PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Work?

yome
02-22-2005, 04:52 PM
I keep getting into these talks with my mother about being "promotable" at work and how if i wear my natural hair I wont be. She has nothing against me being natural but becauseI work in the corporate world, she says that the white man runs the world and corporate america, which is true, so if a person doesn't assimilate, they can't get anywhere when white people are in charge, and where i work, the white man is definitely in charge. She was saying the more you look like them, the farther you can go and the more unlike them you look, you wont advance. The purpose in posting is to find out WHERE DO YOU WORK? I'm not talking to students who have part time or temporary jobs, I'm speaking to the women who have careers? I have seen several posts about people getting jobs and interviewing with natural hair but I wanted to know specifically WHERE do you work?

KRE8TIV
02-22-2005, 04:58 PM
I work the front desk. I am the first impression of the company. I sport my (teenage) locs proudly and everyone that comes in (including the big wigs) sees them and compliments me on how they're growing so much. My hair is a conversation starter way before they even tell me who and what they are here for.

Dolliesdaughter
02-22-2005, 05:48 PM
That is old school thinking.

southerncurl
02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
I work at home, i get to look as crazy as I want.

napturallyme
02-22-2005, 05:58 PM
I am an attorney for the Chicago Transit Authority. That assimilation theory is a bunch of bs

EarthyDiva
02-22-2005, 06:00 PM
I am a psychotherapist in a large hospital.

ED

and I wore a megastar chunky puff to the 2nd interview. I think I had twists for the first.

It was all part of my charm :P .

vinny_46
02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by yome@Feb 22 2005, 08:52 AM
she says that the white man runs the world and corporate america, which is true, so if a person doesn't assimilate, they can't get anywhere when white people are in charge, and where i work, the white man is definitely in charge. She was saying the more you look like them, the farther you can go and the more unlike them you look, you wont advance.

dayum, dayum, dayum :icon_headshake:

I work at the front desk as a receptionist. I had about 1/2 inch of hair when I interviewed for the job.

Does yt want a bald woman with thinning hair that is hanging on to a ponytail weave for dear life? :huh:

nicolelarri
02-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I work for a telecommunications company and have been promoted twice since starting and I have been natural the entire time. I dont think hair has anything to do with it and if a company holds someone back because of hair than thats a company I wouldnt want to work for.

Applejacks
02-22-2005, 06:03 PM
i work for the most profitable financial institution in the world, and i've been promoted twice since becoming natural (December '03). the only people who have EVER commented on my hair being unprofessional are black women who are my subordinates. i really, really wish that 'we' would stop telling each other that being black is unprofessional.. :angry: what am i supposed to do with my full lips and wide nose? do i need to go bleach my skin too?!?!?!?!?!?!

AJ

tjolims
02-22-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm a development & pr officer for a large non-profit ministry.

Before that, I was a sales professional.

Before that, I was a case manager for Medicaid.

Before that, I did tech support.

I've also temped as a receptionist for various companies, some of them *very* conservative and good-ol-boy.

Didn't have any of these jobs for very long(except for the most recent), but my hair was never an issue...and I freeform afro(think how Lenny Kravitz' hair used to be) almost all of the time.

southerncurl
02-22-2005, 06:07 PM
what was true for your mothers time isnt true anymore.
white folks dont care as much about our hair as we think they do.
its black folks unfortunately that give onto this assimilation crap and perpetuate it to the DEATH.

show employers that you are an individual and you have the confidence to be yourself.

BTW I worked as a program manager 4 years ago, in an all white office, my locs were to my waist and nobody had a problem with it, no, I didnt wear it pinned up, I wore them down everyday. this was a very stuffy company too.. :afro:

nappy_crown
02-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I work for the Federal Government ( Environmental Protection Agency) and my hair has never been a problem. When I started working here..I basicly had just shaved my hair and had a fade. Most of the black people that work here have some form of natural hair or hairstyle...and that includes upper management. As long as your hair is neat, clean, and healthy...what's the big deal?

Lameena
02-22-2005, 06:18 PM
I work as a school administrator in a large predominately white school system. I have not have any problem with moving up. In this school system it is all about where you went to graduate school. i wear a puff and big shake and go's. there are sisters with locs and twa's everywhere

bajanempress
02-22-2005, 06:37 PM
My dad told me I wouldn't get a job with my hair- he retired at the end of 2004 from being a Human resources manager- so I guess he wouldn't have hired you ro me- but I got a job easily and kept it for two years.

This isn't relevant because neither myself nor my dad worked in the USA but it does show that one this mindset is wrong and two many of the folks that think like that are on their way out of the workforce.

Bless

idia12
02-22-2005, 06:41 PM
I am a veterinarian and never felt discrimated against by employers. Most of my clients compliment me on my hair . Ithink most people(white) are accepting of natural styles. Mores so than black people sometimes.

jmnappy
02-22-2005, 06:41 PM
It's been almost four years of nappiness for me, and I still haven't had to perm for food.

I work in the accounting department of a large widely known health care facility. I make more money now than I did when I had a relaxer. :D

Q_anointed
02-22-2005, 06:44 PM
WELL IVE JUST BECOME UNEMPLOYED.....I WAS A HOSPITAL CORPSMAN IN THE NAVY AND I'M GLAD I OUT!!!!! NEXT MISSION GET BSN DEGREE..

Q

WWW.FOTKI.COM/QANOINTED

nvsnot
02-22-2005, 06:57 PM
I work for a department in the governor's office. I receive nothing but compliments on my hair since becoming natural. In fact, one white male said that my hair looks very professional (i was wearing a fro that day). There are very important people in and out of my office all day long. Some don't comment at all, but most say how much they love my hair.

I think other races look at natural african american men and women and appreciate the diversity of our hair.

ReezGirl
02-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I work in financial/investment services at a large banking institution. I've never had a problem, at least it has never been brought to my attention.

jerseygurl
02-22-2005, 07:10 PM
im an admin assist to the sales coordinator for a large landscaping company in south jersey. there are 3 black women here and im the only natural. i always get compliments on my hair, even when i think im having a not-so-good hair day. i would say personality and how well you get along with co-workers reigns above how your hair is styled. :rolleyes:

NappyNiece
02-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I work at an outpatient sports medicine clinic and a high school. The teenage athletes I work with LOVE my hair. I must agree, the caucasians I work with seem more accepting.
The AA women seem the most judgemental, especially the mothers of my athletes. I think they see it as juvenille and unprofessional. BLAH!

NATURALEE
02-22-2005, 07:14 PM
I work in an elementary school as a computer lab manager for the last 9yrs ( soon to be a classroom teacher) I have never had any problems being natural. I agree that the assimilation theory is total bs. Naturals are everywhere and we are here to stay like it or not. We will not given in to people and their opinions. -_- -_-

lvnmykinks
02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I am a Marketing Rep for a hearing aid company. I went on my first interview with a chunky puff.
I visit doctors offices and speak at insurance company sales meetings. Never had a problem.

Unfortunately the people that have the most problems with my hair are black folks.

