. :dunno:

SiennaMoonshine
02-21-2005, 02:32 PM
I was beginning to think that I was the only person who noticed this trend. What is also wierd is that when I go to areas where there is more selection (and usually more white people), these are far from the &#39;hood. I find the correct shades in makeup and pantyhose with little problem.

I think its a conspiracy. But why -- our money still spends, dosen&#39;t it ?

:dunno:

Twistie74
02-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by YoGirlToo@Jan 16 2005, 11:16 PM
i&#39;ve noticed that too, but i don&#39;t say nothing- -however i find the walgreens/ cvs in the black neigborhoods have my colors- so that&#39;s where i go

I noticed that first hand.

My foundation of choice is Black Opal. I&#39;ve stuck with it for some years now and don&#39;t plan on giving it up because I like the coverage and I like how natural looking it is.

I ran out to the very last corner of my foundation so I jetted to the CVS near the harbor only to find out that they just stopped carrying Black Opal cosmetics all around. I was highly upset.

Only when I randomly went into a CVS walking home from a restaurant did I find my Black Opal, up near a predominantly Black area. :icon_headshake:

coolhandlulu
02-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by vicchnu@Jan 16 2005, 11:38 PM
In defense of the stores, (I use to work retail in college) their priority is to move product off the shelves. Where I worked our ordering/ purchasing was automated. If a product we ordered failed to sell in a number of units in specific time frame, then that product may not be ordered again. Let’s say he ordered 10 dark skin Almay powders in May, and one was only sold within a month and it took about 8 months for the full 10 to move off the shelves, That product will not be ordered because it was not enough purchases within a given time to justify the cost of taking shelf space from a fast moving product.

My little insight goes along what vicchnu was saying. Basically, black women don&#39;t use makeup to the extent that white women use it. I&#39;m kinda glad I got good genes and I don&#39;t need to or feel the need to use makeup a regular basis. I was the cosmetic girl at a drugstore when I was in school and WE just don&#39;t buy those products like that. The colors in the darker shades always needed a good dusting and many times had to be sent back because the product was old and separating.

wildandkinky
02-22-2005, 07:02 PM
I&#39;m on the other side of the fence. 90% of make up samples suit me. If there are 8 colours in a line, I can wear 4 of them for the evening and two of them for the day without it being noticeable.
There is something strange about that.
What I see is that most white women wear makeup too dark for them and a lot of darker women wearing something too light.

utamu
09-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I noticed that first hand.

My foundation of choice is Black Opal. I&#39;ve stuck with it for some years now and don&#39;t plan on giving it up because I like the coverage and I like how natural looking it is.

I ran out to the very last corner of my foundation so I jetted to the CVS near the harbor only to find out that they just stopped carrying Black Opal cosmetics all around. I was highly upset.

Only when I randomly went into a CVS walking home from a restaurant did I find my Black Opal, up near a predominantly Black area. :icon_headshake:
[/b]

Yep, two years later it is still like this. I ran all over town looking for a powder foundation in my shade and it was only a Rite Aid in the hood that had Black Opal powder I was looking for. Mind you, some of the other Rite Aids had Black Opal but only in the lighter brown shades. I guess having mahogany skin is inherently ghetto :rolleyes:

I would stick to MAC but the powders are too chalky against my complexion, Black Opal blends extremely well and is cheaper to boot.

ChaoticSoul
09-13-2007, 01:40 AM
I use loreal true match foundation and powder and luckily i have not had any trouble finding it at cvs or walgreens stores.. I started buying it because of beyonce doing the commercials.. and I figured if it can make her look flawless, it should make me look good too.. I love it, and the only MAC i use these days is my lipglass and lipsticks (i&#39;ll never give that up)

but I feel ya on looking for black lady shades in the store because at the Jewel/Osco I shop at there is NEVER any of my shade in Loreal.. but they have 15 shades of white girl beige.. Keep in mind that there are no white girls to be found in that area of town for miles and miles and miles.. but if they should happen to wander to the south side of chicago, there&#39;s plenty of loreal for them there.
[/b]

