PDA

View Full Version : Labels agree to ban 'homophobic' reggae

tjolims
02-08-2005, 11:36 PM
I know this has been discussed on the boards before, but this action is surprising to me:

Deal to ban homophobic reggae music (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4246599.stm)

From the article:

The reggae industry is to refuse to release or stage concerts featuring homophobic songs under a global deal struck with gay rights groups.
A damaging campaign against stars such as Beenie Man and Sizzla has been waged over lyrics that allegedly call for gay people to be killed or assaulted.

The campaign, which led to gigs being scrapped and a UK police investigation, will now be dropped under the truce.

The protests had been led by the Stop Murder Music coalition, an umbrella group including OutRage!, the Black Gay Men's Advisory Group and Jamaican movement J-Flag.

Sizzla was forced to cancel a five-date UK tour last year
That coalition has reached a verbal agreement with major dancehall reggae record labels and concert promoters covering eight of the scene's biggest stars.

But the artists themselves were not involved in the negotiations and have not directly signed up.

The Stop Murder Music campaign saw protesters picket gigs, resulted in Sizzla's UK tour being cancelled in November, forced Mobo award organisers to drop artists from nominations and saw Beenie Man dropped from an MTV show in August.

Police have also been investigating whether lyrics incite the assault and murder of gay people.

The campaign was a blow to the reggae industry, Mr Yearwood admitted. "If you can't have major stars touring, then you don't sell many albums," he said.

linette411
02-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Wow, this may not even be on topic but. Back in the day or at least MY day being a boty boy (spelling?) was something not tolerated in Jamaica and that is what they sang about. I have heard many stories of gay men that have been beat down in the streets of Jamaica. Now as I said, this was during MY younger days when I had a Jamaican boyfriend. Has Jamaica changed that much? Is Reggae very popular in UK?

If things are still the way I remember them to be in Jamaica I don’t see Jamaican artists changing their views none on this subject. Hence would they care that they won’t be playing in the UK? :dunno:

:pop:

tjolims
02-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by linette411@Feb 8 2005, 05:20 PM
If things are still the way I remember them to be in Jamaica I don’t see Jamaican artists changing their views none on this subject. Hence would they care that they won’t be playing* in the UK?* :dunno:
:pop:

I think part of it is that a lot more people in the UK buy cds than people in Jamaica, just by sheer population numbers alone...so I think it might be a money thing.

And yeah, reggae is HUGE in the UK from what I've seen.