PDA

View Full Version : In Race We Lust, Vh1

Hartu
02-24-2005, 03:38 AM
(Sub-title edited as not intended to offend)
Being a part of this small world of nappturals, I often easily forget that the masses are still cosumed with self-hate, ignorance and stereotypical BS.
It was really dishearting to see certain black men on this show, cite in regards to some TV shows or movies, that the black man often starts with a black woman, then a latino, an asian, and works his way up to white. (Yes, he did say 'works his way up to white')
Both black women and men agreeing that breeding with another race is beneficial to the child so that the child can have good hair.
Anthony Anderson shown on a film clip raving about his biracial child's good hair, 'ooh, it's so soft, you've got hair after your mother.
Clips of celebrity "tragic mulattos", i.e., Mariah Carey, 'oh, I wasn't black enough or white enough...I never fit in'...because of this or that, blah, blah :rolleyes: As if non-mixed blacks don't suffer some of those same ills because of their complexion, manner of speaking, hair texture, etc.
Some model chick, exlaiming that she had such problems due to her biracialness as a child, when looking at her, she looks like a (for lack of a better word) typical black person (i.e., she didn't have the "typical mulatto" hair texture or features that people claim is exclusive to mixed people). Is it possible she could have started her own drama?
Indians cosigning that marrying black is never acceptable.
Blacks on the show claiming that you can always tell a biracial black, they never look all black or all white. I guess that's like having gaydar, huh?
And that rapper chick from P. Diddy's reality show (don't know her name) bragging about her weave ponytail, 'uh, huh, I went out and bought me some good hair', when her hair was so thin, that the poor ponytail was hanging on for life, just to her scalp.

I know this is lengthy, but it made my stomach upset, especially after I just watched a Malcolm X biography before that, with the narrator talking about how Malcolm poisoned his hair with toxic lye and chemicals, in his ruthless years; and then I turn to this VH1 mess. :icon_eek13:

Laluna
02-24-2005, 03:44 AM
I saw it, and thought it was hilarious! :lol: The humor was satirical, not meant to be taken seriously.

CaramelMa
02-24-2005, 03:47 AM
WOw they actually had all this ish up there? That is highly defensive...especially what you said about the brother "working their way up" Why do sistas have to be at the bottom?

I'm glad I did not see that.... :Angry_boese008:

Hartu
02-24-2005, 04:03 AM
I know that it was meant to be satire, but, I got the sense that some of the people featured were sincere in their beliefs, i.e., the rapper girl with the weave ponytail; or Mariah Carey, I've seen her on unrelated interviews, victimizing herself as a tragic mulatto; which in itself could be a topic. Because I don't see the difference (in degree of trauma) in how biracial kids were mistreated (as children) or teased just as well as some non mixed black kids were--like myself, who is dark complexioned and was considered to have nice hair, and caught hell pure for those things.
Of course, I can't speak for biracial people, because I've never been biracial (in that sense), but, honestly, coming from certain individuals, it can seem like an excuse to seperate themselves as being different, when non mixed kids are discriminated against just as much, for some of the same issues. *Again, coming from certain individuals, IMO* NO OFFENSE to the biracial sistas/brothas on the board

erinm
02-24-2005, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Laluna@Feb 23 2005, 09:44 PM
I saw it, and thought it was hilarious! :lol: The humor was satirical, not meant to be taken seriously.

I laughed too. :dunno:

chocolategurl17
02-24-2005, 04:26 AM
What kinda mess was that? I'm glad I didn't see it. Was that some kindof show to honor Black History Month or something, because judging from ur post, it doesn't sound too honorable to black people. I find it typical that they would show something like this during Feb- BHM.

ReRoyalty
02-24-2005, 04:28 AM
I must admit that I have been laughing at the Race-O-Rama shows all week, like for real for real :lol: :lol: :pointlaugh: :lol: :lol: kind of laughing...

But I must say, that this evening when Eddie from ummm the Erkle show (can&#39;t think of the name) surely said, "When a really fine brotha and a really fine White woman get together and have a baby they will have a very attractive child with that GOOD HAIR..." he sounded soooooo convinced I had to think twice while I braced myself for the coming segment on hair. I did find most of the comments to be satirical, HOWEVER <_< it was only those types of comments, where individuals were really buying in to the "good hair" idea, that made me go :huh: ...

Otherwise, I&#39;ve been loving this series (the Ghetto pass episode was by far my favorite!)

afromation
02-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by ReRoyalty@Feb 23 2005, 11:28 PM
I must admit that I have been laughing at the Race-O-Rama shows all week, like for real for real :lol: :lol: :pointlaugh: :lol: :lol: kind of laughing...

