PDA

View Full Version : "guess Who"

Beautifulnappi
03-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Guess Who Movie (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/guess_who/)

Looks interesting, and I'm guessing the title is a play off "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"....

roxygirl
03-03-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't know how I feel about this.

I guess I just don't see the point in remaking it (in somewhat of a role reversal, you could say), especially as a comedy. :dunno:

Sekhmet
03-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Seen the trailers. Won't be patronizing it.

AgentDime
03-04-2005, 03:11 AM
looks interesting.
probably get it on bootleg if ever.
:bolt:

Dolliesdaughter
03-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I watched the trailer when I went to see hitched. Bernie Mac is not a good actor period. He is a good comedian on stage doing stand up. That is it.

ladycat81
03-04-2005, 12:53 PM
I think it looks pretty good. I don't think it's necessarily a remake, I just think they borrowed the interracial storyline and reversed it. I don't really like Ashton Kutcher but I really like Zoe Saldana and Bernie Mac, so I'll be seeing it for that reason.

afroqueen
03-04-2005, 08:10 PM
Can't wait to see it, however I am tired of Latinas representing black women but that's another thread.

vinny_46
03-04-2005, 08:34 PM
i'll wait for video

Claire76
03-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by afroqueen@Mar 4 2005, 04:10 PM
Can't wait to see it, however I am tired of Latinas representing black women but that's another thread.

Being black and latina aren't mutually exclusive.

(But in a sense, afroqueen, I think I know what you mean. I'm just saying...)

Also, for everybody's info...As far as I know, guess who is supposed to be a remake of the original GWCtD. Wish I had a link to where I read that, but I don't.

Ashton and Bernie were on Oprah a little while ago talking about the film.

roxygirl
03-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Claire76@Mar 4 2005, 03:14 PM
Also, for everybody's info...As far as I know, guess who is supposed to be a remake of the original GWCtD. Wish I had a link to where I read that, but I don't.

Ashton and Bernie were on Oprah a little while ago talking about the film.

Here's something (http://http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2005/DEFGH/Guess-Who/main.php#MovieInfo). :dunno:

Jendayi
03-05-2005, 12:14 AM
looks interesting to me. I like Bernie mac and Ashton so I will most likely be seeing it.

GurlwithCurls
03-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by afroqueen@Mar 4 2005, 09:10 PM

Zoe Saldana is clearly black. The fact that she is from another country (Dominican Republic) shouldn't mean she can't play black characters from America or any other country. No different than if a black actress originally from Jamaica played the part. Hell, half the American slave roles in the 90s went to Thandie Newton, a black Brit. White actresses do this all the time. Should Kate Winslet never play an American?

I would be more interested in this movie if goofy-*** Ashton Kutcher weren't in it. Lord I can't stand that boy. Why is he still famous?

floetry22
03-05-2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by GurlwithCurls@Mar 4 2005, 08:07 PM
Zoe Saldana is clearly black. The fact that she is from another country (Dominican Republic) shouldn't mean she can't play black characters from America or any other country. No different than if a black actress originally from Jamaica played the part. Hell, half the American slave roles in the 90s went to Thandie Newton, a black Brit. White actresses do this all the time. Should Kate Winslet never play an American?

Interesting... There was a thread about this topic a while back discussing Whoopi playing Celia Cruz.. A lot of folks on this board agreed that Whoopi should not play the role because she is not of Cuban descent, & they would have rather seen a black cuban play the role instead <_<

pwr_puff
03-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by roxygirl@Mar 3 2005, 06:41 PM

I guess I just don&#39;t see the point in remaking it (in somewhat of a role reversal, you could say), especially as a comedy. :dunno:

-i am disappointed that the only movies blacks will go to are comedies. :icon_headshake:
#1: im tired of all these remakes
#2: im tired of black movies that dont stimulate do well, and the ones that do are ignored.

nina
03-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Can&#39;t wait to see it, however I am tired of Latinas representing black women but that&#39;s another thread.
Latino/a is an ethnicity and not a race. A Latino/a can be Black, Indigenous, Spaniard/Portuguese, oftentimes a mixture of 2 or 3 of those things and even Asian, Afroqueen.