When I used to sell advertising, I had a wealthy relative of mine tell me that she wouldn't do business with me with my hair "like that".
If she only knew.

tran68
02-22-2005, 07:22 PM
I work at a consulting firm. There are soooo many naturals joining the firm these days! I think around here skill matters more than hair. :) I've been promoted twice since I've been here and the first time was when I had a big chopped to a TTTWA. There are many other naturals who've been promoted from Consultant to Managerial positions with free form locs, bradelocz, BAAs, chunky fro's, etc.....

Gloria
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
The main people who think that nappy hair hold black people back in the corporate world is BLACK PEOPLE. I am a recent graduate, started my journey 2 years ago and I have gotten two jobs since then. The white people that I work with don't talk about my hair, they talk about my strong work ethic and nice personality.

yome
02-22-2005, 07:39 PM
I am so glad to hear all of these responses. Listening to my mother was very discouraging. I work as an account manager for an insurance company which is in the process of being bought out and I have been where a wig, during these winter months and as it grows from the big chop. I plan on wearing it completely in the summer. I was really worried because everybody's job is at stake because of the buy out, which is finalizing in the summer, and I didn't want that to affect my chances of keeping my job. I have some encouragement now, thank you, but please continue posting. And I completely agree that this thought process is absurd and old fashioned, but it was starting to get to me.

Nappalonia
02-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Feb 22 2005, 12:01 PM
dayum, dayum, dayum :icon_headshake:

I agree, I wish BLACK people would stop spreading this mess, assimilate or you get nowhere, please, look around, there are many many Black women who wear their hair natural and have great, good paying jobs/careers/positions, husbands, businesses, etc........ this site alone is enough to put all those myths about Black women with Natural Hair to rest :2cents: :2cents:

I know you respect your moms oppinion, but please don't feed into that nonesense!

:pop:

mgtgcc
02-22-2005, 07:46 PM
I work in a HIGHLY conservative firm/office and my client list reads like the who's, who of Fortune 500. My clients are interested in how much money i can make them. PERIOD.

While I don't discount that racism is alive and well in Corporate America, you perpetuate the racism by trying to conform to someone else's standard in order to get by. Stop worrying about whether your hair will stop your professional opportunities/growth. Concentrate your efforts towards internal development to achieve the success you desire.

Jazitones
02-22-2005, 07:51 PM
I am the Senior Financial person in my office, meet and greet other seniors on a daily basis. I really do believe it is how well you represent yourself to individuals.

Since I have been natural I have several interviews for jobs and had some good offers nappy head and all. :P

Concentrate your efforts towards internal development to achieve the success you desire.

I love this and this is so, so True.

Nappalonia
02-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by mgtgcc@Feb 22 2005, 01:46 PM
While I don't discount that racism is alive and well in Corporate America, you perpetuate the racism by trying to conform to someone else's standard in order to get by. Stop worrying about whether your hair will stop your professional opportunities/growth. Concentrate your efforts towards internal development to achieve the success you desire.

:smil3f72836ee752e:

yome
02-22-2005, 07:55 PM
(why did I not edit my second post? when I read it back it made no sense)
I meant to say that I have been wearing a wig for a while and will be wearing MY OWN hair, no more wig, in the summer time. Now that it is the length I like better, about 4 1/2 inches long, I figured I would just keep it covered until it gets warm out.

TrickieTam
02-22-2005, 07:57 PM
I work at JCPenney Hair Salon. I'm a HairStylist :afro:

s3grace
02-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I was worried about going natural for the same reasons, and my Mom told me the same thing, that it didn't fit the corporate image, that I should chop after I got my first real job. But, I got so tired of my relaxed ends that I chopped at my temp job as a receptionist. Then they turned around and hired me as a systems coordinator in a very large department. I work for a large pharmceutical company. I have only recieved one wrong comment, saying I looked like a homeless peron, but I didn't worry about it, and nobody else said anything. They get used to it. Also, they always compliment me on my new styles. Remember, It's all about your confidence level, you teach people how to treat you. If you act like a professional, that's how they'll treat you.

S3grace

ohsoprecious
02-22-2005, 08:03 PM
I work for the state of Florida. I have never had a problem with wearing my natural hair. When I started working here I was fried dyed and laid to the side :lol: . I went through my tranisition and big chop here. I don't believe in conforming yourself into something you're not, that's played out, especially to please somebody else. We went went through this 100 years ago and it has been passed down from generation to generation, that we aren't good enough, that we need to look more like them, no, we don't. And as long as we keep conforming ourselves to be "presentable" for another race of people we will never be able to change what society thinks about our nappy hair. It's time to change that old mindset. God is in control of the situation wear your hair however you please, because your hair has nothing to do with how you perform as an employee. And if they don't want you to work in corporate America because of your hair, sue the socks off of them.

Be cool and most of all be yourself.

naturalay
02-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by yome@Feb 22 2005, 04:52 PM
I keep getting into these talks with my mother about being "promotable" at work and how if i wear my natural hair I wont be. She has nothing against me being natural but becauseI work in the corporate world, she says that the white man runs the world and corporate america, which is true, so if a person doesn't assimilate, they can't get anywhere when white people are in charge, and where i work, the white man is definitely in charge. She was saying the more you look like them, the farther you can go and the more unlike them you look, you wont advance.

So sad!!

As far as i am concerned i work in the CORPORATE WORLD i work in a very white environnment and my hair has never ever been an issue since my big chop :)

olly300
02-22-2005, 08:25 PM
The only people who have ever said I won't get a job because of my natural curly hair are black and have less qualifications then me.

I work in IT and noticed that the people who have the most influence in hiring (white males) are not interested in the hair on my head but on my skills.

If you think about it white people who don't have any black friends/family members only know what is a "normal" hair style by what they see in the media which includes your occupation's trade press adverts. If you look through such a paper you are more likely to see a black woman with a natural hair style than a black woman with a fried head of relaxed hair with bald patches.

naturalay
02-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by olly300@Feb 22 2005, 08:25 PM
and noticed that the people who have the most influence in hiring (white males) are not interested in the hair on my head but on my skills.

Thanks for adding that.
Just this morning my boss (a white female) was congratulating me for my good job :afro:

nu-curl
02-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by naturalay@Feb 22 2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks for adding that.
Just this morning my boss (a white female) was congratulating me for my good job :afro:

I work in a law firm, in the heart of DC... I am 1/3 Black people affiliated with my firm, and my bosses are older white men, and women... and I am napptural as a mofo! :afro:

My mom did it too, when I was transitioning, very concerned about my future, and thankfully so... but times have changed in that mindset.

I would never care about what anyone would say to me about my hair... and they know the real... if they're thinking it, they better keep it to themselves, b/c it's discriminatory. ;)

nu-curl

linette411
02-28-2005, 10:27 PM
I work at an Architectural Firm. I was hesitate in going natural because of where I worked but quickly realized that it was my knowledge, skill and dedication to our clients that maintained my job not my hair.

