PDA

View Full Version : Luxuries We Can Live Without - Article

tenachie
02-21-2005, 06:49 AM
came upon this article (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Savemoney/P107710.asp) while browsing MSNMoney. I tend to agree with it. Though when I think about it, I'm guilty of buying brand name only groceries but I'm ok with that cos I only buy "on sale".

And while I still use 99 cent sauve (ok I lied $2.00 suave professionals!) as I grow older (mid twenties now) and "more sophisticated", I do tend to use the slightly more expensive drugstore bought cosmetics. let me not even talk about M.A.C! I've also graduated from Payless and Sears to "sale" items at nine west and nordstrom. Hmmm. I hope when I'm really making money, I don't waste it all on misneeds.

what do guys think about this trend of must-have luxuries?

Lokii
02-21-2005, 01:14 PM
It all breaks down to the issue of whether you prefer to pay more upfront for quality items or payless for cheaper and poor quality items. If you pay once for a more expensive item that lasts for years and years it ends up being cheaper than buying a series of cheap-a items that break or become unusable in a short period of time so that you have to keep buying more. My mother taught me to go for quality so this has always been my lifestyle. I never thought it was nuts to shop "luxury". "Luxury" simply means you are paying for things like quality ingredients or items that are handmade by artisans who are being paid a fair wage as opposed to cheap knock offs made by sweatshop labor. So as far as I'm concerned there are ethical considerations to be made in consumer choices. When something's too cheap you can be assured that someone somewhere's being exploited and I try to avoid being a part of that system. If you buy on sale or shop at outlet malls you'll find that you aren't paying much more than cheapie mart prices - and sometimes the cost comes out to be less.

thunderstorm
02-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Lokii@Feb 21 2005, 01:14 PM
It all breaks down to the issue of whether you prefer to pay more upfront for quality items or payless for cheaper and poor quality items. If you pay once for a more expensive item that lasts for years and years it ends up being cheaper than buying a series of cheap-a items that break or become unusable in a short period of time so that you have to keep buying more.

that is it in a nutshell.

my husband and i paid for high quality mattress sets and good, solid wooden furniture for our kids that will last for a long time. we skipped the toddler furniture and children's furniture and went straight for the stuff that we hope they'll still be using in highschool.

when we replaced our bedroom furniture (my husband's bachelor bedroom set), we went all out for a nice, sturdy, wooden bedroom set.

it cost a lot, but we don't plan on replacing any of this furniture for a looonnnnng time.

tdhayes
02-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I guess it just depends on what you value. I don't mind spending money on some GOOD solid wood furniture, a good set of pots, etc. that is going to last. I know that I plan to have it for a while. However, Payless IS my shoe store. I got tired of spending $50 on New Balance sneakers and THEN still buying arch support inserts!! With Payless shoes, I get sneakers WITH support AND I didn't spend more than $25! Besides, I jog/workout, etc...I got through sneakers about every 3 months like clockwork.

As for jeans, JCPenney outlet, Lerner, Target, Walmart suit me just fine. Besides, their clothes lasted longer for me than the $50 jeans and $45 shirts. Brand names don't mean a thing to me. Since I'm rough on clothes and shoes anyway, I'm not going to pay alot for something that ALWAYS tears up first! My "cheap" clothes have ALWAYS lasted longer than any name brand clothes that I've ever purchased.

I guess it all boils down to the person. I'm not going to spend globs of money on something that I'm not going to be using/wearing 6 months - one year from now.

Keedah
02-21-2005, 11:16 PM
Being a marketing major you learn to price items at whatever people are willing to pay or for whatever brand image you are trying to portray. In some cases the cheaper items may be of the same quality as high priced stuff. Its just trial and error finding out which ones are worthy.

tran68
02-22-2005, 12:39 AM
I agree with buying quality furniture.....I'm shopping now for bedroom suits for everyone and it will definitely be the quality that my kids can take with them when they get their own place(s). My parents invested in furniture back in the 70s (Ethan Allan) that's STILL lookin good today....they had it reupholstered when they changed color schemes in the 90s but the quality of the craftsmanship is still holding up! :)

LBellatrix
02-22-2005, 12:57 AM
I agree with the general tone of the article. BUT...