There are millions and millions and millions more African-descended Latinas in all of Latin America than the 17 million or so &#39;pure African blood&#39; BW in the United States.

tjolims
03-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by floetry22@Mar 5 2005, 12:14 AM
Interesting... There was a thread about this topic a while back discussing Whoopi playing Celia Cruz.. A lot of folks on this board agreed that Whoopi should not play the role because she is not of Cuban descent, & they would have rather seen a black cuban play the role instead <_<

You&#39;ve got a good memory...that thread was a *loooong* while back.

I didn&#39;t really like the original "Guess Who&#39;s Coming To Dinner", I just watched it because it had Sidney Poitier. Probably won&#39;t see this one, because Bernie Mac always plays the same character, and the thought of freaky-dork Ashton Kutcher salivating all over a black woman--latina or not--is just not so interesting to me.

Claire76
03-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by nina@Mar 5 2005, 08:10 PM
Latino/a is an ethnicity and not a race. A Latino/a can be Black, Indigenous, Spaniard/Portuguese, oftentimes a mixture of 2 or 3 of those things and even Asian, Afroqueen.

There are millions and millions and millions more African-descended Latinas in all of Latin America than the 17 million or so &#39;pure African blood&#39; BW in the United States.

Very well said.

I&#39;m doing my teaching practicum this term at a school with a very multiethnic student body. In one of the classes, one teen chided another: "So-and-So&#39;s Asian. Does she look Spanish to you?!"

It took everything in me not to say "WTH does it mean--to &#39;look&#39; Spanish?"

Topic?

The movie looks like it could be fun...OR it&#39;s gonna get on my last nerve. I predict a lot of cheesy humor.

watercolorz
03-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, Sydney Poitier (thrown in Ann Margaret as an extra)… for the remake they didn’t pick Don Chedle, Angela Basset, Jude Law (we’ll keep Zoe Saldana as the new extra). Make a movie about interracial dating that is relevant to a 2005 audience, which could have been interesting and witty… thought provoking as the first.

No instead you turn another classic into a comedy with Bernie and Ashton… Lord have mercy on them for they know not what they do… ~W

Claire76
03-06-2005, 02:53 PM
The movie could&#39;ve been more interesting if they&#39;d taken the subject matter serously.

Make a movie about interracial dating that is relevant to a 2005 audience, which could have been interesting and witty… thought provoking as the first.

There&#39;s nothing Hollywood loves more than to dumb things down...

:(

BrittanyanJ
03-06-2005, 03:44 PM
So who would be &#39;the&#39; guy to play the role that Ashton Kutcher has? Hmmmm..who would y&#39;all say would make a picture-perfect WM-BF couple?

BrittanyanJ
03-06-2005, 03:44 PM
So who would be &#39;the&#39; guy to play the role that Ashton Kutcher has? Hmmmm..who would y&#39;all say would make a picture-perfect WM-BF couple?

rozlips
03-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Personally I like Ashton Kutcher on That 70s Show. Haven&#39;t seen him in anything else. I haven&#39;t seen Bernie Mac in anything, so I can&#39;t really comment on him. I doubt I&#39;ll go see this film, though I probably will have a Blockbuster night with it.

From what I get from the previews they&#39;re not trying to do a remake of Guess Who&#39;s Coming to Dinner. After all, that movie did involve a black man and white woman, it seems like they were trying to make a mindless little comedy.

Sunchild
03-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Dang, looks like I wont ever make it to another theatre again.

:lol: :rolleyes:

caraqueen
03-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Not particularly excited about seeing it, feeling rather indifferent about it.............. :mellow:

LadyEve
03-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Beautifulnappi@Mar 3 2005, 08:21 PM
Guess Who Movie (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/guess_who/)

Looks interesting, and I&#39;m guessing the title is a play off "Guess Who&#39;s Coming to Dinner"....

Not impressed with Kutchner, he is not a good actor. Is he the one who has that stupid MTV show "Punked"? The movie is being played to reinforce the already accepted fact that black women cannot find good black men. In Poitier&#39;s version he brought home a white woman. God I am a tired of this. Thank goodness for Diary of A Mad Black Woman. Great Movie. Wonderful acting, and for once, a great love story between a black man and a black woman.

