PDA

View Full Version : Black Greeks

nottyfreedom
02-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I know that there are "black greeks" on the boards. I am wondering what those of you who are greek and those of u black folks who arent have to say about the date auctions that occur in the black greek community. given the origins of hueman auctions....and the lack of information that black college students have about its actual history-it seems inappropriate for them to be held as a means of "fundraising" when there are sooooooo many alternatives for raising money. Especially when these black organizations are the major "black face" on campus. (no pun intended). im asking for a particular reason. do u think they should be overlooked and acknowledged as simple fundraisers or do u feel that there are underlying realities that are much deeper...

notty

CatSuga
02-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by nottyfreedom@Feb 12 2005, 11:54 AM
im asking for a particular reason. do u think they should be overlooked and acknowledged as simple fundraisers or do u feel that there are underlying realities that are much deeper...
notty

I really don't have an answer to that question. But would like to add that at my university (hell, just about every univ. in my state) every event that has something to do with black greeks the fliers are always sexual in content. :unsure:

nottyfreedom
02-12-2005, 06:33 PM
cat_suga. that is a good point. its true of my campus too. i will go as afar to say that the bg's around here hold forums on sex-ed, history, etc...a couple times a year...but its obviosly to fill some quota. im not saying that all bg's need to be completely academic and upright...but they do need to be completely cultural and black community minded or else we wouldnt need them! we could just join the white greeks (since thats "okay" now.

my brother whose a greek and i debated about this earlier. he said the auction is fine because its a fund raiser going towards a reputable charity. well who the hell cares?!
if the immediate impact is one that involves completely shunning history AND enforcing ignorance.

also-this post isn't meant to be offensive...just for us to reason together.

CurleeDST
02-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Actually I am not a Black Greek, but a member of a Greek-letter community service organization. Big difference.

Who made the determination that black college students lack information regarding the history of auctions?

I think they are no more than what they are advertised as being - fundraisers to support the organization's purpose, goals and initiatives as they relate to community service and scholarship. If anyone is offended by the events (which tend to be more sexual than anything) I would say do not attend and do not donate your money to it.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by nottyfreedom@Feb 12 2005, 01:54 PM
I know that there are "black greeks" on the boards. I am wondering what those of you who are greek and those of u black folks who arent have to say about the date auctions that occur in the black greek community. given the origins of hueman auctions....and the lack of information that black college students have about its actual history-it seems inappropriate for them to be held as a means of "fundraising" when there are sooooooo many alternatives for raising money. Especially when these black organizations are the major "black face" on campus. (no pun intended). im asking for a particular reason. do u think they should be overlooked and acknowledged as simple fundraisers or do u feel that there are underlying realities that are much deeper...
notty

CurleeDST
02-12-2005, 09:15 PM
That has been my experience as well with fraternities in particular and we as BGLOs need to do better and set better examples.

Originally posted by CatSuga@Feb 12 2005, 03:27 PM
I really don't have an answer to that question. But would like to add that at my university (hell, just about every univ. in my state) every event that has something to do with black greeks the fliers are always sexual in content. :unsure:

librarising
02-12-2005, 09:16 PM
The white Greeks at my school have the same types of auctions for their fraternities/sororities.

nottyfreedom
02-13-2005, 02:47 AM
Who made the determination that black college students lack information regarding the history of auctions?

-i have based on a series of questions asked to friends and peers. very intelligent people who are astute thinkers mathematically and linguistically. folks from the city, the burbs, the pj's....our black college students. many of us have no idea of anything that occured outside of our block.

if we were connected to our history-i would say hey its all good. but it aint all good.

notty

@libraraising...well that makes sense.

LadyCaramel
02-13-2005, 06:10 AM
I'm sorry but the white,latin, and other groups have these same auctions. I think it's just a way to have fun and raise money for a good cause.

zaysbaby
02-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I am a member of a Black Greek Letter Organization. As others have posted...."Black" organizations aren't the only ones having "Auctions."

CurleeDST
02-13-2005, 12:08 PM
It should probably be qualified that the black students you encountered (questioned/inquiried) generally do not have knowledge of the history of auctions. I do not see how someone speaking to a sample of individuals can make such a blanket statement.

Originally posted by nottyfreedom@Feb 12 2005, 11:47 PM

-i have based on a series of questions asked to friends and peers. very intelligent people who are astute thinkers mathematically and linguistically. folks from the city, the burbs, the pj's....our black college students. many of us have no idea of anything that occured outside of our block.

if we were connected to our history-i would say hey its all good. but it aint all good.

notty

@libraraising...well that makes sense.