I use this too in the darkest shade Cocoa and I haven&#39;t had any problems finding it and it matches very well. Out of all the commercial lines I like this best because I can&#39;t really afford the others. But took me awhile to find this because I was skeptical due to the disappointment of the other lines

Claire76
09-13-2007, 10:07 AM
You&#39;re right. My sister can wear drug store shades (I guess she got lucky) but I can&#39;t. They make me look ashy or dirty. So I have to spend my hard-earned money on $20-$30 foundations while she can pick up something for $7. It does make me mad at times. But thats just a part of the white privilege that we don&#39;t enjoy.
[/b]

Lucky? Why?

I don&#39;t think it&#39;s luck so much as ignorance on the part of the people who own the stores.

(Sorry. I couldn&#39;t help noticing your choice of words.)

I never find appropriate shades of foundation, concealer, or powder in drug stores. If I want quality I wind up buying MAC or heading to Sephora.

Meanwhile at the drug stores....I would like the cosmetic companies to define "dark". I can&#39;t help noticing how the foundations and powders are categorized. <_< To them, it seems that "dark" means someone who has Beyonce&#39;s complexion.

And I tell you...I have a friend who called me "light" once. But I&#39;m darker than B.

The lack of variety is a tad insulting to me. Covergirl, for instance, claims to match 97% of skin tones. to their credit, They have a line of sheer lipsticks that I love. (I wear their "Chocolate Shine" shade, for example.) Yet the other day at Walmart I noticed that the available shades of foundation ended somewhere around a mid-beige color.

If they show women who are darker than me in their television commercials, the store shelves should reflect the same amount of diversity. <_<

ETA:

What I see is that most white women wear makeup too dark for them and a lot of darker women wearing something too light.[/b]

I&#39;m betting that those dark-skinned women are doing what I used to do: Take a shade from the shelf that only kinda-sorta went with their skin, and settle because they can&#39;t afford anything else or don&#39;t know that there&#39;s better stuff out there. (Maybelline&#39;s Caramel shade of foundation is a good example from my past.)

Mangachan
09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I can never find colors that match me that aren&#39;t expensive. Whenever I get powder, it crumbles. :Angry: I don&#39;t even bother anymore. I would rather have pretty skin without havin to use makeup.

monappy28
09-13-2007, 05:47 PM
It is very hard to find makeup for women of color in the drugstores. I have used Mary Kay foundation for quite some time and I like it alot. I don&#39;t like heavy foundations so I use their tinted moisturizer and bronzing powder. I have been looking to try MAC but I fear that it will be too heavy or break me out <_< I h ave been looking for Cover Girls Queen Collection but haven&#39;t been able to find it. I searched and saw that they sell it in two drug stores in my town. That&#39;s It! Only Two. That is very telling.....

Karibana
09-14-2007, 05:46 AM
That is funny because up here I have no problem finding makeup for dark skinned women in drug stores. I use Maybelline&#39;s Pure makeup for my foundation. When I went up north last August, 9 hours drive north to a mining town, I was suprised to find my colour there. True it was also a college and university town so there a few black students around but I didn&#39;t think there were enough to justify the drugstore to carry all the shades. Then the next day I went to have breakfast and I saw this caucasian waitress who had and orange colour to her face. I first thougt fake-tan mismatch until I realized she looked like Julius Caesar (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40974000/jpg/_40974078_hinds.jpg) in Rome. I then realized who was really buying the dark shade foundations :rolleyes:

cmsheart
10-06-2007, 07:35 PM
So glad this thread exists. I have to start wearing make-up for my professional look now <_< I&#39;m not liking the thought but normally when I don&#39;t like the thought of doing something it comes out alright.

Ok ladies, help me. When you started this whole make-up shenanigan stuff (sorry to say it this way), how did you learn to apply it? My mom wore it when she was younger and judging from her club shots, no one taught her how to apply it either - Barf-

I live in :unsure: little mexico/everything but black but I&#39;m going to shop for some of the names you all listed here.

