PDA

View Full Version : Credit Reports Free In 12 More States

tdhayes
03-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Credit Reports FREE in 12 more states! (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/P71745.asp)

Looks like things are moving along...

tjolims
03-01-2005, 02:42 PM
I dunno...I jumped on this because my state was one of the first free ones...haven't received my free report yet.

feepee
03-01-2005, 02:51 PM
FYI. i got this email at work. i work for a credit union so we try to stay on top of this stuff.

The Attorney General’s office warns this new law to protect consumers could actually lead to scams from bad guys “phishing” for your personal information.

"It would be a scam artist sending an e-mail to you saying we're the free annual credit report data base and we want you to give us your social security number so we can offer you your free credit report."

It’s important to know that no one will contact you for these free credit reports. You must contact them. There are three ways to do this:

1) Logging onto www.AnnualCreditReport.com
2) Calling: 1-877-322-8228
3) Writing: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281

The reports will not include your credit score. You will need to pay extra for that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a reminder:

Starting Tuesday March 1, Minnesotans and other Midwest residents can receive one free personal credit report a year from each of the three major credit bureaus – Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion.

This is the result of the new Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions law. Credit reports typically cost about $9.00

Some companies and consumer advocacy groups have welcomed the law as a way to help consumers guard against identity theft – by checking their credit reports to ensure no suspicious activity, such as unauthorized purchases made with a credit card number, is taking place.

To get a copy of a credit report, consumers can go to a centralized system online at www.AnnualCreditReport.com (http://www.AnnualCreditReport.com), call 1-877-322-8228, or write to Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, Ga., 30348-5281.

Neosoul
03-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the article TD. Taking care of business financially and protecting oneself from the growing crime of identity theft is no joke.

-n_

afrochick
03-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Why does Delaware have to be so late ? :lol:

Oh well, since I review mine at least twice a year I'll get the free one in the fall.

I can't believe people are still responding to these wack e-mails and giving up personal information ???

chuchu
03-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Suze Orman spoke about this on her show sat nite. NY, we get our free reports in september. Thats fine with me cause I just got a report today and I want to see what my score will be by the end of the year. I a bit of cleaning to do.

Whitley Gilbert
03-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Even though North Carolina isn't quite there yet, thanks for the info. I'm gonna bookmark this and share it with a few others too.

ChaoticSoul
03-19-2005, 10:33 AM
geez, i have to wait until June