Denny
09-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Saw this on DVD, I enjoyed it, entertaining enough for a comedy, no it won&#39;t change the world on IR couples but then why should it, its a Hollywood movie, a money making machine, not a United Nations documentary. Would have been more interesting to have the more afro actress who played the younger sister in the leading role tho....... :D

China
09-26-2005, 07:54 PM
I just saw it yesterday. It&#39;s a good movie.

rockymntdry
09-26-2005, 10:00 PM
i agree
it was a cute movie. won&#39;t winn any oscars, but it was entertaining and sweet. and even though i don&#39;t usually like ashton kutcher, i thought he was very charming.

charli
09-26-2005, 10:41 PM
I saw it on DVD as well. It has its good and bad parts. It touches on some of the issues that come up in IRs, but it got too bufoonish and textbook at parts (the dinner scene with the black jokes), the electric slide (side note: why does every movie involving black people and a party have to involve the electric slide?).

Honestly, I don&#39;t think people want to see a REAL movie that REALLY addresses issues with IR dating. Well, not enought people to make the movie profitable enough for a big studio.

rockymntdry
09-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by charli@Sep 26 2005, 10:41 PM
I saw it on DVD as well. It has its good and bad parts. It touches on some of the issues that come up in IRs, but it got too bufoonish and textbook at parts (the dinner scene with the black jokes), the electric slide (side note: why does every movie involving black people and a party have to involve the electric slide?).

Honestly, I don&#39;t think people want to see a REAL movie that REALLY addresses issues with IR dating. Well, not enought people to make the movie profitable enough for a big studio.

most times we go to movies to escape reality, so why would you go see a movie that dealt with issues in a realistic way (not that i don&#39;t want to see one, i am just playing devil&#39;s advocate)? escapeism is what drives the movie industry IMHO. why else do people get so excited at movies where one guy/girl fights an entire army and not only lives but beats them all. now that is just silly. ;)

nappydee78
09-27-2005, 02:36 PM
I actually went to the movies and saw it and that it was funny and cute. While it was not as dramatic as the original nor even close to its caliber, I still enjoyed the movie. Sometimes light-hearted comedy is needed. Sometimes people take too many things to serious.

Now if you want to see Ashton Kutchner play a serious role check out The Butterfly Effect! I loved him in that role!

LadyLibra
09-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by nappydee78@Sep 27 2005, 09:36 AM
Now if you want to see Ashton Kutchner play a serious role check out The Butterfly Effect! I loved him in that role!

:smil3f9cf95099cff: i had only seen Ashton on That 70&#39;s Show (which i like) and an episode of Punk&#39;d (which i hate), so i was not too geeked about seeing him in any movie. but i was pleasantly surprised by The Butterfly Effect. ;)

i will not see Guess Who? until they run it on cable. i don&#39;t have money to waste like that, LOL. :lol:

DSTDIVA
09-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by charli@Sep 26 2005, 04:41 PM

:pointlaugh: LMAO!! Charli, you ain&#39;t lying. A lot of movies with blacks does involve the electric slide!!!

nakisha
09-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by watercolorz@Mar 6 2005, 08:23 AM
Spencer Tracy, Katherine Hepburn, Sydney Poitier (thrown in Ann Margaret as an extra)… for the remake they didn’t pick Don Chedle, Angela Basset, Jude Law (we’ll keep Zoe Saldana as the new extra). Make a movie about interracial dating that is relevant to a 2005 audience, which could have been interesting and witty… thought provoking as the first.

No instead you turn another classic into a comedy with Bernie and Ashton… Lord have mercy on them for they know not what they do… ~W

(trying to find the clapping hands)

yes, butterfly affect was good.

Mae
09-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by charli@Sep 26 2005, 05:41 PM

:dunno:At Most, if not all, of the Black parties that I have gone to, Black folk have done the electric slide (Hustle). It is a significant part of our culture.....as for the Black jokes, I thought it was real daring of them to do that..... there is a difference between comedy and bufoondry (is that a word)....