PDA

View Full Version : contempra, casheria, tayreebria....

frau
01-27-2005, 10:03 PM
would someone please explain these types of names to me? am i just old? are these made up names supposed to reflect a new way of thinking, one that opposes eurocentric tradition? i find these names ridiculous, but then again i'm sure many people find my hair ridiculous and i could care a less who likes it or not. somebody please explain what would make you choose a name that is so strongly connected to.......race and the underclass.

vinny_46
01-27-2005, 10:46 PM
?? I have never heard these terms. What do they mean?

Aesys
01-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Jan 27 2005, 07:46 PM
?? I have never heard these terms. What do they mean?

I think those are names for children. :dunno:

frau
01-27-2005, 10:58 PM
i'm sorry, those are children's names. i heard them this morning on the radio. the parents have sent in their children's names so they can be wished a happy birthday on the radio. i was in commuter traffic when i heard one of the dj's say, "happy birthday to contempra, shaquilla (i left her out) tayreebria and casheria." there was no traditional name in the bunch. i memorized their names just so i could ask you all, what did i miss? did a notice or a flyer go around that i missed stating that we are no longer naming our children christian names?

Shanna
01-27-2005, 11:21 PM
:dunno: Some people just think those names are cute.

casheria
Maybe her mom is a cashier? :P That's how they used to name people back in the stone ages. (for last names though)

animeg
01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
A new tradition has been invented. It's not much different than white folks naming their kids Deezwil or Apple, it's only made a big deal of because black folks are doing it. People will be coming up with their own names til kingdom come.

animeg
01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
A new tradition has been invented. It's not much different than white folks naming their kids Deezwil or Apple, it's only made a big deal of because black folks are doing it. People will be coming up with their own names til kingdom come.

lalyn
01-28-2005, 05:27 AM
Those names just stand out because we live in a society where the right names are supposed to sound like:
Amy
Matthew
Brain
Kelly
Megan
David
In other countries I'm sure those names wouldn't sound odd at all.

NATURALEE
01-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Here are a few more roll call please: Puma, Jawn, Phinneous, Isamery, Talvalyn, E'Onna, Keaujay, Nissian, Alvertus, Saville Deljie, Ja'quanja, Josajandy, Guadalupe. I must admit some of the names are strange but sound nice.

subbrock
01-28-2005, 05:03 PM
my sister and i have been blessed/cursed with non traditional names. my parents both have tradtional names (ted and mae). my mom named my sister "stavette" after her father "steve". my name is "kaila" because...well im not sure. she was going to name me "theodora" because my dad's name is theodore. i guess i got out lucky. but if i ever have kids, i dont want to name them something ridiculous like my name.

subbrock
01-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by NATURALEE@Jan 28 2005, 12:34 PM
Here are a few more roll call please: Puma, Jawn, Phinneous, Isamery, Talvalyn, E'Onna, Keaujay, Nissian, Alvertus, Saville Deljie, Ja'quanja, Josajandy, Guadalupe. I must admit some of the names are strange but sound nice.

guadalupe is a traditional spanish/latino name

liberationtheory
01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by frau@Jan 27 2005, 06:03 PM
would someone please explain these types of names to me? am i just old? are these made up names supposed to reflect a new way of thinking, one that opposes eurocentric tradition? i find these names ridiculous, but then again i'm sure many people find my hair ridiculous and i could care a less who likes it or not. somebody please explain what would make you choose a name that is so strongly connected to.......race and the underclass.

is being tied to race a bad thing? what exactly do you mean by "underclass"

i find it interesting that you are saying that these two are bad things. it's just like "traditional" (ie. white or eurocentric) ppl saying why do we have to have hair that is so strongly connected to.... race adn underclass. for me they are one in the same.

i think it's perfectly okay to have a personal preference, but i just question the allusion to race and underclass you made.

ETA: phinneous is an old european name.

frau
01-28-2005, 07:28 PM
i have no defense. i just don't like those names. it's not that they're not "white" names because i also don't like brittany, brianna, christina or tiffany either.

charise
01-28-2005, 07:46 PM
I don't have a problem with the names. I personally will not name my children any of the above types of names, but that's me. BUT I do have a problem when WF make me the resident authority on the reason why BF name their children these "strange" names...

