PDA

View Full Version : The return of the buffoon

Nappilocs
01-26-2005, 02:32 PM
:angry: I was so disgusted after watching Leroy on American Idol last night. We are all used to the bad singers, but the way he was dancing around, stomping his feet with a mouth full of Gold fronts. Saying
”yall need ta put a bruva on TeeeeVeeeee , cus a bruva broke…. caaaaan you ya dig it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ” I was just so irritated with the way he was jumping around like a damn fool. All I could think of “YASSAH BOSSS!! The thing that irritated me even more was how “entertained” they were by this modern day minstrel show. :rolleyes: They kept encouraging him to keep acting like a damn buffoon when they knew that he had no business auditioning. This crap even made the 11 o’clock news.
Don’t even get me started on Flava Flav. Since he has resurfaced with his foolishness, he is everywhere and people seem to love it.
Beetle Juice ( I think that’s his name) He is the obviously mentally disabled dwarf who is always saying things like “I’m a pimp” “ I don’t love dem ho’s” ” I’ll pimp slamp that bish”
I am told that he frequents the Howard Stern show. I did catch it once and I was sick to my stomach.
I am starting to notice that on the reality shows they tend to go out of their way to find the brotha that perpetuates all of the negative stereotypes. He is either the buffoon, the stereotypical angry black man, or the stereotypical black man that is drooling over nothing but white women.
Has anyone noticed this new trend on television?

Peaches
01-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Nappilocs@Jan 26 2005, 10:32 AM

”yall need ta put a bruva on TeeeeVeeeee , cus a bruva broke…. caaaaan you ya dig it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* ” I was just so irritated with the way he was jumping around like a damn fool. All I could think of “YASSAH BOSSS!!* T

:pointlaugh: :pointlaugh:

I notice it more in these gospel plays.. "Medea Goes to Jail", "Mama I Need A Man", "Mama I Can't Sing and My Man Is On Drugs", etc.

:rolleyes:

sweet-one
01-26-2005, 03:11 PM
I havent watched "American Idol", but I happened to turn to it last night. I turned it last night right before this guy went on. I sat there in amazement with my mouth wide opened! :shocker: At first, I thought he was playing. I thought he was just acting silly, but was going to come in and really sing! Boy, was I wrong! I could not believe my eyes. I said to myself, "NOw, this tops 'Strange Love'." Lawd knows, TV is not what it used to be.

I called my mom to see if she was watching. She was in amazement. She said, "Was he high?" I guess she thought that was the only logical explanation. I told her that she hadnt seen anyting. I told her about "Strange Love." I told her that I was going to call her next time it came on.

Miquie
01-26-2005, 03:17 PM
I have to admit, I thought I was watching a one- man, remake performance of Amos and Andy. :icon_headshake:

jmnappy
01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
It was horrible. I could barely understand what Leroy was saying. It's like he was drunk or on dope. But of course, Fox is going to exploit his coonish act for ratings.

:smil3f9cf95099cff:

I also blame Leroy, his crew, and whoever else had a hand in helping him get to the audition. He had to know that he would look stupid. But it's quite obvious that he had no real intention of being an AI contestant. He was just using AI to get the attention of a record label to make a rap CD.

edited for clarity

morena23
01-26-2005, 03:38 PM
It makes me so ashamed to watch that. My generation is THE most ignorant to date.

gypsyroze
01-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Well I know when they get to the Cleveland auditions, you are all going to be in for a rude awakening. There is this girl that made the news here, for her American Idol auditions. She was horrible, and she sang the National Anthem, and just butchered it! The worst part was they let her sing the entire thing! I think that they just want to see how far people will go the get on t.v.

sweet-one
01-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by jmnappy@Jan 26 2005, 10:22 AM
It was horrible. I could barely understand what Leroy was saying. * It's like he was drunk or on dope. But of course, Fox is going to exploit his coonish act for ratings.
:smil3f9cf95099cff:

I also blame Leroy, his crew, and whoever else had a hand in helping him get to the audition. He had to know that he would stupid. But it's quite obvious that he had no real intention of being an AI contestant. He was just using AI to get the attention of a record label to make a rap CD.

ITA. I could not believe that his friends were there supporting him. I wonder if anyone tried talking him out of going. Even my teenage son in shock. He just shook his head. I told him that I would break his legs if he ever embarrassed me like that.

