PDA

View Full Version : white eyeliner

4real
01-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Lately or not so lately I have been seeing lots of black beauties wearing white eyeliner. It seems odd to me. But I guess there is a purpose, What is it?

Sekhmet
01-22-2005, 04:26 AM
I have NO clue. But I sure wish people would leave it the hayell alone!

gigglezk
01-22-2005, 04:54 AM
:doh

i remember in high school this teacher told us that you were supposed to put in on and then apply the color you usually wear over it. the white is supposed to brighten/open up your eyes. to make them look vibrant. i've never tried it.

SweetAfrica
01-22-2005, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by gigglezk@Jan 21 2005, 11:54 PM
the white is supposed to brighten/open up your eyes. to make them look vibrant.

That's basically it.

I haven't worn white eyeliner but I remember seeing this in high school and some recent magazines.

YoGirlToo
01-22-2005, 05:06 AM
i wore it for shock value and to get attention

AJoyrnee
01-22-2005, 11:15 AM
LOL

White liner is suppose to brighten and open up the eye a bit. The key is knowing how to apply it for your particular eye.

I actually wore white liner before and I must say so myself, it was very flattering. I haven't worn it in a while but I did recently buy a white liner.

:wub:

meagan22
01-22-2005, 11:32 AM
I've worn it before. I lined the inside rim of the lower part of my eyes and it made me look less tired that day. I've never used it to line my lids though. That would be plain ol' tacky. :icon_headshake:

feepee
01-22-2005, 03:22 PM
i wear it to brighten my green or blue liner. it looks quite lovely on me IMO. i've seen folks wear it bare. just the white liner.... didn't look so hot. i think it had alot to do with HOW they wear it too.

Knsoroma
01-27-2005, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by gigglezk@Jan 21 2005, 11:54 PM
:doh

i remember in high school this teacher told us that you were supposed to put in on and then apply the color you usually wear over it. the white is supposed to brighten/open up your eyes. to make them look vibrant. i've never tried it.

When I wear it this is what I do and I think it works :afro:

4real
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
I see it's all in the application.... accent yes..... alone :dunno:

vixxen13
02-01-2005, 08:24 AM
I always read you used it to brighten your eyes, by lining your lower rims or the inner corner of your eyes. I never quite got the hang of it though

here is a clip from brides.com http://www.brides.com/beauty/qanda/content...eeyebm0902.html (http://www.brides.com/beauty/qanda/content/?bf_whiteeyebm0902.html)

I've noticed white eye pencil at several makeup counters. How do you use it?

White makes eyes look wider and less yellow, says Bianca Alexander, a New YorkÒbased makeup artist for M.A.C. To apply: "Just lightly trace the inside of your lower rim with the pencil," she says. "If you keep your chin down, you'll get the perfect angle."

And believe it or not, a white pencil rubbed across the eyelid makes a great hydrating base for powdered shadows.

ETA

here is a moreuseful tip from ivillage (http://beauty.ivillage.com/makeup/lashes/0,,9m3d,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=13542032)

I've seen models in magazines wear white eyeliner. How do I know if it will look good with my coloring?

Be careful with white eyeliner. A hard white line actually detracts from your eye (people tend to look at the liner and not the eye). It's fine if you have alabaster skin. But if you have a tan or chocolate skin tone, try a bronze-shimmer liner instead. Apply it along the upper lash line It will achieve the result you want from white — a brighter eye — but it will be softer against your natural coloring than pure white. For more of a statement, as you draw the liner on the lid, extend the line up at the outer corner of the eye.

This would explain why many times I see some black celebs with white eyeliner and it does NOT look flattering just creepy.

meagan22
02-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by vixxen13@Feb 1 2005, 03:24 AM
Be careful with white eyeliner. A hard white line actually detracts from your eye (people tend to look at the liner and not the eye). It's fine if you have alabaster skin. But if you have a tan or chocolate skin tone, try a bronze-shimmer liner instead. Apply it along the upper lash line It will achieve the result you want from white — a brighter eye — but it will be softer against your natural coloring than pure white. For more of a statement, as you draw the liner on the lid, extend the line up at the outer corner of the eye.[/i]

This would explain why many times I see some black celebs with white eyeliner and it does NOT look flattering just creepy.

I bought an 'eyewhite' pencil from Sally Beauty supply in a light tan/beige color and it was AWESOME! :wub:

Melanizm
02-01-2005, 09:26 PM
I've seen people use it and more often than not, it's not that cute. but to each her own, lol. i think it's all about application though.