PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera Is Great!

sonce
02-25-2005, 05:43 AM
Wow ladies, I first got the idea to use aloe vera about 2 or 3 weeks ago from feepee's skin care tips (THANKS FEEPEE!) and it has made a HUGE difference!

My face is clear and that's with me no longer using the benzamycin (prescription acne cream) that I have used for the past 6 years! I was hooked to that stuff and everytime I tried to stop, within two days, my face would be covered in whiteheads and pustules.

My gosh, I've been using aloe vera gel twice a day, every day, and my skin looks sooooo much better. The black spots actually started peeling a bit within the first few days and have now faded into brown! I've seen more improvement in these past two weeks than in the six years I've been using benzamycin + every other skin care product known to man.

I honestly did not think that the aloe vera gel would work but I was desperate because come may, I'm graduating and I can't afford the $70/month benzamycin without my parent's help, so I knew I had to find something else quickly.

Ladies, aloe vera gel is amaaaaazing. Oh and if you use it with loreal refinish, I think the results are even better.

beedeeb
02-25-2005, 06:28 PM
sonce, where did you get your aloe vera gel? Is it pure?

sonce
02-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by beedeeb@Feb 25 2005, 06:28 PM
sonce, where did you get your aloe vera gel? Is it pure?

Hi beedeeb, I buy my aloe vera gel from drugstore.com. I'm considering getting an aloe plant so I can have my gel straight from the source, but this brand is excellent and was recommended to me:

Aloe Vera Gel (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16732&catid=9717&trx=GFI-0-SRCHFI&trxp1=9717&trxp2=16732&trxp3=1&trxp4=1&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-SRCHFI)

phillygirl
02-25-2005, 09:26 PM
I agree with you, aloe vera gel is amazing. I'm a feepee album stalker, too, and got the idea from her album. Little scars I've had for years have faded, and I only use it at night.

The brand I use is Lily of the Desert, and it's 100% aloe vera. I got mine from the Vitamine Shoppe.

stillwater09
02-25-2005, 10:21 PM
yep agreed! also, if you get your hands on a plant, NOTHING compares to the real thing. If you have severe acne, get into the habit of drink aloe water from the plant. it clears me up in 3 days TOPS.

aloe water:
break a stalk off at the base (i use the bottom leaves first)
clean well with soap and water
cut down the sides to remove the 'thorns'
if there is yellow at the bottom I cut that off too
slice into 2 inch chunks and freeze all but 1

rinse this chunk again and smell, it shouldn't smell bad (don't taste it yet though lol)
slice into verrry thin strips
put into a small bowl with about 1/4 cup of distilled water
put a lid on and "shake it fast" it will thicken slightly

use 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture (dont use any of the green slices, just strain it into a cup) in OJ if possible--the taste is QUITE strong! refrigerate the rest with tight lid.

it will last 2-3 days, but if it starts smelling bad, toss it and get a chunk from the freezer, defrost under slightly warm tap water and start again.

if you get a large plant and take care of it, it'll last for years!

peedee
02-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Hello ladies,
i too have been using the aloe gel, but my question is this. On the bottle it says refrigerate after opening, i assume that is because people drink it. But if i am only going to use it on my face, do i have to keep it refrigerated? What do you do?

DaisysHair
02-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Yep I have been riding the "SKIN CARE by feepee" bandwagon as well and my skin thanks me for it every day. The FOTE ALOE VERA GEL, is great and along with the ORGANICS CARROT TEA TREE OIL THERAPY is excellent. :D

LovelyJazz
02-26-2005, 02:20 AM
Yeah! Aloe Vera gell is that deal! :D

Back in the day...ok, like a few years ago cause I'm still young (20yo), when I had really bad acne and I was using differin gel, but I still had scars. So, as my moisturizer I used Eucirin Cream (doesn't clog pores) with Aloe Vera gel, and my scar cleared up beautifully!

lalapixie
02-26-2005, 02:39 AM
i like using jason tea tree gel which has sooo much aloe vera tea tree oil witch hazel chamomile arnica echinacea etc and no artificial color preservatives or fragrances

sonce
02-26-2005, 02:39 AM
@Stillnappy, thanks for the tips, I'll try the aloe water.