But I must say, that this evening when Eddie from ummm the Erkle show (can&#39;t think of the name) surely said, "When a really fine brotha and a really fine White woman get together and have a baby they will have a very attractive child with that GOOD HAIR..." he sounded soooooo convinced I had to think twice while I braced myself for the coming segment on hair. I did find most of the comments to be satirical, HOWEVER <_< it was only those types of comments, where individuals were really buying in to the "good hair" idea, that made me go :huh: ...

Otherwise, I&#39;ve been loving this series (the Ghetto pass episode was by far my favorite!)

ITA. I&#39;ve loved all the egotrip episodes. They are meant to be satirical. I&#39;d advise everybody to watch it and judge for themselves. They had a great series last semester too. I think it was about minority stereotypes in television. It&#39;s on right now (it&#39;s been on for half an hour)

ReRoyalty
02-24-2005, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by afromation@Feb 24 2005, 04:32 AM
They had a great series last semester too. I think it was about minority stereotypes in television. It&#39;s on right now (it&#39;s been on for half an hour)

I believe you are talking about Black in the 80&#39;s. It was a three part special with the titles being Color TV, Def Jams, and Color in Film. Their topics being obvious. I loved these as well. I had a friend record them on their DVR to burn on to a DVD for me,

Hartu
02-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by ReRoyalty@Feb 23 2005, 10:28 PM
But I must say, that this evening when Eddie from ummm the Erkle show (can&#39;t think of the name) surely said, "When a really fine brotha and a really fine White woman get together and have a baby they will have a very attractive child with that GOOD HAIR..." he sounded soooooo convinced I had to think twice while I braced myself for the coming segment on hair.

Right. I get the satirical/sarcastic essence of the program, but This is what I&#39;m talking about! That brotha was REAL in his assertion about "good hair", as was some of the other black folks.

What kinda mess was that? I&#39;m glad I didn&#39;t see it. Was that some kindof show to honor Black History Month or something, because judging from ur post, it doesn&#39;t sound too honorable to black people. I find it typical that they would show something like this during Feb- BHM.
I guess it&#39;s supposed to be a show on how the "industry" promotes racial stereotypes (when, IMO some of the black guests were doing the same thing, when giving their views) in relation to showing interracial couples on the screen. (I missed the very beginning)
All races were represented to some degree.

afromation
02-24-2005, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by ReRoyalty@Feb 23 2005, 11:38 PM
I believe you are talking about Black in the 80&#39;s. It was a three part special with the titles being Color TV, Def Jams, and Color in Film. Their topics being obvious. I loved these as well. I had a friend record them on their DVR to burn on to a DVD for me,

No I know that special. That came out in the beginning of this month. The one I&#39;m referring to was also by Egotrip. I&#39;ll look for the site.

Edit:

I can&#39;t find the site on vh1 right now- I only see the new egotrip stuff. But I know Black in the 80&#39;s was just about Blacks, the show I&#39;m referring to came out a few months ago and was about how all minority groups were discriminated against in television and film. I&#39;m still looking for it.

tiggerdee
02-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by afromation@Feb 24 2005, 12:32 AM
ITA. I&#39;ve loved all the egotrip episodes. They are meant to be satirical. I&#39;d advise everybody to watch it and judge for themselves. They had a great series last semester too. I think it was about minority stereotypes in television. It&#39;s on right now (it&#39;s been on for half an hour)

ITA.
I&#39;m watching it now. The show they did last year was is "TV&#39;s Illest Minority Moments"

ReRoyalty
02-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by afromation@Feb 24 2005, 04:52 AM
No I know that special. That came out in the beginning of this month. The one I&#39;m referring to was also by Egotrip. I&#39;ll look for the site

Oppp :dunno: Thought I knew sumthin... :lol:

afromation
02-24-2005, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by tiggerdee@Feb 23 2005, 11:57 PM
ITA.
I&#39;m watching it now. The show they did last year was is "TV&#39;s Illest Minority Moments"

Thats the name of the show! thanks tiggerdee. I was wracking my brains trying to think of the title.

afromation
02-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by ReRoyalty@Feb 23 2005, 11:57 PM
Oppp :dunno: Thought I knew sumthin... :lol:

Did you see the "Illest Minority Moments" show? that one was good as well

Hartu
02-24-2005, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by ReRoyalty@Feb 23 2005, 10:38 PM

I enjoyed these shows.

Hartu
02-24-2005, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by afromation@Feb 23 2005, 10:52 PM
...I can&#39;t find the site on vh1 right now- I only see the new egotrip stuff. But I know Black in the 80&#39;s was just about Blacks, the show I&#39;m referring to came out a few months ago and was about how all minority groups were discriminated against in television and film. I&#39;m still looking for it.

