PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable Lasagna

MsNaNa
02-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey all. I plan to try and make some vegetable lasagna when I get off my current fast. I am hoping that there are some people on here that have made their own and know it's good.

ETA: I'm sorry if this hasn't been made clear. I don't know how to make lasagna unless it's already packaged and you just have to put it in the oven. So please give so good recipes & directions. Thanks

KRE8TIV
02-08-2005, 07:25 PM
My mama makes a MEAN vegetable lasagna...it is the best!!!

^_^ See what you've gone and done? Now I'm hungry :pop: ...!!!
I'ma try and get the recipe/ingredients for ya.

Natural2003
02-08-2005, 08:06 PM
I use s, tomatoes (whole or chopped), and broccli in my vegetable lasagna and of couse tomato sauce. The s give me the meaty taste. It is very good to me and others did not even seem to mind that it was vegetable. I think you can basically use whatever vegetables you want and it will be good.

bluvember
02-08-2005, 10:11 PM
I make what I call a mexican lasanga. You can add some Boca crumbles if you just want a meaty texture. Or real meat if you like. Sometimes I use shrimp too. Last time I made it, it was real spicy.

4 flour tortillas
1 1/2 cup Mexican cheese mix
1 cup queso
1 can(small) slices black olives
1 small can enchilada sauce
1 small can diced green chiles
1 packet taco seasoning
1 bay leaf
1/2 can refried beans
1 can diced tomatoes (Rotel)
1 1/2 cup chopped onion, celery, bell pepper(red, green, yellow) mix
I make what I call a mexican lasanga. Its really simple and quick.

In a saucepan cook down the onion, celery bell pepper mix until soft. Add diced tomatoes, bay leaf, chiles, queso and taco seasoning. In a seperate pot heat refried beans and 2 tbs enchilada sauce until warm, set aside.
In a 9in baking dish layer a tortilla, beans, queso mix, black olives, and shredded cheese. Use the last tortilla to top it off, cover with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake @ 400 for about 15-20 minutes.

DaisysHair
02-09-2005, 03:34 AM
I have to make my own, I tried the frozen Prego type and was so sick from the taste. HORRIBLE. :D

Button2004
01-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Does anyone have anymore recipes? I would really like to make some for myself during my no meat week. :)

Button2004
01-23-2006, 01:24 AM
<span style="font-family:Trebuchet Ms">I did a search and found some on AllRecipes.com for anyone who is interested:

Here are a couple I may choose from:

Vegetarian Lasagna (http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/VegetarianLasagna.asp)

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 1 (16 ounce) package instant lasagna noodles
* 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed and chopped
* 2 large carrots, shredded
* 2 large zucchini, diced
* 2 summer squash, diced
* 1 large eggplant, diced
* 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
* 1 cup ricotta cheese (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch baking dish.
2. Place a layer of tomatoes in the bottom of the baking dish, followed by a layer of noodles, spinach, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant and broccoli. Season to taste with oregano, salt and pepper. Repeat layering of ingredients until all are used up. If using cheeses sprinkle over broccoli layers and on top of dish.
3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes.

Hearty Vegetable Lasagna (http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/HeartyVegetableLasagn.asp)

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
* 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
* 3/4 cup chopped onion
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
* 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse with cold water, and drain.
2. In a large saucepan, cook and stir mushrooms, green peppers, onion, and garlic in oil. Stir in pasta sauce and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Mix together ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, and eggs.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread 1 cup tomato sauce into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer 1/2 each, lasagna noodles, ricotta mix, sauce, and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layering, and top with remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

:wub: </span>

tiekayashi
01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
mmm, i love me some veg lasagna..

definition of love those recipies look tasty :)

usually when i make mine i stick to one main veggie ingredient bc sometimes i get overwhlemed when my lasagana tastes too much like too many vegetables, lol.

i sometimes only use spinach in the sauce.. or i might use eggplant in the sauce and layer with cheese and cook like it says on the lasagna noodle package.

