PDA

View Full Version : Redefining marriage 2

awren
02-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Is it time to reexamine the definition of marriage? It's not a radical concept. Even in the bible, Adam is a husband with one wife. David has hundreds of wives. Even Abraham, God's friend, has a wife and a "situation".
Is monogamy a reasonalble expectation? Should it be sanctioned by the gov't in the form of marriage? Most marriages end in divorce. What about term marriages? We contract to be married for a specified period of time then can renew our marital contract or walk away. Would it be beneficial to redefine marriage? Who can get married? What age, gender, how many people? If we're all consenting adults, why can't I marry two men? I wouldn't but if we all agree why not?
Is the traditional definition of marriage obsolete?

NLight1
02-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Great topic. I think what a marriage is or isn't should be left up to the individuals who get married. For example, over in the OLT there is a thread about Will and Jada, that they are swingers. Also, that at one point Ossie Davis and Ruby had an "open" marriage. I say, if it works for them, and they are happy, more power to them. What works for one couple, doesn't mean it will work for all. And the government shouldn't have any rights to tell grown consenting adults how or what their marriage should or shouldn't consist of. This is why I am not against gay marriage because who am I to tell grown people when/what age/how or whatever. Morality/Christian viewpoints/or whatever should not be placed on everyone. Everyone doesn't have morals (sorry), everyone doesn't believe in God(sad, but true) so they shouldn't be forced to live their lives based on others morality.

Thats my :2cents: I'm sure this topic will get some interesting responses :D

Jazitones
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by awren@Feb 10 2005, 09:19 AM
Is it time to reexamine the definition of marriage? It's not a radical concept. Even in the bible, Adam is a husband with one wife. David has hundreds of wives. Even Abraham, God's friend, has a wife and a "situation".
Is monogamy a reasonalble expectation? Should it be sanctioned by the gov't in the form of marriage? Most marriages end in divorce. What about term marriages? We contract to be married for a specified period of time then can renew our marital contract or walk away. Would it be beneficial to redefine marriage? Who can get married? What age, gender, how many people? If we're all consenting adults, why can't I marry two men? I wouldn't but if we all agree why not?
Is the traditional definition of marriage obsolete?

Quite interesting that you would bring this topic up because, I have always thought that marriage should have contractual limits for specified times. But of course it should be up the individuals. This is why I believe that premartial counseling is great. Like the other poster stated it should be an individual issue or better yet left to up the individuals in the relationship. I have been married about 20 years and believe me it certainly isn't easy. I do love my husband, there have been times when I just wanted to :bolt:, but in the end I always end up bouncing back for good reasons.

myshair
02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I never considered contracting marriage for a specified length of time. It might make folks more inclined to say well, I've only got this long before it ends anyway, let's see if we can at least make it to the end of the contract.

locknlearn
02-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Marriage should be defined by the individuals. A number of my married friends have issues that might be resolved through a 'term' marriage. I would venture to say that 7 of my married girlfriends have or have had 'situations'. Two couples in my circle frequent sex clubs.

I do believe that couples should be OPEN and HONEST about their expectations for the marriage. Marriage is not easy!!!! (by no means). I married my best friend (high school and college). I know him better than anybody. But, there are still plenty of days that I look at him and say "Who are you?". And when we started dating, there were plenty of times that I wanted to walk away (and thought better of it). I know a 'term' marriage would never work for my husband and me.