PDA

View Full Version : have black Americans really survived?

desanna
02-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I had a discussion in class with my teacher. I go to University of Maryland, and they have these posters up EVERYWHERE, that says our school is the leading top 20 university with the highest % of African American students attending and graduating.

My teacher asked my class (about 35 students all black) to raise their hands if all four of their grandparents where born in this country. And only two girls raised thier hands. Who were from the south. Every one else had a parent/grandparent , from Africa, or west Indies or some place else.

At Harvard they did a study and like only 2% of the black population had all four grandparents born in America.

SO my Question is, DID black Americans really survive the hard ships of slavery, jim crow violence and lynchings?

Did the mass immigration of Africans and West indians keep the Black American population afloat?

Just curious to know what you all think.

tjolims
02-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Maybe this would work better as a poll...I don't know how to answer the question in its present incarnation.

desanna
02-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I guess, just want to know, what you all think about this, if it is true or false. Or how many of you on hear have all four of your grandparents born in this country- are direct decendants of slaves. There is no wrong or right answer, just wondering.

ScoobyGurl
02-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Actually all of my grandparents were from the US.

myshair
02-10-2005, 08:33 PM
All four of my grand parents born here and I can trace the beginnings of my family to before the civil war.

Sacral
02-10-2005, 08:39 PM
I think if you asked this question at a Southern University or college, the majority of the Black students would even affirm to both great, and great-great grandparents, and even 3x or 4x great......like mine.

I think this is a regional question. Plus the question is being asked of Black college students, and we don't all make it to attend college (and we should).

- Sacral

sunsweet
02-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Are you sure about that data? That kind of surprises me. I'm from the midwest (Ohio), and I don't really know anyone whose parents/grandparents/great grandparents/ etc. weren't born here in America. I was trying to think of all of my black college friends, and I can't think of one with recent African decent...

Sacral
02-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm from the deep South, and everybody i grew up with and who surrounded my family have deep roots. Especially in Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, thee Pan-handle of Florida (call redneck riviera..before you get to Miami). Plus I have distant relatives in cities like Chicago, Detroit, LA, and upstate NY, because of the Great Migration, who journey regularly to the South to visit extended cousins, aunts and uncles, etc....

There are still many of us who are descendents of AFrican ancestors who were enslaved over here in North America hundreds of years ago. Many Black families are putting resources into funding such background research. Mine did, and we even contacted the descendents of the Slave owners. Half of the now-very-small White family wouldn't give up info and claimed they didn't have any records. But the other half (maybe out of guilt or the goodness of their hearts....... :dunno: ) handed over kept slave records from over two-hundred years ago ( :shocker: ). The slave records are not all that accurate, though. Many were falsified for insurance purposes, or just plain lazily kept .

You wouldn&#39;t believe how many White families in the South have such records, and refuse to give them up or even try to destroy them when the descendents of Africans, that their White forefathers and foremothers enslaved, start showing up asking for them. We just want to find out about our ancestors over here before we start heading over to AFrica. The White folks are concerned about tarnishing their family image and name, and would rather pretend it, or "Tradition" as we say in the South, didn&#39;t happen. :Angry_boese008: Thank goodness for those one or two in the family that crumble and give in to guilt <_<

Next is the DNA test: African Ancestry - DNA Test (http://www.africanancestry.com/databasemain.html)

Some of us are gonna do it and present the findings at the next Family Reunion. To see if the Slave Records of Purchase are correct. :afro:

But yeah, we exist in sizable numbers :)

- Sacral

ScoobyGurl
02-10-2005, 11:21 PM
sacral has a point. I&#39;m from Philly but my maternal grandmother hailed from Virginia.

QueenLocks
02-11-2005, 01:26 AM
:pop: I&#39;m from the south, most of my people still in the south, All Grandparents were born here. On my father&#39;s side, during the mid 1800&#39;s two slaves were brought over here, and that started my father&#39;s mother side of his family.

desanna
02-11-2005, 01:51 AM
this is very interesting I hope more people reply.

I guess it does depend on location, I am close to D.C so it makes sense that the Black community would have more diversity, then maybe South Carolina.