LuvThosNaps
02-13-2005, 02:02 PM
At the school I attended, an organization is having a date auction, but it's being forced to call it something other than an auction. Apparently one of the Deans associates auctions with slavery. Though I don't make this association with date auctions, others might. I guess at the "Most Diverse University in the Nation," you can't afford to offend anyone.

subbrock
02-13-2005, 03:02 PM
in my opinion, sex sells. thats the bottome line.

im definetly not a champion for any social greek organization because i think its really a travesty that theyve turned into what they have turned into...but thats a whole different topic.

black greeks, white greeks, purple greeks, all know that sex sells. so i think thats what theyre main goal is. of course slave masters realized that sex sells too.... :2cents:

nottyfreedom
02-13-2005, 03:57 PM
its not about a blanket statement. im speaking on behalf of the college students i know and observe. im speaking on behalf of public education and what i know it doesnt teach us...if you dont pick up a book on ur own time...for most of us...you wont know.

Sister1
02-13-2005, 04:08 PM
Gee, I wonder what the reactions would be if organzations, Greek and non-Greek held "death camp" auctions to raise money. Believe you me, that metaphor for "raising money and having fun" would be shut down immediately or told in no uncertain terms to change the name. Just over a hundred years ago our people were literally sold in auctions. He who controls the language controls the thought pattern. How soon we forget in the name of having "fun".

LuvThosNaps
02-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Sister1@Feb 13 2005, 12:08 PM
Gee, I wonder what the reactions would be if organzations, Greek and non-Greek held "death camp" auctions to raise money. Believe you me, that metaphor for "raising money and having fun" would be shut down immediately or told in no uncertain terms to change the name. Just over a hundred years ago our people were literally sold in auctions. He who controls the language controls the thought pattern. How soon we forget in the name of having "fun".

So you don't see the difference do you. Now the word "Auction" has a qualifying noun that specifies what the auction's purpose is.

Auto Auction, Art Auction, Antique Auction, Date Auction, Forclosure Auction, Slave Auction, and your signature creation... the Death Camp Auction, among many other types of auctions.

Oh the horror of the thought that my car was sold into slavery and I'm it's master, let me go outside and whip it round the block right now. I leave it outside in the cold, I feed it only when I feel like or it really needs it, and I'm only concerned with it's disheveled appearance when I'm going on dates.

Auction is a word that is used in everyday language. It's a public sale of something to the highest bidder. It doesn't imply anything else but that. Until someone is dragged out in a loincloth wearing chains and shackles, I'll have no problems with them.

subbrock
02-13-2005, 08:00 PM
nottyfreedom-

i do agree and see your initial point as being valid. and i think alot of it also has to deal with blacks always being in some sort of auction. alot of us feel that we are constantly selling ourselves. trying to be the sexiest, the flyest, trying to sell yourself as intelligent and capable and trying to overthrow invalid stereotypes.

should they have date "auctions"? eh...probably not. why not do something more honorable like create a 3k walk/run? lots of questions but there arent as many answers.

CurleeDST
02-13-2005, 09:12 PM
Honestly, as the former chair of my graduate chapter's fundraising committee it really isn't as deep as some of you want to make it. There are many avenues we members of BGLOs choose to use to raise money including scholarship dances, boat rides as well as walks and short-distance runs to help raise money and give to a worthy cause.

For those of you who believe that ALL BGLOs do are events surrounded around being OWT, setting it OWT and social events probably are not members of the Divine 9, have limited exposure to the organization and choose to allow the few questionable events overshadow the many more being done for the greater good.

One post on here said it "the organizations on your campus do hold seminars but they are probably only doing it to fill a quota". This inability to give credit when an organization is doing what it was put here to do indicates to me this lack of true knowledge of our history, tenets and commitment to the community.

And anyone truly concerned about serving the community will make it part of their personal responsibility (whether in a formal organization or on your own) to serve the community by giving where there is a need (Alzheimer's walks, breast cancer walks, Food and Friends, Hands On Atlanta, Project Openhand and plethora of others).

So while many are on here lending a critical eye to what BGLOs are doing (and yes, we are not perfect and need to improve what we put out there as far as quality events as there are always room for improvement), my question is what are YOU doing outside of spending precious time playing with semantics? If there were a true concern, are you campaigning to educate people or do you (using as a general term, not specifying anyone in particular) just sit back and continue to let what you see as a problem increase?

Remember, while there is 1 finger pointing to someone else, there are at least 3 pointing back at you. Don't talk about it be about it and if anyone needs information about any of the organizations I mentioned in this post, PM me and I can hook you up! They are worthwhile organizations and typically do not get as much volunteer support as needed. Mainly because the work needs to be done on Fridays but they are worthwhile causes that primarly serve the African American community.

Peace!

nicyvefra
02-13-2005, 09:39 PM
This is totally unrelated, but whenever I see the words "black greeks" I remember the words of one of my old friends. "There were no black greeks, just conquered people." It was definitely food for thought. Maybe in this particular circumstance and any others that should come along, maybe that phrase can spark some solutions.

