PDA

View Full Version : Black folks that make you proud!

innervisions
01-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I know in the African-American community some claim that there's a lack of role models for our young people. Well, I just want us to brag on some black folks who are doing us more than proud!

My number one pick:
BARACK OBAMA!!!!

I volunteered with his Springfield campaign managers during the last leg of his campaign and met him several times, and I also met his wife. He is like THE MOST AWESOME person I have ever met. (And his wife is battling him for that number one spot!) He is so warm, caring, and kind. And I think that he is the first GENUINE politician I have ever heard of. He honestly seemed like an ADVOCATE for the people he represented.

And the fact that he is a biracial man who is not ashamed that he has had the experiences of an African-American is wonderful to me. (I'm not bashing biracial people whom choose to label themselves as other than black, but I appreciate Barack's stance.) He is also married, and seems to be completely in love, with a real (I mean "doesn't play no games") extremely strong black woman! I think he is a great role model for Black youth today and I am looking for great things from this man. He also says he's a Christian, and really acts like one too! (hint, hint, George W. Bush!)
I go to church with him, and my pastor, who doesn't speak highly of many people, has always spoke highly of him, long before he was anybody's senator in any senate. (My church is huge and has 3 services every Sunday, so I only remember seeing him once, but I didn't know who he was.)

What African-American person are you really proud of right now?

Shanna
01-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Malcolm X! I know he's dead and all :P , but I am having a love affair with his life, his speeches and his book right now. He was just sooooooo intelligent, so actively thinking, so not afraid to say what he was thinking and he didn't care who he offended as long as he felt he was teaching TRUTH. He encouraged other Blacks (and whites) to think and become aware also.

xsulent
01-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Saul Williams!!!

If he isn't the most influential.. most blessed by the art of spoken word man in this friggin world. When I listen to Amethyst Rockstar or any piece written by him I get butterflies in my stomach. So powerful and so full of raw truth. So inspiring.. makes me want to go get a thesaurus and write some poetry lol. I think his poems should be a mandatory reading in Highschool!! They should disect the meaning behind the meaning of it the way they do Shakespeare or Poe.

cloudyface
01-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Maya Angelou...i just think her books, her stance on life and her life itself are amazing and uplifting.

Toni Morrison and Jamaica Kincaid are two black female writers whose novels are marvellous in my opinion. I'm still in the process of completely understanding T. Morrisons books though.

innervisions
01-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Shanna@Jan 19 2005, 05:43 PM
Malcolm X! I know he's dead and all :P , but I am having a love affair with his life, his speeches and his book right now. He was just sooooooo intelligent, so actively thinking, so not afraid to say what he was thinking and he didn't care who he offended as long as he felt he was teaching TRUTH. He encouraged other Blacks (and whites) to think and become aware also.

I'm feeling you on Malcolm! I read his speech "The Ballot or the Bullet" almost everyday b/c I keep getting things out of it.

innervisions
01-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by xsulent@Jan 19 2005, 06:08 PM
Saul Williams!!!

If he isn't the most influential.. most blessed by the art of spoken word man in this friggin world. When I listen to Amethyst Rockstar or any piece written by him I get butterflies in my stomach. So powerful and so full of raw truth. So inspiring.. makes me want to go get a thesaurus and write some poetry lol. I think his poems should be a mandatory reading in Highschool!! They should disect the meaning behind the meaning of it the way they do Shakespeare or Poe.

Not to mention he's a cutie! *sorry*

Shanna
01-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by innervisions@Jan 19 2005, 10:41 PM
I'm feeling you on Malcolm! I read his speech "The Ballot or the Bullet" almost everyday b/c I keep getting things out of it.

I loooove that speech! I found the actual audio of that speech on this site (http://www.brothermalcolm.net/mxwords/whathesaid13.html), I've listened to it like 50 times already.

MsCurly85
01-20-2005, 06:18 AM
thank god noone said Oprah

CatSuga
01-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Condolezza Rice.
(Did I spell that first name right??? :doh )

NaturalLove
01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Barack Obama
Malcolm X
Oprah
Angela Davis
Nikki Giovanni
Julianne Malveaux

vicchnu
01-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by NaturalLove@Jan 20 2005, 01:50 PM
Barack Obama
Malcolm X
Oprah
Angela Davis
Nikki Giovanni
Julianne Malveaux

I'll add condolezza rice
Colin Powell
Sidney Poitier
Martin Luther King
Coretta King
Madam CJ Walker
There i many when i think about it, i'm probably leaving a few people out.

meagan22
01-21-2005, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Shanna@Jan 19 2005, 06:43 PM

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! :wub:
adding on . . . .
Cheik Anta Diop

John Henrik Clarke

Marcus Garvey (even though he had ego problems and the govt. infitralted his isht)

innervisions
01-22-2005, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Shanna@Jan 20 2005, 12:12 AM
I loooove that speech! I found the actual audio of that speech on this site (http://www.brothermalcolm.net/mxwords/whathesaid13.html), I've listened to it like 50 times already.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've been looking for that audio!

moni1999
01-22-2005, 03:06 AM
My mother.
My father.
My grandfather.

These people inspire me to pursue greatness!

:)

23psalms
01-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Every naptural on this site!!!

QueenLocks
01-22-2005, 05:12 AM
:pop: Too many to name! {Some are named already}

~Peace

BlakStaar
01-22-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by innervisions@Jan 21 2005, 10:42 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've been looking for that audio!

Here's more Malcolm X CD's & DVD's (http://www.infernalpress.com/malcolm/index.html)

ScoobyGurl
01-22-2005, 05:29 PM
My mom for instilling always gving me a sense of pride about being black. I remember as a little girl how she read me books like Color Me Brown, encouraged me to enter the Black History Bees in my elementary school, and corrected me when I said that she had "good" hair and I had "bad" hair (she has soft, wavy hair and I have nappy hair).