I ony have one set of grandparents form this country, the other set is from the west Indies, my step father&#39;s family is from Liberia.

I saw a documenty on a elderly woman from South Carolina who was able to trace her roots back to west Africa by a song. She knew this song that her granmother taught her in a native language, The ethnomusicologist travled all through out west Africa to find anyone who knew this song. Eventually, they located a very old women in west Africa who knew the song and it was taught to her by her grandmother. It was a very good documentary.

anywho, keep em comin, cause I am really curious about my nappturality family&#39;s history

CurleeDST
02-11-2005, 02:38 AM
Only 1 set of my grandparents were born in America. The other set were born in Panama and only 3 grandparents are black, one is white.

MsCurly85
02-11-2005, 07:14 AM
thats so werid you bring that up.. b/c i have a parent.. and grandparents who weren&#39;t born in this country(dads side).. my mom was born in this country and ppl on my moms side.. and i was running down a list of ALL my friends and other black ppl i know.. and 9 out of 10 they have atleast a parent or grandparent from africa... or the islands... etc. Thats just from my experience

Thanks for this topic- its really making me think.. i would have never thought of this.. but its just so right.. i makes me really sad.. cuz it just really hits home.

CrazeeDCoil
02-11-2005, 11:58 AM
I hardly know anyone who whose grandparents weren&#39;t born here. Perhaps it is regional? Like there are more people from the East Coast whose ancestors on both sides were descendents of slaves... unless we factor how many of us have grandparents who were born here but were not black (i.e native american, white, asian, etc) That could also skew the poll.

I think you should definitely add a poll to this thread or something.

LBellatrix
02-13-2005, 02:57 PM
To answer your questions:

All four of my grandparents were born here.

DID black Americans really survive the hard ships of slavery, jim crow violence and lynchings? Did the mass immigration of Africans and West indians keep the Black American population afloat?

Maybe it&#39;s semantics, but technically any children born here of Africans and/or "West Indians" are Americans and therefore are part of the AA population.

I agree that this data is subject to region and university type. Even if that Harvard poll included non-blacks, you&#39;d probably get not too much larger of a number. People from all over the WORLD try to get into American colleges. Harvard being the (supposedly) best, a lot of folks work their azzes off to get in. Each time I&#39;ve visited my sister at Princeton I&#39;ve been struck by the large number of Asians walking around there.

There was an article in the NY Times a while back about black college populations consisting more and more of African and Caribbean immigrants. So if we want to talk about AAs not surviving anything, maybe we should be specific and talk about how many survive high school with a decent-enough GPA to get them into college.

desanna
02-14-2005, 01:27 AM
That highschool, and gpa point is a whole new post. I agree that it is a HUDGE concern, but I only asked my question out of curiosity. Not out of a lack of concern for our young sisters and brothers who can not graduate.

I know that the SAT has changed to include a writen portion. I had a hard enough time passing the old one, I cant imagine it now with new material.

meagan22
02-14-2005, 05:38 AM
all four of my grandparents were born & rased in the US
Maternal Gandmother- PA
Maternal Grandfather SC and PA
Paternal Grandmother- VA
Paternal Grandfather- VA

I find the results from that Haravrd study questionable and wonder if they used a convenience sample . . . . . . . . .

Free
02-18-2005, 06:02 AM
I&#39;m up late reading this post, and it&#39;s very interesting. I consider my ethnicity African American, born in Memphis, raised in D.C, TN and Florida. On my mom&#39;s side both grandparents are African American. On my father&#39;s side(never have seen or met him :( ) they are Ghanian. After nagging her to death for info, my mom said that my father&#39;s father was actually African American and his mother was African(I don&#39;t believe her! <_< She just wanted to shut me up). One of my names is Owusu, and didn&#39;t find this out until I was 10 years old(interesting again). It seems like some big *** secret because my family members are not offering up ANY info, not even grandma! :Angry_boese008:
But the East coast has many Black people from other countries so that could be one factor.

Sacral
02-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by meagan22@Feb 14 2005, 01:38 AM
all four of my grandparents were born & rased in the US
Maternal Gandmother- PA
Maternal Grandfather SC and PA
Paternal Grandmother- VA
Paternal Grandfather- VA

I find the results from that Haravrd study questionable and wonder if they used a convenience sample . . . . . . . . .

