PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Specialty?

vinny_46
02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
What are some of your signature dishes that you can cook with perfection??

For me, it's chili. :P

Cami213
02-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Cakes, Pies, Mexican, Italian and Soul Food.

Something I would like to cook perfectly is soups and stews.

charise
02-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Chicken Noodle soup with Egg noodles (I swear this stuff is the cure for the common cold ^_^ ). My friends/family request this so I make a vat of this thick and creamy soup and dole it out... :lol:

Grilled Chicken Panini Sandwiches--fast and soooo delicious.

Summer squash caserole...

skn
02-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Are we talking about cooking? I am SO there. :D

I can roast a chicken that would make your momma CRY!

Chicken thighs in cilantro wine sauce. (sounds difficult, but so easy)

Chocolate cheese cake

Chilli

Buffalo wings (authentic)

Mac and cheese (from scratch -- the way it should be)

:)

vinny_46
02-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by charise@Feb 19 2005, 11:14 PM

Chicken Noodle soup with Egg noodles

soup is something I've never been able to make well. :icon_headshake: It always turns out watery.

sunnedelight
02-20-2005, 11:15 PM
I can make a mean Lean Cuisine frozen dinner!!

:pointlaugh:

OK, seriously, I do baked BBQ chicken well, homemade mac&cheese, chili, jagicida....there are a lot of things my family loves that I make. Sometimes when I try something new, it goes over well, sometimes, not so well, lol. :dunno:

charise
02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Feb 20 2005, 06:10 PM
soup is something I've never been able to make well. :icon_headshake: It always turns out watery.

Here's an easy trick to remedy this...

add a can of condensed soup to your stock, either cream of chicken, or cream of mushroom...It makes all the difference in the world...

You could go the old fashion way and add a thickener such as flour...But who wants to do that (unless you know how to add it without getting lumps...)....

vinny_46
02-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks! :2cents:

EarthyDiva
02-22-2005, 03:57 AM
Meatloaf
Mac N Cheese
Coconut Red Beans and Rice
Salmon Patties
Griot (Haitian pork dish)
Cheesecakes

According to my dh :wub: these are my specialities

ED

bluvember
02-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Enchiladas (beef, chicken, or meatless)
Mexican lasagna (recipie in Veggie lasagna thread)
Chicken salad
Dirty Rice

vinny_46
02-23-2005, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by EarthyDiva@Feb 21 2005, 08:57 PM

Salmon Patties

Ooh, haven't had that in a long time.

I make good tuna fish sandwiches. :lol: (my secret: sugar)

bluvember
02-23-2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Feb 22 2005, 08:54 PM

I make good tuna fish sandwiches. :lol: (my secret: sugar)

Try some honey, ;) that's what I put in my chicken salad. Learned that tip from working in a deli.

brwndot
02-25-2005, 01:34 AM
I make great chicken noodle soup, completely from scratch. The kind my mother used to make when I was sick... :wub:

flybutter
02-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Cheesecakes (almost any type of dessert)

Chicken noodle soup

Mac and cheese

Rolls and biscuits

One co-worker laughed when she asked me to make choc chip cookies for a bake sale. They thought it was funny that I make everything from scratch and for years thought everybody and they momma did too!

tjolims
02-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I can stir a mean fry...I can make a delicious stir-fry in my sleep, I've been making them for so long. Add some marmalade chicken and steamed brown rice...yum yum yum.

When I get off my lazy butt and bake, I do cinnamon rolls, croissants(from my grandmothers recipe), and bear claws.

Vegetable stew, candied yams, greens, and potato salad round out my favorites...my grandmother (who was a caterer) taught me to cook, so I can thow down pretty well in the kitchen. It's just a matter of me not being too lazy to do so.

divaemeritus
03-01-2005, 01:00 AM
As of tonight, black bean soup with smoked turkey! :D

vinny_46
03-01-2005, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by tjolims@Feb 28 2005, 02:06 PM
I can stir a mean fry...I can make a delicious stir-fry in my sleep, I've been making them for so long.

When I get off my lazy butt and bake, I do cinnamon rolls, croissants(from my grandmothers recipe), and bear claws.

Ooh, that sounds so good. the longing I have an ex who makes cinammon rolls from scratch, along with bagels and other yummies. I broke up with him. :icon_headshake: :lol: I was eating good then.

