PDA

View Full Version : Hyperpigmentation In My Armpits

peedee
02-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Hey everyone I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what did you do to fix it. I have been shaving under my arms since I was 14, but suddenly withing the last 3 years i have developed dark marks under my arms I am so embarrased to raise them because it looks so bad. I thought I had some kind of skin infection so I used tea tree oil under there. My skin started to burn and the next 2 days it peeled. so I thought that it was working but now the darkness is still there and I am going on vacation in April. How can I clear this up by then. By the way I am allergic to fade cream with hydroquinone in it...darn it. :(

DaisysHair
02-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks for your post, great question. I have the same problem, it is embarassing to me, but I really would like to try and clear it up and treat it, any suggestions would be great. :D

MsCurly85
02-26-2005, 08:14 PM
One suggesttion is to STOP shaving under your arms.... get them waxed or try nair... I think someone also suggested using a natural deorderant

peedee
02-26-2005, 09:11 PM
i use a deodorant stone, and i don't shave often, maybe once a month. I have a bad reaction to Nair. But maybe they have developed a sensitive skin formula since i stopped using it.

Hey DaisysHair maybe we can both try using feepee's aloe vera gel treatment and compare notes..

Melanizm
02-27-2005, 12:29 AM
i've got this problem too. i'm going to stop shaving and use Veet instead. i'm also cleansing and exfoliating my underarms with baking soda and I'm going to try the aloe vera thing too.

:)

RoseBurnt
02-27-2005, 12:58 AM
I've been using lemon juice on my knees, elbows, armpits & all the other parts of my body that appear darker than the rest. I've been using it for 4 weeks now, and I see some improvement :) I use it in the morning after my shower and at night - don't wash it off. You might want to try it for two or three days to see if you have any adverse reaction to it..

As the other ladies said, you might want to stop shaving and try waxing or sugaring.

Also EXFOLIATE your armpits too! I hope it works, hun! Don't worry about it too much..

brit37564
02-27-2005, 01:42 AM
i read on some indian beauty tips site that under-arm darkness is caused by deodorant, so i cut back on using deodorant and the darkness is almost gone!

i mean, i still wear deodorant, yall. just not when i don't need it, like if i'm gonna laze around the house all day, or if i shower before bed or whatever.

HTH

DaisysHair
02-28-2005, 06:07 AM
THANKS FOR THE TIPS, I will experiment and see what works. :D

southerncurl
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
try st. ives apricot scrub under your arms, I have some very mild discoloration under my arms and this makes a big difference, also on the days when you arent leaving the house try just putting some aloe vera gel or shea butter under your arms, give your underarms a break from deodorant whenever possible, they need moisture too.
It's wintertime stop shaving as long as possible and by the time spring gets here they will look much better.

ade94
03-03-2005, 03:28 PM
As mentioned, shaving plus deorderant is the cause.

Avlon (or Avalon) has a natural deorderant in Lemon Verbana. After shaving, I put that on and the Sauve roll on for added layer. The lemon/lemon juice is the solution. Also cut down the amount of commercial deorderant applied.

Sold at health food stores.

alma2254
03-03-2005, 03:44 PM
With the lemon juice -are we talking freshly squeezed lemons or the stuff you buy as concentrated lemon juice?

ade94
03-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by alma2254@Mar 3 2005, 10:44 AM
With the lemon juice -are we talking freshly squeezed lemons or the stuff you buy as concentrated lemon juice?

I feel fresh is best. A bag of lemons squeezed gives about 1 liter of juice, that can be used for drinking, facials, etc.

Deej
03-03-2005, 04:13 PM
I use a wash cloth under my arms, switched to Avon, and stopped shaving. I use clippers to get the hair near shave-like. Works for me, it stopped my burning and itching too.

Ameka
03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't suggest stop shaving with a razer. Well, I know for me, when I used nair, veet or the like, the skin under my arms got TOOOOO sensitive. Sensitive to the point where when I would rub/wash it off, my skin was red and raw and it would start to bleed. Try moisturizing under your arms with Shea and Cocoa butter.