CurleeDST
02-13-2005, 10:25 PM
I only know of black people born in Greece calling themselves Black Greeks.

Originally posted by nicyvefra@Feb 13 2005, 06:39 PM
This is totally unrelated, but whenever I see the words "black greeks" I remember the words of one of my old friends. "There were no black greeks, just conquered people." It was definitely food for thought. Maybe in this particular circumstance and any others that should come along, maybe that phrase can spark some solutions.

Sister1
02-14-2005, 12:26 AM
@Mr. Dean: I will ignore your sarcasm. In principle I do agree with what you say. IMO, though, if folks had a "death camp aution" to raise money, awareness, or cop dates for a cause there would be a hue and cry. When one "auctions" people for fun or a cause that isn't too cool for my taste. Kind of like raising money and people are "arrested and put in jail". Nothing cool about that. But that's me. Later.

nottyfreedom
02-14-2005, 02:03 AM
Sis please understand that the work to properly educate is being done daily. that is why this topic was born..to get a broader understanding from others.

subbrock
02-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Feb 13 2005, 05:12 PM
Honestly, as the former chair of my graduate chapter's fundraising committee it really isn't as deep as some of you want to make it. There are many avenues we members of BGLOs choose to use to raise money including scholarship dances, boat rides as well as walks and short-distance runs to help raise money and give to a worthy cause.

For those of you who believe that ALL BGLOs do are events surrounded around being OWT, setting it OWT and social events probably are not members of the Divine 9, have limited exposure to the organization and choose to allow the few questionable events overshadow the many more being done for the greater good.

One post on here said it "the organizations on your campus do hold seminars but they are probably only doing it to fill a quota". This inability to give credit when an organization is doing what it was put here to do indicates to me this lack of true knowledge of our history, tenets and commitment to the community.

And anyone truly concerned about serving the community will make it part of their personal responsibility (whether in a formal organization or on your own) to serve the community by giving where there is a need (Alzheimer's walks, breast cancer walks, Food and Friends, Hands On Atlanta, Project Openhand and plethora of others).

So while many are on here lending a critical eye to what BGLOs are doing (and yes, we are not perfect and need to improve what we put out there as far as quality events as there are always room for improvement), my question is what are YOU doing outside of spending precious time playing with semantics? If there were a true concern, are you campaigning to educate people or do you (using as a general term, not specifying anyone in particular) just sit back and continue to let what you see as a problem increase?

Remember, while there is 1 finger pointing to someone else, there are at least 3 pointing back at you. Don't talk about it be about it and if anyone needs information about any of the organizations I mentioned in this post, PM me and I can hook you up! They are worthwhile organizations and typically do not get as much volunteer support as needed. Mainly because the work needs to be done on Fridays but they are worthwhile causes that primarly serve the African American community.

Peace!

i work with children, most of which come from terrible homes and backgrounds and i make sure that while they are in my care, that they know that they are loved and special. my sister has come up with the idea to start a black owned and operated newsletter and my mother and i are very instrumental in making this dream a reality. i also am planning on opening my own school and am researching severel things regarding that right now. but those are just some of the things i do while playing around with semantics, pointing fingers, and being a strong woman of color who doesnt need letters (greek or otherwise) to have meaning in my life! :)

sereni-T
02-14-2005, 12:38 PM
When I was an undergrad my chapter, as well as the other organizations, would have auctions every year as a fundraiser. Well the administration had a problem with the auctions because of the links to slavery. So we changed it up a little and called it "Jail and Bail". We would print up a bunch of fake money and you could get like $1000 for $1 and people would get charged with things like wearing weave too tight or their feet being too big. So instead of auctioning them off they would bail them out of our jail. People looooooved it!!! We made so much money off of that and we took the stigma of slavery away from it.

CurleeDST
02-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Very cute idea. FYI many of the auctions (which got way out of hand at FAMU) are popular with undergraduate chapters.

Many of us in graduate chapters use other means to raise money such as the list of items I posted earlier.

Very good adn innovative idea Zetaluv!

Originally posted by Zetaluv@Feb 14 2005, 09:38 AM
When I was an undergrad my chapter, as well as the other organizations, would have auctions every year as a fundraiser. Well the administration had a problem with the auctions because of the links to slavery. So we changed it up a little and called it "Jail and Bail". We would print up a bunch of fake money and you could get like $1000 for $1 and people would get charged with things like wearing weave too tight or their feet being too big. So instead of auctioning them off they would bail them out of our jail. People looooooved it!!! We made so much money off of that and we took the stigma of slavery away from it.

NaTural_High
02-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Z-Phi Zetaluv!

