PDA

View Full Version : Unforgivable Blackness

nappylove
01-19-2005, 04:21 AM
Jack Johnson — the first African-American Heavyweight Champion of the World, whose dominance over his white opponents spurred furious debates and race riots in the early 20th century — enters the ring once again in January 2005 when PBS airs Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson, a provocative new PBS documentary by acclaimed filmmaker Ken Burns. The two-part film airs on PBS Monday-Tuesday January 17-18, 2005, 9:00-11:00 p.m. ET (check local listings).

It comes on again on the 19, 22 and some other syas, just go to WWW.PBS.ORG. Peace.

akajewel
01-19-2005, 04:26 AM
I watched tonight and found myself really disliking that man! Sorry. I mean I know he was doing his thing as a black man at a really difficult time, but still come on man??? I could only imagine what Booker T and WEB were thinking at the time. Okay, so he only went with white women, he did the sistahs a favor, but he was just so, so, ummmm. He just rubbed me the wrong way. It was a great docu though. Any other thoughts??

And on Tom's show this morning they mentioned a docu about Emmitt Till being shown yesterday after the Jack Johnson film. I can't find any info on it. Did anyone see it?

chocolategurl17
01-19-2005, 04:27 AM
I caught pieces of the documentary in between watching AI and it was very interesting to say the least of what I did see. He was very fond with the white ladies I gathered and had no problem displaying it during that very dangerous time when already white men hated him because of his physical dominance and supremacy. I will catch it again and view it in full on one of the later dates to discuss it fully. I recommend as many who can as possible to watch it. You can talk about his life from many different angles.

PBS has really amped it up.

ETA: I caught a comment saying that he was Ethiopian. Was he really from Africa or was he born in the US?

nappylove
01-19-2005, 04:33 AM
Yeah I haven't seen it yet a friend of mines told me to watch it the next time it comes on.

sonce
01-19-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by chocolategurl17@Jan 19 2005, 04:27 AM
I caught pieces of the documentary in between watching AI and it was very interesting to say the least of what I did see. He was very fond with the white ladies I gathered and had no problem displaying it during that very dangerous time when already white men hated him because of his physical dominance and supremacy. I will catch it again and view it in full on one of the later dates to discuss it fully. I recommend as many who can as possible to watch it. You can talk about his life from many different angles.

PBS has really amped it up.

ETA: I caught a comment saying that he was Ethiopian. Was he really from Africa or was he born in the US?

ethiopian, hahaha no--that much is clear from his facial features alone. But anyway, didn't the documentary mention he was born to southern black americans?

Opportunitylocks
01-19-2005, 09:28 AM
If you all get a chance to watch this please do. This is the best thing I have seen on TV in a long time. His life was very facinating. And while I disagreed with his life style he was a true individual. As for the Ethiopian comment they were using it as a racial slur because he was born here. I suppose they were refering to his color.

notroz2u
01-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, I heard them call him an Ethiopian and was wondering what his family history was :afro:

I missed about a half hour of the first show and thought that was when they discussed his parentage
I was glued to my TV set both nights; this program was one of the most interesting pieces that I have seen in a long time

Jack really did love his white women and was not afraid to show it, I'm not sure of how I feel about him but I did enjoy seeing the old footage of the women and the men and looking at their clothes
One thought I had is that some of the footage of people that we were seeing could have been some of our relatives
I also had this same thought when viewing the "Slave Narratives"
Some of the stories & photos could have been of our family members :unsure:

ScoobyGurl
01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
I did catch the documentary. While I thought it was great that he made white people question their "superiority" by beat the hell out of them in the ring, I really didn&#39;t like him as a person. I got the feeling that he wasn&#39;t too proud of his race and that he was more concerned about what white people thought of him. I also wasn&#39;t feeling his attraction to white women and I thought about the example he was setting for so many modern black athletes <_< .

Nappalonia
01-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Opportunitylocks@Jan 19 2005, 03:28 AM
If you all get a chance to watch this please do. This is the best thing I have seen on TV in a long time. His life was very facinating. And while I disagreed with his life style he was a true individual. As for the Ethiopian comment they were using it as a racial slur because he was born here. I suppose they were refering to his color.

Yes please watch, this is one of the best documentary&#39;s I have seen :)

He did love him some thick white girls :rolleyes:

vinny_46
01-19-2005, 10:37 PM
I watched part 1 and 2, I enjoyed them very much. :pop:

I can&#39;t say whether I liked/disliked him. I really agreed with James Earl Jone&#39;s commentary.

I see nothing wrong with his love for white women, but I don&#39;t think it was a very wise move. And I don&#39;t respect anyone who beats a woman. :icon_headshake: Living in that society, I&#39;m surprised he didn&#39;t get killed! Any of those white women could&#39;ve cried rape and made it so.

I think he was just a man, one who wanted to live his life the way he saw fit, but because he was black, he wasn&#39;t supposed to be allowed to do that. He didn&#39;t follow their rules, and I like that about him. ^_^

I&#39;m not a boxing fan, but I really enjoyed watching him beat Jeffries. :pop:

And I was of course disguisted by the hypocrisy/power/hate of the white population. :angry:

I wish I&#39;d have been able to see the Great White Hope when James Earl Jones was performing it in theaters. I&#39;ve seen bits of the film, and his commentary about how the play was received was very interesting.

afromation
01-19-2005, 10:43 PM
I didn&#39;t catch it the first night so I didn&#39;t watch it the second night. It comes on Sunday back to back (3-7 pm). I&#39;ll watch it then.

vinny_46
01-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by afromation@Jan 19 2005, 02:43 PM
I didn&#39;t catch it the first night so I didn&#39;t watch it the second night. It comes on Sunday back to back (3-7 pm). I&#39;ll watch it then.

I&#39;ll probably watch it again. I enjoy documentaries like this.

I think he was kind of handsome in some of those pics. :unsure:

ReRoyalty
01-20-2005, 02:29 AM
OHHHHHHH NOOO!!!

I saw the director of the Unforgivable Blackness on The Early Show Monday morning and forgot all about it on Monday and Tuesday...

U think they will show it again?

nappylove
01-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by ReRoyalty@Jan 19 2005, 09:29 PM
OHHHHHHH NOOO!!!

I saw the director of the Unforgivable Blackness on The Early Show Monday morning and forgot all about it on Monday and Tuesday...

U think they will show it again?

yeah check www.pbs.org