I've had my ex-boss ask me "Why do y'all name y'all's kids those funny names." Me: "What funny names?" :huh: Him: "You, know names like Shaqueeta, and Lameesha, and Porsche and Binaca?" Me: "I don't know...My name's not any of those, nor do I know anybody with those names...So....Where are you going with this?" Him: "Oh, I mean no offense, but I was just wondering...Well, your name is pretty odd...It's a "black girl" name...Me: "You are so full of s@#t...No it's not...I was named after French Dancer Cyd Charisse...But my mom didn't like the 2 s's...And WTF is Buffy, and Gretchen, and Heidi...Those are odd..."
(My boss and I were very casual in our conversations...but that's a topic for another thread...)

animeg
01-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by charise@Jan 28 2005, 08:46 PM
I don't have a problem with the names. I personally will not name my children any of the above types of names, but that's me. BUT I do have a problem when WF make me the resident authority on the reason why BF name their children these "strange" names...

I've had my ex-boss ask me "Why do y'all name y'all's kids those funny names." Me: "What funny names?" :huh: Him: "You, know names like Shaqueeta, and Lameesha, and Porsche and Binaca?" Me: "I don't know...My name's not any of those, nor do I know anybody with those names...So....Where are you going with this?" Him: "Oh, I mean no offense, but I was just wondering...Well, your name is pretty odd...It's a "black girl" name...Me: "You are so full of s@#t...No it's not...I was named after French Dancer Cyd Charisse...But my mom didn't like the 2 s's...And WTF is Buffy, and Gretchen, and Heidi...Those are odd..."
(My boss and I were very casual in our conversations...but that's a topic for another thread...)

Yea, that happened to me once and they had the nerve to be surprised that I had always wanted one of those names! I liked them as a teen because they sounded really exotic to me. Like a name like Fatima sounds to me today.

Lexxe
01-29-2005, 01:23 AM
I used to dislike these made up names. But then one day at work, some people (two white women and a Latino man) were talking about "weird" names. They didn't specifically say "black" names, but it was more than obvious what they meant. One white woman fixated on the name Shaniqua and how weird it sounded to her. The more she talked, the more I fumed. I thought, how DARE she pass judgment on our names? Now it's cool if you don't like a particular name, but what is so intrinsically weird about the name Shaniqua? It doesn't even go against any of our American name-sound traditions. Sha-nee-qua. Three syllables, ends in a feminine "a" sound. Not unlike Jes-si-ca, or A-man-da or Pa-tri-cia. Not to mention the fact that this white woman's name was SHAWN, which is, as far as I've ever known, a man's name.

Ever since then I have looked at this name thing differently. Why shouldn't we have names that are uniquely ours as a culture and tradition? Everyone else does. In some ways I prefer actual African names, but most of us are kind of removed from Africa, through no fault of our own. Maybe we need some African-American names. I know that now they are a joke and ghetto-associated in a lot of white (and black) circles, but rather than try to name our kids Mary Jane and David in the hopes that they will grow up to be successful adults, I would love to see us raise up Shaqueria and D'amari to be successful adults and proud of themselves.

Then again, I... I will probably give my kids "regular" names so maybe my input doesn't count. But I will say I will feel happy and proud if I bring my kids to see Dr. Kamesha Jackson one day.

pfenix
01-29-2005, 03:34 AM
There was great discussion about this at the old nappy hair site. One of the more memorable comments suggested such names got their start as a misdirected form of black pride beacuse the French spoken by some black African was taken to be a native black language... I could maybe see that happening in the 60s, but that explain the names still being created today.

Laluna
01-29-2005, 05:53 AM
disregard

CrystalD
01-30-2005, 02:01 PM
" have no defense. i just don't like those names. it's not that they're not "white" names because i also don't like brittany, brianna, christina or tiffany either. "

dannng, you just named off several of my family members....

flybutter
01-30-2005, 03:08 PM
I have a distant family member named Jesus Christ. We just call her Christ for short. :rolleyes:

My Mom was a caseworker and saw a lot of different names. She swore women were sitting around stringing letters together.

The only thing that pizzes me off is Black folks who get all mad and embarrassed about what other Black folks choose to name their kids.

Shanna
01-30-2005, 06:28 PM
I have a distant family member named Jesus Christ. We just call her Christ for short. rolleyes.gif

:lol: Isn't that blasphemous?

