PDA

View Full Version : How did YOU pay for college?

tran68
01-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Did you pay for college yourself, through scholarships/grants/loans or did your parents pay?

Were you surprised when you found out your parents could not foot the bill? When did you find out? Did/do you hold that against them?

Ameka
01-31-2005, 08:06 PM
When I went to VA State University, My parents paid for some of it. Loans, paid for the rest.

I didn't do well in school at all. I went buck wild. I was not thinking about no school work.

Now that I have gotten serious my education, I pay for it myself. I don't quality for financial aid so I just pay for it out of pocket. It is a hurting thing, but it will benefit me in the long run.

Patrina
01-31-2005, 08:20 PM
I foot the bill with help from my mother. :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

P

4real
01-31-2005, 08:21 PM
In undergrad I had an athletic, academic, diversity, and religious scholarship but because I went to a private school I still ended up with $14,000 in loans which my parents as a graduation present are paying for.
In grad school I have a tuition and fee waiver. But I have a loan to pay for books and rent. My parents are helping me now but in a sense they are because when I graduate from school I will only have these newly acquired loans to worry about.

There are so many scholarships out there go to your local library and check it out if you need more funds.

tjolims
01-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Did you pay for college yourself, through scholarships/grants/loans or did your parents pay?

I paid for myself, mostly...my parents paid down about $1500 my freshman year, and my grandparents about $1000 my junior year. I got two relatively small Stafford loans, a bunch of small scholarships here and there, but I paid the majority via overtime pay in the summers and school breaks and hustling during the semesters. I didn't get any grants at all, and the only Federal aid I got was the Staffords.

Were you surprised when you found out your parents could not foot the bill? When did you find out? Did/do you hold that against them?

Yes, because they kept promising that they would. I knew that their financial situation wasn't the best, and was actually trying to find other ways to pay for my education, but they kept saying no, we'll get it, we'll take care of it, to the point where they wouldn't even give me their tax information so I could complete the FAFSA form. I had to sic my grandmother and great-aunt on them to make them give the info up.
I found out that they couldn't the week I started school.
At first, I was very, very bitter about the whole thing. Everyone around me was partying and I was working thirty hours a week AND trying to pass my freshman year of school AND trying to have some sort of life too. My parents have never been good at financial stewardship and I knew that from a very young age. So while on the one hand, I was angry at them for reneging on their promise, on the other hand, I was also very pissed at myself for even agreeing to accept hypothetical funds from them. It took a while for me to get over those feelings, but eventually I did, because the whole thing(my feelings) was rooted in unwarranted selfishness and pride anyway.

Lokii
01-31-2005, 09:51 PM

Loans, school grants, state grants, pell grant, you name it grant. And I'm still paying for it - i.e. loans. Fifteen years past 1st degree and nine years past second. Oh well, no regrets.

Were you surprised when you found out your parents could not foot the bill?

No. My father put himself through college by way of scholarships, grants and working part time and summers. My mom used employee tuition benefits. I guess I always knew I was expected to do the same.

Did/do you hold that against them?

No. I guess it would have been nice if I didn't feel pressured to go straight from high school to college because I wasn't at a level of maturity where I was able to get the maximum benefit from it. It would have been nice if I could have waited till I was older and maybe worked all the way through instead of taking out loans .... But as I say - no regrets. Overall I'm glad for my education.

roxygirl
02-07-2005, 05:53 AM
I had a scholarship that covered a very small amount, but I was very, very lucky that my parents paid my tuition for all four years of my school.

Brown Rose
02-07-2005, 11:12 AM
I have been on my own since I was nineteen, thus I used the GI Bill from the military, loans, both subsidized and private, as well as credit cards to pay my way, and that does not include working two jobs for most of my working life, while skirting the poverty line.

Since I plan on entering a professional program sometime next year, I intend to keep going that route, but I plan on researching for grants and scholarships, even though pickings are slim when you go the Graduate school route.

Let me add that I do not advocate this route for serious students. Make sure that you ahve a strong GPA, good test scores, and stellar recommendations in order to access grant, scholarship, and work-study opportunities. If you can find creative ways to support yourself without familial help-do it.

I envy those who had supportive family members and monetary aid. Treasure what you have and be thankful.

The added strain of financing your education, supporting your self both body and soul, and trying to construct and create a viable future without any outside support is stressful, dauting, and at times soul crushing.

elleebeme5
02-07-2005, 01:42 PM
My parents paid for undergrad after my first year which was covered through scholarships. I did grad school with loans and working.

ScoobyGurl
02-07-2005, 01:51 PM
When I went to Colgate, I had my undergrad paid for mostly from grants from the college and the federal government. I had like one loan for a very small amount of money. Even now most of my school is paid for through grants. I guess there's one good thing to being poor :lol:

joesdaughter
02-07-2005, 11:37 PM
I worked two jobs in the mall, and did hair on the side! :)

Dolliesdaughter
02-09-2005, 04:38 PM

1st time around my mother, grant, small student loan. Second time around when I finished, I paid some myself and most via student loan

Were you surprised when you found out your parents could not foot the bill?
My mother was footing most of the bill first time around but I was acting like an **** in college and quit. No partying, I just didn't do work, now I believe it may have been slight depresssion, because I only left my room to go to class but I still didn't do work or homework.

