PDA

View Full Version : Are Black Girls Prey ?

SiennaMoonshine
03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
:(

Consider this: By at least some estimates, one in three teenage women will be in a controlling, abusive relationship before she graduates from high school; two-thirds of college freshman women report having been date-raped or having experienced an attempted date rape at least once; and one-fifth to one-half of U.S. women were sexually abused as children at least once, most of them by an adult male relative.

This is a quote from the following article:
<a href=\'http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NNR/is_4_34/ai_91815451\' target=\'_blank\'>Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health Sexual assertiveness and adolescents&#39; sexual rights - Viewpoint</a>

The following article is also interesting: <a href=\'http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1264/is_9_32/ai_81470484/pg_1\' target=\'_blank\'>Our girls in crisis: what every woman needs to know about the challenges of being young, Black and female - the war on girls</a>

All inexperienced people are vulnerable, but young, black people seem to come in for more than their share of heartbreak.

What are we doing to protect and prevent these statistics from perpetuating or increasing ?

tjolims
03-03-2005, 05:59 PM
:dunno: I honestly don&#39;t know of anything specific that we as a community could do. I&#39;m not saying there isn&#39;t a solution, I&#39;m just saying I don&#39;t know it...

...ultimately, I think that relational breakdowns of this type are the result of our social services system...we seem to be hell-bent on treating the symptoms and not the disease for situations like that. You can have all of the after-school programs, self-empowerment seminars, and statistical research groups you like, but that approach isn&#39;t working...the demand keeps going up while the number of people willing to fund and do the work to keep these things going goes down. That makes me think that it is the underlying community and some of the structures we&#39;ve put in place societally that has the problem...but how do you fix that? It took us hundreds of years to get to this place, is there a way to reverse that kind of damage?

Vizion
03-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by SiennaMoonshine@Mar 3 2005, 10:48 AM
What are we doing to protect and prevent these statistics from perpetuating or increasing

We are creating and sustaining organizations that target young Black women. Incite: Women of Color Against Violence (http://www.incite-national.org/about/index.html)is a great example of an organization aimed at empowering women and addressing systemic causes of domestic violence.

manhattan
03-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by tjolims@Mar 3 2005, 01:59 PM
:dunno: I honestly don&#39;t know of anything specific that we as a community could do. I&#39;m not saying there isn&#39;t a solution, I&#39;m just saying I don&#39;t know it...

...ultimately, I think that relational breakdowns of this type are the result of our social services system...we seem to be hell-bent on treating the symptoms and not the disease for situations like that. You can have all of the after-school programs, self-empowerment seminars, and statistical research groups you like, but that approach isn&#39;t working...the demand keeps going up while the number of people willing to fund and do the work to keep these things going goes down. That makes me think that it is the underlying community and some of the structures we&#39;ve put in place societally that has the problem...but how do you fix that? It took us hundreds of years to get to this place, is there a way to reverse that kind of damage?

Hey...Leave our social services alone....I am studying to be a social worker so I had to defend my profession..

But...I do think you are right though...I think we need focus on the problems and stop trying to manage the symptoms. I am thinking about talking to my pastor to start a ministry for little girls at my church. We really need to start early these days. I definitely feel the competitiveness of other black women. I just feel like a lot of black women hate each other and definitely see each other as competition. I
went to boarding school for a couple of years in high School and the majority of the girls in my school were from mexico and they were all so close, like sisters, and when I came to college, and started to hang out with black girls, it wasn&#39;t like that. It was like, people hating on each other over men and clothes...and people trying to ride in Esacalades and what not as freshmen...I mean, what happened to just having a good, I mean really good conversation?

I really believe this is my calling in life. There is so much as women we have to offer our younger sistas and daughters...what is holding us back?

mstnt
03-04-2005, 06:19 PM
I really believe this is my calling in life. There is so much as women we have to offer our younger sistas and daughters...what is holding us back?

[/quote]

That&#39;s good to hear cuz I&#39;m thinkin&#39; about studying to be a social worker myself, You just answered your own question in your post-HATE!!!