PDA

View Full Version : Nightmares About My Kids

kopper
07-21-2003, 08:46 PM
:(

Last week I've been having horrible nightmares about my toddler boys ages 1 and 3. Two dreams involved my 1 year old almost drowning but was barely resuscitated (sp) and the dream I had Saturday night about my 3 year old was so horrible I can't even mention it. It really messed up my day. I don't know what's going on and why I'm having these dreams. I just pray that they don't become reality.

I normally don't drink but went out last Saturday night w/ a girlfriend to the 2003 Bob Marley Festival. I saw so many beautiful napptural and locked Brothers & Sisters. It was like a beutiful Napptural Mecca. I've never been at a place where having relaxed hair was unusual. That's another story.... ANYWAY, I had a big cup of cheap blush wine and my husband said that caused me to hallucinate and have the nightmare about my 3 year old. Oh yeah, I went to IHOP after the festival and ate late.

Anyway, my questions are:

Will drinking cause hallucinations and nightmares? What about eating late, late at night?

Have you ever had a nightmare where harm was done to your baby?

MsDrea
07-21-2003, 09:02 PM
Girl I got teary eyed just reading your message. I had reoccuring nightmares about my daughter being killed for about four years. They weren't frequent, but it was the exact same dream. I would cry and go get her and put her in my bed. Now I can't complain that she's 11 and still piles into the bed with me.

Being that I'm a young mother. I couldn't afford and didn't even THINK of counseling and I was afraid to tell anyone because I thought that it was sick that I was dreaming about my daughter's death. Girl I am still bothered by the thought of those dreams, but I guess I surpressed(sp) them.

Dang I'm sure that's not what you were hoping to hear, but it sure was therapeutic for me! :lol:

kopper
07-21-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by MsDrea@Jul 21 2003, 09:02 PM
Girl I got teary eyed just reading your message. I had reoccuring nightmares about my daughter being killed for about four years. They weren't frequent, but it was the exact same dream. I would cry and go get her and put her in my bed. Now I can't complain that she's 11 and still piles into the bed with me.

Being that I'm a young mother. I couldn't afford and didn't even THINK of counseling and I was afraid to tell anyone because I thought that it was sick that I was dreaming about my daughter's death. Girl I am still bothered by the thought of those dreams, but I guess I surpressed(sp) them.

Dang I'm sure that's not what you were hoping to hear, but it sure was therapeutic for me! :lol:
Thanks for sharing :( . I couldn't imagine enduring 4 years of those dreams.

MsDrea
07-21-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm sure that talking about them will be helpful to you. I had them like two or three times per month like clockwork when she turned one, but it's been years since I've had one. Keep talking to people. You'll be fine.

delightfulflame
07-21-2003, 09:44 PM
Here's my experiences:

Whenever I dream those kinds of dreams, its usually caused by a deep rooted fear rather than something that's going to happen. If I do dream something, and it happens, it usually happens to someone other than the person that I dreamed about.

Something similar happened whenever I got pregnant. No joke... each time I got ready to deliver, someone in my family died. With the first child, I thought it was a coincedence, but it happened with all my children. I'm kindof relieved that I'm finished having children now.

MsDrea
07-22-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by delightfulflame@Jul 21 2003, 09:44 PM
Here's my experiences:

Whenever I dream those kinds of dreams, its usually caused by a deep rooted fear rather than something that's going to happen. If I do dream something, and it happens, it usually happens to someone other than the person that I dreamed about.

Something similar happened whenever I got pregnant. No joke... each time I got ready to deliver, someone in my family died. With the first child, I thought it was a coincedence, but it happened with all my children. I'm kindof relieved that I'm finished having children now.
That's deep! I remember once being told that dreaming of death is really symbolic of life because it's about entering a new phase of existence. So... I don't know. I also remember telling my friend about my dreams and she said that it was just my worst fear being realized by my mind. I'm not sure. I'm glad that I don't have those dreams anymore.

jccamero
07-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Wow...that's intense.

Drinking has never caused me to have nightmares. But it did cause me to hallucinate. I wasn't seeing green men or things crawling on me. But I was definitely out of reality.

Eating late at night doesn't give me nightmares either but it shift the control I have in my dreams. Usually I control EVERYTHING in my dreams. The colors, the actions of others and myself, the setting, ...EVERYTHING. When I eat really late or go to bed extremly tired. I can't control what happens in my dreams..its like I'm too weak or heavy. I know its weird.

My advice, try to relieve some of the stress in you life (if there is any). If the dreams presist mention them to your health care provider and get some suggestions. Maybe he/she can suggest options with you.