ITA :)

It is very much questionable. I want to see the specifics of the study, including the size and U.S. region of the sample( of us Black folks), statistical analysists used, and the general hypothesis of the entire study.

A, "Harvard Study", may mean an Asian undergrad&#39;s paper or even a 24yr old&#39;s Master&#39;s thesis student from India. Harvard don&#39;t mean &#39;&#39;ish to me in terms of MY culture and heritage. And I try to know what to look for, without a PhD in Afro-Am...or whatever......
Degrees are important. I just know that from being an Afro-Am Minor in undergrad at an HBCU...that I have at least a clue of what to continue to look, search, and strive for in terms of my own enslaved ancestors and blood-related decendants.

And definitely what to crutinize. Especially in terms of Ivy-league&#39;s like Harvard.

Please someone, do the research and prove me wrong. I&#39;m sure it&#39;s out there....I&#39;m just too irritated to search for myself. My own family is proof along with most of the Black folks in my Home town/City.

Plus they&#39;re talking about ME and my family (blood or village) and getting it wrong in this study. Such &#39;ish.

- Sacral

Ashe! Ogun.

All c-in
02-24-2005, 07:30 PM
I really don&#39;t know how to reply to this post... :icon_thinkerg: But, I guess we&#39;ve survived cuz&#39; we&#39;re still here but I can&#39;t help but feel like cows being led to theslaughter house :huh: .

Urbanite
02-25-2005, 06:08 AM
All four of my grandparents were born in the US. My great-great-great grandmother was alive when my mother was younger and was the daughter of a slave and her white master. She saw the tail end of slavery, Reconstruction, and a bit of the Civil Rights Movement. So yeah, we have some survivors in my family.

watercolorz
02-25-2005, 10:19 AM
If I answer, :huh: do I get extras helpings of reparations?

Not only were all 4 of my grandparents born here but I know for a fact all 8 of my great-grand parents were born here… :D So what do I win… something pretty? ^_^ ~W

curlyredbone
02-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by sacral@Feb 10 2005, 03:42 PM
I&#39;m from the deep South, and everybody i grew up with and who surrounded my family have deep roots. Especially in Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, thee Pan-handle of Florida (call redneck riviera..before you get to Miami). Plus I have distant relatives in cities like Chicago, Detroit, LA, and upstate NY, because of the Great Migration, who journey regularly to the South to visit extended cousins, aunts and uncles, etc....

There are still many of us who are descendents of AFrican ancestors who were enslaved over here in North America hundreds of years ago. Many Black families are putting resources into funding such background research. Mine did, and we even contacted the descendents of the Slave owners. Half of the now-very-small White family wouldn&#39;t give up info and claimed they didn&#39;t have any records. But the other half (maybe out of guilt or the goodness of their hearts....... :dunno: ) handed over kept slave records from over two-hundred years ago ( :shocker: ). The slave records are not all that accurate, though. Many were falsified for insurance purposes, or just plain lazily kept .

You wouldn&#39;t believe how many White families in the South have such records, and refuse to give them up or even try to destroy them when the descendents of Africans, that their White forefathers and foremothers enslaved, start showing up asking for them. We just want to find out about our ancestors over here before we start heading over to AFrica. The White folks are concerned about tarnishing their family image and name, and would rather pretend it, or "Tradition" as we say in the South, didn&#39;t happen. :Angry_boese008: Thank goodness for those one or two in the family that crumble and give in to guilt <_<

Next is the DNA test: African Ancestry - DNA Test (http://www.africanancestry.com/databasemain.html)

Some of us are gonna do it and present the findings at the next Family Reunion. To see if the Slave Records of Purchase are correct. :afro:

But yeah, we exist in sizable numbers :)

- Sacral

Thank you so much for the site that your provided just going to the site brought tears to my eyes. I am here at my office typing this with tears dropping on the key board. I have for so many years wonder what tribe I came from and what part of Africa.

lmabadgurl
02-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Maybe I didn&#39;t understand. Are we talking actual persons or society?