My late grandmother who endured a racist south as a little girl and who taught me how to deal with white people.

My late stepfather who introduced me to obscure black scholars that I didn't learn about in school and who really taught me how to hold my own among a society that doesn't view black women too highly.

Malcolm X for giving some common sense to the Civil Rts. Movement and for firmly holding on to his views no matter how popular or unpopular they were.

Ralph Ellison for writing the one of the greatest novels of all time, Invisible Man.

Colin Powell for finally seeing how the Bush administration is full of s*** and for supporting AA despite being in a party that despises it.

Barack Obama for being a modern source of inspiration to all young black people, especially young black men. Also for bringing some common sense back to American politics (his statement on red/blue America was the best I have ever heard!).

innervisions
01-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ScoobyGurl@Jan 22 2005, 11:29 AM
My late grandmother who endured a racist south as a little girl and who taught me how to deal with white people.

My late stepfather who introduced me to obscure black scholars that I didn't learn about in school and who really taught me how to hold my own among a society that doesn't view black women too highly.

Malcolm X for giving some common sense to the Civil Rts. Movement and for firmly holding on to his views no matter how popular or unpopular they were.

Barack Obama for being a modern source of inspiration to all young black people, especially young black men. Also for bringing some common sense back to American politics (his statement on red/blue America was the best I have ever heard!).

I am feeling you! I also had a grandmother who taught me a lot about life, and white folks. And I'm glad to have had people in my life who taught me about the black folks that my school never would.

And I totally agree on your statement about Obama's synopsis of red/blue America. When he said, "We serve an awesome God in the blue states...." I thought I was in church!

Jess82
01-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I would have to say Malcolm X too... He really explained how and why Black people have been brainwashed. He was really enlightening.

Oprah Winfrey

Condoleeza Rice, not necessarly for her political parties or her opinions but she seems like a very intelligent woman. She gives another image of Black women than what we usually see.

Jess82
01-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by MsCurly85@Jan 20 2005, 01:18 AM
thank god noone said Oprah

Whats wrong with naming Oprah? :dunno:

QueenLocks
01-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Oprah has helped black people here and in South Africa........

One sister I knew from college ended up on Oprah's show with a surprise 'DREAM WEDDING'!!!!!!!!!!!! {U Go Girl {Letitia} I ain't mad at her!}......

Shanna
01-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Jess82@Jan 22 2005, 05:21 PM
Whats wrong with naming Oprah? :dunno:

People probably just don't want another fight to break out: "Oprah sucks!" "Don't hate on Oprah!" "Don't belittle Oprah's success by talking about her hair issues!" and so on... :P

animeg
01-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Richard Wright- and all the black people who volunteer in their communities. Of course, my grandma is my favorite volunteer.

MzNGINEAR
01-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Queenli19@Jan 22 2005, 08:31 PM
Oprah has helped black people here and in South Africa........

One sister I knew from college ended up on Oprah's show with a surprise 'DREAM WEDDING'!!!!!!!!!!!! {U Go Girl {Letitia} I ain't mad at her!}......

Here in Chicago, Oprah donated ONE MILLION DOLLARS to my old high school...which is in the heart of Chicago's west side (Providence-St. Mel).

Don't know of anything else that she's done here in the city...but that's one that I was "there" for.

I'll name Maya Angelou, Nikki Giovanni, Harold Washington and Ida B Wells....And OBAMA!!! It's so refreshing to see someone who truely has a love for the people who he represents!

Oh yeah...my late grandma for teaching me to speak my mind ALL the time.

Shanna
01-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Here in Chicago, Oprah donated ONE MILLION DOLLARS to my old high school...which is in the heart of Chicago's west side (Providence-St. Mel).

Hmph. back in 1999 when my high school was closing down due to financial reasons... mind you this was the ONLY predominately Black private, all-girls high school in Chicago (on the South Side), we sent a letter to Oprah asking for help <_< and she didn&#39;t even grace us with a response.

gypsyroze
01-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Zora Neal Hurston, for her excellent books, Langston Hughs and Nikki Giovanni. I also love Mos Def, Don Cheadle, and Madame C.J. Walker.

ebonyy
01-24-2005, 05:56 PM
paul robeson-- multi-talented, influential, bold individual. a great man...i cannot find the words. :blush:

lovelyfaun
01-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by cloudyface@Jan 19 2005, 07:41 PM
I&#39;m still in the process of completely understanding T. Morrisons books though.

I am with you there. The only one that I really got was Jazz.

ooooo
01-24-2005, 06:51 PM
myself...

my pastor

any one of us who tries to overcome and be a blessing...

innervisions
01-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by laineymo@Jan 23 2005, 07:59 PM
I love him!!!!!!! He actually registered me to vote!!!!!! He came to my dorm here at the University of Chicago when I was a sophomore and helped people register. He explained everything to me about registering. He&#39;s a lovely man.

See, that&#39;s what I&#39;m talkin bout! That&#39;s a real man right there!

davida9737
01-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Danny Glover! I saw him speak recently at a MLK program - really inspiring. Who knew "Mista" from Color Purple was an activist truly educated on what&#39;s happening in the world.
I love OPRAH! I know she may tick some people off, but I think I&#39;m most impressed because she has evolved in front of us into this confident woman. She has dealt with everything (weight, man) while trying to help others deal with their drama too.
Tracey Edmonds - I want to work in entertainment and the things she&#39;s done are remarkable. Also, I&#39;m so over marrying a millionaire and that&#39;s it. She took the Edmonds name and branded it.
Alicia Keyes - She&#39;s just SO talented, it makes me smile when I hear her voice.
And all those people who&#39;ve come into and out of my life making profound differences in how I see the world!