PDA

View Full Version : Neem Oil

chrysalis
07-06-2003, 05:03 PM
i read about it on the fnwl website. it looks like a good catch all to replace mutilple oils. has anyone else used it?

NappyGirl01
07-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Just my personal thoughts below......

I don't recommend this oil to anyone. It's smell is horrendous and very, very, very over-powering. I purchased a 4 oz jar from camden grey because I read up on it and it seemed to be a good oil to have, but it smells like old cooking grease or chicken/beef boullion cubes..... I made the shine creating aloe butter and put a very small amount in it and it took the smell to a whole 'nother level. I then tried to die it down with other EO's and that just didnt help. I never got the chance to see what benefit it would have been to me because I tossed it.

If you decide to buy it, just BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

HTH
Nappy

jazzypom
07-06-2003, 05:49 PM
its good for lice - but it smells reallly strong.

so, unless you have a mad lice infestation and want to send the buggers reaching for parachutes and jump off your scalp, don't buy it!

acjazz28
07-06-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by jazzypom@Jul 6 2003, 12:49 PM
its good for lice - but it smells reallly strong.

so, unless you have a mad lice infestation and want to send the buggers reaching for parachutes and jump off your scalp, don't buy it!
http://acjazz28.sytes.net/rofl3.gif

buttercup
07-07-2003, 08:06 PM
i have purchased Neem oil in the past since i have read that it is good for dealing with problems of the skin. pure neem oil has a smell that is strong and funky. i rank it on the same potent level as skunk smell.

however, another brand i purchased from www.bindi.com (http://www.bindi.com) is neem oil with other oils blended in to take away the strong order of the neem oil but still preserve its medicinal qualities. i have only used it once or twice, but i intend to experiment with it more on the dry skin patches that i sometimes get on my face and scalp.

PowerPuff
07-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by NappyGirl01@Jul 6 2003, 01:45 PM
Just my personal thoughts below......

I don't recommend this oil to anyone. It's smell is horrendous and very, very, very over-powering. I purchased a 4 oz jar from camden grey because I read up on it and it seemed to be a good oil to have, but it smells like old cooking grease or chicken/beef boullion cubes..... I made the shine creating aloe butter and put a very small amount in it and it took the smell to a whole 'nother level. I then tried to die it down with other EO's and that just didnt help. I never got the chance to see what benefit it would have been to me because I tossed it.

If you decide to buy it, just BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

HTH
Nappy
ewww! :blink: You don't have to tell me twice!

Midoria
07-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Yeah Neem stinks. But it works wonders when mixed with other things.

InspiredLocs
07-11-2003, 05:43 AM
I read it was good for dandruff.

That lice comment was tooooo funny! :lol:

chrysalis
07-13-2003, 09:36 AM
no uku's (lice) here, thank god. i was thinking of using it on my itchy/flakey patches. it's supposed to be an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-everything, like tea tree but better. the site said that the smell was strong, but thanks for a realistic warning.

nappylicious
07-18-2003, 02:35 AM
I mix it with other oils to make a cleansing oil. I like it for its antibactrial properties and it made the breakouts disappear. :thumbsup:

msjaim2
03-09-2008, 10:34 AM
just thought id bump this..they r right,the smell isnt pleasant at all...it reminds me of coffee and salami..im

msjaim2
03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
the final smaell has settled into smelling like I rubbed my scalp down w/ fresh garlic cloves.. some really ripe ones!

olympia621
04-07-2008, 04:41 AM
Where did you get your's from?

msdiddyj
04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
kinda OT: i had a neem soap from the health food store and i actually liked the smell LOL i guess cuz it wasn't just neem. they mixed it w/ some other ayervedic herbs and stuff. it does wonders for my eczema. i usually buy it if i can t get to some black soap or something

Barklel
04-07-2008, 06:04 PM
*l*... yes, I've always said it smells sort of like a chicken rub..... I use the herb instead....

msjaim2
04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Where did you get your's from?
[/b]

got mine from a local health food store in chicago. Ive seen the same brand in whole foods as well ( thera neem)

goldenafrochild
04-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I tried it.... couldn't get past the smell and it made my scalp swell up. Needless to say I won't be using it again on my hair. However... It does make a lovely fungicide for plants and also kills other common house plant pests like thrips, mealybugs, scale and whiteflies.....

Sorry... the hortculturist in me occasionally pops out unexpectedly...plus I paid way to dam* much to just throw the stuff away. It also keeps cats from chewing on things. :dunno:

olympia621
04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
@gafrochild-Do you make a spary of neem in water? I bet it kills ants to.

I was thinking about ordering the Neem from http://www.mehndiskinart.com/neem_oil.htm for my serborhea dermatitis on my scalp.
They have oil and the powder. Which do y'all think would be better?