LifeGiver
01-31-2005, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by frau@Jan 27 2005, 11:03 PM

:dunno:

Race is not the issue. But class IS. Poor people usually don't have names like Laurel, Logan, Gavin, Racquel, Hailey and Bryce. (Yep, these are all REAL Black children) I know I'll get blasted but that's ok. [Acceptance of] the truth will make you free. These are typically names for the middle to upper class. I know white children named "Aisha,"
Shawan, and Lil' Dave (David)-they call him "Day-Day." :rolleyes:
You figure it out.

We ALL know there's a difference between that which is "cultural," "unique," and "ghetto-fabulous."

Classism is the sister to racism...

so don't set yourself (or your children) up.

charli
01-31-2005, 03:54 AM
Poor people usually don't have names like

A lot of wealthy people change their names, go by middle names or assumed names.

carboncopysue
01-31-2005, 02:27 PM
I feel like some names just have a negative connotation associated with them. I would never name my kid Shaniqua, Diamond, etc. because it has a low-class association. I also wouldn't name them Bertha (Makes me think of "Big Bertha"). My cousin named her kid D'Ablo (yet, like "devil" in Spanish), and I wouldn't go for that nor Damien (same meaning).

When I worked for the university, I came across many unusual names, but the one that caught me was "Applemania". At first I thought it was Appolonia, and I actually like that name, but nope, it was Applemania. Now, personally, that's not an appealing name to me, and it's a compound of 2 very ordinary words in the english language.

As far as white folks I know, I had a white friend name Aleiha (version of Aaliyah, which is Arabic, by the way) and one named Caramyr (very pretty, don't know the origin, she said I couldn't steal it :( ). And one of my friends Jodie (ugh, don't like that one either) name her daughter Skylar. I don't see the appeal to that name.

Personally, I would like to name my kids Shadowyn, Maren Bitten, Sayuriko, among others, and those are kinda out there names. But I like them :wub:

I guess for me it's all about taste. And I don't like the "Gavin" and "Logan" names either, because they look to pretentious to me.

Oh well.

Sue.

caraqueen
02-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I now a Suburban, a Shanautica, Januatica, Alise, Remy, Sherica, and and Sunshine, blue, Dakota, Montana.....some are names of black kids others are white kids name. Some I think are cute, some of the other names....well :blush:

Shanna
02-01-2005, 12:14 AM
Alise

Watch it now.... :P You're treading close to my middle name and my niece's first name... :P :P

sharynleigh
02-01-2005, 12:44 AM
How about Sexy Charisse? Yup, I was at a baby shower and this eight month old was named Sexy Charisse. The mother was pissed because people kept commenting.

caraqueen
02-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Shanna@Feb 1 2005, 01:14 AM
Watch it now.... :P You're treading close to my middle name and my niece's first name... :P :P

I don't drink any more.. but boy that's some good liqour. I would name my baby in honor of Alise too. :P :lol:

tenachie
02-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Sexy Charisse is just WRONG!

I guess my issue with these stereotypical names is that they are made up...in the present. If many years from now, someone is called Shaquanisha because that was her greatmother's name, I would have no problem with that. But the worst part is when a carrier of one of these names tells you his/her name and you ask them to spell it and then they get all feisty, like shoo "sha-kwa-nee-sha"! How am I supposed to know how to spell it if your mom made it up. Same goes for alternate spelling of traditional names. If you say your name is "caroline" and spell it karolyne don't roll your eyes when I write it "wrong".

anyway, as an african, the interesting or embarrassing names come through attempted translations. quite a few names translate into something like "god is great", "you are a blessing" and there are people acutally walking around with an english first name of "god is the best"! Times like these, they should just keep the native name.

The other wierd phenomenon is the use of REALLY REALLY OLD EUROPEAN NAMES. You've got some young guy in the village who doesn't even speak english/french what have you, walking around with a name of shakespeare, or blythe or beardsley.

carry on

LifeGiver
02-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I have women friends named Blodwyn, Lexton, and Wallis. I think they are beautiful names. They go by Blody, Lex or Lexi, and Wally.

I also know a woman named Douglas because in her family every 1st grandchild was named after the grand father. Her father's siblings (male and female) ALL had boys as their first child. Doug (the girl) was the only 1st grandchild to be born female. And they decided to keep the tradition.

Also, what we deem an unusual spelling could actually be the common spelling in another country.