When did you find out? n\a

Did do you hold that against them? n\a

tdhayes
02-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Undergrad was taken care of courtesy of a presidential scholarship from Alabama State. It cover tuition, fees, room and board, books and gave me a semester stipend.

Grad school was done via student loans from Univ. of AL-B'ham and out of my pocket.

My parents ALWAYS told me up front that if I wanted to go to school out of state (I didn't even apply to ANY in state schools) that I would HAVE to get a scholarship. Sooo, ALL of my activities in high school were centered around me making myself eligible for scholarships. It worked.

Cia
02-10-2005, 04:59 AM
I'm currently in college. My company pays tuition plus a teeny tiny stipend per semester. I pay for books and fees. When I become management (in the very near future), they foot the entire bill provided my school is an accredited institution.

NappyNiece
02-10-2005, 07:13 AM
"Did you pay for college yourself, through scholarships/grants/loans or did your parents pay?"

For scholarships given out by the univeristy for my undergrad I had three academic, one honor, and one multicultural scholarship.

I had a TON of outside scholarships also and pell grant. I applied for every scholarship that I could find. I ever stole several scholarships from my now husband. He never lets me forget that, nor do I!

Let me stand on my soapbox, I didn't pay a dang thing for college. But I worked my azz off in high school so I wouldn't have too! I worked ten times harder and was involved in ten times more activities and varsity sports so I would stand out to get EVER scholarship I applied for. I did have a job for that extra money for HAIR ( evil lye), clothes, ramen noodles, you know the necessities!

"Were you surprised when you found out your parents could not foot the bill? When did you find out? Did/do you hold that against them? "

I knew that if I didn't find financial needs, my ma and dad would be in the same situation they were in 7 years earlier trying to send my brother to college. I was be damned if I saw my family suffer again. I don't hold it against them, it was just the situation. I acutally appreciate it in a ironic way because it helped me become resourceful and a hardworker.

hunneme77
02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
This is interesting cause I am having School Loan headaches now.

I am paying for my school loans. I have about 15,000(Undergrad)...to pay back. My parents offered when I got out but for some reason..I feel its my responsiblity...well before I read this post. I have always felt like it was my education; so why wouldn't I have to pay for it. I dunno that's just me.

I am trying to figure out how to pay them back. I hate having debt over my head. (especially since i want a sports bike ...like NOW!) I know prioritize.

One of my friends mentioned the possiblity of me refinancing my home(which I plan to do) and throw my student loans into it . Has anyone else done this or have an opinion on doing this.

I have been debating this for about 3 months...something just doesn't seem right.

ThisIsKia
02-10-2005, 12:49 PM
My mother paid for the first few semesters. I now pay out of my pocket 1 class at a time...gonna get some FA this year even if I have to smack George Dub to get it!

moejoe4
02-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I paid for college through grants, work study, and loans. I went to a private school so I new that there was no way of getting around loans. Although I was an athlete, my school did not give athletic scholarships. In place of that they found a way to get you as many grants as possible.

:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

sonshinescoils
02-12-2005, 09:48 PM
my undergraduate education was funded through a university presidential scholarship and thurgood marshall scholarship.

my graduate education was funded by a teaching assistantship from the university with a monthly stipend. but i STILL needed loans to l.i.v.e.

my postgraduate education, prayerfully, will be funded by the university through a teaching fellowship (i may also qualify for just-because-i'm-black scholarship ;)).

it never came up about my parent's ability (or lack of) to pay for school. it was generally accepted/expected that i would go by way of scholarship. and if not they'd get a second mortgage if necessary. i still don't know if my parents' could have paid for college.

AJoyrnee
02-13-2005, 04:12 AM
Well, I'm still in college. :)

My parents have paid for my first two years but my grades begin to slip drastically so understandably, they stopped. If they hadn't, I probably wouldn't be learning (the hard way) how to handle my finances and so many other things that comes along with maturing. :blush:

I'll be footing the bill, even if that means going to school part time. Scholarships, grants, and monetary gifts are, of course, accepted to pay for my education. However, I'm staving away from student loans of any and every kind. I refuse to go to school on credit.

:wub:

China
02-14-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm still in undergrad. I've been getting by with need based grants. My EFC(Estimated Family Contribution) is consistently $0, so I always get the max when it comes to grants.

I would suggest to any parent with teenagers hitting college soon to think about letting a parent on fixed income start claiming your college bound kids. It makes ALL the difference. That meager tax break aint worth it if you're applying for PLUS loans months later. It will save you thousands of dollars each year.

China
02-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by tran68@Jan 31 2005, 09:02 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't answer your questions completely. I guess you could say the school and government is paying for my education.

My father has claimed me since I was 16. I knew if my mother did, I would be applying for loans, which I refuse to do. I'm sorry, but I'm not trying to pay for school when someone sitting next to me in class is going for free. It's really sad that if you help yourself in any way, the government and school leave you hanging. My mother could not afford to pay my tuition, and I did NOT want her to.

