PDA

View Full Version : Do You Listen To Secular Music?

Twistednkinky
07-11-2003, 02:38 AM
I listen to secular music, but there is just some music that I refuse to listen to because it hampers me in my relationship with the Creator! How about you?

Do you listen to secular music and if so, does it hamper you in your faith or your relationship with your Creator? And what kind of music do you refuse to listen to, as a result of it negatively impacting your relationship with the ONE you serve?

SoulStar
07-11-2003, 05:53 AM
I do listen to secular music. However, I make it a point to not listen to music that goes against what I believe. On Sunday or days I'm attending a lot of church I listen to Christian music or I listen Bob Marley. I can't put on some Rage Against the Machine before church and expect to get a vision of God. :P

elleebeme5
07-11-2003, 01:13 PM
I listen to and love a great deal of secular music. I will not however, listen to music that is not edifying. I don't care to listen to mess about people having affairs (I loved Me and Mrs. Jones, but I change the station when it comes on now). Similarly, I don't listen to Christian music whose lyrics I don't think give the appropriate message. There's a song, "Shut Up and Start" doing something. It's stupid and I won't listen to him. If the song isn't based in scripture, I won't listen to it.

tran68
07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Yeah I do....I also watch Charmed (withcraft) and Silence of the Lambs (cannibalism) every time it comes on TV.....on occasion I'll even listen to a lil Black Sabbath and Whitesnake along with some gangsta rap....all things that "seasoned saints" tell me are not good for my spirit.

As the holy spirit takes over I'm told all of those things will cease.

Joyfulocs
07-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by elleebeme5@Jul 11 2003, 08:13 AM
I listen to and love a great deal of secular music. I will not however, listen to music that is not edifying. I don't care to listen to mess about people having affairs (I loved Me and Mrs. Jones, but I change the station when it comes on now). Similarly, I don't listen to Christian music whose lyrics I don't think give the appropriate message. There's a song, "Shut Up and Start" doing something. It's stupid and I won't listen to him. If the song isn't based in scripture, I won't listen to it.
Hmmm... doesn't sound like a gospel song I'll be humming anytime soon! It's so important to realize that not all gospel is edifying.

To answer the original question, I do listen to secular music. HOWEVER, as much as I would like to, I have found that I can't listen to everything. I'm single by choice and design and some songs just don't do anything to help me keep my mind on Him and not so focused on my life as a single woman. It's probably just better that I turn the dial when I hear a song like Tony Terry's When I'm with You come on the radio. On the other hand, I can easily listen to Stevie Wonder's AS or All I Do. :D

Of course, I listen to a lot of talk radio!

I don't think it hampers my faith, but it does affect my thoughts.

strawwberryz
07-11-2003, 06:37 PM
I listen to alot of 'secular' music.
My measuring stick is always What Would Jesus Listen To? I think when you are in tune with Him, you will get convicted accordingly if the music is not for you or edifying.

BamaFro
07-13-2003, 11:33 PM
Mmm . . . I listen to secular music. Sometimes, depending on what CD I'm listing to, secular music and religious centered music merge.

Even though I LUV :pumpheart: the sound of X-to-the-Z Xzibit's sound and everything, I can't listen to him like I want to if I wanna work on my relationship with the creator. B)

But as far as people like Vivian Green, Floetry, and Jill Scott . . . their music is so soulful, you can't help but feel good about their music. But that's just me.

undrea
07-24-2003, 05:25 AM
I do listen to some secular music. I do belive that what you listen to will affect your thoughts. I try not to listen to things that are vulgar or not uplifting. I don't own any secular cd's at all. I decided to get rid of secular cd's about 3yrs ago and I have not bought any since then. I don't really listen to the radio, but I do watch some videos from time to time.(at least the decent ones).

tjolims
07-24-2003, 06:08 AM
I do. I find that some secular music is more edifying than some Christian music...which is weird when you think about it, but I'd rather listen to things that edify me, regardless of genre, rather than play the "churchianity" game and only listen to Christian music regardless of quality.

mochacaremel
07-24-2003, 10:50 AM
I asked my priest this very same question. My DH listens to NUTHIN' but down south rap. Which if you are not familiar, down south rap needs its own category. :rolleyes: (I'm from up North)

Anyways, the priest said he himself listens to some country and jazz! He said "As long as what you are listening to does not corrupt your soul, you can listen to whatever you want."