Is BET airing any of this kind of programming? Does anyone know?

afromation
02-24-2005, 05:03 AM
Will there be more new episodes for the race-o-rama or are there only 3?

afromation
02-24-2005, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Hartu@Feb 24 2005, 12:02 AM
Is BET airing any of this kind of programming? Does anyone know?

I don&#39;t know. Sad to say, but I never look to BET for anything serious or uplifting (with the exception of Sunday programming and BET nightly news).

I did hear they were doing a special on Jack Johnson. I don&#39;t know if its the show from PBS- Unforgiveable Blackness. I&#39;m not sure when it&#39;s airing.

They seem to be geared more towards young people in middle and highschool and I guess they feel young people aren&#39;t into anything that isn&#39;t hot right now :dunno:

tiggerdee
02-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by afromation@Feb 24 2005, 12:58 AM
Thats the name of the show! thanks tiggerdee. I was wracking my brains trying to think of the title.

No problem. It was funny too. The who would Black TV commercial czar/rice kingpin Uncle Ben get with, Aunt Jemima or Mrs. Butterworth? had me rollin&#39;.

But anyway this whole series is based on their book "Big Book Of Racism!" I want to get it.

afromation
02-24-2005, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by tiggerdee@Feb 24 2005, 12:08 AM
No problem. It was funny too. The who would Black TV commercial czar/rice kingpin Uncle Ben get with, Aunt Jemima or Mrs. Butterworth? had me rollin&#39;.

But anyway this whole series is based on their book "Big Book Of Racism!" I want to get it.

Me too. I also want Aaron Mcgruder&#39;s newest book: Birth of a Nation. I read his other 3 in a day lol. I was actually surpriised to find them in my campus bookstore considering we&#39;re like 4% minority.

Orchid
02-24-2005, 05:11 AM
"Places where Blacks and Latinos meet: Prison. KFC." WTF???? This was in a little clip preceding a commercial. You can say it&#39;s satirical all you want, but this program was offensive. And, no, all of the people interviewed were not being sarcastic. Many were giving their honest opinions, revealing true stereotypes and widely believed misconceptions.

NLight1
02-24-2005, 05:12 AM
Just another one of the ego trips crazy shows :dunno: I had a post a few days ago talking about the first one that had to do with "the ghetto pass," heres the link for those that missed that show:

Dude, where&#39;s my Ghetto Pass? (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46238)

Anyway, Ive enjoyed the other Vh1 shows like the hip hop series, the hip hop honors award show and the black in the 80s series. The ego trippin series is definitely for selective tastes. The ghetto pass show was just that, ghetto and ignorant. I did find myself laughing at some of the idiotic comments on this IR show tonight. But I was quite annoyed at the end when they were saying yea its cool to have mixed babies so the kid could have "good hair" :blink: :puke2:

Hartu
02-24-2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by afromation@Feb 23 2005, 11:07 PM
I don&#39;t know. Sad to say, but I never look to BET for anything serious or uplifting (with the exception of Sunday programming and BET nightly news).

I did hear they were doing a special on Jack Johnson. I don&#39;t know if its the show from PBS- Unforgiveable Blackness. I&#39;m not sure when it&#39;s airing.

Same here regarding BET, doggone shame, ain&#39;t it! (except I don&#39;t watch it at all- College Hill did it for me)

PBS has been airing some excellent "black history" programs; why these shows regarding civil right struggles, etc. can&#39;t be aired annually like the documentaries on the horrors of the holocaust, concentration camps and others, I don&#39;t know. So if you&#39;re not around in February, you are just SOL.

afromation
02-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Hartu@Feb 24 2005, 12:31 AM
Same here regarding BET, doggone shame, ain&#39;t it! (except I don&#39;t watch it at all- College Hill did it for me)

PBS has been airing some excellent "black history" programs; why these shows regarding civil right struggles, etc. can&#39;t be aired annually like the documentaries on the horrors of the holocaust, concentration camps and others, I don&#39;t know. So if you&#39;re not around in February, you are just SOL.

IA. I always used to look for Eyes on the Prize to come on every year but if I understand correctly, they&#39;re having copyright issues or something and thats why they aren&#39;t airing the series :dunno:

I was through w/ College Hill as well. I saw half of the first episode of the new season. They have "come up" in that the episodes no longer look like they were recorded on a sprint phone.

Laluna
02-24-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Orchid@Feb 23 2005, 11:11 PM
"Places where Blacks and Latinos meet: Prison. KFC." WTF???? This was in a little clip preceding a commercial. You can say it&#39;s satirical all you want, but this program was offensive. And, no, all of the people interviewed were not being sarcastic. Many were giving their honest opinions, revealing true stereotypes and widely believed misconceptions.