Maybe I should just do a search here... hoping someone has a tutorial... :(

ReginaCarter
10-07-2007, 04:32 PM
I needed an emergency powder compact until my order arrives from The Body Shop, so on my way to work I stopped at Kroger to grab a Cover Girl in the darkest shade. I walked down the aisle and found the makeup section, scanned the various shades of ivory, honey, translucent, beige, and tan shades and did not see my color (Soft Sable). Must be a mistake, I thought, as I looked again,... and again. Nope, not one Soft Sable to be found. Just my luck, I thought again. Then I got a hunch to check for the shade one lighter from mine, the one my mother and sister wear. No, not even their shade. I looked for any darker shades in the Cover Girl section of the store; none in the translucent powder, the full coverage powder, the shine free powder, the foundation, whipped powder - whatever they had available to make the face shine free, wrinkle free, or transperant was not available in any darker shades (you know they only have three, anyway, since sistahs come in three shades, and pale faces must come in twenty or more!). I started to get really irritated, and thought, okay, maybe the cover girl is just out of darker shades, since Savannah seems to be majority black most times. I decided to search each brand for a darker shade powder and just hope it wouldn&#39;t break me out. I start walking: Maybelline, Loreal, Almay, Physicians Formula, Revlon, even a generic brand: NONE OF THEM HAD NOT ONE SHADE FOR DARKER COMPLEXIONS, NOT ONE!!!!! I was FURIOUS and made my way to the Customer Care counter to file a complaint and demand an explanation. There was a young black girl working there and I asked her politely for a manager and then for the person in charge of ordering makeup. She looked at me funny, so I proceeded to tell her that there was not an ounce of makeup for black women in the store. She called the manager in charge of that section, and I have to admit that I expected some white globbed up woman to come strolling out of the back. No such luck - the manager in charge of the makeup section was none other than a black woman! I was thinking: What the hell??? So I asked her why there was no makeup in the store for black women and she just smirked at me and told me that she didn&#39;t order the stuff and she would talk to the person who came in to place an order for what they needed. I just walked away - I don&#39;t like to not be taken seriously when my complaint was valid. :( AND YOU WOULD THINK THAT OF ALL PEOPLE, A BLACK WOMAN WOULD UNDERSTAND. YOU WOULD THINK THAT BEING IN CHARGE OF THAT SECTION, SHE WOULD MAKE SURE THAT THERE WAS MAKEUP PROVIDED FOR BLACK WOMEN -- I WOULD.

The story&#39;s not over, however. I was still fuming when I ran across the block to the CVS Pharmacy. They have everything in there and I often run in there to find conditioner and other little toiletries I may need. Well I go in there and go straight to the Cover Girl section. Nada. I think my head about exploded. Once again, I saw every shade under the sun for white women, but not even one shade (at least a lighter one) for black women. I took another walk, and the story was the same: no other brand had any darker shades available. :Angry: I didn&#39;t even bother speaking to anyone - just came to work. I am so frustrated and need for someone to explain to me why there was no makeup available to me as it is available to white women.

Even better: why do white women have over 20 something shades available to them when they don&#39;t come in all those shades; and why are there usually only 3 shades available for black women: medium, dark, and darker? :icon_eek13: I have noticed this when its time to shop for powder - I don&#39;t wear a lot of makeup (I hate foundation), but as a darker complexioned black woman, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO WALK INTO A STORE AND PICK UP A COMPACT JUST AS ANY WHITE WOMAN CAN DO. I WANT TO SEE COLORS AVAILABLE IN A SPECTRUM THAT RANGE FROM RED UNDERTONES, TO YELLOW UNDERTONES, AND EVEN GREEN because black women have those, too. I don&#39;t want to have to go to a special counter "just for me" at the mall when I should be able to run into any store and find a shade for me at the regular brands, the most common brands. I am so angry at the apparent racism that America continues to throw out at us, and then get angry when someone calls them out for it. Halle Berry, Queen Latifah, and all the other beautiful black women who model and advertise for these small-minded cosmetic companies should demand differently or refuse to show their face on any box that represent ALL BLACK WOMEN. Enough is enough and I&#39;m going to do something about it, starting with the local newspaper and magazines. :Angry_boese008:

I just needed to vent, to know if any of you have the same problem, and to get myself fired up for my newest inspiration; demanding black women be given the same courtesy and options as white women when it comes to cosmetics. I&#39;m working on the article, right now!
[/b]
I understand what you going through ,however what make you think that the lighter shades are ONLY for white women ?white women as latino women ,asian women ,black women have different skin tones ,a british woman skin tone is very different from an italian or greek woman ,you re saying all white women are only one skin tone which is not true .Probably that s what the people in the store u went to think about black women .They all come in medium and dark :( .
Next time drop by a Beauty supply and get a Milani powder they have all shades for different skin colors.The quality is good .

JeanBean
10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I have heared great things about Covergirl Queen Collection developed by Queen Latifah. Its readily available @ several drugstores, and the makeup line is pretty big.

cmsheart
10-08-2007, 07:34 AM
^^^ I was just thinking that! Can anyone share what they&#39;ve discovered in her product line? I&#39;m on my way to purchase my items today :( This is so hard. I wish my mommy were girly and knew how to do this stuff, she could have taught me something. Tears flow when I think about how boyish I am (not saying make-upless women are boyish so please don&#39;t try to read into that, heck I&#39;m anti-makeup myself but <_< as life dictates, it like telling an actress to never wear makeup EVER).

cmsheart
10-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Has anyone heard of Elf? Here, this is the site ELF (http://www.eyeslipsface.com/products.asp?dept_id=1039) I just stumbled upon it before I run out and buy all this crazy stuff I thought I&#39;d search. Feedback would be great if anyone has used this.

bigpuff 02
10-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Has anyone heard of Elf? Here, this is the site ELF (http://www.eyeslipsface.com/products.asp?dept_id=1039) I just stumbled upon it before I run out and buy all this crazy stuff I thought I&#39;d search. Feedback would be great if anyone has used this.
[/b]

i&#39;ve heard of it but never tried it. for a makeup tutorial, check out www.specktra.net. or stop by your local mac, bobbi brown, or prescriptives counter. hope that helps!

britni
10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
@ cmsheart: Not a makeup-wearer but just wanted to let you know that NP member vmerie has a makeup tutorial. You may have to pm her for the password or just do a member search to get to her fotki. I&#39;ve visited it; it&#39;s quite interesting and she&#39;s good at it! :)

Also, that&#39;s messed up that you "have" to wear makeup for your job. That&#39;s not fair if you don&#39;t want to do it!! :Angry:

cmsheart
10-12-2007, 04:10 PM
^^^ I :wub: you because you know exactly how unfair I feel this whole "image" thing is but honestly I see the difference and understand that they want to see a DETAILED person. At first I was like <_< :Angry: but now I understand the rules of this game (and yes, I&#39;ve even had to upgrade my wardrobe- think Tahari- but honestly its a designer that actually fits and I got it for less than what I&#39;ve been paying for other business suits - in terms of long term wear and at the outlet mall - what a deal!!!).

FYI- I bought L&#39;Oreal and it looks super cute on my skin tone and didn&#39;t cause breakouts. Bey and Kerri Washington are the spokesmodels for LO and I ended up buying a tone supposedly lighter than what Bey wears (and I know I&#39;m hecka-more darker than she is) and it matched perfectly. Not to mention the girl at Walgreen&#39;s gave me a hook up because I was frustrated and it was on sale buy 1 get the other free!

JeanBean
10-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I heard of Elf, they sell their products @ Strawberry&#39;s here in the city. It looks like its geared towards lighter pple, so I didnt really pay attention to the products they had.....