I can make an okay stir fry. I eat it alot, but I don't think I've worked at mastering it. It's average.

pwr_puff
03-03-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by EarthyDiva@Feb 21 2005, 10:57 PM
Meatloaf
Mac N Cheese
Coconut Red Beans and Rice Salmon Patties
Griot (Haitian pork dish)
Cheesecakes

According to my dh :wub: these are my specialities

ED

oooh dont be suprised if i PM you for that.
-mine are Macaroni and cheese w/pepperjack
-salmon"burgers"

jorjeni
03-06-2005, 01:25 AM
Fried Catfish I had to teach my mother so my family would stop bugging me about making it for them

Lemon pie again had to teach my mother this family getting on my nerves

Enchilladas the mexians at work call me the black mexican cause they love them.

anabwi
03-06-2005, 08:03 PM
Meatloaf is my thing, but Earthydiva and pwr_puff, I need those salmon patties/burger recipes. Mine tend to fall apart.

winnie
03-07-2005, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by charise@Feb 20 2005, 08:18 PM

You could go the old fashion way and add a thickener such as flour...But who wants to do that (unless you know how to add it without getting lumps...)....

It's easy to add the flour without getting lumps. Place your flour in a small bowl and add warm stock or water to it SLOWLY while stirring. When it's thin enough to pour, pour it in a slow, steady stream into your soup while simultaneously stiring the soup. It works perfect every time and you don't have the added sodium from a canned condensed soup.

I love to cook and bake. I make everything from scratch because it just tastes better, imo. Tonight I had hummus with kalmata olives, whole wheat pita, and grilled lamb. Tomorrow, I'm making an okra pilau.

winnie
03-07-2005, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by charise@Feb 20 2005, 08:18 PM

It's easy to add the flour without getting lumps. Place your flour in a small bowl and add warm stock or water to it SLOWLY while stirring. When it's thin enough, pour it in a slow, steady stream into your soup while simultaneously stirring the soup. It works perfect every time and you don't have the added sodium from a canned condensed soup.

I love to cook and bake. I make everything from scratch because it just tastes better, imo. Tonight I had hummus with kalmata olives, whole wheat pita, and grilled lamb. Tomorrow, I'm making an okra pilau.

rocktheLocs
03-07-2005, 04:55 AM
I'm from the south... :D
And to me there is nothing like good ole southern cooking....
I'm still learning how to cook some things....
but these are the things that i have down to a science:

Salmon Cakes (THE GOOD SOUTHERN WAY)....!!!!!!
Mac n Cheese
BBQ Chicken
Cabbage
Chicken-n- Noodle Soup...
CORN BREAD
FRIEND CHICKEN....

icetia
03-07-2005, 05:27 AM
I make a great seafood gumbo and cornbread. I also bake perfect cakes (or so I've been told :D )

leshapesha03
03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I can make like some of the best fried chicken! Although I hate cooking it and eating it, but I always get sooo much praise! But I really love cooking cajun food ESP GUMBO! Aww man! LOL! I think anyone can cook! It's all in how you season your food! That's it!

vinny_46
03-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by rocktheLocs@Mar 6 2005, 09:55 PM

FRIEND CHICKEN....

The chicken is your friend? :huh: Some friend you are! :lol:

j/k ;)

rocktheLocs
03-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Mar 8 2005, 07:09 PM
The chicken is your friend? :huh: Some friend you are! :lol:

j/k ;)

CDFU...GOOD CATCH SWEETIE.....:::SHAKING MY HEAD:::: lAWDDD!!! :doh

:blush: AT LEAST YOU READ....! :D

feepee
03-10-2005, 07:30 PM
i can make th best veggie collard greens u ever tasted.

my folks like my cornbread, but i just use Jiffy mix and add honey and use rice milk.

felise
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Red beans and rice
Fried chicken (even though I don't eat it much anymore)
Greens (collard, mustard, turnips)
Smoked turkey with cabbage
Spaghetti
Stuffed green peppers

snellie
03-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Grilled/Baked Salmon (the secret's in the marinade!)

I have this dish that I created w/ collard greens, okra, shrimp, and scallops. It's really spicy but sooo good and not that bad for you either. My parents always beg me to make it when I come home from school.

carlaw78
03-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I can make some BOMB *SS BANANA PUDDING!!! And I aint using no Jello mix...straight from scratch. I be slaving over that stove .....just a stirring!!