Dolliesdaughter
03-03-2005, 08:20 PM
I only shave when I am wearing something sleeveless. I made that discovery last year. I had not shaved my underarms for about 2 weeks. Yeah, I know but when I did my armpit was the same color as my arm.

So, during the winter months I shave about every 3 weeks.

clover
03-03-2005, 08:23 PM
If you shave, use Nair, etc., be certain to do it at night. Don't apply any deodorant until the next morning after you've showered and are ready to get dressed. Using deodorant right after you've removed hair causes skin irritation.

alma2254
03-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ade94@Mar 3 2005, 03:52 PM
I feel fresh is best. A bag of lemons squeezed gives about 1 liter of juice, that can be used for drinking, facials, etc.

Thanks for that!

I shave regularly, but I make sure that the skin under my arm has been soaked for atleast 5 mins in the shower with warm water & that I have gently massaged my underarms toi get the hair stimulated. I also shave the same direction as the growth of the hair with a sharp razor, slowly so not to mss up my skin.

Add a cream afterwards to sooth it. I found this method works great.

gigglezk
03-05-2005, 04:38 PM
for those of you who wax under your arms, do you get it done professionally or do it yourself? i want to wax but i am afraid of the pain. yes, i am a pain sissy. i'm afraid if i do it myself i might pull to hard and i don't want to hurt my skin. but i don't want to go to someone else because i'm afraid, lol, of their prices. and i'm scared they might screw up but i wouldn't know it because i've never had it done.

i used to use nair when i was younger and never had any problems. but then someone in high school told me that nair wasn't good for the skin. should i go back to nair? i really want to stop shaving.

also, i've been exfoliating every 3 days with a loofah. i'm going to try the baking soda method. also, i stopped using antiperspirant sticks and only use deodorant now only when i'm going to go out. at home, i just let my natural scent take over. i use Crystal Clean by Lady Speed Stick. it's just deodorant, no antiperspirant. i've been using this plus exfolianting for about a month and i see some results.

i've been living with dark pits for far too long now and i'm tired of being embarassed. you know, i haven't wore a sleeveless shirt since i was 15. well this summer, the pits are coming out.

MsCurly85
03-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Deej@Mar 3 2005, 11:13 AM
I use a wash cloth under my arms, switched to Avon, and stopped shaving. I use clippers to get the hair near shave-like. Works for me, it stopped my burning and itching too.

good suggestion.. never thought of the clippers

ini
03-06-2005, 06:37 AM
i switched deodorant once and it did that so i switched back and it cleared up

sonce
03-07-2005, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by peedee@Feb 25 2005, 10:45 PM
Hey everyone I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and what did you do to fix it. I have been shaving under my arms since I was 14, but suddenly withing the last 3 years i have developed dark marks under my arms I am so embarrased to raise them because it looks so bad. I thought I had some kind of skin infection so I used tea tree oil under there. My skin started to burn and the next 2 days it peeled. so I thought that it was working but now the darkness is still there and I am going on vacation in April. How can I clear this up by then. By the way I am allergic to fade cream with hydroquinone in it...darn it. :(

I have to use a razor for my armpits because nair/veet and all those other chemical hair removers give me very bad rashes, swelling, and burning.

When I shower, I exfoliate my armpits with a loofah every day, and then I rub shea butter into the skin there and let it sit for about fifteen minutes before putting deodorant on over the shea butter. I've been doing this for the past month, and for the first time, I haven't gotten razor bumps and ingrown hairs after shaving, and my armpits aren't discolored and unsightly. I actually started using shea butter to counter the razor bumps, and the change in color was a pleasant added effect--I never knew it was discoloration because I thought it was just normal for my armpits to be that dark!

Locks$Naps26!
03-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Glad to know i'm not the only one my inner thighs are the same color as my arm pits my doctor mentioned something about glucose.