LuaBonita
10-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Girl, you are not lying. They have every shade under the sun for everybody but us. I guess I&#39;ll go google MAC.
[/b]
that pisses me off to no end! i at least thought that the tones and colors would be more varied for covergirl since the queen is one of their spokes models... NOPE

LuaBonita
10-14-2007, 10:49 AM
I heard of Elf, they sell their products @ Strawberry&#39;s here in the city. It looks like its geared towards lighter pple, so I didnt really pay attention to the products they had.....
[/b]
elf has the best concealer that ive ever used. plus its $1!!

leslielotuspetal
10-14-2007, 10:51 PM
You guys also might want to check out Cover FX.
Cover FX Skin Care Inc. (http://www.coverfx.com/index.html)
They seem to cover a lot of shades and be healthy for the skin too.
Medical Conditions (http://www.coverfx.com/conditions/conditions.html)
They also have a kiosk at Nordstrom Department Stores.
When I get some money, I am definitely going to be treating myself to this makeup line. The only thing is that I&#39;m not sure if I&#39;m their shade 45 or 65. The colors on the screen can be misleading at times...

rina_0324
10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
I don&#39;t wear much makeup but I&#39;d really like to go to Prescriptives and get colorprinted (http://www.prescriptives.com/custom/custom_blend_landing.tmpl). I heard that the custom blends that they gather from the colorprint are fabulous.

cmsheart
10-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Would this be a good buy?
Sephora (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P193016&categoryId=B70)

Just wondering because then I could cut down on buying individual colours although I haven&#39;t mastered/finished this whole 4 colour palette that I have right now. I&#39;m bored with the colours already because they range from like a pink to a pinkish-purple. I wanted to achieve Kerri&#39;s look:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8762/kerryportrait3ch0.png

But then I read in Essence ( <_< ok so I scanned it) that she uses a TON of foundation and heavy creams to cover up and I&#39;m like - no thanks....

this is so much work!!!! (just for laughs, cause this is probably what I look like to others without makeup)
http://www.mhrw.com/Resourses/tyrabanks00.jpg

Estela1234
11-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I ordered my mineral makeups from: www. lotusminerals.com.

Jess Tresses
11-01-2007, 11:55 AM
I know I am late, but I thought I would go ahead at add my two makeup cents. I don&#39;t use drug store lines, so I can&#39;t help you there.

I&#39;ve found great color matches witht the folowing brands:
Mary Kay, MAC, and Prescriptives Custom Blend and Milan Minerals for mineral makeup. I&#39;ve also heard great things about Becca Cosmetics, which is no longer carried at Sephora, so I believe you have to order online, and I&#39;ve used Clinique and think it&#39;s pretty nice as well. The key to foundation matching us, and looking natural, is matching our undertones correctly.

Jess Tresses
11-01-2007, 12:08 PM
So glad this thread exists. I have to start wearing make-up for my professional look now <_< I&#39;m not liking the thought but normally when I don&#39;t like the thought of doing something it comes out alright.

Ok ladies, help me. When you started this whole make-up shenanigan stuff (sorry to say it this way), how did you learn to apply it? My mom wore it when she was younger and judging from her club shots, no one taught her how to apply it either - Barf-

I live in :unsure: little mexico/everything but black but I&#39;m going to shop for some of the names you all listed here.

Maybe I should just do a search here... hoping someone has a tutorial... :(
[/b]