It seemed like some stuff you&#39;d see on the Chapelle show :dunno: In fact, I&#39;m willing to bet the writers were primarily black. I&#39;m thinking only then would VH1 be brave enough to poke fun @ some of the stereotypes that they did. :rolleyes: I think a lot of race comedy is getting more edgy. They may be taking cues from the Chapelle show.

I think the worst thing that minorities can do is take this stuff too seriously. We gotta start being able to laugh @ ourselves. Hey, there are A LOT of black folks who feel the way "Eddie" does. What can you do?? I&#39;m vowing to stop owning the ignorant statements spouted by every black person on TV. He said it. He&#39;s the one sounding like he&#39;s fresh from a plantation, not me :dunno:

NLight1
02-24-2005, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Laluna@Feb 24 2005, 12:04 AM
I&#39;m vowing to stop owning the ignorant statements spouted by every black person on TV. He said it. He&#39;s the one sounding like he&#39;s fresh from a plantation, not me :dunno:

Girl, that quote is priceless - he is the one sounding like he&#39;s fresh form the plantation, not me!!!!! I friggin love it! :wub: Great points in your post.

ETA:**lightbulb going off in head moment**
And you know what, you are right. I don&#39;t take myself that seriously so why should I care about some idiot on tv. I think for me though, it is just being amazed at some of the dumb ish that comes out of peoples mouths. But like you said, they said it, I didn&#39;t.

cristalena
02-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Hartu@Feb 24 2005, 03:38 AM
It was really dishearting to see certain black men on this show, cite in regards to some TV shows or movies, that the black man often starts with a black woman, then a latino, an asian, and works his way up to white.

You REALLLLY misquoted that part. They were referring to the fact that when a black man decides to date a white woman and tell his black peers, he should break the ice by saying, "She&#39;s Latina...oh, wait I meant Indian...did I say Indian? I meant Asian...Ok...she&#39;s White."

ETA: The model chick you&#39;re referring to is Shakara Ledard. She has a black mother (from the Bahamas) and a white French father. She was also raised in the Bahamas, so she very well may have stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the other children she was around.

http://mixedfolks.com/images/shakaraledard.jpg

femmefatales
02-24-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by cristalena@Feb 24 2005, 02:04 AM
You REALLLLY misquoted that part. They were referring to the fact that when a black man decides to date a white woman and tell his black peers, he should break the ice by saying, "She&#39;s Latina...oh, wait I meant Indian...did I say Indian? I meant Asian...Ok...she&#39;s White."

exactly

I thought it was funny and thought provoking.

Places where Latinos & Asians hook up- Chinese owned Mexican Resteraunts-priceless.
These Chinese people by my school used to hook a quesedilla up!

vinny_46
02-24-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Hartu@Feb 23 2005, 07:38 PM
Clips of celebrity "tragic mulattos", i.e., Mariah Carey, &#39;oh, I wasn&#39;t black enough or white enough...I never fit in&#39;...because of this or that, blah, blah :rolleyes: As if non-mixed blacks don&#39;t suffer some of those same ills because of their complexion, manner of speaking, hair texture, etc.

Some model chick, exlaiming that she had such problems due to her biracialness as a child, when looking at her, she looks like a (for lack of a better word) typical black person (i.e., she didn&#39;t have the "typical mulatto" hair texture or features that people claim is exclusive to mixed people). Is it possible she could have started her own drama?

This sounds like a pretty disguisting show.

But I don&#39;t agree with the above. Yes, we all have problems, but I don&#39;t think it&#39;s right to discredit someone elses struggle/journeys just because you weren&#39;t part of them, don&#39;t think you have the right. :mellow: I don&#39;t think she was lamenting. Those are her experiences, and it may not seem like much to some, but you didn&#39;t live that life. She&#39;s gone through some of the same troubles as you, under diff circumstances, everyone is unique. Just like whites have not lived our lives. They&#39;ll never know. :icon_headshake:

BTW, just because she didn&#39;t look biracial to you, doesn&#39;t mean that she didn&#39;t go through those things, for that particular reason, actually. I know something about that.

vinny_46
02-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Hartu@Feb 23 2005, 08:03 PM

or Mariah Carey, I&#39;ve seen her on unrelated interviews, victimizing herself as a tragic mulatto; which in itself could be a topic. Because I don&#39;t see the difference (in degree of trauma) in how biracial kids were mistreated (as children) or teased just as well as some non mixed black kids were--like myself, who is dark complexioned and was considered to have nice hair, and caught hell pure for those things.
Of course, I can&#39;t speak for biracial people, because I&#39;ve never been biracial (in that sense), but, honestly, coming from certain individuals, it can seem like an excuse to seperate themselves as being different, when non mixed kids are discriminated against just as much, for some of the same issues. *Again, coming from certain individuals, IMO* NO OFFENSE to the biracial sistas/brothas on the board

What do you mean, coming from certain individuals? :huh:

I appreciate the disclaimer at the end, but I can&#39;t help it. I&#39;m not truly offended, because I&#39;ve heard it too many times. But dayum, dayum, dayum. I don&#39;t really know why people refuse to see the struggles of others. Or fine, maybe they don&#39;t understand, that&#39;s fine. But then just why not let it go, rather than making their experiences seem ridiculous.