DymSx
03-02-2005, 03:39 AM
I work in the admissions office at a Northeastern university. I tend to rock head scarves when at work and no one really cares. A majority of the time I'm out of sight anyways. :dunno:

xmasgurl
03-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Being "older" I can understand your mother's feelings. I also used to make similar comments to my son. I was afraid of the same thing when I decided to go natural about a year ago after about 25 years of perming. But I figured at my age & stage in my career, what the heck!! It is the confidence and pride of "younguns" like everyone on this site that is breaking down that stereotype. So keep on doing your thing. I agree with the previous poster who said "If you act like a professional, that's how they'll treat you"

And thanks to all of you for giving me the confidence to wear my "own" hair. I still have some "nervous" days when I wear new styles. But you really can teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes us a little longer to get it :P

Blackstar
03-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by yome@Feb 22 2005, 05:52 PM
I keep getting into these talks with my mother about being "promotable" at work and how if i wear my natural hair I wont be. She has nothing against me being natural but becauseI work in the corporate world, she says that the white man runs the world and corporate america, which is true, so if a person doesn't assimilate, they can't get anywhere when white people are in charge, and where i work, the white man is definitely in charge. She was saying the more you look like them, the farther you can go and the more unlike them you look, you wont advance. The purpose in posting is to find out WHERE DO YOU WORK? I'm not talking to students who have part time or temporary jobs, I'm speaking to the women who have careers? I have seen several posts about people getting jobs and interviewing with natural hair but I wanted to know specifically WHERE do you work?

that's unbelievable!!!!! assimilate!!!! she's speaking from a position of fear adn insecurity. it's an attitude that show's she herself doesn't have any faith that your skills are enough and that the world will see it because u have the strength to break through barriers.

Originally posted by Applejacks+Feb 22 2005, 07:03 PM-->
i work for the most profitable financial institution in the world, and i've been promoted twice since becoming natural (December '03). the only people who have EVER commented on my hair being unprofessional are black women who are my subordinates. i really, really wish that 'we' would stop telling each other that being black is unprofessional.. :angry: what am i supposed to do with my full lips and wide nose? do i need to go bleach my skin too?!?!?!?!?!?!

AJ

[/b]

Originally posted by bajanempress@Feb 22 2005, 07:37 PM
My dad told me I wouldn't get a job with my hair- he retired at the end of 2004 from being a Human resources manager- so I guess he wouldn't have hired you ro me- but I got a job easily and kept it for two years.
This isn't relevant because neither myself nor my dad worked in the USA but it does show that one this mindset is wrong and two many of the folks that think like that are on their way out of the workforce.

Bless

Originally posted by Gloria@Feb 22 2005, 08:34 PM
The main people who think that nappy hair hold black people back in the corporate world is BLACK PEOPLE. I am a recent graduate, started my journey 2 years ago and I have gotten two jobs since then. The white people that I work with don't talk about my hair, they talk about my strong work ethic and nice personality.

speak the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mgtgcc@Feb 22 2005, 08:46 PM
I work in a HIGHLY conservative firm/office and my client list reads like the who's, who of Fortune 500. My clients are interested in how much money i can make them. PERIOD.

<!--QuoteBegin-ohsoprecious@Feb 22 2005, 09:03 PM
I work for the state of Florida. I have never had a problem with wearing my natural hair. When I started working here I was fried dyed and laid to the side :lol: . I went through my tranisition and big chop here. I don&#39;t believe in conforming yourself into something you&#39;re not, that&#39;s played out, especially to please somebody else. We went went through this 100 years ago and it has been passed down from generation to generation, that we aren&#39;t good enough, that we need to look more like them, no, we don&#39;t. And as long as we keep conforming ourselves to be "presentable" for another race of people we will never be able to change what society thinks about our nappy hair. It&#39;s time to change that old mindset. God is in control of the situation wear your hair however you please, because your hair has nothing to do with how you perform as an employee. And if they don&#39;t want you to work in corporate America because of your hair, sue the socks off of them.

:smil3f72836ee752e: :smil3f72836ee752e:

y&#39;all are truth speakers.

Nappytop
03-16-2005, 08:14 PM
I work at an elementary school in Atlanta. Atlanta is the Black Mecca so it&#39;s not strange to see blacks with natural hair.

nat_girl
03-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Well Well, there are a lot of talented working ladies here. You all keep it up.

Puffalishous
03-26-2005, 03:55 PM
I work for an insurance company and I have never had any problem at work. My manager is a black female who wears her natural hair pressed. I think she feels in her position that she needs to wear her hair like this. I remember before she became promoted, she would sometimes wear her hair curly. I think she has become a manager, she has only worn her hair curly once or twice and we are going on four years. Her manager is black and she wears her hair relaxed and colored. One black female who used to be my assistant manager made a comment about two weeks ago about having to do something with my hair and my manager was like, No theres nothing wrong with it. I get more comments from white people than I do from blacks. I get alot of stares now but I feel that&#39;s because they are secretly wishing that they could be natural too. So if anyone asks me anything about my hair, I tell them how it feels and how I do not feel conformed to a particular style as I did when my hair was relaxed.

butafly_princess
03-29-2005, 02:38 PM
i work for a utility company as a customer service rep and when i came to work with my beautiful naturally nappy hair my co workers love it but not as much as i do :P

LaTia
03-29-2005, 02:43 PM
I&#39;m a medical secretary at a large hospital

wcgraham
03-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Yay for you, xmasgurl...I appreciate your confidence!

It&#39;s kind of funny how our parents forget their own experiences. I remember my mom sporting a BAA into my teens...I don&#39;t think I&#39;m making any more or any less of a statement than she was.

But when I decided to go natural, she kept asking me what I was going to "do" with my hair...huh?

Anyway, I&#39;m a technical writer for the largest HVAC company in the country, it&#39;s never hampered me. In fact I work with some really nice people, my dept secretary (WW) is totally fascinated with my hair and always asks me how I do it when I come in with something new.

nattydread7
03-29-2005, 02:58 PM
i work at a major university. i had an interview 4 months ago in the exec vp&#39;s office and i sported my fro & a suit. the person that i interviewed with complimented me on my hair. but my cousin on the other hand asked me prior to my interview how i was going to wear my hair because she didn&#39;t think that a fro was "interview appropriate."

i&#39;ve found that i get more hair love from my white counterparts than i get from &#39;ussin&#39;s&#39;. i have never had a problem with my hair at work. i sport baby locs now and i get compliments daily.

silvi
03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
I work for the Federal Government, USDA Forest Service. We are a very conservative agency and I sport my baby locs with pride. I have not had a single negative comment from management. However, one of my co-workers in PR is considering going natural and said that "I don&#39;t think the supervisor would ...." I actually don&#39;t remember her exact words because I was already seeing red. I reminded her that she should she have a problem have him put it in writing, and that would effectively end his career!