And

Baked Mac & Cheese

vinny_46
03-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by blondnaps@Mar 11 2005, 02:38 PM
Baked Mac & Cheese

:P
ooh, that's one the foods that I can't figure out. :dunno: I don't know why, seems so simple. And I don't like it out of the box, so I'd love to make it from scratch.

pwr_puff
03-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by rocktheLocs@Mar 6 2005, 11:55 PM

Salmon Cakes (THE GOOD SOUTHERN WAY)....!!!!!!
Mac n Cheese
BBQ Chicken
Cabbage
Chicken-n- Noodle Soup...
CORN BREAD
FRIEND CHICKEN....

i think i gained like 5 pounds just reading your post. :unsure:
-i bake my mac N cheese too. its easy! after i boil the macaroni, i layer my mac N cheese in a casserol dish. i cut thin squares of butter and put on each layer. then i pour my egg, milk, pepper mixture on top, and bake for an 45 mins to an hour.

autumnleaves
03-22-2005, 06:35 AM
lasagna, I'm amazed at how great it turns out for me lol

Whitley Gilbert
03-22-2005, 06:38 AM
I'm no cook but I can make a mean turkey spagetti and some yummy beef stir fry. Mmmm.. I'm hungry now.

TrickieTam
03-25-2005, 08:02 PM
I make great layered cakes (Red Velvet, German Choc.)
I love cooking Peppered Steak, Chilli, and I make good Lasagne. People usually request one of the items when we have potluck lunches.

sonce
03-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Feb 17 2005, 09:56 PM
What are some of your signature dishes that you can cook with perfection??

For me, it's chili. :P

For me it's any kind of rice. I can make kickass fried, jolof, stir-fried, or boiled rice with all sorts of spices/meat. My ex-boyfriend used to just tell me he was in a mood for "chicken and onions with a sweet taste and no skimping on the greasiness", or "beef and peppers with a tangy flavor but heart-healthy", or any other combination or meat/veg/taste/style, and I would make a rice dish with those ingredients and matching spices to create the flavor he chose.

In general, I know my spices and can use them to make pretty much any flavor.

sonce
03-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by blondnaps@Mar 11 2005, 10:38 PM
I can make some BOMB *SS BANANA PUDDING!!! And I aint using no Jello mix...straight from scratch. I be slaving over that stove .....just a stirring!!

Wow, yum! I loooooooooooove banana pudding...

ChiChiKinks
03-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Baked Mac and Cheese (from scratch)
Spegetti with either ground turkey or shrimp sauce
My homemade chicken fahjitas
Baked Chicken
Okra Soup (Nigeiran dish)
Pepper Chicken Stew and rice (Liberian dish)
I would love to know how to bake cakes, cookies, pies and such from scratch...I can't even make it well from the box. :doh

charise
04-03-2005, 11:39 PM
'Nuther one of my specialties is Pene pasta with pesto, Kalamata olives and feta cheese..Yummy!

RubyRedLove
04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Mine are spaghetti, lasagna, baked tilapia (fish & grits :wub: ), baked chicken, and cornbread (my son calls it "cake"- might have something to do with me using sugar or cuz it's cut in squares :dunno: ).

Originally posted by feepee@Mar 10 2005, 03:30 PM
i can make th best veggie collard greens u ever tasted.

Alright, feepee. Get up off that veggie collard greens recipe. I wanna try it.

Mrsdawsondn
04-06-2005, 08:52 PM
I can fry some fish that'll make you smack ya mama!

I can make some good Banana cream pudding with the little vanilla wafers and real bananas ---that was the first thing I ever learned to cook my grandma showed me how.

Baked Sweet potatoe Fries (new)

Anything with ground turkey in it you name it I can season and do it up right

Stuffed bell peppers

spaghetti

karmlkinks
04-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Baked Tilapia
Fried Catfish
Authentic Hot/Buffalo wings
Meatloaf(made with ground turkey..don't mess with beef)
Fish Tacos
Home-made Apple cakes
Also do Sweet Potato Fries....mmmm deeeelicious
Still trying to perfect my homemade mac & cheese...something about the seasonings isn't right :dunno:

ladyerika
04-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Peach cobbler
7-up pound cake
sweet potato pie
mexican dishes
turkey-spinach-mushroom lasagne

RoseBurnt
04-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Lasagna
Carbonara
Spaghetti Bolognese

Jerk Chicken
Ackee & Salt Fish
Rice n Peas

Tomato salad
Blue Cheese & Bacon Soup

I make good sandwiches

I'm just kinda creative wit food.. I shoulda gone chef school & done!

alma2254
04-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Mulohia (not sure what its called in English, Sudanese dish)
Chick pea salad
Vegie stew
Spanish omelette
Black rice and vegies

Afrokween
05-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Awwww.....now I feel so bad. :( :icon_headshake: I can't cook to save my life..... :unsure:

Afrokween :afro:

piscesgirl_2
05-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately, Baking! I LOVE making (and eating) desserts! Baking is so much fun to me, almost therapeautic. I try to make new recipes at least once a week! I made some carrot muffins last week, yummmmmy! My family rants and raves over my cheesecakes, from scratch and my Homemade Apple pie, it's so pretty y'all! LOL

Also, I LOVE making soup! LOVE IT! I could eat soup if it's 100 degrees outside, makes no difference to me. And I agree with who added the instructions for the flour. Saw that on Food Network (I'm an addict) and have used it every since!