TorontoNaps
01-26-2005, 03:55 PM
Yup, he was a complete idiot, no question. I also didn't understand a single thing he said, other than "can you dig it". Ugh. :huh: But, I'm sure he got what he wanted - his moment in the spotlight. It was painful for those of us watching, but I'm sure that won't phase him or others with the same agenda. I wouldn't even mind these foolish interruptions so much, if they at least showed more of the good auditions. Thankfully, this stage of the program shall soon be over & then the real competition starts, w'hoo!! :pop:

liberationtheory
01-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 26 2005, 09:42 AM

I notice it more in these gospel plays.. "Medea Goes to Jail", "Mama I Need A Man", "Mama I Can't Sing and My Man Is On Drugs", etc.

dont even get me started on the plays. while some of them are entertaining, im getting so tired of the message they send (just put up with teh bull crap of how your man did you wrong, blah blah blah and just pray), puhleeze!

Nappilocs
01-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 26 2005, 02:42 PM

Oh My gosh!! Don't even get me started on those plays. Why are they all billed as " The hit gospel stage play" :rolleyes:
I cringe everytime I hear the advertisement for the play called "baby momma drama"
whenever they have a decent black play, it's not even advertised on black radio. :rolleyes:

watercolorz
01-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 26 2005, 08:42 AM

:pointlaugh: Get outta my head it is too crowded as it is!

I saw that and I also saw the (white) fool in the black suit and pony tail… I think that there are guys out there who are trying for their 15 minutes-ala-William Hung… I know several Asians who were livid about that performance… but brotha gets paid. So you are bound to have fools on this year who want to make themselves the “worst” American Idol.

Still laughing… :lol: Mama don’t forget the fried chicken, Junebug’s outta jail… :rolleyes: ~W

feepee
01-26-2005, 04:30 PM
yall stop!! i'm at work and i'm gone get in trouble!! lol

thighslikewhat
01-26-2005, 04:41 PM
:dunno: I found it funny. At first I thought about the image it was portaying reguarding blacks but then I realized there are a lot of black rappers acting "crunk" like that. ie Lil John. It's entertainment (or a lack-there-of). I don't take it for anything much more than that

I wonder if the white folks are troubled about the amount of auditioons they let air involving the "schitzo-type" whites . :dunno: Did yall see the one Simon told to go do a caberet act, and Mary whats-her-face?

vicchnu
01-26-2005, 04:48 PM
dp

vicchnu
01-26-2005, 04:48 PM
I found it funny and was not offended one bit. It was fun T.V. I don't know why I should feel ashame of someone else's behavoir. They had on just as many crazy, freaky white folks acting a fool.

ScoobyGurl
01-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Jan 26 2005, 09:42 AM

Yeah, Medea definitely is a minstrel show :rolleyes: .

ScoobyGurl
01-26-2005, 04:56 PM
I didn't see it and perhaps I'm glad that I didn't :unsure:

morena23
01-26-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ScoobyGurl@Jan 26 2005, 08:56 AM
I didn't see it and perhaps I'm glad that I didn't :unsure:

If you've seen 1 bad out take you've seen 'em all.........
UNTIL YOU SAW THIS IG'NANT DUDE......
He makes Master P look like he has class....

ScoobyGurl
01-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by morena23@Jan 26 2005, 12:08 PM
If you've seen 1 bad out take you've seen 'em all.........
UNTIL YOU SAW THIS IG'NANT DUDE......
He makes Master P look like he has class....

That's a damn shame! Glad I didn't see it :icon_headshake:

mgtgcc
01-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Nappilocs@Jan 26 2005, 10:18 AM
Oh My gosh!! Don't even get me started on those plays. Why are they all billed as " The hit gospel stage play" :rolleyes:
I cringe everytime I hear the advertisement for the play called "baby momma drama"
whenever they have a decent black play, it's not even advertised on black radio. :rolleyes:
It's a total travesty that this crap would even be labled Performance Art.

You'd think this piece of artistic work would garner even a little attention.............Nope; The Bluest Eye (http://www.steppenwolf.org/boxoffice/productions/index.aspx?id=323)

watercolorz
01-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by mgtgcc@Jan 26 2005, 01:48 PM
It's a total travesty that this crap would even be labled Performance Art.

You&#39;d think this piece of artistic work would garner even a little attention.............Nope; The Bluest Eye</span> (http://www.steppenwolf.org/boxoffice/productions/index.aspx?id=323)

<span style=\'font-family:Courier\'>Girl thank you… I am all over that today… I’m in Chi and would have missed this.

@Nappilocs if this had been “Fatback and Baby Daddies in prayer” I would have seen 50 commercials for this by now.

Thanks so much for posting, this is my favorite Toni Morrison book.

(Better get my tickets now before Oprah plugs this on her show…) ^_^ ~W

mgtgcc
01-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by watercolorz@Jan 26 2005, 02:08 PM
Girl thank you… I am all over that today… I’m in Chi and would have missed this.

@Nappilocs if this had been “Fatback and Baby Daddies in prayer” I would have seen 50 commercials for this by now.

