PDA

View Full Version : Now Butters

delightfulflame
07-21-2003, 04:43 AM
The health food store sells Now products. The only reason I can fathom as to why they carry that stuff is that it must be cheap. Maybe I'm biased b/c I've tried nasabb's shea butter, but Now's products just don't live up to my expectations. The shea and cocoa butter I bought was HARD as a rock. You don't have the option of melting before use...you must melt it to use it or you may cut your hand.

Okay, I'm through venting. Just don't want anyone else to waste their hard earned money on that mess!

ETA: Oh, and of course they put a foil covering over it for your protection, but I believe it's so you can't see that its crap while you are in the store.

kudurunzinga
07-21-2003, 02:08 PM
:afro: That's the beauty of making your own products. You get quality products just the way you like! :thumbsup:

delightfulflame
07-21-2003, 06:29 PM
That's what I was buying them for...to make my own products. They were supposed to be pure shea butter, and pure cocoa butter. Apparently, they must use a crappy process to extract because that stuff was so hard...if I threw it at someone, then I could possibly knock them out cold!

z3000zee
07-22-2003, 03:49 AM
i purchased the NOW butters a while back. this was when i was first started making my own butters. that stuff is crap. i threw mine away.

don't buy NOW butters.

by the way, i didn't have any problems with the oils.

jetblackkinks
08-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by delightfulflame@Jul 21 2003, 04:43 AM
You don't have the option of melting before use...you must melt it to use it or you may cut your hand.

lol!!!

jetblackkinks

cateyez
08-13-2003, 05:29 PM
I just got a refund yesturday for my NOW Shea Butter b/c it was hard. I went ahead and purchase the shea butter by ORS. It seems to work ok so far.

jmnappy
08-15-2003, 01:29 AM
I don't like NOW shea butter. It's too processed which probably explains its hard texture.

twistedmama
08-15-2003, 03:35 AM
Your vent session made my laugh. I remember buying NOW shea butter when I was a newbie kitchen chemist. Just learning how to make my own creations. That stuff was crap for real.

Amunet
08-19-2003, 02:41 PM
ITA! The NOW shea butter was one of the first products I purchased to care for my natural hair and I just could not understand why people loved the stuff so much. It was so hard and grainy I was never really able to use it. It sits all alone in my medicine cabinet collecting dusk.

What a waste of $$! :realmad: :burningmad:

Thanks for bringing up this topic, hopefully it will save other newbies from making the same mistake.