PDA

View Full Version : Academy Awards

blackangel73
02-28-2005, 11:52 AM
If anyone caught the Academy Awards last night, what did you think?

I was proud of Chris Rock, except for one routine....the one where he interviewed blacks about the movies they'd seen (admittedly, it was funny, but I think routines like this only further polarize groups of people). It gives the impression that we think and act as a unit. I'm the first to admit that I'm drawn to films where I can see "myself" on the screen. But I also see (so-called) white films. Again, I was proud of him, but that one routine, IMO, was a misstep in this setting (a world wide audience).

Morgan Freeman is one of the most gracious and talented "old-school" actors we have. Since we've lost Ossie, it was all the more gratifying to see him win.

And Jamie Foxx! (The best part of the evening for me was his acceptance speech!)

nappynae
03-02-2005, 03:20 PM
don't have much to say - i watched it off and on. no matter how i try, even w/ chris rock hosting, i can never stay focused on it. very happy to see Freeman up there. and YES!!!!! J. FOXX SPEECH WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY EVENING!!!! i turned the tv off after that :lol:

did you see him on Oprah the next day? i'm so happy for him.

CocoButta
03-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Morgan Freeman is the best actor. It is a shame that we (me??) are only coming to know him in his older years, although I do remember him from the electric company and as Cicely Tyson's husban in that movie about the woman who formed her own school........Marva Collins .

He is a great actor....I think he should have won for the Shawshank Redemption!

I thought that Jaime Foxx was excellent in Ray also. Good for him for winning the award!