PDA

View Full Version : Shaving Legs

Nunu321
03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
For all the ladies who shave their legs...

I've started to notice that after shaving my legs, they have a burning sensation more frequently than I've experience before. Whenever it would happen before, I would attribute it to shaving too quickly. Does anyone else ever have that feeling? What products do you use to shave and what do you use to moisturize your sking afterward? Right now, I shave with Skintimate and will then follow up with whatever lotion I'm using at the time :D

Please help keep a sista from burning her legs off!!! :(

stillwater09
03-03-2005, 07:55 PM
sounds like razor burn. i used to get this sometimes after a) using a dull razor B) using a cheap razor (ie BIC for women) or c) not shaving in the shower--my legs have to be wet. I need a new double or triple blade for good results, so i would use men's razors. also it may help to not moisturize right after. Or change your moisterizer to a light oil, then use lotion about 30 mins later.

luckily i don't shave anymore :D

frohead
03-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I shave my legs in the summer and if I am going to wear a dress, or something. I find that the burning comes when you use a cheap or dull razor. Gillette makes a really good razor. It is the green one, for women. I can not think of the name of it, right now. I think that it is the Gilette Sensor. It is a little more expensive, but worth it, because it is less of a hassle. It also helps if you let your skin soak in the bath or shower for a little while, to soften the hair and skin. I also find that I get irritated if I have goosebumps while I am shaving. I hope that this helps.

Nunu321
03-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks Ladies!

I actually do use the Gilette Sensor razor, and it's relatively new so I didn't think that was the problem. I also only shave my legs in the shower. I'll try your suggestions about the oil and not moisturizing immediately after.

thunderstorm
03-04-2005, 02:00 PM
i can't remember the name of my shaver. it's a ladies shaver and the blades are wrapped in microfine wire to prevent cuts.

i have cut myself shaving with regular shavers and it's the worst sensation, especially near the ankles! :(

anyway, with my shaver, the wires prevent knicks caused by using too much pressure or shaving too fast. also the wrapped blades prevent you from overshaving an area, resulting in razor burn.

the cartridges are costly, but (depending on how frequently you shave) they can last a long time. i bought a new pack of cartridges early last year and i still have 2 cartridges left in the container.

i'm sorry i can't think of the brand.

it's blue/greenish and the handle is wide with soft-grip ridges for shower use.

clover
03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Check the ingredients in your moisturizer. If it contains AHA or any fruit acids that could be the culprit. Use an oil-based moisturizer or better yet shea butter.

wildandkinky
03-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Did you have goosebumps at the time?

liberationtheory
03-04-2005, 10:52 PM
i use hair conditioner to shave. my doctor told me that shaving cream can be irritating to skin b/c of all the crap in it. so conditioner softens your legs AND gives u a close shave. and i second what everyone else said about using a double-blade or triple-blade razor.

Nunu321
03-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by wildandkinky@Mar 4 2005, 06:47 PM
Did you have goosebumps at the time?

I don't think I did beforehand, but I did afterwards. I'll try liberty's suggestion about the hair conditioner. I don't think I would have ever thought of that. And I just replenished my shea butter so I'll be all buttered and freshly lubed in no time! :D

jennyjam
03-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Try shaving with 100% pure coconut oil or even baby oil in a pinch. Make sure your razor is sharp; rinse frequently while shaving, and follow-up immediately with more coconut oil.

After showering off...keep soap away from freshly shaved legs; pat dry gently and apply more coconut oil. You legs will be silky, smooth and mosit.

HTH

Jenn

luvmelocs
08-02-2006, 04:07 AM
:)

Chabela
08-02-2006, 04:23 AM
I use Gillette Venus 3 and hair conditioner to shave my legs. That's what I do when I try a new conditioner and don't like it! I'm one of those people that don't throw anything away before looking for an alternative way of using it.

setarcos
08-02-2006, 04:49 AM
I don't think I'll ever shave again (Except my underarms - like Monique said on the View, that's bad if it gets some "stank" on it. And it doesn't look good hanging out of a sleeveless top :) )

I get bumps and ingrown hairs every single time - whether I wax, shave, or use depilatory creams. The skin on my body just doesn't exfoliate itself fast enough - I still have ingrowns on my thighs from having shaved a decade ago. And no, loofahs, exfoliating lotions, etc don't help much.

I once got an almost full body professional wax, and just like with the creams, it was OK and smooth for about a day, but by the second day it was time for itching, bumps and ingrowns.

I'll wait until I have enough money for laser treatment. Of course, I must find one that's safe for dark skin.

Ketchup
08-02-2006, 10:25 AM
i use hair conditioner to shave. i second what everyone else said about using a double-blade or triple-blade razor.
[/b]

Ditto and I 'third' that :)

MsTee
08-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I shave with Schick Intuition, which is intended for use while in the shower. I shave, then bathe, then follow up on damp skin with a good moisturizing lotion like St. Ives or Johnson's. The only time I experienced a burning sensation was when I used Nair, and that's b/c I developed an allergic reaction to it...my legs break out into red hives. :angry:

http://www.schickintuition.com/

http://www.schickintuition.com/images/sck_prod_pic.gif

nappy_crown
08-02-2006, 01:12 PM
I guess I'm the only person that shaves with the cheapo single blade razors....and I NEVER have ingrowns on my legs.

I do use conditioner when I am in a pinch (works great too) or when I am traveling and at a hotel....but other wise I use Colgate shaving cream or soap and water. I always bath and let the shaving be the LAST thing I do in the shower......right before I rinse out my hair conditioner. After I pat dry, I apply baby oil to the freashly shaved skin.

And with my single blade razors, I trash them after 2 uses....becuase I shave about 2-3 times a week, I go through them pretty quick.

TalkingYam
08-02-2006, 01:23 PM
I shave with Schick Intuition, which is intended for use while in the shower. I shave, then bathe, then follow up on damp skin with a good moisturizing lotion like St. Ives or Johnson's. The only time I experienced a burning sensation was when I used Nair, and that's b/c I developed an allergic reaction to it...my legs break out into red hives. :angry: [/b]
Co-signing... this sucker ain't cheap, but I get a good close shave, no burning, no cuts...

blkbuttafly928
08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
If I shave too often or use a dull razor...yeah I do get that sensation. I put baby oil on in the shower and that usually works for me. I only use baby oil in the summer though. In the winter, I mix baby oil with my lotion and that works as well.