:pop:

anabwi
03-30-2005, 01:06 PM
I work for my spouse and 80% of his clients are White. When I did the BC 6 years ago, the only negative comments were from our Black clients. I now have a 3 inch Afro and I still get positive comments and queries from White clients, "girl, when you gonna relax your hair" comments from Blacks. Can&#39;t win !!

saga30311
04-02-2005, 01:49 AM
web developer for a fortune 100, and there are several naturals there, male and female. no one&#39;s ever approached any of us. it&#39;s funny, because when another natural starts there, we tend to check in, just to say - yes, we&#39;re here, so u CAN work for this huge corp & be natural. :afro:

terriela
04-02-2005, 02:02 AM
I&#39;m a nurse at a pediatric office. My hair has never been a problem. As a matter of fact, my white co-workers give me more compliments on my hair since I&#39;ve gone natural. Who would&#39;ve thought

Mahoganyqt
04-02-2005, 02:05 AM
I&#39;m a pharmacist/pharmacy manager at a mass merchandiser. I&#39;ve never had any issues with my hair.

mutt_honi
04-02-2005, 02:13 AM
i am a fourth grade teacher in atlanta. i will say that my first year teaching, i worked at a school where the principals and most everyone else were real southern. i used to wear my BAA with a platinum spot in the front and oone day my instructional specialist looked at my head and said "did you comb your hair this morning?" i said "no, why?" she told me to remember that i work with young children, and that was that. i told her that i never comb my hair and that she would hate to see what it looked like combed because then it would be really big and i turned on my heels and walked away. schools are usually a little more liberal though and i can get away with what i want to.

Laluna
04-02-2005, 06:13 AM
I&#39;m a nurse in a 7000 inmate prison facility, and it&#39;s scary how many inmates adore napptural hair. :unsure:

The only cirteria at my place of employment is that if my hair is past my shoulders, that it be worned in some sort of up do.

BLESS7
04-02-2005, 06:21 AM
I work for a large utility company. There are only a few of &#39;us&#39; working there and I believe I&#39;m 1 of only 2 or 3 naturals--although one of the sistahs I saw today REALLY needs to consider going natural because the ponytail she was wearing was hanging on for dear life to the few strands of relaxed hair she had.

Since I&#39;m currently transitioning I&#39;ve been wearing mostly shake and go&#39;s with one of those elastic headbands. Like most everyone else have said--I don&#39;t get any negative comments from my white co workers. It&#39;s always the black folk--the women--that have something to say but me with my personality nipped that right in the bud. I am who I am and I let the one person that had the nerve to say something about my growing nappiness know what was up. She hasn&#39;t had anything negative to say again. :lol:

mufasa
04-30-2005, 06:29 AM
I work for an IT company in Europe. I am the only black person in my group. Now I wear braids/weaves. Currently, the job is such that one must obtain information from more senior colleagues in order to survive - they can give it to you, or they cannot. It does not matter. In the end, you are responsible for completing the task at hand.

Years ago, a colleague saw me with my own hair (in the US). BTW, I did not need information from this colleague to do my job as I was in the States. He said: it was too much hair, I needed to cut it and that I looked better the other way :huh:

In the current position, I have worn the afro puff to work once and got a response of "interesting look". This was from a colleauge from whom I must rely upon to get information. I then converted back.

It is good to see others use their own hair though :P

BrittanyanJ
05-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by ohsoprecious@Feb 22 2005, 02:03 PM
I work for the state of Florida. I have never had a problem with wearing my natural hair. When I started working here I was fried dyed and laid to the side :lol: . I went through my tranisition and big chop here. I don&#39;t believe in conforming yourself into something you&#39;re not, that&#39;s played out, especially to please somebody else. We went went through this 100 years ago and it has been passed down from generation to generation, that we aren&#39;t good enough, that we need to look more like them, no, we don&#39;t. And as long as we keep conforming ourselves to be "presentable" for another race of people we will never be able to change what society thinks about our nappy hair. It&#39;s time to change that old mindset. God is in control of the situation wear your hair however you please, because your hair has nothing to do with how you perform as an employee. And if they don&#39;t want you to work in corporate America because of your hair, sue the socks off of them.

I was imagining...what if "they" started trying to look like us? tan creams and electric-shocked hair to get a fro? to me, thats the equivalent of AAW relaxing their hair...doesnt look too good....conformity is bad...

BrittanyanJ
05-07-2005, 02:54 AM
im still a student, but I work at a cracker barrel part time and the customers LOVE my hair! Its funny, I was never afraid to wear my hair natural (and I hesitate to say this but) b/c growing up in a predominately white community, as a child all I heard was how cool my hair was. Later on I went to boarding school, permed my hair (just to see) hated it, but it was my friends from all-black communities that were like :shocker: YOU CANT DO THAT and that is so sad, but true...I want to be the first au natural black TV anchorwoman somewhere...Im sure there might be a few but I havent seen any. Think I have a chance? :D

monamlisa
05-11-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by ohsoprecious@Feb 22 2005, 03:03 PM

:pointlaugh:

Ellann4
05-11-2005, 03:21 AM
I&#39;m a Legal Assistant. The lawyers do not care about my hair; they care about whether or not I have carefully and accurately prepared their documents for trial. I&#39;ve been before the bench assisting my bosses while rockin&#39; my 2 month old Sisterlocks. I didn&#39;t get one funny look...not even from the Judge who was a FINE handsome black man.

CreoleSun
05-11-2005, 05:17 AM
Your mother as well as old school folks with that mindless mentality need to read the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972, Section 703(a)(2) of Title VII in which Congress enacted the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII of that Act, entitled the Fair Employment Practices Act, was intended to eliminate job discrimination based on the following protected classes: (1) race, (2) color, (3) religion, (4) sex, and (5) national origin.

Or pick up an application that sums all of that...better than that please tell her to read the case of NACCP, Newark Branch v. Town of Harrison, New Jersey, this case isnt about hair but its about race employment discrimination.

and i definitely agree with everyone here...your mother&#39;s statement is so played out like IceCube&#39;s jerry curl...&#39;spritz spritz&#39;

future lawyer in the making?...i wish

nappylo
05-11-2005, 05:29 AM
I am a Program Manager for a company called Kidco Travel Club, and I work with professionals in all types of fields all day everyday, my hair doesn&#39;t affect any part of my job.

Nappylo

Barbie
05-15-2005, 06:27 PM
I am a middle school math teacher. I wear everything from braids, twists, twist-outs, and puffs. I had two co-workers to chuckle when I wore cornrows during my first year, but they soon came to me later and admitted they were jealous that had such a nice style to wear in this humid weather. Other than that I have no problems what so ever; my principal loves my styles and she&#39;s a 62 year old white lady. My students love my styles also.

roxygirl
05-17-2005, 05:47 AM
I&#39;m a magazine editor.

The vibe there is creative and pretty laid-back, but I do have to go to national conventions, meetings, etc., and all I hear are positive comments about my twistouts, &#39;fros or anything other style I wear. :Cool_049:

chocolate1
05-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Ellann4@May 10 2005, 07:21 PM
I&#39;m a Legal Assistant. The lawyers do not care about my hair; they care about whether or not I have carefully and accurately prepared their documents for trial. I&#39;ve been before the bench assisting my bosses while rockin&#39; my 2 month old Sisterlocks. I didn&#39;t get one funny look...not even from the Judge who was a FINE handsome black man.