I am also a member of a greek lettered organization and it just bothers me when poeple are constantly having something to say about what we do. I see the whole link to slavery thing, but to me, it is a fundraiser. When we have educational seminars, walks, ect. no one shows up. But as soon as we throw up a party flyer with "food" or something like an auction, pageant, or something where the visual is greater than the educational everyone wants to show up..But they always have something to say about what we are not doing. We have mind, body, and soul seminars, cancer, aids awareness programs, business seminars, powerful speakers, blood drives, and all of the above and I can count on my hand how many people show up and that's with every organization on campus. My thing is, don't sit around and complain about what we do..Just show up if you want and support if you want. If you have any ideas feel free to share it. There's no crime in saying, "Hey I know this speaker who's really knowledgeable on business ethics." or even, "I think that it would be fun to come up with educational questions and have a game show for a fund raiser. I know a lot of people on the debate team." So how about lending a helping hand and ideas before you hate on "black greeks." And if you don't agree with greeks at all, form your own organization.

CurleeDST
02-14-2005, 05:02 PM
My other post didn't go through unfortunately but I agree with everything you are saying Natural High!

BGLOs host a plethora of informative seminars and events but those tend to be the lowest attended. We tend to get higher attendance to the more "fun" events such as Step Shows, Mardis Gras, and Parties. And the social and "fun" events are hosted at a fraction of the time as a more socially conscious events but people tend to only see the "fun" things we do such as stepping, party walking and calling out with our organization's call and sign.

We are about sooo much more. I can only speak for Delta, we are a business and we pride ourselves on giving back to the community any way possible. We are a sisterhood and community service organization. We are not a social club.

Maybe we need to do better about advertising our other events, or maybe folks need to stick by what they say they are and support something other than our social events.

Either way, I have issues with the dating auctions, but not for the reasons the topic initiator states here. It is all about intent to me.

Peace.

Originally posted by NaTural_High@Feb 14 2005, 01:12 PM
Z-Phi Zetaluv!

I am also a member of a greek lettered organization and it just bothers me when poeple are constantly having something to say about what we do. I see the whole link to slavery thing, but to me, it is a fundraiser. When we have educational seminars, walks, ect. no one shows up. But as soon as we throw up a party flyer with "food" or something like an auction, pageant, or something where the visual is greater than the educational everyone wants to show up..But they always have something to say about what we are not doing. We have mind, body, and soul seminars, cancer, aids awareness programs, business seminars, powerful speakers, blood drives, and all of the above and I can count on my hand how many people show up and that's with every organization on campus. My thing is, don't sit around and complain about what we do..Just show up if you want and support if you want. If you have any ideas feel free to share it. There's no crime in saying, "Hey I know this speaker who's really knowledgeable on business ethics." or even, "I think that it would be fun to come up with educational questions and have a game show for a fund raiser. I know a lot of people on the debate team." So how about lending a helping hand and ideas before you hate on "black greeks." And if you don't agree with greeks at all, form your own organization.

nottyfreedom
02-14-2005, 09:41 PM
i've been in school for three years. i have never supported a "fun" event that any of the greeks have put on. I have attended nearly all of the educational events where time allowed. i have worked along with the iotas to have regular open mics which were wonderously successful and even led other greeks to suddenly hold open mics. i have love for bglo's and do not see how starting a new org as you've suggested would be a solution being that its how the divine nine came into being...it would just be another sect for a certain group to claim. i do not see the collective fruits in that.

the idea about the jail and bail is dope. i would love to see our greeks do something like that. i mean for one tha auction lacks so much in originality-aside from my issues with its relationship to slavery and the commodification of human beings.

Natural High-correct me if im wrong but i always thought that the greeks were there for the community....so expect the community to have something to say.

you're right people dont go to the forums...but that doesnt mean have three parties a month and two forums a year. that means find ways to host forums that will cause peoples interest to grow. recognize that there are women being gang/date raped at your parties and provide for them. Our greek orgs (in terms of undergrad appearance) have come a long way from their beginnings and that is hurting the black college student.

notty

Taqwa
02-14-2005, 09:56 PM
You know back in the day (cough cough) the same thing use to happen to non Greek organizations. The silly, no-brainer activities would be packed, but the more necessary activities, seats would go un used.

Have you thought about incorporating the two together? For instance for the price of admission, you have to bring in 4 canned goods?

Or have a walk a thon but only the top 150 walkers get invites to a party with food?

Or ask the local skating rink to sponsor a 70's night and allow your group to charge say $7.77 to get in BUT only if you are in costume, anyone else pays $19.77 to get in.

Just a few ideas..

CurleeDST
02-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Notty you have some valid points. I know our organization has hosted HIV/AIDS presentations at the local popular mall to increase attendance and the program's visibility. We were able to reach those individuals out shopping and chilling on Saturday at the mall and it was very successful. A lot of information packets were handed out and our guest speaker had a captivated audience.

