PDA

View Full Version : Psychological Damage

lifeAgift
02-12-2005, 03:11 AM
This is in no means and attempt to trivialize/minimize the attrocity of Female Genital Mutilation/Circumcision (FGM/C).

But my question is.

When you think back on your life before the journey to naturalness.

When it comes to permanently straightening our hair...Do you think the collective weight of the commercial messages, parental judgement and peer pressure has induced trauma or incited a psychological disorder of self loathing almost self hate individually or within the African American community, similiar to that of FGM/C?

Along the same lines...
DO you think the psychological implications where deliberately considered in the marketing of straighten products to African Americans.
(Just like the nicotine addiction factor was counted on in the marketing of cigerettes).

If you ever permed your daughters hair in the past did you feel guilt???

I'm usually online for the laughs but I thought I'd go a little deep tonight. Please go with me on this, reflect before you reply!

I'll share my response to my own questons later.

Thanks for participating :wub:

jomaye1
02-12-2005, 05:59 AM
When thinking of a response to your question, I found it hard to relate the two issues. But I then thought about what they both are here to accomplish; acceptance. If you live in a society accepting of these tortures, you become numb to the pain. Your reality becomes what you are conditioned to believe.Trying to fit in has opened the door to acceptable self hate to generations of black folk worldwide.

We have been told we are ugly without straight hair. We (the black community) have accepted it. Think about all the odd looks you've gotten from your own people. Because of this belief, we have empowered the makers of relaxers and other hair altering products.

I don't believe relaxers were created to keep us bound, it was just a fillable market. We had been straightening our hair for years before that.

How can a woman hate herself for having her body intact (no fgm)? When she has been groomed her whole life for marrying and having a family, and no man will marry her in her village because of it.

So it is all relative after all in that repsect. Interesting topic!

Peaches
02-12-2005, 06:13 AM
I find it hard to compare the two. You can grow back hair that's been cut. A clitoris can't be grown back.

There's a difference between telling somebody "your nappy head is ugly" and telling them "you don't deserve physical pleasure because your chosen husband needs to control your desire to cheat on him, therefore we will mutilate you permanantly without your consent and do irreparable damage to your genitalia".

There is really no comparison with regard to psychological damage. Out of respect for the crime victims/abuse survivors, I won't even attempt to compare the two.

NaTural_High
02-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Feb 12 2005, 07:13 AM
I find it hard to compare the two. You can grow back hair that's been cut. A clitoris can't be grown back.

There's a difference between telling somebody "your nappy head is ugly" and telling them "you don't deserve physical pleasure because your chosen husband needs to control your desire to cheat on him, therefore we will mutilate you permanantly without your consent and do irreparable damage to your genitalia".

There is really no comparison with regard to psychological damage. Out of respect for the crime victims/abuse survivors, I won't even attempt to compare the two.

Perfectly said Peaches..

ClassicBrown
02-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Peaches@Feb 12 2005, 02:13 AM

wow peaches. I think that sums up my thoughts, but in more precise words ^_^ . interesting topic though.