LifeGiver
02-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by sharynleigh@Feb 1 2005, 01:44 AM
How about Sexy Charisse? Yup, I was at a baby shower and this eight month old was named Sexy Charisse. The mother was pissed because people kept commenting.

:icon_headshake:

That is wrong on so many levels. She could have named her "Lovely Charisse"
My hubby has a co-worker named "Honey" I think that is cute.
Also I also know a "Sunny" and a "Sunday."

meagan22
02-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by caraqueen@Jan 31 2005, 08:11 PM
I now a Suburban, a Shanautica, Januatica, Alise, Remy, Sherica, and and Sunshine, blue, Dakota, Montana.....some are names of black kids others are white kids name. Some I think are cute, some of the other names....well :blush:

Am I the only one who :lol: when racist white folks name their kids Dakota, Montana, etc?

caraqueen
02-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by sharynleigh@Feb 1 2005, 01:44 AM

:lol: Now why did she do that to that baby just cause that's how she was feeling when she conceived her........ :P

LifeGiver
02-02-2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by caraqueen@Feb 2 2005, 02:32 AM
:lol: Now why did she do that to that baby just cause that's how she was feeling when she conceived her........ :P

:pointlaugh:

vixxen13
02-02-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by frau@Jan 27 2005, 04:58 PM
did a notice or a flyer go around that i missed stating that we are no longer naming our children christian names?

Why do we have to name our children christian names. Stacey isnt a christian name but I suppose thats okay right. Who cares what people name their kids. I think people only get upset because they feel it reflects on the black race as a whole, and they, being the ambassoder for all blacks, feel responsible to answer other races questions about black people. So when Gavin says "why do you people name your kids stuff like that" they feel embarrased and obligated to come up with an explanation so they feel less lame. Get over it. The sooner you retire your black ambassadorship the sooner youll stop caring what the h*ll other people think. Then when Gavin says "why do you black women always do _____ to your hair" You can say, "why are serial killers and pedophiles always white. What makes you pervy whiteys do stuff like that? "

That was only directed at those it applied to. If your offended then that probably means you. If not, dont worry about it.

ETA missing word

MsShel330
02-02-2005, 07:43 PM
ALL kinds of folks give their kids "unconventional" names. Here's a site that illustrates that:

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

charise
02-03-2005, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by vixxen13@Feb 2 2005, 12:30 AM
I think people only get upset because they feel it reflects on the black race as a whole, and they, being the ambassoder for all blacks, feel responsible to answer other races questions about black people. So when Gavin says "why do you people name your kids stuff like that" they feel embarrased and obligated to come up with an explanation so they feel less lame. Get over it. The sooner you retire your black ambassadorship the sooner youll stop caring what the h*ll other people think. Then when Gavin says "why do you black women always do _____ to your hair" You can say, "why are serial killers and pedophiles always white. What makes you pervy whiteys do stuff like that? "

Yeah, what you said....I actually tried proving this point with a former coworker who was Italian...He kept asking the "Why do black people" questions, so I finally asked him, "Why do Italian men wear their shirts unbuttoned to theirs waistband and wear the big gold chains with the cross? :huh: ?" He said, "How am I suppose to know? That's stupid." I said, "Exactly...what makes you think I know everything about the geralizations you're making... :icon_twak:

reggie
02-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by sharynleigh@Jan 31 2005, 09:44 PM

:lol: :P :pointlaugh:

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Oh my goodness, I think I may have coughed up a lung laughing at that one!
But on a side note. I have a traditional Ghanaian name and most of the time the response I get is "oh that&#39;s pretty, where is that from", but one guy actually said " that&#39;s weird, what kind of name is that!" <_< I had to let him know that it&#39;s not weird at all, it&#39;s my grandmother&#39;s name, and it&#39;s quite common where I&#39;m from!!!&#39; that pretty much shut him down. I used to be embarassed about my name when I was younger, b/c it wasn&#39;t the usuall American name like Jennifer, Stacey, or Kate. I even went as far as to &#39;get creative&#39; with the pronunciation of my name to better fit in. lol. But as I got older, I appreciated the fact that my parents didn&#39;t give me or my siblings so called Christian names. If and when I have I have kids, I want them to have traditional Ghanaian names too.

sunschild57
02-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Shanna@Jan 31 2005, 08:14 PM
Watch it now.... :P You&#39;re treading close to my middle name and my niece&#39;s first name... :P :P