RieB81
04-09-2008, 10:18 PM
I have the oil I got from the health food store and used only one drop with other eo's andit helped hide the smell.

etifaim
04-12-2008, 05:20 AM
The smell is due to it's high sulfur content :)

I LOVE neem oil. It works wonders on my skin.
Wow :unsure: I don't think that I've used it for my hair; something I'll have to start in quickness.

But I recommend it for those that suffer from skin conditions like acne and eczema. Seriously folks, this stuff is the BOMB! :wub:

goldenafrochild
04-12-2008, 09:16 PM
@gafrochild-Do you make a spary of neem in water? I bet it kills ants to.

I was thinking about ordering the Neem from http://www.mehndiskinart.com/neem_oil.htm for my serborhea dermatitis on my scalp.
They have oil and the powder. Which do y'all think would be better?
[/b]

Yep... Neem oil, a little liquid ivory soap and some water... makes a great insectcidal spray.... the soap helps get the neem oil to mix with the water

palmerz63
05-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I just brought the Neem seed oil. Does it really work and what are the benefits.

What is it for?

RieB81
05-23-2008, 01:28 PM
I have some Neem oil and I use it in my homemade braid spray along with some essential oils.

I also currently used it in clarifiying shampoo mix I made. I only use 3 drops max in anything I put it in because of the smell.

pucelle
05-23-2008, 02:25 PM
While I haven't used the oil yet, I have used the powder and I LOVE IT. I use it to soak in the bath cause it's good for dry, flaky skin. It's nice to be able to get out of the bath and not HAVE to put on any lotion and not have my skin looking ashy.

There are some indian Caribbean (St. Kitts) people who just moved into my neighborhood, I'm going to ask them about my indian supplies :-). Neem is good for your scalp, skin, acne, etc. It's a good natural way to repel bugs (and other people if they don't like the smell). I;m going to use it to give my new "stray" cat a flea bath.

palmerz63
05-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Do it help with hairgrowth?

BigHair77
05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
While I haven't used the oil yet, I have used the powder and I LOVE IT. I use it to soak in the bath cause it's good for dry, flaky skin. It's nice to be able to get out of the bath and not HAVE to put on any lotion and not have my skin looking ashy.

There are some indian Caribbean (St. Kitts) people who just moved into my neighborhood, I'm going to ask them about my indian supplies :-). Neem is good for your scalp, skin, acne, etc. It's a good natural way to repel bugs (and other people if they don't like the smell). I;m going to use it to give my new "stray" cat a flea bath.
[/b]
Are you sure it will be good for the cat? goldenafrochild says it keeps cats from eating things, so i'm wondering if you put it directly on your cat's fur, will it keep s/he from grooming her/hisself? or worse, if s/he still grooms itslef, would s/he get sick from the neem? I've read that it is very powerful in it's full strength and should be diluted....sorry, not trying to be in your business, but just wondering- wouldn't want anything to happen to your cat!

ETA: Nevermind- you should be okay. I just found this site (http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/cats/neembath.html)...of course, you probably already knew this. again sorry for questioning...just looking out for th kittykat :)

nrages
07-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh, I thought it was just an insecticide! I bought some to use on my plants. Haven't done that yet though

Carus
07-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I find the oil to be hella stanky. When I use it, I use it sparingly because it can overpower with the smell of ripe garlic. That can be great for main dish, but not so much for a fro'. Now, more often than not, I use the dried herb to infuse in other concoctions. That works better for me.

NapturalAndPowerfulSistah - N.A.P.S.

EElizabeth
07-08-2008, 01:35 AM
One of my favorite soaps from Chagrin Valley is the Neem & Tea Tree Soap. I could use it on my hair and body. I liked the interesting aroma. Maybe the TT covered the aroma.

akuawood
07-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Neem oil is a great oil - yes, it does have a characteristic scent but the benefits for dry itchy flaky skin/scalp outweigh the pungent scent.
If you can't "stomach" neem's natural scent, then why not try karanja oil which has similar properties but smells slightly floral.

shiraz
07-12-2008, 11:43 PM
One of my favorite soaps from Chagrin Valley is the Neem & Tea Tree Soap. I could use it on my hair and body. I liked the interesting aroma. Maybe the TT covered the aroma.
[/b]

Yeah, I just recently tried Auromere Tulsi-Neem soap as a shampoo. I wanted to see if it would help with dandruff. It definitely left my hair moisturized, while my scalp was very clean. I'm not sure yet, but I think this might be the product that will really clear my dandruff. I'll have to try it out more often to see for sure.

Oh, and I saw FNWL's neem powder (http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=herbneem&searchflag=1) the other day. May be that would be a better alternative to the stinky neem oil lol.