PDA

View Full Version : Lonely In Seattle

lovida
07-06-2003, 01:38 AM
:unsure: Hi all! I just moved to Seattle from Atlanta....and in the middle of transitioning out of my relaxer!! If you're in the Seattle/Tacoma area, I'd like to know you're here! :(

BamaFro
07-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Hey!

Have no fear ! ! ! Even though I currently reside in 'bama for college, I'm originally from Seattle, Washington. Born and raise for 18 years. :D
First of all, I know it probably feels kindy lonely because there really aren't too many natural chicks there. But I'm gonna give you - and all the other lonely in Seattle natural heads - a hint about a REALLY nice Afrocentric shop to visit in Sea-Town.
Okay, I'm not too sure if you're famaliar with all of the neighborhoods in Seattle yet, but in a neigborhood called Broadway (which is about a 10 minute bus ride from downtown on the number 7 or 9 bus) where an afrocentric shop is located. I don't remember the name of it, but it's inside of this brick structure where FredMeyer is located (right across the street from QFC) and waaaay before you get to the reknowned Cornish dance school where I used to get my ballet learn on as a youngster. :afro:
I promise you, this place will have you feeling like you're in the motherland.
They have incense, African pattern cloths, all kinds of stuff ! ! !
I hope you find it and enjoy it as much as I used to during my days near the Puget Sound!
Let me know if you have any trouble finding it.
Oh yeah, welcome to the Emerald City. :afro:
I hope you learn to :pumpheart: it as much as I do. :rainfro:

Sincerely,

BamaFro

rockinlocs
07-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Wow, all this talk of Broadway, Fred Meyers... is making me HOMESICK!

I live in Detroit (was born and raised here) but spent like 7 years in WA.

We'll be moving back to WA probably in the next year or 2 (I sure hope)! I really miss it :(

Sorry to have hijacked!

BamaFro
07-10-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by rockinlocs@Jul 10 2003, 03:22 PM
Wow, all this talk of Broadway, Fred Meyers... is making me HOMESICK!

I live in Detroit (was born and raised here) but spent like 7 years in WA.

We'll be moving back to WA probably in the next year or 2 (I sure hope)! I really miss it :(

Sorry to have hijacked!
LOL
Hang in there, girlie.
I never thought I'd say it, but I've been missing home off and on since I left in August 2002 to transfer to my current school.
Just pray on it and continue to think about the Starbucks on every other corner downtown, the Ivars restaurants, the See's candy bars, the fresh fish sold at Pike Place Market, etc.
Whew, let me stop.
I'm making myself homesick. :unsure:

BamaFro

nappyhead
07-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Hi Bama Fro, I live in Spanaway with all the other retirees and military folks. I am quite sure you should have heard about t Lewis, and McChord AFB. Email me and we can get together sometime

Lupy
07-13-2003, 04:41 AM
Hi lovida, I live in Renton now and I am from Atlanta.
Send me a PM. :hug:

jazzyblue
07-13-2003, 04:52 PM
I'm from the Emerald City as well. :D It's beautiful and I love it, :pumpheart: but I'm actually relocating to Cali soon (within the next two weeks if you can believe that)! :( I have been in Seattle all my life and I'm ready to take in some sun rays (although this summer has been gorgeous)! I still have family here so I plan to visit often.

If you like to buy natural products or make your own recipes, definitely check out Seattle Super Supplements. There's one in Renton on Rainier Avenue. They have everything - all natural shampoos/conditioners, mango butter, glycerin, EOs...you name it. Their prices, for the most part, can't be beat. For commerical products of course, there's Sally's Beauty Supply. There aren't a whole lot of blacks here (especially compared to Atlanta), and of those, not too many naturals, so stay focused and represent! :afro:

If you're interested in other info as far as entertainment, restaurants, or whatever, feel free to PM me. :thumbsup:

lovida
07-29-2003, 03:54 AM
WHEW!! :P Good to see I'm not alone out here!! I'm definitely going to have to pull out my handy-dandy street map and find these new places!!!
Thanx all!