RoseBurnt
03-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Update: Yep, the Lemon Juice & Aleo Vera Gel are taking the black outta dem cracks! :D My armpits and inbetweens of my thighs, creases under my butts, knees and elbows look MUCH MUCH better! My friends didn't believe that it was working inbetween my thighs, so I whipped my trousers down right there and then! They're trying it now too...

I too have heard about this glucose thing... Hmmm.. *goes off and looks for some info*

dyverse00
03-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by RoseBurnt@Mar 9 2005, 07:39 AM
Update: Yep, the Lemon Juice & Aleo Vera Gel are taking the black outta dem cracks! :D My armpits and inbetweens of my thighs, creases under my butts, knees and elbows look MUCH MUCH better! My friends didn't believe that it was working inbetween my thighs, so I whipped my trousers down right there and then! They're trying it now too...

I too have heard about this glucose thing... Hmmm.. *goes off and looks for some info*

Do you use the aloe vera from the plant or do you buy it from the store? And as for the lemons, do you just cut the lemon in half anf rub it on or do you squeeze the juice out of it and apply it?

dyverse00
03-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by RoseBurnt@Mar 9 2005, 07:39 AM
Update: Yep, the Lemon Juice & Aleo Vera Gel are taking the black outta dem cracks! :D My armpits and inbetweens of my thighs, creases under my butts, knees and elbows look MUCH MUCH better! My friends didn't believe that it was working inbetween my thighs, so I whipped my trousers down right there and then! They're trying it now too...

i gotta try this

RoseBurnt
03-09-2005, 08:59 PM
The Aloe Vera Gel I bought from a health store.... as the for the lemons I cut them in half, either squeeze a few drops into my hands or rub the whole thing as if I were gonna juice it on my knees and elbows.. If you&#39;re going to use it on your face, I suggest you try a lil lil bit as a test :) ... Lemon & Aloe have been good to me.. less "burnt up" looking thighs! Girl, RUN, RUN to the store! Remember with all things like this, you won&#39;t see the results immediately... I think the reason my thighs got less darker is because they touch at the top <_< but now I don&#39;t care!

sonce
03-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by RoseBurnt@Mar 9 2005, 01:39 PM
Update: Yep, the Lemon Juice & Aleo Vera Gel are taking the black outta dem cracks! :D My armpits and inbetweens of my thighs, creases under my butts, knees and elbows look MUCH MUCH better! My friends didn&#39;t believe that it was working inbetween my thighs, so I whipped my trousers down right there and then! They&#39;re trying it now too...

[/b]
:lol:

Janessa
03-13-2005, 06:09 AM
Do you all mean that you have SPOTS on your armpits or just that the armpit overall is too dark?

I have had both problems. It&#39;s getting a LOT better since I wax (in the summer) in a salon (it hurts the first time you do it after a break but after that it doesn&#39;t hurt much if at all) and in the winter I space out shaving a lot.

I will try the lemon trick as well!!

Mrsdawsondn
03-21-2005, 12:08 AM
I&#39;ve had this problem since I was about 12. I have just gotten used to it. Thanks so much for the tips I may try some of these remedies.

Whitley Gilbert
03-21-2005, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by RoseBurnt@Mar 9 2005, 03:59 PM
The Aloe Vera Gel I bought from a health store.... as the for the lemons I cut them in half, either squeeze a few drops into my hands or rub the whole thing as if I were gonna juice it on my knees and elbows.. If you&#39;re going to use it on your face, I suggest you try a lil lil bit as a test :) ... Lemon & Aloe have been good to me.. less "burnt up" looking thighs! Girl, RUN, RUN to the store! Remember with all things like this, you won&#39;t see the results immediately... I think the reason my thighs got less darker is because they touch at the top <_< but now I don&#39;t care!

Hmm... interesting. Thanks for the info!

*MoSeSmIcHeLLe*
03-21-2005, 06:44 AM
Scrub with crushed pecans and blueberries

just be careful not to clog the drain