...and my Moms name <_<

frau
02-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by vixxen13@Feb 2 2005, 01:30 AM
Why do we have to name our children christian names. Stacey isnt a christian name but I suppose thats okay right. Who cares what people name their kids. I think people only get upset because they feel it reflects on the black race as a whole, and they, being the ambassoder for all blacks, feel responsible to answer other races questions about black people. So when Gavin says "why do you people name your kids stuff like that" they feel embarrased and obligated to come up with an explanation so they feel less lame. Get over it. The sooner you retire your black ambassadorship the sooner youll stop caring what the h*ll other people think. Then when Gavin says "why do you black women always do _____ to your hair" You can say, "why are serial killers and pedophiles always white. What makes you pervy whiteys do stuff like that? "

That was only directed at those it applied to. If your offended then that probably means you. If not, dont worry about it.

ETA missing word

i&#39;m not a christian (see my signature line) but i couldn&#39;t think of a term besides "christian name" that meant usual or traditional name.

i was alone in my car, listening to a black station and felt no embarassment by those names. actually i was embrassed for them not me.

however, about 5 years ago i was asked by a white guy why blacks tend to name their children strange names and why do we wear bright colors. i have no problem telling white folk that we don&#39;t all think with one singular brain and i couldn&#39;t answer that question anymore than he could. what i did tell him was that all names at one time or another were made up, just as language is made up. i tend to defend black culture even when i disagree with it.

i will lighten up and try not to judge those names anymore, they have a right to name their children whatever they want. beyonce isn&#39;t exactly traditional.

btw, i named my daughter lauren. why? cause it looked pretty on the perfume bottle. :unsure:
http://www.perfume4-sale.com/images/products/medium/1045206257445_PL_Lauren_2_0.jpg

Fatty_Girl06
02-03-2005, 11:41 PM
There is no such thing as a "black" names, names see no color. But yes some names are mostly used by black parents for their black children. There is also no such thing as a "proper" name. A Person can be named anything, theres so laws or restrictions, let the parents be FREEE! ;)

And yes I like pretty "unusual" names and that is what I plan on naming my children in the futur

LuvJones
02-04-2005, 08:38 AM
I say people can name their children what ever they want just as I have the right to think those name are just a tad over the top. I have no problem with african names I have one myself, it would be nice if people would actually take the time to find authentic african names so their children have a true connection.

Just my two cents

LJ

Chlyric Images
02-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by flybutter@Jan 30 2005, 08:08 AM
I have a distant family member named Jesus Christ. We just call her Christ for short. :rolleyes:

My Mom was a caseworker and saw a lot of different names. She swore women were sitting around stringing letters together.

The only thing that pizzes me off is Black folks who get all mad and embarrassed about what other Black folks choose to name their kids.

AMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I hear too many condescending black folks acting like they are of the elite class just cause they choose to name their children Christopher and Haley. Sounds like a whole bunch of azz kissing to me.

moonchild
02-07-2005, 07:14 AM
this subject comes up again and again.

and i&#39;ll admit, as a teacher in los angeles...i&#39;ve encountered some names that have made me pause

(imunique comes to mind....as in I&#39;m Unique!!)

but after I pause, I accept and marvel at the energy that folks try to channel when naming their child.

Some folks consider the name Malika hoodish. That&#39;s my middle daughter&#39;s name. I&#39;ve found that a lot of names are only considered "ghetto" if a Black person dons it, otherwise it&#39;s tolerated.

We can figure that out.

I&#39;ve also noticed that a lot of Japanese names have a lot in common with so called "Black" names.

What took the cake for me was a student at the high school I taught at in Jersey:

Her first name was Dr. (I forget her middle name.)

Her parents gave her a PhD at birth. I&#39;ve never been able to decide whether I should laugh or marvel at their genius!

~mc~

bajanempress
02-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Candida from the TV show with Richard Branson...... ammm ain&#39;t that a yeast infection? or at the very least.... just plain old yeast?

gilroygal
02-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, my name is Psyletta (pronounced Saleeta)....go figure. People have asked me SO many questions about this name, like I know the origin, or something. My parents knew someone with this name, and they liked it. I personally am not into names like Ronquisha, Shalaylay, or what have you, but hey, if a parent wants to name their child something unique, who am I to judge.