*nevermind* this is pointless bs.

I&#39;m gonna go make some french toast.

caraqueen
02-24-2005, 12:25 PM
I don&#39;t watch VH-1 , MTV or BET what little bit I&#39;ve seen I have deemed as not even worth the next two seconds of observance before I flip the remote to the next channel. I see enough of the ignorant drivel that some of the people on that special were saying in real life. I&#39;ll amuse myself with that. <_<

DymSx
02-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Wow. I&#39;m surprised by a lot of reactions here with regard to the VH1 show, but whatever. I know this show is meant to be satirical, but not at the expense of offending anyone. I laughed a loud a lot, and was never once offended. I guess it&#39;s how you look at things. I know VH1, and I know its sense of humor. I think it can satire at its best. I don&#39;t think it was as bad as a lot of people feel it was, but hey, that&#39;s my opinion.

I :wub: Kadeem Hardison....

Kashanti
02-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I saw part of the show before I changed the channel. I thought some of the comments were satirical, but others were just a bit shocking to me. Maybe shocking is a strong word, but definitely perpetuating a lot of old stereptyppes.

While watching the show, I could just imagine some of my non-Black peers repeating some of these comments (especially the ones about good hair and having attractive, "exotic-looking" IR children) -- and being quite lost on the satire part -- and at that point it didn&#39;t become quite as funny anymore. Heck, it has been said before, so it may only serve to reinforce these beliefs. And not just only for non-Black folks. <_<

Hartu
02-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by vinny_46@Feb 24 2005, 01:10 AM
...Yes, we all have problems, but I don&#39;t think it&#39;s right to discredit someone elses struggle/journeys just because you weren&#39;t part of them, don&#39;t think you have the right. :mellow: I don&#39;t think she was lamenting. Those are her experiences, and it may not seem like much to some, but you didn&#39;t live that life. She&#39;s gone through some of the same troubles as you, under diff circumstances, everyone is unique. Just like whites have not lived our lives. They&#39;ll never know. :icon_headshake:

I agree. That&#39;s exactly what I said. I can&#39;t speak for them and don&#39;t have the right to.

What do you mean, coming from certain individuals?
In my own experiences, there&#39;d be certain mixed race kids who went out of their way to highlight the fact that they are not All black, when the situation didn&#39;t even call for it- as if it were a relief; a status; we&#39;re supposed to be jealous; a one up on you, sort of thing; or as if bragging - in the same temperament as say someone of a particular complexion, (back in the day) would brag about his/her complexion or hair texture, or whatever, and reaching for some dubious distant relative so he/she could claim 1/16 Notblakanese (I hope people don&#39;t mistake me for ALL black, sort of attitude), &#39;know what I mean?... And then want to claim that the kids don&#39;t like me because I&#39;m biracial or whatever. :rolleyes: *Again, I said certain kids would do this* And although I admire Mariah Carey&#39;s singing talent, for some reason she just rubs me the wrong way.

*nevermind* this is pointless bs.
I&#39;m gonna go make some french toast.
And if you&#39;re going to run off disgusted over this and make french toast, then you should have to make some for everyone.

CH1C
02-24-2005, 03:07 PM
I agree that is was satire and I was laughing my butt off. I didn&#39;t get to see the whole episode so I must have missed that comment...

One comment that did sort of bother me was when a sista said that she things biracial babies are so beautiful...I don&#39;t know, maybe I just took it out of context but she made it sound like being mixed automatically makes someone pretty. But yea, other than that, I saw the show as humor yet, they were speaking some truth.

~*welekevu*~
02-24-2005, 03:07 PM
When does this show air? I gotta see it.

:dunno: welekevu

Hartu
02-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cristalena@Feb 24 2005, 01:04 AM

Nevertheless, I thought that was silly.

It seemed like some stuff you&#39;d see on the Chapelle show...They may be taking cues from the Chapelle show.
That&#39;s true, but what got me - as others have pointed out, were the REAL views of the guests (who, I suppose were to represent our views as a whole), who fed into, perpetuated and believed these stereotypes themselves. I think the difference with Dave Chappelle is that, everyone is on the same page, mentally (meaning they don&#39;t really buy into these stereotypes, therefore, they have the foundation to poke fun).