Wow ladies, isn't aloe great? for the first time since I hit puberty, I'm not afraid to let people get a good look at the sides of my face (before the were covered in black spots layered upon black spots). I can't wait until the spots are totally gone!

nubiandymond
02-27-2005, 11:44 PM
this is great

i brought some lily of the desert aloe the other day for my hair, it did nothing, and was about to throw it out. Now i can actually use it to clear up my face and perhaps my back. Prom is comming up and I need to look good!!!

wat do you ladies wash your face with before you put on the aloe?

DaisysHair
02-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by nubiandymond@Feb 27 2005, 07:44 PM
this is great

i brought some lily of the desert aloe the other day for my hair, it did nothing, and was about to throw it out. Now i can actually use it to clear up my face and perhaps my back. Prom is comming up and I need to look good!!!

Hello, just to answer your question, I can't speak for everyone, but I wash my face with Nasabb African Black Soap, and I use FOTE Aloe Vera Gel and the Organics Carrot Tea Tree Oil Therapy. YUM! :D

nubiandymond
02-28-2005, 08:35 PM
thanks! i was thinking black soap but i just wanted to be sure

toriq
03-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by peedee@Feb 25 2005, 04:25 PM
Hello ladies,
i too have been using the aloe gel, but my question is this. On the bottle it says refrigerate after opening, i assume that is because people drink it. But if i am only going to use it on my face, do i have to keep it refrigerated? What do you do?

i was was wondering this myself. i just bought some aloe juice as it's called (i was like whoa to how watery it is...), but do i really have to refregeriate it? Like for example, they say maple syrup has to be 'frigerated, but does it? if there have been successes where nobody need to do so w/ syrup, then i suppose i won't need to.

beedeeb
03-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Hi, Ladies! I was wondering if any of you had any experience w/ the aloe vera plant? I am trying to diminish the lines and dark circles under my eyes. I had been using an Oil of Olay product but am not seeing any results.

Have any of you used pure aloe vera for wrinkles?

LuvThosNaps
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by toriq@Mar 1 2005, 01:04 AM
i was was wondering this myself. i just bought some aloe juice as it's called (i was like whoa to how watery it is...), but do i really have to refregeriate it? Like for example, they say maple syrup has to be 'frigerated, but does it? if there have been successes where nobody need to do so w/ syrup, then i suppose i won't need to.

To discover the answer to this, we must go to the source...

FEEPEE!

FEEPEE, WHERE YA AT?

Oh, wait, she can't hear me....

Guess somebody'll have to PM her

sonce
03-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by nubiandymond@Feb 27 2005, 11:44 PM
this is great

i brought some lily of the desert aloe the other day for my hair, it did nothing, and was about to throw it out. Now i can actually use it to clear up my face and perhaps my back. Prom is comming up and I need to look good!!!

Clean and clear cleanser

LaLa*
03-01-2005, 06:52 PM
How long did it take to see results?

feepee
03-01-2005, 09:40 PM
lmao!! no need to PM. i's here!! i was just about to come in her raving about how much i love AVG too. i currently use it on my scalp face and hair(only for twisting). but i use it in different ways. i only use pure AVG made by Lily of the Desert.

For my skin, well, check out my skincare album. sorry can't link at this moment i'm at work. but click on the link in my sig and go to that album. i basically wash with pure black soap. pat dry my face, then apply AVG. then apply a tiny bit of oil (a few drops) and a small amout of pure unrefined shea butter.

i also have a container where i mixed AVG with a few drops of pure tea tree oil (it's an EO) that i use to dab on pimples when i see them or feel them forming. i also dab that on any marks i may get. i don't get bad break outs anymore. i can't say i NEVER get pimples anymore. but it's definitely not a problem anymore. scars fad much faster now with the help of the AVG. i use to have large pores on my nose and cheeks, but that is not an issue anymore.

i suggest folks exfoliate as needed. i do it maybe once a week now alternating between a honey and sugar scrub (omigoodness skin soooo soft and supple) and St. Ives Apricot scrub. the honey/sugar srub isn't as rough as the st. ives.

