PDA

View Full Version : Acting "ghetto" and igronant society

CaramelMa
01-16-2005, 03:46 PM
hey fam, well my boyfriend and were having an argument about how ignorant people are viewed by people in society and why that matters. Now I said ghetto but I really meant ignorant, but I just need some feedback about the subject.....Do white people really look down on us because of the ignorant black people.....and I don't mean to offend anyone either...

nappylove
01-16-2005, 03:57 PM
The word ghetto is used so frequently now days when in fact it's a place not an action. When I was little we would say the girls that wore things that everybody else wore or did their hair a certain way, you know with the gel bangs on the forehead, that type of style. But I didn't know any better. Now that I am older I realize using the word ghetto basically means you are acting too black in my opinion because anytime a black person does anything out of the ordinary their labeled ghetto. My sister says that people that live in the ghetto look and for the most act a certain way, or different than a person living somewhere else. So she says that we label others as ghetto because they look like they would have lived in the ghetto. In my opinion the term is used too loosely now, because if you think about it we all have been called ghetto at least once in our life, and none of us live there. I don't use that term anymore.

As far as how white people look at us I dunno. But my sister said that whites look down on whites just like we do with blacks because their white trash is compared to our ghetto...I thought that was an interesting observation.

LuvThosNaps
01-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Ghetto these days means "in poor taste." Each group has their own term for things done in poor taste. White people say trashy or trailer park. I see it as the same thing. No well to do black person would choose to live in the ghetto just as no well to do white person would choose to live in the trailer park. Both are reflections of poor socio-economic status and the perception is that such people have poor taste.

vinny_46
01-17-2005, 01:41 AM
I agree with Mr. Dean.

But it does annoy me sometimes when I hear white people using term "ghetto" . :dunno:

Fatty_Girl06
01-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Jan 16 2005, 08:41 PM

But it does annoy me sometimes when I hear white people using term "ghetto" . :dunno:

Why does it bother you? From my knowledge ghetto is a word of italian origins. Where I am if you don't talk "ghetto" when your with black people it means you act "white". Both races make assumptions with the word ghetto and what it really means.

nappylove
01-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Yeah I must agree with Fatty girl. The origin was used for where the jews lived back in the day, which is the same as our ghettos. But it wasn't used for us in the beginning.

DaisysHair
01-17-2005, 03:35 AM
BUMP.

Good thread, I have found that no matter what label, because I think that is eactly what it is a label. Ignorant and ghetto go hand and hand and there is not much difference these days.

Although it does not bother me when a white person says ghetto, it does bother me that some associate being ghetto with being black. :D

macsrcool
01-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Yea I remember the first time I heard the word ghetto used as a synonym of the phrase "in bad taste" was from my Asian friend. I was uncomfortable with her usage of it because I had only heard it used to derogatively describe Black people. Then I realized she just meant that something was "trashy" or "not up to par." I use it now, but not on a regular basis. I am concious that it is a metaphor for the destitute situation of a lot of Black people.

Originally posted by vinny_46@Jan 16 2005, 06:41 PM
I agree with Mr. Dean.

fefestyle
01-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Very Good Thread!!! I have use "Ghetto" to describe people and places. I can't remember when or where I picked up the habit. I see it as simple colloaquializm (sp). I must admit that I only use it around my people. I guess that makes me a shifter also (scoobygurl's thread). :D

vinny_46
01-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by macsrcool@Jan 17 2005, 12:35 AM
Yea I remember the first time I heard the word ghetto used as a synonym of the phrase "in bad taste" was from my Asian friend. I was uncomfortable with her usage of it because I had only heard it used to derogatively describe Black people. Then I realized she just meant that something was "trashy" or "not up to par." I use it now, but not on a regular basis. I am concious that it is a metaphor for the destitute situation of a lot of Black people.

exactly

davida9737
01-18-2005, 04:41 AM
I am quick to use ghetto to describe persons or actions that I feel are classless. Having said that, I have used the term to refer to many people - not just black. What bothers me is that some people think that all black people that dress a certain way are ghetto meaning from the ghetto. All people who look and act crazy and loud aren't from the ghetto and just cause I'm black doesn't mean I am either.

growunatty
01-18-2005, 04:57 AM
my people, my people. :icon_headshake:

deecoily
01-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Oops wrong thread.

CaramelMa
01-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by davida9737@Jan 18 2005, 01:41 AM
I am quick to use ghetto to describe persons or actions that I feel are classless. Having said that, I have used the term to refer to many people - not just black. What bothers me is that some people think that all black people that dress a certain way are ghetto meaning from the ghetto. All people who look and act crazy and loud aren't from the ghetto and just cause I'm black doesn't mean I am either.

OMG Thank you! See this is where my boyfriend and I first got into a fight because I said i did not like ghetto people, meaning classless and ignorant people. Now he is from the ghetto so he toook offense when I said that, I did not mean people from the ghetto I meant anyone who acts classless and ignorant, because I don't like people who don't carry themselves like they got sense! See this is what I've been trying to say all along!

gypsyroze
01-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by CaramelMa@Jan 16 2005, 05:46 PM
hey fam, well my boyfriend and were having an argument about how ignorant people are viewed by people in society and why that matters. Now I said ghetto but I really meant ignorant, but I just need some feedback about the subject.....Do white people really look down on us because of the ignorant black people.....and I don't mean to offend anyone either...

I think that can go with any race. I mean how many times has someone made th comment about a foreigner that needs to learn english and just assumes they're stupid becaue they haven't learned how. Or white people that are "country" or like "trailer park". There are blacks that even behave a cetain way to other blacks that aren't welthy enough or are too light or dark. Even though people strive to be deep and intelligent, we can't get past the most shallow things in life.

ebonyy
01-24-2005, 05:04 PM
i think ghetto is a place. ghetto people are people who live in the ghetto. ignorant people are the people with ungroomed hair, barefoot, wearing nightgown three o'clock in theafternoon on the news telling the misinformed version of an event. the loud-mouth, beligerent people with foul language in public place.

etifaim
05-09-2008, 05:59 AM
BUMP

I found this thread because I have an associate in college that used this word on three different occasions in the past week. He's white, and from Texas. Now that he's in Denver, he said that certain parts of Aurora and Denver are ghetto, and I begged to differ with him. Personally I don't think that we have ghettos, because I visualize projects and very poor areas, which I don't personally think Denver or Aurora has, since I've lived here all my life in one of the poorest areas in Denver--which really wasn't too poor. There are some places that are a little "sketchy" (as some of the white people say about areas that aren't what they're used to, or more "urban" (one from Indiana, another from Minnesota (not near Minneapolis--otherwise he wouldn't think Denver was ghetto at all lol).

I think it's just another term used to classify others [black people primarily] in a negative way. To me, when he said ghetto, he was referring to the people, since both Denver and Aurora have the highest population of black people (and hispanics too, I suppose). But he may have meant "in poor taste" after reading this thread.

I don't use the word often, so when a rich white person says it, it just reeks of elitism to me. But I'm glad I read the opinions of others on this board (although this thread is 3 years old) so that I can put things into perspective.

scurrie
05-16-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm going to look up the word & come back. However, I agree with those who think the word "ghetto" is over used. I think the word has lost it's meaning over time. When I hear white people use ghetto to describe every little thing, it makes me cringes. I have used the word but I dislike the conotation that comes along with it (even when I feel I've defined the word for myself), the message it sends is still not a positive one. The more I think about it, the word ghetto is just a divisive word & I will make a conscious effort not to use the word when describing people & their actions.