I&#39;m vowing to stop owning the ignorant statements spouted by every black person on TV. He said it. He&#39;s the one sounding like he&#39;s fresh from a plantation, not me
Yeah, that&#39;s pretty good, thinking. But people with the ear of the public should be a bit more educated and responsible.

Hajirah
02-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I just post the same subject but oviously you got to it first :D
, I have been watching this show on VH-1 and I found it interesting and eye opening at the comments. especially the men. The good hair thing..I was sick with..But it exposes some or deepest ignorance and our deepest truths.

Nappalonia
02-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Clips of celebrity "tragic mulattos", i.e., Mariah Carey, &#39;oh, I wasn&#39;t black enough or white enough...I never fit in&#39;...because of this or that, blah, blah

Girl I was dying laughing when she told some little kid "its&#39; a mixed girl thing" and I think she said "you wouldn&#39;t understand" :rolleyes:

It had to be comedy :doh

TooXquisite
02-24-2005, 05:02 PM
BET is definitely not doing any type of specials like that. The most that they have done is black history facts here and there.

I like the shows that VH1 have been airing.

I thought Race-O-Rama was funny. There were certain points where I did go :huh: and smh. All in all, I thought it was very good. I plan on picking up the book.

vinny_46
02-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Hartu@Feb 24 2005, 06:59 AM
And if you&#39;re going to run off disgusted over this and make french toast, then you should have to make some for everyone.

I didn&#39;t have enough bread for that anyway!! :angry:

:blush:

Hartu
02-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Sucks don&#39;t it, especially when you&#39;ve got that taste in your mouth - I shed a tear for you :hug:

blackspirals
02-24-2005, 07:35 PM
The ghetto pass episode was TOO FUNNY. I cracked up when they revoked Cuba Gooding Jr&#39;s ghetto pass. I think the reason for the show is to address racial issues and make fun of them because of how idiotic some of them are.

But I feel Hartu about that Shakara model. Walking past her, I wouldn&#39;t be thinking, "Oh that poor mulatto girl!" :smil3f9cf915b71bf:

I&#39;d be thinking, "Why is that snaggle-toothed black girl always walkin&#39; around with her lip poked out?!" :huh: I wan&#39;t to tell her that life is only as hard as you perceive it to be.

LBellatrix
02-24-2005, 08:01 PM
I saw the tail end of this show. I also saw parts of the Ghetto Pass show. The Ghetto Pass show was really funny. I&#39;m glad someone made the comparison to Chappelle because with his show too I&#39;m like: "I can&#39;t believe they&#39;re saying this on TV!"

With last night&#39;s show, I was laughing right up until the "good hair" segment. Then I got mad and sad all at the same time because, as others have already said, you could TELL that there wasn&#39;t a whole lot of satire there, if any. Most of those black folks really BELIEVED that good hair sh**. I was left wanting to write an angry letter to somebody. :icon_headshake:

cristalena
02-24-2005, 08:02 PM
That VH1 special did me a great service by finally clearing up the mystery behind Tom and Helen&#39;s kids on the Jefferson&#39;s. I got hooked on watching repeats on Nick-At-Nite and honestly thought Jenny and Allan, respectively, were Helen and Tom&#39;s kids from previous monoracial marriages.

Then I recalled George Jefferson calling Jenny a zebra, so I thought that maybe Allan was adopted or something? Now my mind is absolutely blown after knowing the truth. What were the casting directors smoking??! I mean, damn...all they had to do was look at little Lenny Kravitz for casting references.

Papillion
02-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Hartu@Feb 24 2005, 06:59 AM
I agree. That&#39;s exactly what I said. I can&#39;t speak for them and don&#39;t have the right to.
In my own experiences, there&#39;d be certain mixed race kids who went out of their way to highlight the fact that they are not All black, when the situation didn&#39;t even call for it- as if it were a relief; a status; we&#39;re supposed to be jealous; a one up on you, sort of thing; or as if bragging

Yeah, I remember a lot of people like that...they were also very threatened by the much lighter-skinned, green & blue-eyed blacks who had 2 afro-american parents. Pretty sad. :icon_eek13:

They clearly did not like being &#39;darker&#39; than those non-biracial individuals, and wanted to make sure every darn person KNEW that they were bi-racial and therefore DIFFERENT...like anyone noticed...We were all just kids, anyway...comprising every shade from ebony to egg-shell. :rolleyes:

Aesys
02-24-2005, 11:01 PM
I love the series so far. Some of the people that comment do make me :icon_eek13: and :doh , but I think that it is good. If someone watches these shows and thinks that the comments made by some of these folk represent blacks everywhere then I think there is a bigger problem than some comments about &#39;good hair&#39;. I too was turned off by those comments, but like someone else mentioned....he made those ignorant comments...not me.