My dad claims three of his children on a custodian's salary. My freshman year, he apologized for not being able to help me like he wanted to. I thanked him in return, because he was the reason I was going to school for free. :lol:

My personal opinion is that I'm grown. My education is MY responsibility, not my parents.

erinm
02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
My parents paid (are payinig) for everything. I am incredibly grateful.

Me220
02-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Currently my parents and my grandmother are paying for my undergrad, with the understanding that all the loans are my responsibility. They always told me, if i worked hard in school and stayed on the straight and narrow path, then I wouldn't have to worry about paying. I also have a scholarship that covers tuition, which helps a lot, and I'm at an instate school. So a lot of things worked to my advantage. I am very grateful for their help.

Deljah
02-20-2005, 07:13 PM
I knew going into high school that if I didn't get a scholarship that I wouldn't be going off to college. I would've been going to the local community college and paying for it myself and still living at home. Since I didn't want to do that, I hatched an "escape" plan to qualify for an academic scholarship. The Lord blessed :wub: , and I got one to a university. My first year, I also got a minority presence grant.

The scholarship was the basis of my undergrad funding. I also worked for campus housing as a residence advisor, maintenance assistant and housekeeping assistant to get extra money. It was tough sometimes, but I got through undergrad in four years with no debt. I am proud of and thankful for that.

Grad school is being covered by my job.

Oh - my parents didn't have to tell me about the $$ situation. I could assess that for myself. I only resented them to the extent that they said they were going to do certain things, and I ended up having to do it myself. Like buying a refrigerator and microwave and stuff like that. I got over that though. Things were tough at home at that time. I'm glad that God blessed me to have what I needed anyway.

mydestiny
02-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Pell grants and me myself, and I.

LadyJ305
02-22-2005, 04:01 PM
While working on my AS I was on a full academic scholarship, plus I had financial aid so I did not have to worry about anything. When I started working on my BS I was on a partial academic scholarship, I had financial aid, and I had to take out loans. In addition to all that I still had to pay out of pocket for my textbooks :angry: . My parents were unable to help me finance my education and I understand/understood why. I was not upset about it, but it just taught me that when I have children I have to plan ahead and set up some sort of college fund for them. Even if they dont want to go to college (college is not for everyone) they will have that money to help them find their place in the world.

DSTDIVA
02-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Well, thankfully, I went to school on a Full Athletic Scholarship. I even was fortunate to have my graduate school payed for since I was also the Graduate Assitant for my fomer Basketball Team.

I didn't realize how much college cost and how blessed I was to not have to pay for school until I started noticing my brother (who is still in undergrad) trying to come up with money to pay for this and that. I even took out a loan during Graduate school, which I am paying on now, but it is rather subtle compared to how much it would have cost to take out loans for my entire college period...whew!! :angry:

kcnatural
02-23-2005, 01:32 AM
My parents paid for me and my 2 sisters. I didn't really appreciate that until years after I graduated. What a gift.

Katintransit
02-23-2005, 03:19 AM
I'm 32 and served 8 years in the Navy. I played around alot in my younger days and now am going back to school to become and ESL teacher abroad. I am paying for school with my GI Bill for my undergraduate degree, and I'm making sure my GPA is 3.0 or better. Before I transfer for my B.A. I'm making sure to put in for as many scholarships as I can. I'll probably have blisters on my hands from filling out so many scholarships. On one hand I'm glad I waited to go back to school and on another I'm not. But right this second it's probably for the best because I have an excellent job at a university working the Vice President and I'm in a better place emotionally, my maturity level helps alot too.

jenoy
03-01-2005, 01:19 PM
G. I. Bill/ Pell Grant 2001 :D

swirly
03-08-2005, 05:17 PM
I got a full-time job at the university I wanted to attend. They have a tuition remission program for employees. I just paid for books.

synergy
03-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Academic Scholarship and I received a nice scholarship every semester from the grocery store where I worked in high school.

DymSx
03-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm still in college and even though I got an amazing financial aid package, I still have a part time job on campus to pay for the unexpected extras.

JustKei
03-09-2005, 03:04 PM
My parents paid for my first 2 years of college and I paid the rest. It wasnt bad cause I completed my bachelors partime while I was working fulltime. I felt that I could afford it so I saved them the burden. I did take out a very small loan and my Dad was not happy about it.....

Felisha76
03-09-2005, 03:40 PM
I joined the army and received TA which pays for classes while in the army, which makes it free. :D Now that I am out, I use my GI BIll and College fund. I also payed the army 600 dollars before I got out so that I could get an extra 150 a month added to my GI Bill. For those who are still in, dont pass on this opportunity. My monthly benefits for school is 1547. If you are currently in the military please take advantage of all the free education available to you.

nappyesquire
03-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by tran68@Jan 31 2005, 01:02 PM

scholarships--- tons of them for undergrad.
grants--- usually qualified for pell grant
loans--- crap load of them. especially for law school
parents-- my family contribution was small but my mother faithfully paid it each year

... it was no surprise that my mother could not foot the bill.
tuition room & board were $32,000/yr at my university. my mom didn't even make $30k/yr so :dunno: not too surprising.