Thank you!! That is just what I have been looking for. I have an interview tomorrow for an agency to place me in the legal field and although I am in love with my new and improved twists, I was starting to think maybe I should take them down for the day and pull it back into a pony puff. But now I will have my purple headband on with my purple outfit and be confident that I can do any job they place before me.

charise
05-18-2005, 12:44 AM
I&#39;m the Government Liaison for a construction managment firm. I wear my hair however I like. I&#39;ve worn the fro, ponypuff and frohawk to work. My boss likes my hair and my style, and besides in my job, it&#39;s more about relationship building and shmoozing people, so I think that&#39;s why he really doesn&#39;t care. When I enter a room, I really enter a room...When I leave a meeting, I&#39;m always remembered, cuz I don&#39;t blend in. If they remember me, then they remember the firm...

kinkytexasgirl
05-27-2005, 02:08 AM
unfortunately, i feel that location has a lot to do with your employers views on natural hair. In the past ive had to burn my hair straight in order to get a job. once i was at whatever place long enough I would slowly but surely introduce them to my kinkyness. as of now im a manager at a very upscale salon and day spa( i was a receptionist for a few years). In this situation i feel that my hair helped me. seeing someone that looked like me at the frontdesk balanced the atmosphere. As of now im still the only person with natural hair. I ve never been pressured to change nor have i felt that my hair was a hinder. As a matter of fact im proud to say that Ive encouraged quite a few clients to go natural.

Reflection Journey
05-27-2005, 07:18 AM
I work at a military hospital and i wear everything from braids, twists, twist-outs, and puffs. My first interview i wore my hair in two strand twists. If you go in with confidence and show them the real you the first time and you get hired at least you&#39;ll know they hired you for your skills and not by judging you by your hair.

~*welekevu*~
06-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I&#39;m still a student, but about to start a job on the floor of a med-surg unit at a hospital. I toured the unit hijabi, and got a lot of stares, but other than that it was pretty chill.

:2cents: wele

bollyhair
06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by NappyNiece@Feb 22 2005, 07:11 PM
I work at an outpatient sports medicine clinic and a high school. The teenage athletes I work with LOVE my hair. I must agree, the caucasians I work with seem more accepting.
The AA women seem the most judgemental, especially the mothers of my athletes. I think they see it as juvenille and unprofessional. BLAH!

ITA! I work in a predominantly WHITE real estate office (and by that, I mean that there are maybe 6 Blacks out of 60 or so) and I no matter HOW I style my hair, I can count at least 3+ WHITES coming to "pet" me and "coo" over my hair, with every ? imaginable ("how do u do that?", "so,...is that YOUR hair?", and my ALL-TIME FAVORITE: "I wish that WE could do that to our hair!**sigh**) But generally, the comments from the WHITES are all positive, though sometimes I feel almost VIOLATED as they try to pick through my hair, but the comments and looks that I have gotten from the two or so BLACK women were far less positive. When I used to rock a chemical fire cream in my hair, it was all, "Oh, your hair looks good", and then when rocking a weave, it was, "Your hair looks good, GIRL,...who did it?" But now w/ the 2-strand twists and other natural styles, it&#39;s either NO COMMENTS WHATSOEVER or DIRTY LOOKS, or NO COMMENTS WHATSOEVER & DIRTY LOOKS! Almost like my wearing my own hair in it&#39;s natural state is not only "too ethnic" for these "Sisters", but may just cause the other WHITES in the office to start to look at THEM and then they&#39;ll wonder, "Hey,...is YOUR hair like that too?" Almost like I&#39;ve given away their secrets! Let me add that I am not one of those naturals that has a problem w/ other women relaxing their hair--I don&#39;t get mad because I DON&#39;T CARE! That is THEIR choice, (though I think MY hair is better off-I&#39;m just not trying to convert them). But I feel like, DON&#39;T COME UP TO ME AND BE LIKE, "Hey GIRL, who did your hair?" when I have the fakeness (chemical fire cream or weave) when you have a problem when I KEEP IT REAL! You ain&#39;t my girl! :afro: :dunno: :doh

nappydee78
06-28-2005, 10:44 PM
I too work for a predominantly white organization; however, I&#39;ve never had a problem with people commenting on my hair.

When I interviewed with them I was wearing a press and curl, then when I started I had kinky twists which went to individuals, then I sported a wild fro with curl, and then did the press and curl again, then a short fro and now locs.

The only question or comment I ever received was "Is that your hair?" Because I changed it up so much! :lol:

sweetpotato2100
07-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by BrittanyanJ@May 6 2005, 08:54 PM
im still a student, but I work at a cracker barrel part time and the customers LOVE my hair! Its funny, I was never afraid to wear my hair natural (and I hesitate to say this but) b/c growing up in a predominately white community, as a child all I heard was how cool my hair was. Later on I went to boarding school, permed my hair (just to see) hated it, but it was my friends from all-black communities that were like :shocker: YOU CANT DO THAT and that is so sad, but true...I want to be the first au natural black TV anchorwoman somewhere...Im sure there might be a few but I havent seen any. Think I have a chance? :D

I have not seen an anchorwoman but, there is a lady with locs on the early show. I think she is the weatherlady.

sweetpotato2100
07-03-2005, 05:08 PM
It seems that a majority of you live in larger cities or on the east or west coast. My corporate experiences in the midwest were not so great. My natural hair and hairstyles seemed to be the hot topic among whites and blacks. For the record, I do not consier Ohio to be the midwest. But, I went to school there and I got the most postive responses to my hair from white people. I went to accounting conferences and interviewed with people and had no problems with my hair. HOWEVER, upon accepting a position with a Big 4 accounting firm in Kansas City, my experiences changed. They seemed threatened because of my confidence in my hair. I left corporate america and I am happy. From the response I received in other areas of the country, I never gave a thought to my hair being an issue here. Most of the people I worked with were from little towns in Kansas and Missouri and acted as if I was the first black person they knew.

giggleblue
07-07-2005, 09:03 PM
i&#39;m a college student, but during the school year, i work at a grocery store. some of my coworkers that are younger than me think that my hair is beautiful and ask how i am able to acheive some styles.

this summer i got two internships. one was in management and the other was in accounting. i accepted the accounting internship, because after all, it is my major. no one here ever comments on my hair. i styled my fro for the interview and got hired on the spot with both internships. but my resume is pretty impressive also... ;)

mrsloh
07-13-2005, 06:43 PM
IMO, It has alot to do with the company and what kind of people their money is coming from. I wore long braids to work at Cablevision as a CSR. I had braids when I interviewed and got the job and no one said anything to me about it. However, after the 6 weeks of training were over and I started work, the HR Manager came over to me and told me how much more professional I looked with my creamy cracked out hair... :dunno: (and she was a sista)

Although they won&#39;t say it, you never will know how people really feel about your hair...as long as no one makes it an issue about getting let go because of it - I personally wouldn&#39;t care. And if it did come down to that, I don&#39;t suppose I would want to work for that kind of company either because these days, there are way to many natural/professional women out there!

cirasis
08-08-2005, 03:49 AM
I am a nurse and I trained, live and work in a predominantly white area - not by choice. I was the only black face in my entire calss and everyone (classmates and patients alike) is facinated by my hair, from my braids to curly weaves to my current fro. They always pay me compliments and quiz me about my hairstyles (they are absolutely clueless) :lol: :lol: :lol: some even want to touch- NO! :afro: I love it :Cool_049:

ByHis Grace
08-20-2005, 08:54 PM
the branch office of a commercial bank

dee-grrl
08-30-2005, 06:50 AM
back-office of a brokerage firm :afro:

DSTDIVA
09-09-2005, 02:06 AM
I am a physical education teacher for grades K-12 with a predominately white kids and staff. My staff and my kids absolutely adore my hair...they are always asking how I get my hair to "do that"...I have one girl in the 9th grade who is black and natural...I am trying to tell her to never perm her hair, because it is just gorgeous!!

But I did have a small complex when I first starting wearing my hair &#39;out&#39; in fro&#39;s because it would cause such an uproar from the kids. I wasn&#39;t self-conscious about my hair, just about how the kids were making so many comments, that they were getting too riled up. But it was okay, my asst. headmaster told me she has no problem with my hair and likes it. They are all white and they just adore it (because they never see anything like that. Kindergarteners ask everyday if my hair is an afro?? I say no, this is my hair...they always ask, how does your hair get curly like that??? Boy, the marvels of our hair...lovely! :afro:

freelocks
09-16-2005, 08:22 AM
I am a second grade teacher in Brentwood, Long Island. This is my first year teaching 2nd. I taught 5th grade for 6 years. Boss switched people around. I actually like the lil ones better.

michelle1908
09-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by lvnmykinks@Feb 22 2005, 03:20 PM
I am a Marketing Rep for a hearing aid company. I went on my first interview with a chunky puff.
I visit doctors offices and speak at insurance company sales meetings. Never had a problem.

Unfortunately the people that have the most problems with my hair are black folks.

When I used to sell advertising, I had a wealthy relative of mine tell me that she wouldn&#39;t do business with me with my hair "like that".
If she only knew.

I totally agree. I work at a university in Teacher Education.

I had a previous conversation with another co-worker who was obviously displeased when I came to work with my TWA. I told her that I was going to let my hair grow, but it&#39;s not going to hang or anything. She asked, "So are you going to wear a fro?" I replied, "Maybe, or a variation therof...I may twist it and do other things with it." She apparently conveyed the twist part of the conversation to my boss, who is a really old school AA woman.

Today, my Dean said that my boss told him to convince me not to twist my hair... :angry:

Akenjeli
10-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by michelle1908+Sep 16 2005, 09:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lvnmykinks@Feb 22 2005, 03:20 PM

When I used to sell advertising, I had a wealthy relative of mine tell me that she wouldn&#39;t do business with me with my hair "like that".
If she only knew.

I had a previous conversation with another co-worker who was obviously displeased when I came to work with my TWA. I told her that I was going to let my hair grow, but it&#39;s not going to hang or anything. She asked, "So are you going to wear a fro?" I replied, "Maybe, or a variation therof...I may twist it and do other things with it." She apparently conveyed the twist part of the conversation to my boss, who is a really old school AA woman.

Today, my Dean said that my boss told him to convince me not to twist my hair... :angry:

[/b]

Peace and Blessings.

Quick note, that cant be done .. or give EEOC a call. (Come visit me. Headquarters is directly across from my job.) Chile pls .. let me walk up in there with my fro and they will really kill over. It truly saddens my spirit - our people truly need to be emancipated on many levels. Much success on your continued journey sis ... Ashe. Akenjeli

Scribetastic
10-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Well, I&#39;m a student now, but I was a university professor for 4 1/2 years previous to going back to school. So I don&#39;t buy that natural hair won&#39;t get you the job. It will, it just needs to look professional and natural hair can look professional. It definitely looks more professional than burnt out relaxed hair. :shocker:

_Empress_
10-04-2005, 01:15 PM
I&#39;m a civil engineer...working for the Government...Although I work in a feild that is predominantly male, I&#39;ve never been given the impression or told that my hair styles were unprofessional...My coworkers always give positive compliments

divared
10-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I work for a law firm (my personal emphasis in the firm is Sports/Entertainment Contract Law), yet I am not an attorney or paralegal by any means.

I was recently prmoted to First Associate
re Endorsement/Salary Contract Coordinator for NBA/NFL athletes and I would like to think it was because of the work that I do and quality of relationship that I maintain with professional athletes.

My job requires a lot of public presentations and public contact. If for one minute I thought my being natural would have a negative effect on my job I would have been thrown a chemical fire cream in my head a long time ago. But because I refuse to let my hair reflect my job, i&#39;ve been natural for almost a year now.

It&#39;s funny, I just received my promotion about 2 months ago but I was natural at least 6 months prior to that.

Just last month I did some major contract work for a very high-profile NBA player and the first thing he noticed about me was my color, not my hair. Not only was he not expecting to talk dollars with a sistah, he wasn&#39;t expecting this sistah to come as equipped and thorough as she did. Just as the meeting was over, then and only then did he comment on my hair saying that it really fits my face (on this day I was wearing a shake n&#39; go fro&#39;) and that he could tell that I took pride in my hair and my overall appearance.

So the way I see it, it&#39;s not how you wear your hair, whether it be permed, burnt or natural, it&#39;s the quality of your job performance and the content of your professional character. Anything else is trivial and hold no weight as far as I&#39;m concerned.

tonyelle
10-04-2005, 05:28 PM
I work as a Case Manager at a Prison. I was an Officer before then. I did that for 3 years and had this job for 2. I wasn&#39;t natural when I interviewed for the Case Manager position. I am going to apply for a supervisors position this week and I don&#39;t think that my hair will effect me as a person. Everyone knows I work hard and do my job. The people that are interviewing for the position I work along side with them, and I think this would be a plus for me. I know a lot of people will be applying for this position and since I just made my two year make (have to be in your position 2 years before applying for this job), there will be some others that have been there longer than me that may get it. And that&#39;s ok. It won&#39;t be because, she has nappy hair!

MahoganyJae
10-04-2005, 05:43 PM
I work at a large accounting firm. I have worked here since April. I have worn my hair slicked back with gel. After the first few months, I wore an afro, an afro puff, comb twists, and two strand twists. I get compliments from both blacks and white co-workers. I like diversity and I think that is a positive thing.

SouthernSuperWoman
10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I am an office manager for a natural stone (i.e. marble, granite, travertine, etc.) company and I am the only black person here in the office. I was really self-conscious when I did the BC. I wore a wig for the first week but those things are so hot and itchy that I said forget it.

Daughter-of-Diaspora
10-04-2005, 11:23 PM
I am an Instructor at a Technical (carrer based) College.
Prior to that, I worked in Dental offices. Never had a prob with how I wore my hair in the work place except for when I used to wear head wraps or any thing else to cover my head.

Funny how no one had or has any comments about my locks, braids, twist or my now twa, but back when I covered it up every one felt it neccesary to tell me to show some sort of proof (religous) to allow me to continue to cover my head <_< (of course I never would unless they made every one that wore anything else that was religious based ie a cross ect).

Tiauma
10-16-2005, 11:15 AM
I work for the United States Army and am currently deployed to Iraq. I have been natural since Oct of 2004....and it was a shock to all but I kept it really low and shaped. Now I am letting it grow out and the surprise is starting all over again.

bldelaney
10-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I am a Kindergarten teacher at a predominately white school. I&#39;m the only black person on our staff. I BCed on 6/10/05, and wear a TWA. When I went back to work in Aug. , I received lots of compliments from my co-workers about my short "curly perm". I let them know that it was my natural hair and not created by any chemical processing which seemed to amaze them!!! I&#39;ve even gotten a compliment from our superintendent. I&#39;ve yet to hear any negative comments , but I do get strange looks from some of the black parents I encounter during the day.

QueenMoe
10-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by michelle1908+Sep 16 2005, 08:19 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lvnmykinks@Feb 22 2005, 03:20 PM

If she only knew.

[/b]

:huh: Are you serious?! That&#39;s absolutely horrible. I work in Student Affairs at a HBCU, but prior to that I was at a predominantly white institution. I&#39;ve never had issues with my hair at work. If anything, the issues I&#39;ve dealt with in regards to my hair and the workplace have all been brought on by my own preoccupation with, and notions of, what I personally think is/isn&#39;t occupationally appropriate.

:icon_headshake: I can&#39;t believe someone would take it upon themselves to decide what&#39;s appropriate for you and then act on it by actually wasting your time and your Dean&#39;s time (and whomever else was involved) talking about it. I&#39;m sure everyone hasmore burning the hair straight issues to ted to than your hairstyle of choice. :angry: That realy makes me mad. How rude!

nappichulo
10-18-2005, 11:48 PM
I&#39;m a law student who has been on many interviews over the past few years, so I dont have a "career job" yet but I posted anyway cuz I have strong feelings about this:

I think the higher up the corporate ladder you go, the more of an attempt you should make to wear your hair in a permed/processed style for interviews UNLESS a natural style makes you look more attractive OR you would be devastated that you sold out like that just for a job offer.

Also, I have an Indian friend with beautiful curly hair who also gets told how "PROFESSIONAL" and how "great" she looks when she gets it blown out, So I dont think this just applies to Black people.

Reasons For My Opinion:
Research has shown that the racial prejudices/biases the majority of Americans harbor are nearly unanimous and unconscious, therefore a lot of people who will judge you on your hair dont even realize they do it. (and lots would prob. be horrified to realize they do it).

I&#39;m half Black (Bahamas), 1/4 latina (Puerto Rico), and 1/4 white (Ireland), so I am pale skinned with nappy hair meaning I can be taken for a variety of ethnicities depending on who is looking at me. Throughout my entire life I have seen a HUGE difference in how I get treated depending on my hair style, with the "White-i-Fied" permed/burnt hair having most people treat me the nicest, pulled back or "wild-looking/trendy/artistic" natural styles like puffs or out loose landing me in the middle, and the "blackest" styles like braids/having my head covered having people treat me less favorably.

[However, when the person I am interacting with is in one of the groups mentioned above, they are the nicest to me. But the majority of the peole who will hire me are going to be white, or minorities of the generation who says you need to perm your hair.]

Finally, I think recognizing the way that the world we live in operates "behind the scenes" strengthens our attempts to change it because then we as minorities can make informed and rational decisions on how to proceed. If we just pretend everything ACTUALLY IS a certain way just because we WANT it to be a certain way, we will just get stuck where we are and actually make things worse for ourselves in the long run by never attacking the roots of the problems that plague us and only treating the worst symptoms of it as they come up.

But just for the record, I WILL wear my hair naturally once I get my position.

ValleyOfDecision
10-19-2005, 05:34 AM
I know nappichulo :afro: , so for those who might jump on her "wearing my hair naturally" comment (&#39;cause it can so easily happen on this baord), she more than likely meant natural as in not getting it blown out or prressed &#39;cause she doesn&#39;t touch the chemical fire cream.

:afro:

KinkyB1216
11-12-2005, 03:54 AM
I work as a teacher/supervisor. Just did the BC on Oct. 28th and everyone was shocked.

w2goback
12-10-2005, 06:42 AM
I work in an investment bank and I wore my hair natural to my interview and I don&#39;t think they cared what I look like, they were more interested in my background and what I could bring to the table. I was offered the job that same afernoon. I must say i agree as with some of the other ladies, the people that seem to be most umcomfortable with my hair are my folks, they keep asking me are you going to wear your a wig etc, I was like no way, b/c if a company cannot accept me this way then this is not a company I want to work for, b/c if they will discriminate over something so small, what will they not do.

ysaiy
12-17-2005, 06:46 AM
As a teacher in Brooklyn with 99% African American, Caribbean and Latin American students, I believe it is my obligation to maintain my hair in a natural state. Just today, a student shared with me that she was going to get a chemical fire cream this weekend. My response was "I&#39;m sorry." She asked me why I was sorry. I told her it was because it&#39;s bad for her hair, it damages it and makes it unhappy. I then proceeded to compliment her for how nice she looked in braids.

Another student is proud to have me as her teacher because she identifies with the type of hair I have. I am always challenging these students notions of beauty with my funk. Yet another student had a really REALLY bad experience with a chemical fire cream where she lost most of her hair. After growing out her hair by keeping it braided, she has now started twisting it in an effort to loc her hair. I am proud of her.

As a leader of young people, I have to set an example in the choices I make regarding many aspects of my life that I never had to think about before. I guess I&#39;m a little spoiled seeing as there is no official dress code for teachers in NY and no real repercussions (at least in my experience) for maintaining natural afro hair as there may be in other lines of work. But I think setting this example is important everywhere.

caldwell.stephanie@gmail.com
08-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I&#39;m currently in the Texas Air National Guard I was active duty Air Force for 8 years. Our regulations do not make allowances for African American natural hair. I have a medium length curly fro and it&#39;s quite thick. I have to wear a hat whenever I&#39;m in uniform. The hats are not made for my hair and don&#39;t fit right and I have to battle with nit pickers on any given day. When I had a fade I was told my haircut was too mannish and that I need to grow it out. Of course I was contrary and didn&#39;t start growing it out for another 6 months. But when it grew out the next question was why don&#39;t I straighten the ish outta my hair with a burning chemical...my answer of course was for what and no one could say anything without appearing to be a donkey. I&#39;ve just learned from a friend stationed in Japan that they are making the personnel with locs cut them off. I&#39;ve asked many times why locs are not allowed and no one has an answer...it saddens me that African Americans can&#39;t express their individuality and serve their country... :Angry:

charet3
09-03-2006, 11:06 AM
I work at one of the Big 4 Accounting Firms as a professional. Companies are so big on Diversity now that I would be really surprised if your hair would be an issue. As long as it is clean and neat there shouldn&#39;t be a problem. I just received a nice raise and obviously my work performance played a role in my raise and not how I wear my hair. The negative comments will come from our own people. People of another race really don&#39;t care or know how our hair is suppose to be because either we have wigs, weaves, perms, braids or dreads in it. I have worn my hair in weaves, braids, perms, and wigs throughout my professional life so they don&#39;t really know if my natural hair is just another style I am wearing. So don&#39;t worry about that when going on an interview. Just go on the interview well prepared with answers and questions and smile, smile, smile. All they care about is can you do the job and are you a team player.

AmberSmith2
09-04-2006, 04:23 AM
what am i supposed to do with my full lips and wide nose? do i need to go bleach my skin too?[/b]

You better PREACH, girl!

This is exactly my line of reasoning. Big ol&#39; African booties don&#39;t fit in corporate either. Bootie-ectomy anyone?

I also agree with the poster who said whites don&#39;t really know what to make of our hair. And when we are permed, the hair still does not "really" look like white hair. It&#39;s like putting on a sheet and saying, "see, my skin is white, too." And we and they know it&#39;s not "really" white skin, but we don&#39;t talk to them about it and they don&#39;t talk to us about it and we pretend they don&#39;t know and they pretend we don&#39;t know.

kma01
09-04-2006, 11:20 AM
I just got hired at a large pharmaceutical company, with some fuzzy braids that I had been rocking for the past two months . They offered me the job two days after my interview. So, I know it was my confidence and skills, and not my appearance. ;)

MsTee
09-07-2006, 08:03 PM
I teach English at a high school that pretty diverse. However, many of the students come from low income families. My administration and colleagues accept my hair. When they are evaluating me, they are looking at my assessment data, classroom management skills, and the rapport I build with students, parents, and other teachers...not my hair. Some of my colleagues wear locs. Since returning this school year, many of my students from last year complimented me on my "new" hair, as have many of my colleagues. I feel that I am doing them justice by walking around with my head held high...letting the girls know that it&#39;s ok if they can&#39;t afford that p.erm, because this is an example of how our hair was meant to look anyway!

NaturalJamerican
09-07-2006, 08:38 PM
I am an elementary school teacher. Although the student body is diverse, the teaching staff is not. When I started teaching at this school I was the only African American teacher, now (eight years later) there are two of us. I have been natural for about five years, but only started growing my hair out last year. A few of the girls in my class (particularly the Caucasian ones) seemed fascinated by my twists. :)

4mrcreamyuser
09-23-2006, 09:40 PM
I am a school social worker/counselor for preK-5. Of the very, very, few African-American professionals in my district (teachers, administrators, etc.), I am one of three naturals. One is a teaching assistant with locs. Tthe other is an administrator with locs and people swear we are the same person....you know how that is.... ;) Everytime someone calls me by her name, I say some smart alecky like, "nope, I&#39;m the social worker with the dented, 97 Nissan. She&#39;s the phD with the shiny new Mercedes convertible"

I interviewed for the position with two-strand twists. Two weeks later I was offered the job and started with some starter locs. Needless to say, they have seen me when my hair has been going through its defiant stage and have never really commented. The only comments I get are when they notice that it has grown or if I have it in an updo.

At my previous job, I had a first interview with two-strand twists and then had the second interview there with a big fro with a scarf headband. I was offered that job the same day.

I&#39;d have to say that I was chosen for my position based on my merit and rockin&#39; personality. :wub:

Naturally Divine
09-30-2006, 09:30 PM
I am an administrative assistant/ community outreach specialist for a non-profit organization in an urban neighborhood.

I know it is okay to be natural; the C.E.O. has been loc’ed for 14 years now.

Lucky me :D !

Gomekmek
10-10-2006, 01:15 PM
i work at a preschool. Everyone loves my nappy hair and are so surprised i "cut all my hair off". A few women on the j.o.b. are natural but they dont rock their real hair. One other teacher is natural, w low burgandy rinsed fro ( she looks really good w it too). In the last few weeks i have started wearing wraps. I wore on today for picture day and ended up doing 2 wrap tutorials lol. Man, im so happy to share the real me.

mystationwagon
10-22-2006, 05:56 PM
I am a project assistant working for a educational research firm. I used to wear my hair straight in a r.e.l.a.x.ed. style but 2 years ago I went natural after a bad braid accident. (Found out I can&#39;t wear synthetic hair). I cut all of the p.e.r.m. out of my hair and had a very short fro. Black co-workers were very dissaproving while white co-workers were very supportive. So supportive, that they still try to touch my fro even though I don&#39;t like it. Ugh.

Now that my fro has grown out some, some black co-workers are still pretty dissaproving of it. At least once a week one of them comes up to me and asks me if I have tried the new p.e.r.m. out on the market. I have zero desire to return to the "creamy crack" so I just smile and change the subject. I have noticed in the past year that some of my co-workers have started to wear locs and a few wear mini-afros. It&#39;s good, because when we see each other in the hallway we give a half nod in solidarity.

srdetroit
10-28-2006, 08:08 PM
I am a Federal Investigator and the only African American in my office and my hair has not been an issue since I&#39;ve gone natural.

avalonchocl8
11-15-2006, 12:05 PM
I work for a bank in Dallas as an executive assistant. I&#39;ve only been natural for almost 2 months and it has not been an issue for me. I have received so many compliments.

nu2napps
11-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I work for a major federal government contractor as a Procurement Specialist and just started 11-8-06. I&#39;m loced and interviewed with my hair twisted back in the front and hanging in the back. My aunt (who works for the Federal government) told me to wear a wig to the interview. But she was just joking. In my area there are so many naturals and loced heads...it&#39;s really no biggie. My first day on the job, I got a nice compliment from a co-worker (a sistah, at that). Prior to this position, I was a recruiter for a marketing company and they hired me the same day...locs and all. I was a little worried at how I woul be perceived, but I just prayed over it and if they didn&#39;t want me because of me (locs, intelligence, etc.), then it wasn&#39;t meant for me.

blackcoffee
11-29-2006, 09:56 PM
At the company I work for, I get a majority positive comments, but sometimes not. If I decide I don&#39;t feel like wearing my 2 strand twists or twist-out and and just want to wear my fro I&#39;ll hear comments that I look like Pam Grier or "FIGHT THE POWER!!" or "dang, when you gonna put those twist back in?" My response? A combination of : :icon_headshake: :noway: :Angry: :huh: It&#39;s my head, when I get good and damn ready. And it&#39;s funny because it&#39;s the same people, making the same old dry comment - oh well, what can we do. I want to ask them when are you going to take the tired, old dry perm out of your head and do something different??

Kelicia
11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
I work in an elementary school as an 8th grade teacher. I started transitioning my 2nd month of teaching with braids. I finally started wearing my hair out in Jan &#39;06. Went to two job fairs and about 10 interviews in May and July &#39;06 with my fro, got many offers, accepted one, and haven&#39;t had any issues (that I would really care about) with my hair in the workplace.

ray
11-29-2006, 11:07 PM
I work at a teaching hospital in a medical intensive care unit as a secretary part time. I am also a nursing student and plan on working for the same hospital when I graduate (hey they are paying for school). My hair has been the topic of many conversations. Not because its natural but because I change styles so much.