Thanks so much for posting, this is my favorite Toni Morrison book.

(Better get my tickets now before Oprah plugs this on her show…) ^_^ ~W

The Chicago Nappturality Group is going to this performance on February 19th. Check out the thread; February 19th - The Bluest Eye (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43271&st=40).

Hope to see ya................

MsCurly85
01-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by vicchnu@Jan 26 2005, 11:48 AM
I found it funny and was not offended one bit. It was fun T.V. I don&#39;t know why I should feel ashame of someone else&#39;s behavoir. They had on just as many crazy, freaky white folks acting a fool.

agreed. I think he was just having fun, and he forgot to take his medicine.. there was plently of sterotypical white people who couldn&#39;t sing or dance.. and just plain nerdy.

I think people care what white people/ or other people think so much. If they are ignorant in their knowledge and racist to begin in their thought or generalzations on people- no matter how "proper" you act.. your still going to be what they think your going to be to begin with. Theres even evidence to prove this.

don&#39;t worry about proving! Just be you at the end of the day... whomever that is.

Oh yea and my favorite line by him was when he said "so I&#39;m I in or no, because I have work tommorow"

MsCurly85
01-26-2005, 09:03 PM
dp

MsCurly85
01-26-2005, 09:03 PM
dp

Nappilocs
01-26-2005, 09:35 PM
I think people care what white people/ or other people think so much. If they are ignorant in their knowledge and racist to begin in their thought or generalzations on people- no matter how "proper" you act.. your still going to be what they think your going to be to begin with. Theres even evidence to prove this.
If I cared too much about what they thought, I would not be a member of Nappturality because I would be trying to fit an image that made them more "comfortable"
if were in a society where were were more segregated(which I am all for) I wouldn’t be too concerned with what white people thought. But in a society where we still are going to them for jobs, housing, loans etc, I am a bit concerned with how they view us. Especially when black young men can’t even get jobs at Mickey D’s because it’s assumed that they high strung, oversexed, and have no communication skills. A white boy can go to look at an apartment or even to a bank to get a loan in raggedy jeans and a t-shirt. I see it all the time. But if a brother is wearing a Sean Jean T-shirt and Tims, they may assume that he’s a hoodlum.
Police are beating the ish and killing our men for no reason because they make the assumption that they are up to no good. Until this changes, I do care about what they ASSUME about us. Not that I want to impress them. But I want to be treated with RESPECT.

watercolorz
01-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Nappilocs@Jan 26 2005, 03:35 PM
But in a society where we still are going to them for jobs, housing, loans etc, I am a bit concerned with how they view us. Especially when black young men can’t even get jobs at Mickey D’s because it’s assumed that they high strung, oversexed, and have no communication skills. A white boy can go to look at an apartment or even to a bank to get a loan in raggedy jeans and a t-shirt. I see it all the time. But if a brother is wearing a Sean Jean T-shirt and Tims, they may assume that he’s a hoodlum.
Police are beating the ish and killing our men for no reason because they make the assumption that they are up to no good. Until this changes, I do care about what they ASSUME about us. Not that I want to impress them. But I want to be treated with RESPECT.

These thoughts come into my mind all the time… especially when my man is on his way home and it’s late… girl I hear you and I do understand. ~W

ScoobyGurl
01-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Nappilocs@Jan 26 2005, 04:35 PM
If I cared too much about what they thought, I would not be a member of Nappturality because I would be trying to fit an image that made them more "comfortable"
if were in a society where were were more segregated(which I am all for) I wouldn’t be too concerned with what white people thought. But in a society where we still are going to them for jobs, housing, loans etc, I am a bit concerned with how they view us. Especially when black* young men can’t even get jobs at Mickey D’s because it’s assumed that they high strung, oversexed, and have no communication skills.* A white boy can go to look at an apartment or even to a bank to get a loan in raggedy jeans and a t-shirt. I see it all the time. But if a brother is wearing a Sean Jean T-shirt and Tims, they may assume that he’s a hoodlum.

ITA :smil3f72836ee752e:

liberationtheory
01-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by laineymo@Jan 26 2005, 03:26 PM
ITA. When I was home in St. Louis for Christmas break, a play called Meet the Browns was in town and it looked like a hot mess. From what I can tell, the play was nothing but a bunch of Black folk on stage "shucking and jiving". I was so disgusted, but what was more disturbing was that everyone was like "That&#39;s going to be good" or "I&#39;m going to see that". *SMH*

now i&#39;ll be the first to admit that i was entertained by "medea&#39;s family reunion" (although i fastforwarded through all the singin.. that&#39;s another thread). however i saw meet the browns (bootleg, yeah..) and i was appalled. maybe it&#39;s b/c i&#39;m not straight, maybe it&#39;s because i&#39;m not christian, but the whole idea that a man cheated on his wife and lied about it but they labeled the other woman as "crazy" b/c she wanted him to admit to his indiscretion, and then the moral of the story was that the husband was a "good man" b/c he was a doctor and still loved his wife.... all that pissed me off!! i was like WTF???? :doh and then to add insult to injury, a friend of mine thought the message was good... whoa...

liberationtheory
01-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by MsCurly85@Jan 26 2005, 04:01 PM
! Just be you at the end of the day... whomever that is.