When my mom oticed I was lurking in the drugstore cosmetics isles for lip gloss and liners, she pumped the breaks and had my cousin come and throw a Mark Kay Party for all my friends and I. She showed us how to apply and blend foundation and powder, blush, line lipes, etc. (what&#39;s called "Basic Corrective") and a basic shadow application (lid-crease-highlight = midtone-darkest-lightest). That is pretty much the classic, fool proof way of applying shadow, although there are countless looks you can achieve with shadow. Anyway, there was also a great makeup artist at my Stila counter in Nordstrom and I picked up basic tips from her. When ever I went to MAC or Prescriptives I watched how they applied my makeup so that I could re-create it as closely as possible. And once you have that look down, you can just rotate the colors, essentially using the same technique with different colors. Looking at other people&#39;s makeup gives me lots of ideas too, and makeup books are also really nice (anything by Kevyn Aucoin, Iman&#39;s "The Beauty of Color" and Francois Nars&#39; "Makeup Up Your Mind"). I also go through magazines and look for pictures of great makeup and I also print out the MAC face charts that come out with the various collections. That also gives you a visual point of reference, and with the face charts, instructions, on how to create a look.

mstsruffin
11-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Ladies,

I used to sell Clinique and Mary Kay back in the day. I am going to tell you that most cosmetic companies goes where the money is. For example, let&#39;s say that you wear a color in Mocha and Sista Sally wears hers in Cinnamon. If the company is selling more Cinnamon and not enough Mocha, then eventually they will be discontinued. It used to make me mad too when I went to different stores and stands and saw that my color was the darkest that they had. (I am light-skinned with gold undertones.) I wear Mac and Clinique.
Clinique has a lot of darker shades that I have seen when I was working there. Their president is a black lady and now Clinique has advertised in Essence, Ebony, and many other mags. Mac, I do believe, has EVERY color under the sun.

Part of the reason that I don&#39;t shop in the convience store for makeup anymore, is that:
1. I couldn&#39;t find my shade.

2. If I did find a close match, I can&#39;t try it on in the store. I have to buy it and then hope they refund it.

3. Honestly, the department store brands last longer. (Mac, Clinique, Lauder, Fashion Fair, Bobbi Brown). I may spend $20-$30 on my foundation, but it would last me 6-8 months and I didn&#39;t care. I would take that any day over a $7 bottle that MAY not be my match and people would see that infamous "line of demarcation" on my jaw and neck.

clover
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Would this be a good buy?
Sephora (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P193016&categoryId=B70)

Just wondering because then I could cut down on buying individual colours although I haven&#39;t mastered/finished this whole 4 colour palette that I have right now. I&#39;m bored with the colours already because they range from like a pink to a pinkish-purple. I wanted to achieve Kerri&#39;s look:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8762/kerryportrait3ch0.png

But then I read in Essence ( <_< ok so I scanned it) that she uses a TON of foundation and heavy creams to cover up and I&#39;m like - no thanks....

this is so much work!!!! (just for laughs, cause this is probably what I look like to others without makeup)
http://www.mhrw.com/Resourses/tyrabanks00.jpg
[/b]
That makeup palette from Sephora seems like an awful lot to use up. If you have a tendency of using many different colors then it might be a good investment. Otherwise I&#39;d think it best to just use a few basic colors and just mix them up.

Kerri Washington looks totally washed out in that pic above...it&#39;s like their airbrushed the color out of her skin. :unsure: Interesting that she uses a lot of makeup cause I always admired how natural and brown her skin looks.

That Tyra pic is scary...looks like she slathered on Vaseline and went 1/2 a round with Mike Tyson. :lol:

cmsheart
11-01-2007, 08:13 PM
^^^ in the current mag of Essence (the one with Tameka & Usher) it talk about how Kerry uses a lot of and super heavy foundation to cover up :( I admire her beauty but I&#39;m not really her skin tone. And I see your point on that palette. Thanks.

Thanks JT

GalaxyGirl2012
11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
wow that palette is even bigger than the one derek and hansel used in zoolander

id think that it would be incredibly hard for black women to buy store bought colors cus we sometimes have some really interesting things going on with undertones. i think if i bought store foundation, i&#39;d need to use 3 colors.

i use prescriptives and its right on!

