PDA

View Full Version : Old Soy Milk...

tjolims
02-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Okay...cows milk is bad enough when it goes bad...

...why is soy milk like twenty times worse? :shocker: Aagh!

I made the mistake of leaving my cereal bowl on the counter last night...and this morning I thought I had died and gone to funky cheese purgatory. Yuck!

And then I found that the whole refrigerated carton had gone a little funny in the smell.

I don't handle the decaying food thing very well at all, and I don't use milk products often enough to justify buying a carton of soy or cows milk that will only go bad. Do rice and almond milk do similarly bizarre things when they go bad?

vinny_46
03-01-2005, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by tjolims@Feb 28 2005, 02:11 PM
Okay...cows milk is bad enough when it goes bad...
...why is soy milk like twenty times worse? :shocker: Aagh!

I made the mistake of leaving my cereal bowl on the counter last night...and this morning I thought I had died and gone to funky cheese purgatory. Yuck!

And then I found that the whole refrigerated carton had gone a little funny in the smell.

:pointlaugh: :puke2: that sounds icky. I have kept some soy milk for about 15-20 days, I think it was supposed to be drank in 7-10, so I didn't touch it. Didn't smell bad, though. :dunno:

I've never tried rice or almond milk, but I'm interested.

I don't handle decaying food well, either.

eri
03-01-2005, 07:22 PM
yep, i've had smilk go bad on me before. it wasn't pretty. :icon_headshake: i'm not sure about rice/almond milk, though, cause i am always done by the time it would spoil. i think it would chunk up like soy milk if it was sour.

tjolims
03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Ugh...rice and almond do that too? I guess that's just the perils of milk in general, then...drats.

eri
03-03-2005, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by tjolims@Mar 2 2005, 05:46 PM
Ugh...rice and almond do that too? I guess that's just the perils of milk in general, then...drats.

now, don't quote me on that one. i'm always done a day or two before my "milk" expires.

feepee
03-03-2005, 06:24 PM
i've smelled rice milk JUST as it expires... it just smells kinda weird. if you know what fresh rice milk smells like, you'll know when it's not fresh anymore. lol. but the smell wasn't BAD IMO. it tasted (yes i tasted it!) nasty tho. not puke-worthy, but not good either.

my vanilla soy has never gone bad, cuz my son and i drink it within a couple days.

roxygirl
03-15-2005, 08:59 AM
I didn't even know soy milk could go bad so soon.

I buy the vanilla soy milk from Trader Joe's and it's usually good up to a month from the date I buy it. :dunno:

creativity
03-15-2005, 05:29 PM
I didn't realize soy went bad that quickly either.. I thought it lasts at least 1 -1 1/2?

creativity
03-15-2005, 05:31 PM
I didn't realize soy went bad that quickly either.. I thought it lasts at least 1 -1 1/2?

autumnleaves
03-22-2005, 07:32 AM
I love soymilk so much that it never sits in my fridge for more than 7 days after I open it lol. But I've had some soymilk that's hung out for a while at my mom's place and it was fine. I'd like to research which non dairy milks stay good the longest though.