When I left home my mother told me to always buy the best I could afford. So why did it take me SEVENTEEN YEARS to finally get a decent skillet? I don't even want to think about how many cheap-azz skillets I went through before I got up off my wallet and bought a Calphalon 12-inch no-stick. And I am NOT SORRY. You hear? You ain't never SEEN anybody so excited about some damn COOKWARE! :lol:

elleebeme5
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I have several Coach bags all of which were purchased in the 80s meaning that I not bought a purse in 20 years. I need a new black one but I'm going to try to get it an outlet and hope it lasts 20 years too. In late 90s, my parents just replaced the dryer that I learned to do laundry on (in the 60s). I remember my mother talking to me about buying the dryer. She said that they saw the one they wanted but they had to wait a few more paydays until they could get it. She said it's best to put off a purchase until you can get the best that will last.

sunschild57
02-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by tdhayes@Feb 21 2005, 01:00 PM
I guess it just depends on what you value. I don't mind spending money on some GOOD solid wood furniture, a good set of pots, etc. that is going to last. I know that I plan to have it for a while. However, Payless IS my shoe store. I got tired of spending $50 on New Balance sneakers and THEN still buying arch support inserts!! With Payless shoes, I get sneakers WITH support AND I didn't spend more than $25! Besides, I jog/workout, etc...I got through sneakers about every 3 months like clockwork.

As for jeans, JCPenney outlet, Lerner, Target, Walmart suit me just fine. Besides, their clothes lasted longer for me than the $50 jeans and $45 shirts. Brand names don't mean a thing to me. Since I'm rough on clothes and shoes anyway, I'm not going to pay alot for something that ALWAYS tears up first! My "cheap" clothes have ALWAYS lasted longer than any name brand clothes that I've ever purchased.

I guess it all boils down to the person. I'm not going to spend globs of money on something that I'm not going to be using/wearing 6 months - one year from now.

Ditto! :afro:

wildandkinky
03-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Where do these people live who pay $800 for sheets? Cotton sheets even?
If you know them, tell me.
Tell them they can buy handmade silk sheets from me for the meager price of, say, $750.
A sheet is just a piece of fabric with the edges sewn over, I see a good business here. :P

I can see the point of buying good quality, especially if it is for an item that is meant to last like furniture, washing machines, mattresses, pots etc. But some of the prices in that article were ridiculous like the sheets, come on even if you dont sew you can go to Thailand, get 5 sheets sewd by a skilled adult, enjoy a holiday, and still spend less than half for your sheets.

charli
03-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Well as someone who has moderately expensive taste I will say this:

I have $80 Italian towels that I got for a steal.

I will rock my $150 premium denim jeans and nobody can tell me that they are the same as the ones they got from the GAP or Express because they are not. Got them with a hookup.

I have $200-$300 shoes that I love to death and won't trade for a cheap shoe. And I don't play with the cheap shoes. Got those as a gift.

I have $600 shirts and $800 skirts and $1200 jackets that I got for almost nothing. Once had a $2700 skirt that I got for 95% off retail and best believe that if I had a place to wear it I would have kept every single bit of it, but I didn't so I sold it (for a great profit, I might add).

I'm a miser so I don't pay retail for most of what I have, but my price tolerance is directly tied to my income so as my income changes, that will change accordingly. So I can't knock the one who has $800 sheets because that just might be me one day.

The assumption always is that you COULD save more that you COULD invest, but the assumption is based on people who are not saving or investing. Well I do both and I live and work hard and if I want it I get it. You only live once.