for the scalp i use the AVG tea tree oil for itchies. i actually don't really have the itchy problem much anymore. only when it's time to shampoo. but i give small samples to my hair clients who have dandruff or scalp problems that cause itches. they all LOVE it and want more samples (i TELL them to make their own, smh) when they come back. lol.

i could prolly go on and on about the uses and benefits of AVG and tea tree oil. but i'll leave it at that for now.

also, to all the folks who have emailed me and PM'd me about how this a works for ya, you really make me feel like i'm helping. which has been my intent all the while. i feel so :wub:

feepee
03-01-2005, 09:44 PM
just wanted to add...

about the refrigeration. If you only have a small thing of AVG then you may not need to refrigerate it. They have that mainly for folks who drink it. Which i don’t do. I buy LARGE containers cuz i use it for myself, family and clients. Store it in a cool dark place. or you can add a few drops (i’m talking 4 or 5) of tea tree EO or vitamin E cuz they are natural preservatives. I know tea tree oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties so it works great or me. But if i know i won’t use up the AVG within in a month or 2 i put it in the fridge.

Brazen
03-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks Feepee!

Off to check album :bolt:

LaLa*
03-08-2005, 07:51 PM
does aloe vera gel also work on other body parts like knees, elbows, and such?

Melanizm
03-12-2005, 08:09 PM
I've been using it for almost a week now and it's fading my scars nicely :) my skin is looking great!

Claire76
03-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Re refrigeration.

Ladies,

Left to its own devices, aloe vera gel will spoil. IMO, this isn't something that only those who drink it will want to avoid.

ChaoticSoul
03-14-2005, 08:59 PM
I have to agree about the Aloe Vera(lily of the valley), it is doing wonders for my complexion. I have extremely dry acne prone skin. I've been following feepee's advice from album-a little modified- and its working great. The blacksoap dries me out somthing terrible and I use the aloe vera and shealoe butter...I refrigerate mine because I won't use it quickly....Its a keeper :D

brit37564
03-14-2005, 11:29 PM
hey, i just started using FOTE aloe gel about a week ago, and my scars are fading like whoa!
for those who have been using it longer than me, have your scars vanished completely, just kinda faded?
(i have old acne scars, and some from a skin-rash i got this winter.)
thanx!

Claire76
03-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Re Aloe Vera Types...

I don't mean to jump in again.

When I speak of aloe vera spoiling, I'm referring to the pure gel products. The kind that is slimy and thin, as opposed to thick and clear. The latter tends to have been processed and contains extra ingredients, i.e. Carbomer 940.

stef290
03-16-2005, 04:25 AM
Hi.

Can you freeze the aloe vera gel to thicken it up?

systah
03-21-2005, 05:53 AM
purchased my lily of the valley aloe vera gel today. i hope it works for me like it has for everyone else! :)

sonce
03-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by stillnappy@Feb 25 2005, 10:21 PM
yep agreed! also, if you get your hands on a plant, NOTHING compares to the real thing. If you have severe acne, get into the habit of drink aloe water from the plant. it clears me up in 3 days TOPS.

aloe water:
break a stalk off at the base (i use the bottom leaves first)
clean well with soap and water
cut down the sides to remove the 'thorns'
if there is yellow at the bottom I cut that off too
slice into 2 inch chunks and freeze all but 1

rinse this chunk again and smell, it shouldn't smell bad (don't taste it yet though lol)
slice into verrry thin strips
put into a small bowl with about 1/4 cup of distilled water
put a lid on and "shake it fast" it will thicken slightly

use 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture (dont use any of the green slices, just strain it into a cup) in OJ if possible--the taste is QUITE strong! refrigerate the rest with tight lid.

it will last 2-3 days, but if it starts smelling bad, toss it and get a chunk from the freezer, defrost under slightly warm tap water and start again.

if you get a large plant and take care of it, it'll last for years!

Thanks for the recipe! My SO bought me two plants yesterday and I'm going to start drinking the juice.

southerncurl
03-31-2005, 07:24 PM
whats a good brand and how much???
I wanna get some this weekend