PDA

View Full Version : About To Get Sisterlocs

dream6
02-19-2005, 04:23 AM
I will be getting sisterlocs for the first time in 2 weeks and I needed some advice from the experts out here. What are the pros and cons? O really want to do it, but are they very difficult and expensive to maintain and can anyone tell me how much the sisterlocs class is if I want to do the maintenance myself?

Thanks so much

nappystylist
02-19-2005, 06:56 AM
Hi, I am a stylist and I have sisterlocks and I do them as well. I love the many styling options that sisterlocks gives. They are relatively easy to care for and for most people the hair locks alot faster than the tranditional way. I would say that it is a more expensive alternative to regular locks with teh average cost to start them being between $500-$800 or more. If you have the patients to groom your own hair then maybe you should take the retightening class. I am not sure what the cost is for the retightening class right now but I think it cost a few hundred dollars also. The process take some hours to do especially if you have long hair but don't get discouraged by the price. It's worth every penny if you ask me. No waiting for weeks to wash your hair. your locks will stay uniformed and they will look welll groomed! Go ahead and do it you deserve it!

Songs of Solomon ( King James Bible)
chapter 1 verse 5
"I am Black but Comely"...
Look not upon me because I am black....

Hajirah
02-19-2005, 01:48 PM
I do not have sister loc's,but my daughter does,and at the time it was a good choice becuase I had nowhere to go with her hair,to chopped it all off woud have been devastating to her at 10 I think she was. So there is my Pro:

Con: Be ready to come out of your pocket for a long time to come I'm taking 150 to 250 a pop,to get yur hair retightened and matinence. This was the very thing for me I was trying to walk away from sitting for hours in a shop to get my hair done and place out hundreds if not thousands of dollars every few months. I was going to get them for myself but around the time I was 1500 deep keeping up my daughters hair for the very begining stages,I was like..mmm I will pass. I grew my locks naturally,they are beautiful,small and just as verestile. Once your in your in sister...I got to tighten my daughters locks this weekend...this is at least a good five hour process. Now she is in high school I worry if she goes off to college ..how will she be able to afford to get it retightened?

pro: If you do not really like fooling with your hair and want some one taking the main maintance of your hair.this may be for you. If you are not one who wants to cut off your perm..this is for you..But like I said sister it is a commitment

vetpoo
02-19-2005, 05:47 PM
I have sisterlocks and have had them since September. I love them but let me tell you that the cost is absolutely no joke! I have had some problems with consultants not following through and gouging in terms of price but the locks themselves are great. I am going to be taking the retightening class and intend on doing my own retightening. I may not be as agile doing my own, but I can take my time and work on a part of my head at a time. It won't be a problem. I expect to come out on the plus side when I do my own. You are not eligible to do your own hair until you are six months into the process. You have to braid and band your hair each time you shampoo and (at least for me) I could not use any other products in my hair at all. No beeswax, no essential oils, no lotions for dandruff - no nothing! Your locks will 'slip' out of their position if you do this and that will require additional time on your consultants part to redo your locs and thus more money out of your own pocket. If you find one lock misbehaving, you can retighten it yourself once you take the class. Please, please, please, shop around for a consultant who you get good vibes from...you will be with this person for quite a while going back and forth with questions and retightenings and following up on your locs and you don't need to go to someone who you don't gel with. If I had it to do over again, knowing that my hair is prone to slippage and that slippage is where the problems come in, I would not do sisterlocs. Not because of the upfront money (you will spend the money one way or another) but because the on-going maintenance for me personally has run so much because my soft hair texture is causing the locs to slip out of place. I love the locs but am at a crossroads right now. If I can maintain my hair myself then all will be cool. If not, I will be growing out some locs and wearing a TWA until I can get some baby locs put in...

HaitianPeach
02-19-2005, 07:21 PM
wow ya'll r going sisterlocks crazy on the boards today! lol...

i love my sisterlocks... i love my consultant... they r small and versatile, and when u put them in u know how they r going to look in the end. with other methods its definetly touch and go as far as the end product (size) goes...

cost is a lot... but once u take that retightening class, and get some practice doing it yourself its all good

traditional locs can be expensive to esp if u have soft hair like mine and want to try getting comb coils... u could easily be spending $75 every other week getting put back in.

if u have softer/finer hair then SL's is definetly a great choice

gerri
02-19-2005, 08:26 PM
[quote]
If I had it to do over again, knowing that my hair is prone to slippage and that slippage is where the problems come in, I would not do sisterlocs. Not because of the upfront money (you will spend the money one way or another) but because the on-going maintenance for me personally has run so much because my soft hair texture is causing the locs to slip out of place. I love the locs but am at a crossroads right now.

Hey Girl.....I know you've been through a lot, but keep your head up. My hope for you is to find someone that you can gel with, depend on, and above all take care of your locks properly without trying to rob you. My hat is off to most sisterlock consultants, because most do good work and have good work ethic. However, just reading posts in various places has led me to the conclusion that there are a hand full of consultants out there that ARE shady and money hungry. When you find the right one(as I have), you and your hair will fair all the better. Hang in there :)

Nini
02-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I've had Sisterlocks for just over a year now. Just before I got them put in, I bought the book and tool for Nappylocs, but didn't think I could do Nappylocs, so decided on Sisterlocks.