I just learned how to make Manicotti and it's DA BOMB! The trick is not to cook it, but stuff it while it's dry and allow it to cook in the oven...mmmm. I gots the stuff at home to make it now, but won't have the time to cook it until tomorrow! I can't hardly wait!

Afrokween, I'm really new at cooking. I say within the last year or so, I've begun cooking...I always baked things and made desserts. Just go to Foodtv.com and see if you can find easy recipes of simple dishes. Ask family members how they made this and that. That's what I've been doing. I LOVE cooking, just wish I had someone to share it w/ b/c I live alone.

haas
05-22-2005, 03:48 AM
Quinoa & in my pre-veg days lasagne.

charise
05-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RoseBurnt@Apr 18 2005, 04:01 PM
[b

Jerk Chicken
Ackee & Salt Fish
Rice n Peas

[/b]

Can I come over... :unsure: I have a friend from Trinidad that makes all of the above. I had to stop going over her house cuz I ALWAYS ate over there...My faves are Jerk Chicken or curry goat w/ Roti...Salt Fish w/Fry Bake, and basically anything else she put on my plate...Rice and Peas...is that the same as Pilau???

RoseBurnt
05-22-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by charise@May 22 2005, 03:31 PM
Can I come over... :unsure: I have a friend from Trinidad that makes all of the above. I had to stop going over her house cuz I ALWAYS ate over there...My faves are Jerk Chicken or curry goat w/ Roti...Salt Fish w/Fry Bake, and basically anything else she put on my plate...Rice and Peas...is that the same as Pilau???

Yeah, sure.. come over we'll feed you up ( then you can do my hair too!! :D ). Rice & peas is different to Pilau, but my best friends boyfriend is Trini and we're always having spontaneous cook outs and gatherings so he'll bring the Roti & curry, and my Bajan friend will do some lovely salt-fish fritters & lemonade and my ghanian friend will do the jellof rice.. mmmmmmmm *mouth waters*.. shoot.. I think I gained 10lb thinking up that.. :lol: That food is seriously dangerous. West Indian food goes STRAIGHT to my booty :unsure:

Lukki_Nappy
05-30-2005, 09:54 PM
:blush:

for me its any kind of Quesadilla

also......

Tuna Casserole...

and yea, thats pretty much it..I am still learning new things

(dont cook much) :blush:

nappydee78
06-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by sunnedelight@Feb 20 2005, 08:15 PM
I can make a mean Lean Cuisine frozen dinner!!

:pointlaugh:

OK, seriously, I do baked BBQ chicken well, homemade mac&cheese, chili, jagicida....there are a lot of things my family loves that I make. Sometimes when I try something new, it goes over well, sometimes, not so well, lol. :dunno:

What's Jagicida?

NappyNiece
06-29-2005, 01:23 AM
I am a grill master, eventhough most grill masters are male. I rule the roost. Beef and pork ribs, burgers, grilled veggies, even pineapple.
One of my fav dishes to do it braciole. It is a flank steak rolled around herb and cheese breadcrumb stuffing. YUM!

The thing I can't do, which I wish I could, is desserts. I think I am too impatient and I like to improv too much. I can make soup from scratch, but I burn soup from a can, can't explain it!!

detshorty05
06-29-2005, 11:24 PM
boiled water. :lol: Just kidding. I make really good broiled chicken. They are fall off the bone juicy. and spicy. yummy

MYBELOVED
07-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Off topic sorta. But y'all are making me drool. how bout postin just one recipe each. i know, mac 'n cheese, griot, coconut rice and beans, stir fry, that chicken soup, and roti/ brown stew chicken, and jamaican & african dishes. i am not a cook. i learn by others. help a sista out please. :)

trubliss
07-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Homemade Mac N Cheese

Candied yams

Italian casserole

Still working on the lemon pound cake from scratch with the lemon drizzle icing.

Shonia
07-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Macaroni and Cheese
Sour Cream Pound Cake
Coconut Cake
Vegetarian Fettuccine Alfredo
Strawberry Banana Pudding

Schiffon
07-07-2005, 05:22 PM
OK, all jokes aside, you ladies need to give up some of these recipes otherwise, this thread is a complete tease.

My specialities are:
Penne ala Vodka
Lasagna
Macaroni & Cheese
Jumbalya
Chicken Fajitas
Cheddar Cheese scones
Coho Salmon with Peppers

I will share my recipes, will you?

China
07-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Please share! Folks like me need all the help we can get! :unsure: