PDA

View Full Version : Get Out! Aa And Expatriation

lifeAgift
02-23-2005, 07:46 PM
:afro: Ever considered leaving the old red white and blue behind?

Do you believe the HYPE:

"America&#39;s the greatest country on earth!"</span>

:afro: <span style=\'color:blue\'>Where would you go and what would you do when you got there?

shuger
02-23-2005, 07:56 PM
I wouldn&#39;t say it&#39;s the greatest place but it&#39;s all I know. I don&#39;t plan on leaving and besides America seems to have their hands in everyone back yard.

sunschild57
02-23-2005, 09:50 PM
My people built this country. I aint going nowhere. :afro:

mstnt
02-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Good post, I&#39;m currently thinking about moving to the Virgin Islands but also have thought about Africa (Ethiopia,Nigeria or maybe Kenya)-

Whenever I hear a person say that America is best on earth I feel like smackin&#39; em up side the head,

What about you????

lifeAgift
02-23-2005, 11:59 PM
:D Definitely plan on living abroad in the near future.

Hubby and I contemplating 2-3 years in Egypt. Would also like to try somewhere in South America and maybe even a short stint in Greece and/or Italy. Other parts of Africa are up for consideration too.

I have a love hate thing going on with the USA right now, but my desire to travel has more to do with a desire to immerse myself in other cultures and enjoy a different set of not so predictable experiences.

My ideal scenario would be to travel with the World Health Organization (WHO). They pay you fare market US wages, which often goes along ways in other countries.

As we embark on a larger global economy however, I fear the US dollar exchange rate will not fare well against the EURO (sp). Anyway the trade is quite favorable in Egypt right now and housing and all the lux amenities are superb!

My husband desires to work as an amateur/olympic athletic trainer, and I as a Maternal Child Health Educator!

My husband has secured placement in Egypt and will probably later have a temp assignment in Bejing (&#39;10 Olympics). I&#39;m networking now and securing additional education and credentials.

If you have any contacts please PM me. You can also post your bright ideas on this thread for all to benefit.

Kuddos and Thanks to you all!!! :wub:

vinny_46
02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by sunschild57@Feb 23 2005, 01:50 PM

I agree. But I have plans to live somewhere outside the U.S. for no determined amount of time.

Options:

Ireland
England
France

Whitley Gilbert
02-24-2005, 06:33 AM
I don&#39;t think I would actually move to another counry any time soon (I&#39;m in school). But I have always considered Australia a pretty interesting place though, I have always said you never really hear much about it, concerning wars and alot of problems. I&#39;m sure there are some but you don&#39;t hear about them too often. So, yeah if things ever get to unbearable here. I&#39;m moving there with the kangaroos. :)

sunschild57
02-24-2005, 07:56 AM
I&#39;ve lived in Turkey and would return if I ever get tired of the U.S. :afro:

Keedah
02-25-2005, 02:49 AM
I dont think I would move but I would love to spend a couple months out of the year in South Africa.

reggie
02-25-2005, 03:05 AM
I&#39;d go to New Zealand. low crime, good healthcare, warm climate, at least that&#39;s what i&#39;ve read so far.....

ClassicBrown
02-25-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by sunschild57@Feb 23 2005, 04:50 PM

ITA, ITA... but I would love to spend some time on an island, like Barbadoes or St. Martin, which i hear is beautiful... anyone can speak from experience?

Urbanite
02-25-2005, 06:01 AM
When I was in high school, I decided that when I turned 18, I was going to give up my US citizenship and become a citizen of Liberia.

I never did do that but whenever I see or hear Bush speak I always remember my dream.

I&#39;ll probably leave the US after I&#39;m through with school. My people built this country but I&#39;d like to use my education to help Africa in some way.

Squidgemidgeon
02-25-2005, 08:10 AM
This may sound dumb, but how exactly does one go about moving to another country? Do you just show up, bags in tow & say "I like it here! I think I&#39;ll stay!" or is there some other process you have to go through first?

watercolorz
02-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by sunschild57+Feb 23 2005, 03:50 PM-->

[/b]

Girl tell the truth and shame the devil… :P that was my first thought.
<!--QuoteBegin-AnaisKarim@Feb 23 2005, 06:28 PM
I&#39;m open to other countries. But I&#39;ll never give up my U.S. citizenship. That&#39;s like a platinum card.

I love to travel… ^_^ and even when I have lived in other cities for extend periods of time (sometimes years) I still called Chicago home.
I have always wanted to live in Italy… the Tuscan region or Spain… I would love to learn the language and I could stay there for several years… but eventually I would miss home and return to the U.S. :wub: ~W

jenxtwin
02-28-2005, 05:16 AM
I&#39;ve always wanted to travel so I wouldn&#39;t have a problem with leaving.
I would learn Portuguese and move to Brazil
or
Go to Australia- I&#39;ve always wanted to come here
or
Africa-definitely
or
Italy-I love Italian food

nappylove
02-28-2005, 05:38 AM
If I did move, it would no doubt be Africa, unfortunately like someone else said America has it&#39;s hand in everybody&#39;s backyard, so it&#39;s hard to escape, and there is so much turmoil over there. I would say the Virgin Islands because it is so beautiful but I ain&#39;t playing with those hurrricanes, no thankyou! But I&#39;d definitely get a time share there, and maybe one day move there.

Chlyric Images
02-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I&#39;d go to France.

I love that it&#39;s made for walking and bikes instead of cars. I hear they love black women too *eye brow raise*. They drink wine with every meal and it&#39;s close to so many interesting countries.

I may go anyway!

pwr_puff
02-28-2005, 08:05 AM
id like to go to Cape Verde.

felise
02-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I want to leave but I wouldn&#39;t go too far. We&#39;re thinking of moving to Canada within the next few years.

neveah
02-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks for starting this topic!!! :)

Traveling has been on my mind for awhile. I think that becoming an expatriat may be the easiest and cheapest way for me to travel. I plan on going to Africa. Oh Lord, please let me pass my classes so I can get my degree and make my dream come true!!!

Patrina
02-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Take my butt back home. Born in Guyana and I still have relatives on my dad&#39;s side there.

P

jolie76
03-01-2005, 07:00 AM
I&#39;d really love to live in Cuba for awhile. In end, I think I&#39;d like to settle down in southern Spain. It&#39;s gorgeous and I can catch the Flamenco festivals. Lack of money and self-tied apron strings are the reasons I&#39;m still here. :D

nappynae
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
i&#39;d love to travel the world, particularly Brazil, Africa, South America, Italy, Greece, France. My ultimate desire is to retire to my family&#39;s native land - sweet Trinidad & Tobago. my husband is american and i&#39;m still coaxing him on that idea. he&#39;s all for us buying land there and maybe living there half the year, but not entirely. i don&#39;t think america is all it&#39;s cracked up to be for my wants/needs. yes, there are great opportunities here. but i feel society here puts so much emphasis on how much money you have or material things. and in other places the quality of life doesn&#39;t seem to based on that as much.

i have dual citizenship, but i would give up my u.s. citizenship when i retire i think. we&#39;ll see when the time comes.

love this thread!

mgtgcc
03-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Asia is high on my list. Unfortunately, i had to cancel my trip to Japan this year due to the tsunami. :(

Nappilocs
03-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Squidgemidgeon@Feb 25 2005, 08:10 AM
This may sound dumb, but how exactly does one go about moving to another country? Do you just show up, bags in tow & say "I like it here! I think I&#39;ll stay!" or is there some other process you have to go through first?

:lol: Girl if it was that easy, I would still be in France.
Every country has immigration policies just like the US

To answer the question. I would go back to France. I loved Paris and the South of France. I would probably live in the South because of the weather.

Or South America, or Bermuda where my roots and family are.

mochalocks
03-03-2005, 02:26 AM
I would&#39;t say America is the best country in the world,but I wouldn&#39;t leave. I do believe every country has their own problems too.

I&#39;ll probably go to London.

nicyvefra
03-03-2005, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by mgtgcc@Mar 2 2005, 10:55 AM
Asia is high on my list. Unfortunately, i had to cancel my trip to Japan this year due to the tsunami. :(

Why? PM me if you&#39;d rather not say publicly, but I would seriously like to know why the tsunami is keeping you from Japan. Was it a vacation, or were you going for a while?

To the how does one expatriation question:
Get a passport, work out the appropriate Visa with the chosen country&#39;s consulate and leave. Some countries are a little more complicated, but the length of your stay comes down to your Visa. I&#39;m still trying to figure out how I can get around that working stipulation with the EU b/c I am definitely considering France. I keep picturing myself there as an older woman with my grandchildren.

nastynas
03-03-2005, 04:16 AM
Would I go? H*LL YEAH. I live in Japan now but will be returning to the states shortly. Sometimes I wish we were going somewhere else....
Anyway, France, South Africa, Canada, Cuba, Egypt, U.K., (not in that order)

I tell my husband, I&#39;m breaking out one of these days, so he needs to get with the program or be left:) I have read about some of the artists and such expatriating to France and other European countries in the 60s and 70s and I feel &#39;em.

Opportunitylocks
03-03-2005, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Chlyric Images@Feb 28 2005, 06:59 AM
I&#39;d go to France.

I love that it&#39;s made for walking and bikes instead of cars. I hear they love black women too *eye brow raise*. They drink wine with every meal and it&#39;s close to so many interesting countries.

I may go anyway!

Yea France or Italy is where I&#39;d want to go. I&#39;m an aspiring chef so going to one of these places to taste the food would be a real experience for me.

lovinblackness
03-03-2005, 12:34 PM
We will be moving to the middle east within the next 5 years, God willing. If things don&#39;t work out in our country of choice, then I have a plan B and a sketchy vision for a plan C, but I don&#39;t plan to ever return to the states to live before my (now very young) children are college aged and perhaps not even then.

myshair
03-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Like someone said, my folks&#39; blood is in the soil, they couldn&#39;t make me if they tried but it would be a country governed by Blacks. Living where Black people govern themselves appeals to me. After living in a country where the rights, wants and needs of white folks is the first concern, I&#39;d like to experience first hand what its like to live where that kind of prejudice is not part of the equation.

Squidgemidgeon
03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I guess to answer the question *ahem*:blush: I would probably go to Egypt. I SO want to see Cairo in the worst way!!!! :wub: Anyway, other than Egypt, I would love to move to Spain for awhile; Madrid rocks!!! I didn&#39;t want to leave the last time I was there AGES ago & I&#39;d love to go back some day. Greece would also be a nice place to visit. I don&#39;t know that I would ever give up my US citizenship, though. My family&#39;s blood is here & I like it here. I just want to see everywhere else, too! :D People are fascinating & I love adventure....

vicchnu
03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by nicyvefra@Mar 3 2005, 03:34 AM
Why? PM me if you&#39;d rather not say publicly, but I would seriously like to know why the tsunami is keeping you from Japan. Was it a vacation, or were you going for a while?
To the how does one expatriation question:
Get a passport, work out the appropriate Visa with the chosen country&#39;s consulate and leave. Some countries are a little more complicated, but the length of your stay comes down to your Visa. I&#39;m still trying to figure out how I can get around that working stipulation with the EU b/c I am definitely considering France. I keep picturing myself there as an older woman with my grandchildren.

My friend is one of those that packed her bags and showed up in two countries and was able to stay and work. She is currently living in Spain, has for about 6 years now and do not plan on moving back. She just left and got a job teaching english to university students.

lifeAgift
03-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Teaching English in another country is a great way to the leave the US and support yourself abroad. IT and medical/health fields are also very open and lucrative.
For those who can&#39;t come up with the $$$ right away. Take a mission trip or get affiliated with one of thoe church, school, house building campaigns... "Dr&#39;s Without Borders" take support people too...you just need air fare but accomodations though meager (at least in Mexico) are ususally provided.
Single college students can do this as an exchange program. Great way to get in humanities credits.
Go with a US Diplomat as there Nanny, great way to take a short trip with security in tow.
For a quick stop in several places you can try out for the Amazing race game/reality show.
I plan to visit if not live 3-6months on every continent at least once before retirement. I can&#39;t wait next year we begin our transglobal journey. Shots, Passports, VISA, Camera and Kiddos in tow.Look out world here we come!!!

napturallyme
03-06-2005, 03:17 PM
I would live somwhere in the Carribbean, probably in Jamaica.

LBellatrix
03-06-2005, 04:11 PM
For a long time I echoed what others have said: My people built this country; I ain&#39;t going nowhere.

However, now that I&#39;ve been to 3 different European countries (France, Spain and England), I&#39;m not averse to living abroad, at least for a little while.

My most recent visit was to London and if I could afford it (and if they had a better selection of restaurant food; I&#39;ve been spoiled living in Chicago ;) ) I&#39;d live there.

Barring London, I&#39;m with Squidgemidgeon and Jolie76: I could live in Spain without blinking an eye (much).

sonce
03-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by watercolorz@Feb 25 2005, 08:21 AM
Girl tell the truth and shame the devil… :P* that was my first thought.

:lol: My mother used to say that aaaaall the time, and I haven&#39;t heard it in a very long time.

Tahte
03-08-2005, 02:07 AM
As the song says, "This is MY Country." However, there&#39;s a little pink house in Nice, France with my name on it!

mystic1974
03-08-2005, 02:21 AM
i have been thinking of leaving especially when they implement the police state and start opening concentration camps.

Salsybabe
03-08-2005, 03:31 AM
I&#39;m considering eventually moving (permanately) to Canada. But it&#39;s up in the air. I&#39;m not 100% sure I&#39;d want to leave the US though.

PacificSky
03-08-2005, 04:41 AM
I am still hoping for an expat position in Canada. I&#39;m slated to work in Saint John this summer but I really want 12 to 18 months. The benefits are awesome. I would be able to pocket my entire salary (USD) due to the living allowance.

I&#39;d go anywhere. I love experiencing new people.