Those that will tell you "you can get the same thing at store XYZ for much less" I tell them you can't. And if you want to tell me that, well, then you don't know the difference. It's like telling someone who wants to buy a mercedes that they can get a car for $12,000. Well, yes they can get a ford focus. And just because they are both CARS don't mean they are comparable.

And people think everything is the same-- well it's NOT. My Blue Cult's don't FIT the same as jeans from the gap or old navy, I know because I have some of those too. My $30 Cosabella boyshorts can't compare to Hanes in either fit, style or comfort. I know because I had those too. My $50 C&C california tee shirt is not the same one as the one you got from target and it's cool if you THINK it is because they are both tee shirts and you don't see the difference, but I do.

And when I travel I stay in 4 star and above hotels that I book on priceline. I won't stay in a Best Western, those days are over.

and @ LBellatrix, yeah, that Caphalon doesn't even cook up food the same as the one that was $9.99 at Ikea so I feel you there.

And I'll buy my hair products at Aveda and pay full retail. Or even buy the forsaken $28 curly pudding and won't touch a bottle of VO5.

And I bought that $250 stroller when I could have gotten a Graco for $70, but they ain't the same, honey.

and when I saw that that g5 and a 17" monitor was gonna cost me $3000 when it was all said and done I bought it even though I probably could have gotten a PC for half the price, because that's what I wanted.

Because that's me.

Because I work hard to enjoy life and I balance my miserhood with enjoying what I want. Does that mean I squander my money-- FAR FROM IT. But it doesn't matter to me that the $3000 I dropped on a new computer system could **possibly-- POSSIBLY** be worth a lot more in the future if I invest in a mutual fund with X rate of return for X number of years.

I'll die rich, but I'll live the way I want. And if what I want is expensive, then so be it.

To each his own.

caramelaggie
03-15-2005, 07:26 PM
I think that you have to take things in perspective and in what you can and cant afford and what is important to you. I cannot go to Lerner's or Target to get my clothes. I rather go to Ann Taylor loft or The Limited and wait for a good sale. Some items at the grocery I do pick up the name brand and some I dont. There are alot of times that you do get what you pay for. But with that said I try not to over do it. With outlets and sales these days there is no need to go without what you like and I say that if you are working hard everyday get what you like as long as you can afford it.

charli
03-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Oh and let me add.

I have a friend with a thing for expensive bags. She buys Louis Vuitton purses almost exclusively. The real deal, not the knock offs. She even will have friends purchase bags for her when they travel because they are not available in the US. Will spend 10 grand on some bags and people will call that crazy, what the hayell is wrong with you when you can get a purse for $20.

Well, you know what. 3, 4, 5 years from now, those purses will still be worth the money. 20 years from now they will be collectible and worth more. She takes excellent care of them and keeps the boxes, the dustbags, the authenticity cards, everything.

And that's cool, can't hate her for it. She had a wardrobe full of Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Ralph lauren purple label, Armani every high end designer, you name it, she had it. Would call it crazy. One day she decided she needed a new wardrobe and sold every piece and made back every dime she spent-- AND THEN SOME. Nobody wants your lightly worn suit from Tar-Jhay but a lightly worn Chanel-- yeah they will pay for that. So in essence, she got a free designer wardrobe. Bought another, sold it a year and a half later. Same deal.

Some people think everyone who buys expensive is foolish with money, or is stuck on brand names, or what have you. But some of us say "they just don't know" and leave it at that.

nappyesquire
03-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Lokii@Feb 21 2005, 05:14 AM
It all breaks down to the issue of whether you prefer to pay more upfront for quality items or payless for cheaper and poor quality items.

i think that's the assumption that the author wants to debunk. cheaper doesn't always equal poor quality. it just might mean a less familiar brand, a company that spends more on marketing or costs, or just a good deal.

i agree with keedah's spiel about marketing. sometimes it not really about quality but rather one's perception of quality, ie "it costs a lot so it must be better." i've never been comfortable with that generalization.

just from my experiences with testing out freakin' conditioners i know that's not true. np taught me that.

at the same time, my ex-fiance bought me a cheap @ss dvd player for my b-day one year. i looked at him like he was crazy. that sucka broke a couple of months later.... i didn't even bother to say i told you so. :blush:

to me, often times we are just paying for sexier packaging... before i started law school, i worked at the hq for a top retailer. the marketing department literally would spend HOURS arguing over how best to dress an item up to make consumers feel that they "just had" to spend $500 for this item cuz "it clearly is worth it" and clearly wasn't cheap. :huh: ... just sounds like bigger profit margins to me and the them.