SiennaMoonshine
11-03-2007, 10:24 AM
If anyone likes mineral makeup, I really like Youngblood cosmetics. I buy their makeup on Amazon.com.
They have a number of shades, and if you are not sure, you can buy a sampler pack, so you can test them and find the best match for your skin.

sweetmatte
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I love prescriptives too!!! I finally broke down and had a consultation at macys and had it custom blended and it matches my skin tone PERFECTLY! I mean ppl complement me when I wear it about how even my skin tone is (hehe its not mee!! :lol: ) and best of all is gonna last me for years!! she said if it goes back, to just bring it in and they ll replace it for free!

No more drugstore searches!! I also got a concealer from them! I hated going to the drugstore looking for a foundation stick or forget the concealer sticks (white, white, and pink) and coming up with garbage!! Their concealer almost scares me it covers up so well!!!

The custom blend costs 67 and the concealer costs 27 or something... best thing I ever did for my skin and i am soooooo nto a makeup person!!

clover
11-07-2007, 09:16 AM
I love prescriptives too!!! I finally broke down and had a consultation at macys and had it custom blended and it matches my skin tone PERFECTLY! I mean ppl complement me when I wear it about how even my skin tone is (hehe its not mee!! :lol: ) and best of all is gonna last me for years!! she said if it goes back, to just bring it in and they ll replace it for free!
[/b]
I rarely wear foundation...only loose powder daily. But the last time I went to a Prescriptives counter I came away VERY disappointed. The chick who mixed my foundation at the counter fudged up so badly...I was later told by my cousin who is a makeup artist that my skin-color looked pinky. :unsure: Needless to say I never stepped foot near another Prescriptives counter again. I&#39;m guessing that the chick was probably asleep when they were training her on mixing foundations up cause she did a horrible job of mixing mine...so that was wasted money. But this colorprinting that they&#39;re currently doing is giving me second thoughts. I&#39;m thinking of paying them a visit in the near future.

Jess Tresses
11-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I rarely wear foundation...only loose powder daily. But the last time I went to a Prescriptives counter I came away VERY disappointed. The chick who mixed my foundation at the counter fudged up so badly...I was later told by my cousin who is a makeup artist that my skin-color looked pinky. :unsure: Needless to say I never stepped foot near another Prescriptives counter again. I&#39;m guessing that the chick was probably asleep when they were training her on mixing foundations up cause she did a horrible job of mixing mine...so that was wasted money. But this colorprinting that they&#39;re currently doing is giving me second thoughts. I&#39;m thinking of paying them a visit in the near future.
[/b]

I love Prescriptives, but I have had a bad "batch" before. Funny, when I was returning it (because you can return it if you are unsatisfied) there was another woman returning her powder, and she showed me the powder, and it had to be three or more shades too dark. I simply had my foundation re-mixed at another counter. I have the Custom Blend Powder (one for winter and one for summer), liquid, and concealor. I love love love Prescriptives.

cmsheart
11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
^^^ JT you are so fab in your avi.

Seriously ladies, Loreal is working out just fine for me and it matches :D One day I&#39;ll upgrade but its not really necessary.

EmpressRi
11-15-2007, 01:22 PM
nothing EVER works for me so i just said to hell with it. a little bit of bronzer and/or blush and im good. i just lost faith in foundation. plus, im pimplephobic, i swear i can feel them forming underneath makeup lol

Jess Tresses
11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
^^^ JT you are so fab in your avi.

Seriously ladies, Loreal is working out just fine for me and it matches :D One day I&#39;ll upgrade but its not really necessary.
[/b]

Thank you!!! Glad to hear HIP is working out. It really is a pretty extensive range for a drug store line, not specifically made for WoC. And if you don&#39;t wear a lot of foundation and it&#39;s working, I say stick with it. Although, a lot of times, you don&#39;t realize how much better something else is until you try it.

nothing EVER works for me so i just said to hell with it. a little bit of bronzer and/or blush and im good. i just lost faith in foundation. plus, im pimplephobic, i swear i can feel them forming underneath makeup lol
[/b]

Why not try a tinted moisturizer and a light powder from a really reputiable brand. Also, a tinted mosturizer paired with a mineral foundation might do it. Just a thought.