And the point about gang rape and disrespecting of women is the MAIN reason why I do not suggest or support Greek auctions. In my experience it promotes debauchery and I do not want our organization associated with anything like that.

We advise our local undergraduate chapter and Natural High had some very good ideas.

Originally posted by nottyfreedom@Feb 14 2005, 06:41 PM
i've been in school for three years. i have never supported a "fun" event that any of the greeks have put on. I have attended nearly all of the educational events where time allowed. i have worked along with the iotas to have regular open mics which were wonderously successful and even led other greeks to suddenly hold open mics. i have love for bglo's and do not see how starting a new org as you've suggested would be a solution being that its how the divine nine came into being...it would just be another sect for a certain group to claim. i do not see the collective fruits in that.

the idea about the jail and bail is dope. i would love to see our greeks do something like that. i mean for one tha auction lacks so much in originality-aside from my issues with its relationship to slavery and the commodification of human beings.

Natural High-correct me if im wrong but i always thought that the greeks were there for the community....so expect the community to have something to say.

you're right people dont go to the forums...but that doesnt mean have three parties a month and two forums a year. that means find ways to host forums that will cause peoples interest to grow. recognize that there are women being gang/date raped at your parties and provide for them. Our greek orgs (in terms of undergrad appearance) have come a long way from their beginnings and that is hurting the black college student.

notty

NaTural_High
02-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by nottyfreedom@Feb 14 2005, 10:41 PM

notty

Okay...I don't know where you got that i don't expect people to say things, that's why in my first post, I said it's not a crime to voice your opinions or ideas..Read what I said..And for the record, I don't have a problem with the community saying anything; I embrace opinions because I will take anything that will uplift my organization as well as my people. Now as far as all the parties, my chapter doesn't run like that. We have a party a semester and the rest are other activities. We are required to have security and we have to take shifts monitoring our parties, so we've never had that problem with people getting raped @ our events. Now what happens after the party is out of our hands. You seem to have some type of vandetta against BGLO's..Could it be that you tried to join an organization and didn't get picked and have bad blood about it? Not trying to be rude or anything. But a lot of times people in this type of situation usually have negative things to say about greeks after they are rejected. Why all the negativity?

NaTural_High
02-14-2005, 11:05 PM
I just thought of something..Instead of people making this thread a personal attack on others and pointing out the bad things they think BGLO's are doing, why don't we use this thread as a way to cast our ideas of new activities. Maybe greeks will come here and find this thread to be a pool of positivity and use it to implement new things for their campus. Many non-greeks feel that thier opinion doesn't matter when in fact it does. I graduated in 2003 and I'm about to join a grad chapter and I will surely take in consideration what people in my community have to say, because they are the people who will be supporting our events. Campus is more of the focus for undergrad and positive ideas are greatly appreciated.

nottyfreedom
02-15-2005, 11:20 PM
peace natural high.

this thread was started with the VERY intention of building. i posted a response yesterday-but apparently it didnt go through.

to answer one of your questions i have never wanted to nor have i ever attempted to pledge. i have always supported bglo's cause i believe that each one of them are ours. they belong to us and it is our duty to work cooperatively to preserve all that is ours. ESPECIALLY when attending PWI's as opposed to HBCU's.
its just like when you have a cousin-and you see him/her walking through your neighborhood in a plka dot sweater with striped pants. you gonna say "Yo, cuz whats up with them threads" (lol-ok so u might not say it like that)-but the point is that family keeps family in check. or at least we try. i feel the problem arises when the family ''sects off'' and forgets how broad the actual family is.

i have a gained a wealth of understanding from some of the sistas here concerning event planning and the "business". Taqwa and curleeDST i feel what ya'll are saying.

peace

nicyvefra
02-16-2005, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Feb 13 2005, 05:25 PM
I only know of black people born in Greece calling themselves Black Greeks.

I'm late I know. But I can answer now.

That would make them a Greek citizen of African descent. This is why the existence of race sucks, it just gets so long and drawn out and unnecessarily complicated. Bleh! So sure, they're black Greeks, but that really has nothing to do with Greek letter organizations, which are often termed "Black Greeks."

CurleeDST
02-16-2005, 12:47 PM
I tend to allow people to define themselves and I personally know 2 people who are black who were born and raised in Greece and they identify with Black Greeks.

I do not think they would appreciate anyone white or black attempting to define them.

Originally posted by nicyvefra@Feb 16 2005, 02:56 AM
I'm late I know. But I can answer now.

That would make them a Greek citizen of African descent. This is why the existence of race sucks, it just gets so long and drawn out and unnecessarily complicated. Bleh! So sure, they're black Greeks, but that really has nothing to do with Greek letter organizations, which are often termed "Black Greeks."

nicyvefra
02-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Feb 16 2005, 07:47 AM
I tend to allow people to define themselves and I personally know 2 people who are black who were born and raised in Greece and they identify with Black Greeks.