... in all honestly, it was made by the same little hands in the same hot factories in the same parts of the world that the gap and abercrombie and ann taylor were made. (off topic: if congress ever made me testify to what i saw, i'd just spill my guts... and go into witness protection....sike.) but for real, at least in terms of clothes it's the SAME fit models, same designers (or folks mimicking a designer), etc. now, what COULD be different is the fabric that a retailer choices to use. that's the only quality difference... and that really does matter. BUT, no matter how your spin it "100% preshrunk cotton" is "100% preshrunk cotton." :lol: :lol:

for me i go for quality and then the "cute" factor. if it's cute, then i'll pay less in comparision to another item.... but only after good quality has been established.

i'm ALL for some good solid ethan allan furniture! :D but some of this crap i find in los angeles for $X,000s is a joke. i was in beverly hills window shopping and came across a place. i'm checking out a table and i'm like "is that just cement GLUE under there?!? wtf?"

a less saavy consumer might have saw the price, the store name, the write up in the LA times about it being "so hot", and the 90210 zip code and thought "yeah girl, you know this table is fly and you know i'm the bomb for spending my last dollar on it!" :icon_headshake:

quality first at ANY price... but know that you are getting quality and not just falling for the okie-doke.

watercolorz
03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by wildandkinky@Mar 15 2005, 11:27 AM
Where do these people live who pay $800 for sheets? Cotton sheets even?
If you know them, tell me.

Luxury is a relative term… 1000 thread count Royal Crest does “retail” for $800 but if you search the web you can purchase the same set for $129. If you go to Target you can get 300 thread count for $30-40… are they comparable no way. The higher the thread count the softer, the more durable, even the darkest brightest colors don’t fade and they last… plus high thread count sheets perform like silk so they don’t rob hair and skin of moisture or shed leaving lint. You get more than 3-4 times the quality for 3-4 times the money.

I understand where the article was trying to go but it missed some important points along the way and was somewhat disingenuous. It doesn’t take into account of being penny wise and pound foolish.

Take cosmetics for example buying Cover Girl lipgloss @ $5 is not equivalent to MAC @ $14… now is Stila worth $20 or Channel $25 that is more subjective… for me I no longer buy cosmetics that I can’t try on.

Paying 3 times as much for MAC is practical I get to try it on and if I don’t like the color I can exchange within 30 days of purchase, and the brand also last longer. Cover Girl is a $5 crap shoot if I just purchase in the store sometimes it pays off and I find a winner… but more often than not I end up at the end of the year with 4 or 5 “losers” equivalent in price to two MAC items. Where would be the wiser place to spend my money? ~W

tran68
03-16-2005, 02:34 PM
I know one thing, the Ralph Lauren towels I got for my housewarming 6 yrs ago are still cuddly soft! :)

watercolorz
03-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by tran68@Mar 16 2005, 08:34 AM
I know one thing, the Ralph Lauren towels I got for my housewarming 6 yrs ago are still cuddly soft! :)

My motto: ALWAYS buy the best you can AFFORD!

For me it is ALL about quality. I think people far too often limit themselves… they think either in terms exclusively of designer labels, and some never explore possibilities because they assume they can’t afford something and then there are those that spend the money for pedestrian experiences instead of extraordinary ones.