I dug that. See, I know I can't listen to 50 cent without walking away angry and "corrupted" so I've stopped listening to him.

Mocha

rockinlocs
07-24-2003, 01:17 PM
I like Jazz and the old-school slow jams. My husband (a preacher) loves Brian McKnight and he likes old-school slow jams as well.

My husband has a beautiful singing voice and I love for him to sing to me. But I'd much rather he sing love songs to me rather than gaze lovingly into my eyes, take me by the hand and then break out with "Oh Happy Day" or something like that! :lol:

So, I guess I'm saying that there is a time and a place for anything. I LOVE Gospel music but as some have stated here, I will NOT listen to all of it 'cause some of it just does nothing for my soul.

Joyfulocs
07-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by rockinlocs@Jul 24 2003, 08:17 AM
My husband has a beautiful singing voice and I love for him to sing to me. But I'd much rather he sing love songs to me rather than gaze lovingly into my eyes, take me by the hand and then break out with "Oh Happy Day" or something like that! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: ^_^ ^_^

kinkytwists1
07-27-2003, 01:40 AM
I listen to secular music but it does not hampen my faith because I try to listen to only the "clean" secular music. Most of the secular cds I have (ranging from r&b, pop, soul, and some hip hop) are uplifting, positive, and sometimes even encourage believing in God or they might have a song dedicated to Him on their cd; so it's all good. lol. The way I see it is that if I can't listen to the cd with my parents around or if the cd has parental advisory on it, I shouldn't be buying it in the first place. So far so good. I personally do not listening to music with curse words, violence, and sexual material. I recently started listening to the radio less and less. The quality of the music is getting worse, and plus it seems like the radio is hampering my faith not my cds. However, I do listen to the gospel segment of the radio on Sundays and I plan on buying some gospel cds for Christmas. :D :thumbsup:

blumoonbabe
07-27-2003, 11:56 PM
I feel that if you're strong in mind...."worldly" music will not stand in your way of your relationship with God. I listen to any and everything honestly, do I follow everything I listen to? Of course not!

vuqua1
07-29-2003, 04:26 PM
I do listen to secular music. It doesn't interfere with my relationship with God. There are some songs I will not listen to because it does nothing for my spirit. There are some Gospel/Christian music I don't particularly care for 'cuz the 'feel' of the song is very secular. For example, remember Kirk Franklin's Stomp? I enjoyed this song 'cuz it had a good beat and I dug the message. However, one night when I was in Atlanta Live the DJ played this song and had the nerve to remix it as a club version :blink: Ever since then I am very critical of the non secular music that sounds as if it can be a secular song or possibly cross over on the 'pop' charts.

TEASIA
07-31-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by rockinlocs@Jul 24 2003, 08:17 AM
I like Jazz and the old-school slow jams. My husband (a preacher) loves Brian McKnight and he likes old-school slow jams as well.

So, I guess I'm saying that there is a time and a place for anything. I LOVE Gospel music but as some have stated here, I will NOT listen to all of it 'cause some of it just does nothing for my soul.
:lol: Rockinlocs, You got me crackin' up about the "Oh Happy Day". I also listen to SOME secular music and I am a Brian McKnight fan as well. I listen to lots of Gospel music, but some gospel music will get turned off with a quickness if it does nothing for me spiritually or if its not uplifting!

I listen to love songs when my dh and I are setting the mood! :wub: and at other times I listen to country, jazz, old school r&b, 80's, but the thing is, I am careful about what music I listen to because like many of you say, these things can get into your spirit and have you saying "Go, Go Go Shawty..." (yall know the rest) :thumbsup:

free2bme
07-31-2003, 06:11 AM
Teasia,

I also enjoy jazz, country and some old school (LTD, Maze, Isley Brothers). I mostly stay with gospel and word tapes by various speakers 95% of the time. Secular music is enticing in a very subtle way. I agree that it can get in your spirit and cause unrest. I don't have the peace that I have when I listen to gospel music that is uplifting and word tapes that encourage and edify. So I am careful too about what I listen to on the radio and in the privacy of my home.