PUPPY
02-24-2005, 11:56 PM
I hear you Hartu, some mixed children do try to stick out like a swore thumb. For the Mariah thing, I do recall her on Oprah at one point saying that she was everything but Black. I guess I was heated about the good hair thing, and the fact that Black women were seen as left overs and the last one of all the races to be with (correct me if I am wrong).Like every other race of female was better .

I forgot who posted that they don&#39;t watch bet, mtv or vh1 , I think I need to do the same and there is a whole world out there I need to see. Sorry to get off top, but I get tired of hearing from white people , how beautiful Africa is (but on television will make it seem like the most terrible place to visit in the world)? It &#39;s my homeland and I haven&#39;t explored it. It jusst amazes me how many white&#39;s I hear that continue to go live or study there. While, many African Americans are zombies when it comes to going. Next stop for me AFRICA!

PUPPY
02-24-2005, 11:57 PM
I hear you Hartu, some mixed children do try to stick out like a swore thumb. For the Mariah thing, I do recall her on Oprah at one point saying that she was everything but Black. I guess I was heated about the good hair thing, and the fact that Black women were seen as left overs and the last one of all the races to be with (correct me if I am wrong).Like every other race of female was better .

I forgot who posted that they don&#39;t watch bet, mtv or vh1 , I think I need to do the same and there is a whole world out there I need to see. Sorry to get off top, but I get tired of hearing from white people , how beautiful Africa is (but on television will make it seem like the most terrible place to visit in the world)? It &#39;s my homeland and I haven&#39;t explored it. It jusst amazes me how many white&#39;s I hear that continue to go live or study there. While, many African Americans are zombies when it comes to going. Next stop for me AFRICA!

tenachie
02-25-2005, 05:46 AM
i&#39;ve seen the series so far. i&#39;m not offended because i watch a lot of vh1 shows like "best week ever". i think the guests were just throwing out the popular stereotypes, beliefs that different people hold, but never really talk about out of their social circle.

CrazeeDCoil
02-25-2005, 11:04 AM
It&#39;s a funny show... I couldn&#39;t decide if I should be offended or just laugh at first. It is primarily in the spirit of satire, just unfortunate there are a few ignorant people on their who missed their own joke. Which is some ways made it even funnier and sadder.

scurrie
02-26-2005, 01:02 AM
I saw the episode last night. I think the overall idea was done as a satire. However, some of the "artists" if u will & celebrities views were sadly their own. u can&#39;t expect people&#39;s mind set to change after so many yrs. of a certain way of thinking. It&#39;s just sad to see so many people still conditioned to still think as slaves.

lilbitofcoco
02-27-2005, 08:44 AM
OHMIGOSH PPL it was funny!
I think the fact that race could be discussed openly on a international channel like VH1 is a good thing...And although it was satirical, the closing remark was actually a good point- "its hard to be racist when they are your relatives."

Stereotypes cannot be broken down until they are addressed. This show comically addressed them.

In terms of the tragic mullatto... in my opinion.. if you can&#39;t identify with there problem.. is it because you think they are privileged?
My husband a "tragic" mullatto.. in the sense that they were talking about it... .. Imagine growing up in the 80&#39;s with parents of two different races- learning how to be white from your white parent and environment... buut appreciating the blackness of your other parent ...being called a ni**** by you white friends parents... being called a white boy by the black kids at your school, not being able to get a job, cause you hair is just too kinky.. but getting stared at at the black owned buisness cause you just couldn&#39;t be black... You know, we are raised to believe that light-skinned curly hair is ideal.. When I met my husband, and I admired his hair, he commented that he always wanted to look like me.. obviously black. Now he is a grown man, and he is still not accepted as black. Black men heckle me when we go out together.. asking me why I am with a puerto rican. ... I love my husband, and I feel sad for him everyday because he was denied the beautiful culture and upbringing that black americans take for granite.

Theres nothing glamorous about being an in-between, especially those of generation X (like Mariah and my husband)

Another thing that was sobering about the race o rama show... was the statement that black women and asian men are the least married ppl in AMerica.

How can the black women.. the original queen...be least desirable as the companion of a man.
Sad and depressing.

BLESS7
02-27-2005, 04:58 PM
To be very honest I loved Race O Rama&#39;s show last night. I actually watched it and was cracking up! I&#39;ve read the posts and saw that many were offended by the &#39;blacks and latinos&#39; segment before the commercial. Taco Bell/KFC (tacos and chicken) C&#39;mon now that was some funny stuff. Not to mention it&#39;s not like they didn&#39;t do ALL the races.