I do not think they would appreciate anyone white or black attempting to define them.

I could have sworn this was about greek letter organizations, but I guess I was mistaken. I'm clearly defining people that I've never met (as what, I don't really know seeing how I was talking about something that had nothing to do with them). :doh

I'll never understand how some people make a point of making a point out of nothing. I'm over this topic. Comment away.

nottyfreedom
02-17-2005, 02:44 AM
lol.

Siennasilk
02-17-2005, 04:59 AM
If black greeks are such good organizations for black college students, then why do they have to be "chosen" or "picked"? I dated a black greek in college who wanted me to pledge, but I swear all I witnessed them doing were throwing the wildest parties, drinking, hazing, or having sex. I didn't want any part of that mess where young college girls being date raped, gangbanged, and such was normal behaviour... I researched and couldn't find one positive reason to pledge. Maybe I was just exposed to the ones giving "black greeks" a bad name, but oh well...

If you're doing something positive for your community, then keep on doing it. But if you know good and well there's nothing positive going on, then stop lying to yourself.

As for the date auction, that shouldn't be as much of a concern as bringing back the original purpose for black greek organizations.

NLight1
02-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by subbrock@Feb 13 2005, 09:25 PM
i work with children, most of which come from terrible homes and backgrounds and i make sure that while they are in my care, that they know that they are loved and special. my sister has come up with the idea to start a black owned and operated newsletter and my mother and i are very instrumental in making this dream a reality. i also am planning on opening my own school and am researching severel things regarding that right now. but those are just some of the things i do while playing around with semantics, pointing fingers, and being a strong woman of color who doesnt need letters (greek or otherwise) to have meaning in my life! :)

I love your post sis :P Like you, I am doing many things in the community and doing what I can to make a difference in this world. No letters are needed to do so. :)

f you're doing something positive for your community, then keep on doing it. But if you know good and well there's nothing positive going on, then stop lying to yourself.
Excellent point and much of what you described in your post goes on at most colleges. In fact, when I was an undergrad, I used to road trip a lot and at every school I visited north, south, east, west - pretty much what you described was the norm
swear all I witnessed them doing were throwing the wildest parties, drinking, hazing, or having sex.
But Im sure it's all about community service ^_^

CurleeDST
02-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Sienna - sorry to hear that is your experience. Mine has been mainly positive as I meet with, work with and converse with my sorors and frat on a daily basis.

Peace be unto you!

Originally posted by Siennasilk@Feb 17 2005, 01:59 AM
If black greeks are such good organizations for black college students, then why do they have to be "chosen" or "picked"? I dated a black greek in college who wanted me to pledge, but I swear all I witnessed them doing were throwing the wildest parties, drinking, hazing, or having sex. I didn't want any part of that mess where young college girls being date raped, gangbanged, and such was normal behaviour... I researched and couldn't find one positive reason to pledge. Maybe I was just exposed to the ones giving "black greeks" a bad name, but oh well...

If you're doing something positive for your community, then keep on doing it. But if you know good and well there's nothing positive going on, then stop lying to yourself.

As for the date auction, that shouldn't be as much of a concern as bringing back the original purpose for black greek organizations.

CurleeDST
02-17-2005, 11:28 AM
It is about BGLOs but you attempted to define what blacks who were born and raised in Greece sh/ be called so I shared my experience with you.

...back on topic.

God bless!

Originally posted by nicyvefra@Feb 16 2005, 06:15 PM
I could have sworn this was about greek letter organizations, but I guess I was mistaken. I'm clearly defining people that I've never met (as what, I don't really know seeing how I was talking about something that had nothing to do with them). :doh

I'll never understand how some people make a point of making a point out of nothing. I'm over this topic. Comment away.

CurleeDST
02-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Stop talking about it and be about it. With the posts here I presume it is fair to assume everyone is volunteering their time, knowledge and skills to contribute to the betterment of our communities.

If not, I listed some worthwhile organizations earlier in this post who NEED volunteers hit me up for more information! And as posted, you do not need greek letters to volunteer, that is not a requirement. You do need commitment because they need your assistance more than once or twice a year.

And pledging and joining a BGLO is NOT for everyone. Sisterhood is first, then service and scholarship. If that isn't for you or you choose to give in other worthwhile organizations....cool - we need workers not naysayers, doubters or complainers with no plan.

And remember, continue stroking with a broad brush you will evenutally get paint on yourself. In other words, think twice before generalizing because it is very very very and too easy to do and you eventually start getting a scrutinizing eye in your direction to pull apart and expose your shortcomings. Better to preface such a statement with "in my experience, etc.".