Pros: I really love how full my locs are. Also love how versatile they are.

Cons: I'd have to agree with others here .. The cost to get and maintain them is not cheap! I have a hard time coordinating appointments with my consultant. I especially had a hard time scheduling over the summer, I took matters into my own hands and latched the newgrowth. I don't know how long it took, but I spent several days doing it, a few hours here, a couple hours there. Also, I have severe carpel tunnel, which has become a constant pain, so it's out the question for me to even consider learning how to retighten on my own right now. Even if I learned how to do it on my own, there's no way I'd spend so many hours on it again. That was insane! Since then, I've been thinking about combining them.

All in all, I really like my Sisterlocks, but if I had to do it again, (knowing what I know now), I'd opt for a much cheaper way to lock on my own. Probably Nappylocs, braidlocs or 2-strand twists.

nappynana
02-20-2005, 03:38 AM
I have SLs and love them. Mine are only about 6 weeks old, but I am very very happy with them. I had traditional locs before and cut them off with the intent of getting SLs. It was just that when I first saw them - after I had started my traditional locs - I knew that I wanted SLs.

The pros for me were their uniform size, styling ability, and just the sheer beauty. The $$$ wasn't as much of a consideration for me because I had gone to a traditional loctitian for my first set of locs. That wasn't cheap either. IMO the initial $400 is a better deal than the cost of the retightenings ($20 per hour). That $400 includes the initial set of locs and the first retightening (roughly 30-40 hrs of work - about $10 per hour).

I have a good relationship with my SL consultant, and thus far have had no problems. I am going to take the retightening class in the spring just to have independence. Since I haven't been dependent on a hair dresser in all the years of being natural, I don't mind going to one for the next 6 months. I only have to go for retightening every 6 weeks. I was actually tired of doing my hair by the time I got my SLs.

The cons are just those of having locs - fuzzy stage, etc.

If you are having any doubts I would just hold off a while. When I saw SL I KNEW I had to have them. Wait until you feel that strongly. And then find the right consultant. If you hair is too soft, etc, the consultant should tell you rather than take your money. Don't be scared to shop around for a consultant.

HTH!
nana

vetpoo
02-20-2005, 04:26 AM
Gerri:
Big :hug: comin your way! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I can (and have!) climbed many mountains because of the folks on this board! I will hang in there. I have to keep looking. I only need one good consultant, and although I am running out of locals, I can and will expand my search. I have invested too much to give up now. Thanks!

Brit
02-21-2005, 03:21 PM
I have SLs also and have had them for about a year. I have lots of hair and the retightening cost will killing me (there's your con - the cost of maintenance),so I took the retightening class for approx. $100 and I have been doing my own hair since then with no problem. And you CAN take the retightening class about 6 months after you have your SLs initiated. So technically you would only have to go to 3 or 4 retightenings and then you could take care of yourself.

About the pros, I think in general, you would have the same pros with any locs. You can have small traditionals with nice parting (and contrary to what ppl on this board seem to think - you can style thicker locs with any of the styles that you could do with SLs) I think it's just a matter of what sort of look you want.

dream6
02-21-2005, 06:02 PM
This is great advice! I feel better already. I liked them because they seem so versatile and I know that I will take the re-tightening class!

Thanks again. :)

Oh, I almost forgot. Please tell me a little more about the fuzzy stage and how long does that last. I guess that I thought it was just with those that had softer, curlier hair that is harder to lock(which is not me) :afro:

And can you say what is the average time that it took for your hair to lock?

Katintransit
02-21-2005, 07:15 PM
How many times does one have to get retightened having sister locks? Is this a lifetime thing? :unsure:

shish
02-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Okay, I am new to this natural thing--what is sister locks?

Originally posted by HaitianPeach@Feb 19 2005, 02:21 PM
wow ya'll r going sisterlocks crazy on the boards today! lol...

i love my sisterlocks... i love my consultant... they r small and versatile, and when u put them in u know how they r going to look in the end. with other methods its definetly touch and go as far as the end product (size) goes...

cost is a lot... but once u take that retightening class, and get some practice doing it yourself its all good

traditional locs can be expensive to esp if u have soft hair like mine and want to try getting comb coils... u could easily be spending $75 every other week getting put back in.

if u have softer/finer hair then SL's is definetly a great choice

Beryl
02-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by shish@Feb 21 2005, 04:12 PM
Okay, I am new to this natural thing--what is sister locks?

Sisterlocks Website Link (http://www.sisterlocks.com)

vetpoo
02-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Katintransit@Feb 21 2005, 02:15 PM
How many times does one have to get retightened having sister locks? Is this a lifetime thing? :unsure:

If hair grows, it needs to be retightened....that would be for the rest of your life (should you have locs that long). The upside is that after the first six months, you are able to take retightening classes and do the retightenings yourself. HTH. :)

nappynana
02-22-2005, 04:04 AM
You will have to retighten or retwist your locs - no matter what type you have - as your hair grows out.

Do a search on the stages of locking for more on the fuzzy stage. The fuzzy stage probably last a couple months for most folks. How long it takes to lock depends on your hair texture.

HTH!