Why isn&#39;t anyone mentioning what was said about celebs like Halle Berry, J. Lo and Wesley Snips not starring-not wanting to star- with blacks or latinos? There was an overall level of digust that the celebs on the show conveyed.

If we are honest with ourselves how many of us bought into (maybe even secretly still do) the "GOOD HAIR" thing before we rediscovered and learned to love our NAPPY hair and Napptural selves?

As it&#39;s been said over and over the show was meant as satire and brings to light what still goes on in our society. It&#39;s the Willie Lynch Letter at it&#39;s working best ya&#39;ll.

Vizion
02-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Orchid+Feb 23 2005, 09:11 PM-->
Many were giving their honest opinions, revealing true stereotypes and widely believed misconceptions.

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Hajirah@Feb 24 2005, 08:30 AM
I just post the same subject but oviously you got to it first :D
, I have been watching this show on VH-1 and I found it interesting and eye opening at the comments. especially the men. The good hair thing..I was sick with..But it exposes some or deepest ignorance and our deepest truths.

That was the point. Many people still have some serious internalized white supremacy to work through. These people&#39;s responses are meant to indicate that.

Vizion
02-27-2005, 07:42 PM
From this post, I realized many people do not know about Ego Trip. Put simply, they are culture jammers. The following is taken from their website: egotripland (http://www.egotripland.com). Check out the rest of their website. Think abou geting their books, Ego Trip&#39;s Big Book of Racism and Ego Trip&#39;s Rap Lists.

Ego trip (b. 1994-d. 1998) was the last word in independent hip hop publishing, a zine whose influence far outreached its circulation. Not only was it a magazine recognized as the being best of its kind-one which fused unparalleled hip hop knowledge and fanaticism with a punk rock aesthetic, a racial subtext, and a wicked sense of humor-but its co-founders and editors kept this altogether alternative, underground-like-The-Devil outpost afloat for years while simultaneously dominating mainstream rap press coverage via key positions at The Source and Vibe magazines, the two biggest urban culture magazines on this big blue marble.

Sacha Jenkins
The Astoria-Queens-bred co-founder of ego trip magazine is a Leo with Haitian roots who lists collecting Bad Brains memorabilia, petting zoo visits and leisurely hikes in the Woodstock, NY countryside amongst his hobbies. Jenkins spent the 2001-2002 academic year attending the mental massage parlor known as the National Arts Journalism Progam at Columbia University&#39;s Graduate School For Journalism. He is also the former music editor of Vibe magazine, and is currently a writer at large for Spin and editorial director for up-and-coming urban lifestyle rag, Mass Appeal.

Elliott Wilson
Folks may be familiar with the bi-racial Wilson via his alter ego, "Yellow n****," the flamboyant big cheese at hip hop publishing powerhouse, XXL. But long before he was passed the EIC reins of that streets-approved mag, the pride of Queens, NY&#39;s Woodside-Projects was known as a co-founder of ego trip magazine. (Wilson is also the former embattled music editor of The Source magazine, which may explain why he&#39;s since made it his life&#39;s mission to destroy his old editorial home by any means necessary. Boo-ya!)

Chairman Jefferson Mao
Though Jefferson Mao is not a co-founder of ego trip magazine, he&#39;s been down with the **** since day one-not bad for a second generation Chinese-American from the nasty (and pasty) suburbs of Boston, MA. Mao&#39;s also written for Vibe, The Source, Rolling Stone, Spin, Blender, and XXL, where his monthly column, Chairman&#39;s Choice, bigs-up underground hip hop records that don&#39;t suck. (That&#39;s a lot harder than you jerks might think.)

Gabriel Alvarez
Whittier, CA&#39;s Mexican-on-a-mission joined the et collective in Nueva York after spending several years running the show (and getting treated like "the help") at Rap Pages when it was actually a really good, really creative magazine. Really! These days Alvarez continues to chronicle the indictments, trials and tribulations of rap dudes as XXL&#39;s senior writer supreme. In his spare time, he enjoys listening to Brasilian booty bass records while posting on Internet porn discussion sites under pseudonyms like "Norman Leer."

Brent Rollins
Los Angeleno BR is a half-Black, half-Vietnamese wonder boy. His designs and art direction kick ***-just check out ego trip&#39;s Book Of Rap Lists, ego trip&#39;s Big Book Of Racism!, or take a walk over to the rap section at your local Coconuts and check for the hottest album artwork. Or you could simply ask BR Design Explosion clients like highly covetable skate-gods Supreme or a little upstart company known as called Nike. Rollins can also write pretty damn well too-something he got a chance to do a lot more of after taking a cue from his fellow Rap Pages alum, Gabriel Alvarez, and moving to NYC and getting down with the et dream team. Word to Paisley Park, he&#39;s one sexy mofo (edited).