But I tend to agree with Natural....and her assessment of why there seems to be some animosity towards BGLOs. Again, if it isn't for you...keep it moving. As my pastor says, if you are going to leave...then leave quietly. LOL

Originally posted by NLight1@Feb 17 2005, 04:37 AM
I love your post sis :P Like you, I am doing many things in the community and doing what I can to make a difference in this world. No letters are needed to do so. :)

Excellent point and much of what you described in your post goes on at most colleges. In fact, when I was an undergrad, I used to road trip a lot and at every school I visited north, south, east, west - pretty much what you described was the norm
But Im sure it's all about community service ^_^

NaTural_High
02-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Feb 17 2005, 12:35 PM
Stop talking about it and be about it. With the posts here I presume it is fair to assume everyone is volunteering their time, knowledge and skills to contribute to the betterment of our communities.

If not, I listed some worthwhile organizations earlier in this post who NEED volunteers hit me up for more information! And as posted, you do not need greek letters to volunteer, that is not a requirement. You do need commitment because they need your assistance more than once or twice a year.

And pledging and joining a BGLO is NOT for everyone. Sisterhood is first, then service and scholarship. If that isn't for you or you choose to give in other worthwhile organizations....cool - we need workers not naysayers, doubters or complainers with no plan.

And remember, continue stroking with a broad brush you will evenutally get paint on yourself. In other words, think twice before generalizing because it is very very very and too easy to do and you eventually start getting a scrutinizing eye in your direction to pull apart and expose your shortcomings. Better to preface such a statement with "in my experience, etc.".

But I tend to agree with Natural....and her assessment of why there seems to be some animosity towards BGLOs. Again, if it isn't for you...keep it moving. As my pastor says, if you are going to leave...then leave quietly. LOL

Nicely said DST.. :smil3f72836ee752e:

black_berry
02-17-2005, 02:36 PM
CurleeDST what sorority are you in? I'm in KKPsi. (yes i'm a girl) At my school the black and the white frats and sororities do it. I don't think it is anything other that what it is meant to be, a fundraiser.

NLight1
02-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Feb 17 2005, 06:35 AM

Well since you had my post in your post, I will respond with I agree and that is why I expressed to the other sista that what she mentioned, had been my experience as well. I have no animosity towards greeks, my father (RIP) was a Kappa, 10 of my aunts are Deltas, and many of my friends are in sororities or fraternities; not to mention, there are far more pressing issues (for me) in Life to be concerned with. It is also from their own mouths that I hear the horror stories so everything I speak of, is based on what I see and what I've heard. Whose other experiences would I be basing it on :dunno: And telling others who are not in these organizations just to basically "be quiet" isn't neccessary. Last time I checked this was an open forum and people can expressed opinions based on their experiences, even if it differs from your opinion or experiences, it isn't any less valid or important. As easily as you (general) can poke your chest out and be proud of being "greek," those who are not in these orgnazations can speak as they chose and be proud of just being who they are. I don't understand where all the defensiveness is coming from, unless you (general) are engaging in the behaviors described. Someone posted this topic and people are responding, if the opinion stated isn't something you agree with, don't assume it is because people "are mad at greeks," "secretly want to be greek." Not that deep, for me anyway :)

Melanizm
02-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by NLight1@Feb 17 2005, 08:00 PM
Well since you had my post in your post, I will respond with I agree and that is why I expressed to the other sista that what she mentioned, had been my experience as well. I have no animosity towards greeks, my father (RIP) was a Kappa, 10 of my aunts are Deltas, and many of my friends are in sororities or fraternities; not to mention, there are far more pressing issues (for me) in Life to be concerned with. It is also from their own mouths that I hear the horror stories so everything I speak of, is based on what I see and what I've heard. Whose other experiences would I be basing it on :dunno: And telling others who are not in these organizations just to basically "be quiet" isn't neccessary. Last time I checked this was an open forum and people can expressed opinions based on their experiences, even if it differs from your opinion or experiences, it isn't any less valid or important. As easily as you (general) can poke your chest out and be proud of being "greek," those who are not in these orgnazations can speak as they chose and be proud of just being who they are. I don't understand where all the defensiveness is coming from, unless you (general) are engaging in the behaviors described. Someone posted this topic and people are responding, if the opinion stated isn't something you agree with, don't assume it is because people "are mad at greeks," "secretly want to be greek." Not that deep, for me anyway :)

ITA with this...the defensiveness about this topic is always interesting to me. Like no one can say anything about BGLOs unless it's positive :dunno: and if we do it's because we "weren't picked"... :lol: i guess people can't simply disagree with the history or the current state of it all.

lsubabiedee
02-18-2005, 12:00 AM
I do see the point that notty is making, and although I would never have related date auctions with the slave auctions, I can see how it might be offensive or disturbing to people...not b/c its an auction, but b/c its an auction of people

Something I've noticed in this thread is everything having to be either or...I am not a member of a BGLO, but I know from my own personal experiences and from the stories of close friends that are members, that everything is not fine and dandy...I think some of you are getting defensive when someone mentions a negative experience they have had concerning BGLO's...Although you may be a part of the organization, you cannot know all that goes on in every chapter in the world...