Oh yea and my favorite line by him was when he said "so I&#39;m I in or no, because I have work tommorow"

and they said no, and he was like "dere it is." :lol: my coworker and i have been sayin that ALL day

naptillian1
01-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by thighslikewhat@Jan 27 2005, 03:41 AM
At first I thought about the image it was portaying reguarding blacks but then I realized there are a lot of black rappers acting "crunk" like that. ie Lil John. It&#39;s entertainment (or a lack-there-of). I don&#39;t take it for anything much more than that

I wonder if the white folks are troubled about the amount of auditioons they let air involving the "schitzo-type" whites . :dunno: Did yall see the one Simon told to go do a caberet act, and Mary whats-her-face?

That&#39;s right. It&#39;s the 21st century, we all know that what he did cannot be used as a generalization for all blacks, and to assume that other races would isn&#39;t givin them any credit.

Maybe he&#39;s just a f*cked up dude that happens to be black, but I&#39;m still secure in mine. He didn&#39;t make me nervous about what YT would think.

thighslikewhat
01-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Nappilocs@Jan 26 2005, 09:35 PM
if were in a society where were were more segregated(which I am all for) I wouldn’t be too concerned with what white people thought. But in a society where we still are going to them for jobs, housing, loans etc, I am a bit concerned with how they view us. Especially when black* young men can’t even get jobs at Mickey D’s because it’s assumed that they high strung, oversexed, and have no communication skills.* A white boy can go to look at an apartment or even to a bank to get a loan in raggedy jeans and a t-shirt. I see it all the time. But if a brother is wearing a Sean Jean T-shirt and Tims, they may assume that he’s a hoodlum.

He went on American Idol acting a fool. It was not The Apprentice. The venue in which he did it made it funny to me. People watch the first couple of episodes of American becaue they know some ididot is going to come on, act a fool and make them laugh. To me it&#39;s just that- humor. If he was on some distinguished talk show, interview, or newscast Or even if he had made it to the finals and did another "performance" like he did last night, I would be a bit saddened.

thighslikewhat
01-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by libertyacc@Jan 26 2005, 10:26 PM
and they said no, and he was like "dere it is." :lol: my coworker and i have been sayin that ALL day

Can ya dig it........

caraqueen
01-26-2005, 11:59 PM
:huh: :lol: :Angry_boese008: :icon_headshake:

swingbolder
01-27-2005, 11:10 AM
When did the "black man as buffoon" stereotype ever go away? Anyone see the movie Bamboozled?

ooooo
01-27-2005, 08:28 PM
I think nappilocs that you are one of the LAST FEW NAPTURALS of DEPTH. You are on a deeper level than many of these trendy style oriented types that frequent NP.

I respect you for that.

Ididn&#39;t watch because I am not a fan of popular culture (including TV) but it sounds offensive. That&#39;s a shame. You shouldn&#39;t ignore history or you&#39;ll be doomed to repeat it... perpetuate it... our oppression is a cycle of repeated history on one level or another. We act and think our parts subconsciously and consciously. Pretending history doesn&#39;t matter is NAIVE and childish. It may FEEL GOOD but there is so much more to life than the surface.

Ameka
01-27-2005, 08:39 PM
What happened on American Idol that made Paula and Randy walk out? I didn&#39;t get to see it.

NATURALEE
01-28-2005, 07:11 PM
I think every race has some level of buffoons , but for blacks it stick like paper and glue.

YoGirlToo
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Nappilocs@Jan 26 2005, 11:18 AM
Oh My gosh!! Don&#39;t even get me started on those plays. Why are they all billed as " The hit gospel stage play" :rolleyes:
whenever they have a decent black play, it&#39;s not even advertised on black radio. :rolleyes:

:pointlaugh:

and don&#39;t forget the hit screen play staring cole from martin called
MAMA DONE FELL DOWN THE STAIRS!!!

and yea leroy got on my LAST Nerve

liberationtheory
01-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by YoGirlToo@Jan 31 2005, 11:11 AM
:pointlaugh:

and don&#39;t forget the hit screen play staring cole from martin called
MAMA DONE FELL DOWN THE STAIRS!!!

and yea leroy got on my LAST Nerve

are you serious? is that a real play?????