I saw a couple on Oprah once who saw the table they wanted for their kitchen at a warehouse for 50% of retail… but they “felt cheap” so they took it back and paid full retail for the same table. Sounds crazy, I know people who do this and they need help… the couple mentioned was in a finical crisis and it wasn’t from buying “luxury” it was trying to use shopping and material possessions to fill a void.

When I buy things I always compare high to low to get the best value. If I travel I will check rates that range from the 4 Seasons to Best Western… why? Because I have gotten the best suite (the luxury bridal… this was a “wedding” hotel) at a Double Tree, cheaper than the cheapest priced room at the Holiday Inn. I have gotten nice rooms at Hilton and Hyatt at prices comparable to Days Inn or Best Western. Where would you rather stay?

People frequently assume I am a label snob… when I had to get a flower girl ensemble for my daughter, my friends mother said, “You don’t have to go to a fancy dept store trying to impress anybody… you can get something nice at JC Penny or Sears.”

Well a low quality dress at Penny was $50… I got a Jessica Mc Clintock dress, Sam & Libby sandals, underwear, hair accessories, and purse for less than $70… all from a very high-end dept store.

If I was limited in my thinking, it would have never occurred to me to check the high-end store… because I would assume that there wasn’t anything there that I could afford. All totaled I would have spent roughly twice as much at Penny’s for much lower quality.

I eat out on the weekends usually at restaurants were the tab is $50-100 per person with drinks… for me it is a waste of money to eat fast/convenience food everyday and spend 50-100 week doing that. I would rather eat at home during the week and splurge on something that I can’t prepare at home and have a memorable dining experience. So when we see a restaurant reviewed I have been there already… where as my friends who eat out everyday ask, “How can you afford to do that”.

It’s not that I HAVE more it is often what I choose to do with it.

Sidenote: @ charli… girl I LOVE my CC California tees… there is no substitute for them… the layering is the big thing they are so versatile… I am a big girl and don’t like to wear my arms out they have long tees that I can layer with tanks… I can wear their tanks layered with or without a bra look sexy and be supported.

I have tried on knock-offs of C&C Cali from Victoria Secret, Target and H&M… waste of money not the same. I have even tried more expensive comparable tees… these girls have it on lock. These will never go out of style… modern classics. ^_^ ~W

Moderator W
03-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Personal attacks are prohibited on this site. This thread has been edited. Please stay on topic without disrespecting other members.

tangytic
03-17-2005, 04:36 AM
buying the best doesn't always have to mean full price
I just paid $4.99 for an Italian leather handbag at the thrift store around the corner from me
this pocketbook is practically new
the thrift stores I shop at are frequented by folks driving mercedes, bmw, and Lexus vehicles
I grew up around jewish people and their motto was "never pay full price for anything, always search for a deal"
I listened

REDeemed
03-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by LBellatrix@Feb 21 2005, 04:57 PM
I agree with the general tone of the article. BUT...

When I left home my mother told me to always buy the best I could afford. So why did it take me SEVENTEEN YEARS to finally get a decent skillet? I don't even want to think about how many cheap-azz skillets I went through before I got up off my wallet and bought a Calphalon 12-inch no-stick. And I am NOT SORRY. You hear? You ain't never SEEN anybody so excited about some damn COOKWARE! :lol:

Na-unh, girl! I'm right with you when I purchased my All-Clad set! :lol: They cost way more than I had EVER paid for ANY other pot or pan, but, they will last till Jesus comes back! :D

REDeemed
03-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Wow. I never realized it was this serious! There are some things that I go name brand with--I love Nine West and BCBG shoes--but short of that, if it's cute, and it fits, and I can afford it, it's going home. I will hit up Ross and Marshalls way faster than I will it up Macy's or Nordie's. And when I do go into the latter stores, I go to the clearance rack right away. I think sometimes these items are not always priced based on higher quality, but are priced that high because they can be, and because they know people will pay for them. To each her own, though. If you can pay your bills, save, and tithe (for those of us that subscribe to the notion) and drop $200 on some shoes, do you! :D