But hey, I totally understand why you would want to defend ur organization b/c BGLO's do get a lot of bad press...well all Greek-letter org's do...

I say keep doing good works...no matter if ur Greek or not

CurleeDST
02-18-2005, 02:15 AM
It's all good. And btw I do not advertise being a Delta (I do not wear 'nalia, do not don it on my car or in jewelry I wear) other than my internet screen names. No need to gloat...I do what I do and serve my community as best I know how.

Originally posted by NLight1@Feb 17 2005, 04:00 PM

CurleeDST
02-18-2005, 02:16 AM
I think we BGLOs have a lot of work to do to improve our reputation but there are also many chapters who are productive and very active and working to improve our communities on a daily basis because we committed to it when we pledged, not just when we are in college but for life.

Originally posted by lsubabiedee@Feb 17 2005, 09:00 PM
I do see the point that notty is making, and although I would never have related date auctions with the slave auctions, I can see how it might be offensive or disturbing to people...not b/c its an auction, but b/c its an auction of people

Something I've noticed in this thread is everything having to be either or...I am not a member of a BGLO, but I know from my own personal experiences and from the stories of close friends that are members, that everything is not fine and dandy...I think some of you are getting defensive when someone mentions a negative experience they have had concerning BGLO's...Although you may be a part of the organization, you cannot know all that goes on in every chapter in the world...

But hey, I totally understand why you would want to defend ur organization b/c BGLO's do get a lot of bad press...well all Greek-letter org's do...

I say keep doing good works...no matter if ur Greek or not

CurleeDST
02-18-2005, 02:21 AM
You have to admit, attempting to understand the acidity of the negativity leads one to automatically consider that someone is bitter because they could not be a part of it because those of you not in it presume you know more about it than you really do. Meeting one of our founders and being pledged by her granddauther, speaking to them directly and then hearing what some of you think you know are worlds apart.

I learned once I pledged you do have to be in it to fully understand. Do some people take advantage? Yes, are some people not living up to their commitment? Of course, but you do not throw away the baby with the bathwater. A few do not ruin the entire barrel.

BGLOs are not the only solution but AGAIN I ask, what is anyone else doing other than fingerpointing? You can attempt to criticize BMAC but we WORK! So black folks need to decide, are you going to work to support an organization attempting to support our community or are you gonna stand on the sidelines? Again, we need workers not naysayers.

And yup I get defensive when people who really have no clue attack my sorors and sisterhood. I love my DST because we love our community.

S
Originally posted by Melanizm@Feb 17 2005, 08:25 PM
ITA with this...the defensiveness about this topic is always interesting to me. Like no one can say anything about BGLOs unless it's positive :dunno: and if we do it's because we "weren't picked"... :lol: i guess people can't simply disagree with the history or the current state of it all.

Melanizm
02-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by CurleeDST@Feb 18 2005, 03:21 AM
You have to admit, attempting to understand the acidity of the negativity leads one to automatically consider that someone is bitter because they could not be a part of it because those of you not in it presume you know more about it than you really do. Meeting one of our founders and being pledged by her granddauther, speaking to them directly and then hearing what some of you think you know are worlds apart.

I learned once I pledged you do have to be in it to fully understand. Do some people take advantage? Yes, are some people not living up to their commitment? Of course, but you do not throw away the baby with the bathwater. A few do not ruin the entire barrel.

BGLOs are not the only solution but AGAIN I ask, what is anyone else doing other than fingerpointing? You can attempt to criticize BMAC but we WORK! So black folks need to decide, are you going to work to support an organization attempting to support our community or are you gonna stand on the sidelines? Again, we need workers not naysayers.

And yup I get defensive when people who really have no clue attack my sorors and sisterhood. I love my DST because we love our community.

S

you're response is exactly what i'm talking about. :dunno: but i refuse to try and talk about it to people who can't get past their defensiveness.

nottyfreedom
02-18-2005, 05:39 PM
melanizm...i hear ya.

NaTural_High
02-18-2005, 06:02 PM
:smil3f9cf95099cff: Hey Melanizm, I went to that meet your meat site on your links and I'm officially grossed out! Um yeah, I might just consider not eating meat again..It'll be a looonng process though..I surely met my meat today..ewwwwwwww :wacko:

CurleeDST
02-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Melanizm that is fair. Peace everyone.