'vida
Life

Divastate
08-01-2003, 12:18 PM
I just moved from Seattle to Atlanta. Can't really say I miss Seattle much- but it is a very nap- friendly environment (well unless you want to go to a napptural salon those are far and few between). But i wanted to definitely advise you to contact Lupe- she's a very kind person and quite helpful- I definitely do miss her from Seattle!

For making your own hair products also be sure to check out Zenith Soap Supplies- they carry shea butter, avocado oil, you NAME it in bulk at really cheap prices. Here's their website: http://www.zenithsupplies.com

BamaFro
08-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Hello my beautiful Seattle Nappturals ! ! ! :rainfro:

PLEASE READ SEATTLE NAPPTURALS ! ! !

BamaFro checking in for a sec.

Though I reside in 'bama for college, I would really, Really, REALLY like to connect with my Seattle napptural sistahs in person before I have to depart back for 'bama in another week. (Crazy, I know. Don't ask or I'll get all fired up about it.)

Since I'm at home, using my fam's computer and I don't wanna be a hog, those of you who've PM'ed me previously and would seriously like to get together within the next week, please text message me with your name and contact info (140 characters or less) at: HelloKittyFan@tmomail.net

I was thinking we could have lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory near the pier/waterfront or something to that effect. Something light and fun to get us acquainted.

I look forward to meeting at least a few of you very soon. :rainfro: :pumpheart: :pumpheart: :pumpheart:

lovida
11-14-2003, 04:36 PM
bumping this up in case any new Seattlites have joined recently....

Taste of Honey
11-19-2003, 06:00 PM
I live in Redmond and I've only been here 1 year. I'm still getting to know the different areas.

Taste of Honey
11-19-2003, 06:09 PM
I live in Redmond and have only been here for 1 year.

ooooo
12-11-2003, 07:36 PM
the shop BamaFro mentioned is called "Uzuri International Gifts" and I know some of the folks that work there... it is on Broadway across the street from QFC on one side and Starbucks, La Cocina & Cantina on the other. It is the ONLY place i feel comfortable and normal in like... all of seattle!!! ok, there are a few other spots but that is the main spot in capitol hill. in fact, i live not too far from there and i catch the bus 7 to work right in front of the shop every morning now.

i am personally NOT feelin seattle or the pacific northwest at all now... so over it. it was dead like yesterday n it stanks now! lemme OUT!!! i am planning to visit new orleans or dallas/houston, texas (as well as my home land in what is now called "nigeria") as soon as possible for a change of pace. i plan to move down south after i've paid off my credit cards and school loans.

jetcitygirl is from sea/tac. maybe we should plan a seattle get together sometime.

blessings...

ooooo
12-12-2003, 05:38 PM
is this thread broken?

ooooo
12-12-2003, 05:40 PM
is this thread broken? i try to post but can't see it :-P

i'll repost what i wrote:

the shop BamaFro mentioned is called "Uzuri International Gifts" and I know some of the folks that work there... it is on Broadway across the street from QFC on one side and Starbucks, La Cocina & Cantina on the other. It is the ONLY place i feel comfortable and normal in like... all of seattle!!! ok, there are a few other spots but that is the main spot in capitol hill. in fact, i live not too far from there and i catch the bus 7 to work right in front of the shop every morning now.

i am personally NOT feelin seattle or the pacific northwest at all now... so over it. it was dead like yesterday n it stanks now! lemme OUT!!! i am planning to visit new orleans or dallas/houston, texas (as well as my home land in what is now called "nigeria") as soon as possible for a change of pace. i plan to move down south after i've paid off my credit cards and school loans.

jetcitygirl is from sea/tac. maybe we should plan a seattle get together sometime.

blessings...

Cdeesnapps
12-13-2003, 07:30 AM
:app [FONT=Arial]
Well, I have yet to see any nappturals besides a good friend and i in my area. Folks be looking at you like they will personally send you to they homegirls salon. I am from federal way, wa. We all need to have a seattle area napptural event.