..just one tip, along with ure main seasonings, a sprinkling of nutmeg into the sauce mixture is really good!

missCONGENIALity
02-18-2006, 04:01 AM
Button, thanks for the recipes. I will try one out tomorrow.

lifeAgift
02-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Follow the receipe on the pasta box and just use extra firm tofu mixed with nutritional yeast flakes instead of meat. I like using lots of mushroom for bulk. My favorite is squash and broccoli layered between my noodles with lots of cheese. definitely use real tomatoes. Many of the jar sauces contain meat and to much sodium.

lisa_826
02-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I use...

Chunky vegetable Ragu (the kind with veggies like zucchini in it)
Fresh chopped zucchini, squash, peppers (red, yellow, & orange)
Ricotta & mozzarella cheese

I mix my sauce, the ricotta cheese, & the veggies together.

Layer the bottom on the pan with the boiled lasagne noodles. Spread some of the sauce mixture on the noodles. Top with more noodles, then more sauce, etc til pan is filled or you run out of ingredients. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake!

Just keep a close eye on it. When the cheese is melted and is starting to brown, take it out.

honeychild
02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
great recipes and instructions in this thread ladies!! mmmmmm i haven&#39;t made veggie lasagne in FOREVER. yall got me hungry.

firm tofu w/nutri yeast sounds really interesting!
grate some nutmeg into the sauce? wow i&#39;ll have to try that!

i never put a meat-type substitute into my lasagna b/c my taste buds don&#39;t know to expect it - i was in my late twenties before i had some even with turkey. it was good, but didn&#39;t taste like &#39;lasagna&#39; to me. it tasted like ... a turkey casserole or something! :lol:

my &#39;recipe&#39; - boil some noodles -but not until they&#39;re all the way cooked b/c i hate overcooked noodles and the baking can take them the rest of the way - and assemble as in the post above.

i like to use a combo of marinara sauce and chopped tomatoes. splash a little sauce under the first layer of noodles. basically just for lubrication. ;)

i love a lot of veggies - i will clean out my friggin fridge making some lasagna, LOL! i love grated carrots in there. zucchini sliced into half-moons. spinach is a must (fresh would be great but to be honest i usually use frozen; i just let it thaw to room temperature the night before so it&#39;s not overcooked by boiling to thaw, and then baking the lasagne.) what else? broccoli is great. some black olives maybe. the chopped (canned) tomatoes. i mix the veggies all together in a large bowl or on the chopping board; makes for less deliberation during assembly. ;)

i season my ricotta: dump it into a bowl and add lots of garlic, oregano, basil, maybe a little rosemary. maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup of grated parmesan or romano. lots of fresh grated black pepper. if i am using spinach i will sometimes mix it with the ricotta. to make a cheesy/veggie mixture that looks a little like spinach dip.

in assembly, i spoon the ricotta in smallish lumps on top of each layer of noodles. if i&#39;m feeling ambitious i will spread it. veggie mixture goes on top of that. then sprinkle a little mozzarella and splash with a generous layer of sauce. lay down more noodles and repeat, repeat, repeat. top w/mozzarella and grated parmesan/romano. bake until bubbling and slightly browned.

mmmmmmmm mmmmmm i have worked myself into a frenzy. sounds like i&#39;ll be having lasagna sometime soon... i have to wait until we have company though b/c the hubster doesn&#39;t roll with cheese too tough and i can&#39;t finish a whole lasagna by myself :lol:

honeychild
02-25-2006, 08:41 PM
ooh ooh ooh! it&#39;s in the oven!!

*does a little happy lasagna dance*

i haven&#39;t made lasagna in forEVER yall. i will have to come back and edit this once i eat it to say if it&#39;s actually any good but i&#39;m SO AMPED about having made it!!

yay yay no peanut butter sammiches for me today!

:lol:

kutemommie
02-27-2006, 04:12 PM
I am def. going to have to try this!