PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Kick the Dairy Habit

Malia78
01-21-2003, 07:20 PM
I have been trying to break my dairy habit for a while now. I am addicted to cheese. I have gotten better ( Iused to be able to eat a block of cheddar in one setting ). I am fasting this week to cleanse my body and after I break fast I plan to give up dairy. Has anyone else struggled with a dairy addiction if so, how did you break your habit?

Papillion
01-21-2003, 07:31 PM
I had a serious milk/ cheese habit, too. I had a thousand ways to eat cheese in every imaginable way. What I did was go cold turkey. I had tried that substitute soy cheese (urp) and didn't like it. So I just cut milk and cheese out of my diet. Cereal? I use rice/ soy milk. Occasionally I have ice cream, tho. And rarely have cheese ('cept for Moms mac n' cheese in a TINY portion). No pizza for a few years, now only rarely.

Avoid the cheese aisle in the store and throw out (or give away) all the cheese you have in the house.

Now, the thought of melted cheese makes me nauseous (sp) and I used to eat a block a day, so I thing it just takes time.

HTH

narcissaqtpie
01-21-2003, 10:58 PM
I have been trying to break my dairy habit for a while now. I am addicted to cheese. I have gotten better ( Iused to be able to eat a block of cheddar in one setting ). I am fasting this week to cleanse my body and after I break fast I plan to give up dairy. Has anyone else struggled with a dairy addiction if so, how did you break your habit?

You may want to definately try soy-the milk is pretty good and is very fortified. I tried vege cheese and it smelled like.....budussy, it tasted pretty icky too. I still eat regular cheese-it's my weakness. How was the soy cheese Papillion?

Papillion
01-22-2003, 12:14 AM
Welp, the soy cheese had a bit of an aftertaste (slightly bitter/ odd?) if I used the slices on sandwiches. The shredded kind tasted ok on tacos, but that stuff doesn't melt too well.

Also, the soy cheese gives me a bit of gas :? and, frankly the trots (sorry)...so beware....try small doses first!!

HTH

narcissaqtpie
01-22-2003, 03:50 AM
Welp, the soy cheese had a bit of an aftertaste (slightly bitter/ odd?) if I used the slices on sandwiches. The shredded kind tasted ok on tacos, but that stuff doesn't melt too well.

Also, the soy cheese gives me a bit of gas :? and, frankly the trots (sorry)...so beware....try small doses first!!

HTH

Yikes! I'll pass..

crazylikedatglue
01-22-2003, 05:47 AM
SOY CHEESE IS JUST PLAIN NASTY :crazyeyes: I have tried every brand, and I just can not stand it. The older I become the more diffculty I have digesting all dairy products. Although everytime I eat dairy products it results in some ill smellin' gas :oops: , I still eat the stuff. I really need to cut the cheese (excuse my pun :shock:

jacura
01-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Have you considered just trying the 2% or skim milk cheese or milk?? That is what I have done...I have cut back on my diary intake.

Malia78
01-22-2003, 05:42 PM
narcissa...BADUSSY, LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not badussy that must have been some foul ish :lol:

jacura, I have tried skim and 2 percent but I am convinced that my body does not like diary products at all. I actually think they aggrevate my breakouts and make them ten times worse then they would be if I didnt eat it at all. I am going to try to just go cold turkey :)

ihgemini
01-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Blessings,
I still have the dairy addiction blues. I just can't give up the cheese!! I drink soy milk and love it with cereal. I cook with real eggs, but have learned to make great vegetable omelets with egg beaters (with cheese of course).I think dairy may be something I may have to consider giving up soon too.

I have started mixing 1% milk with an equal amount of powdered milk to help cut on fat and cost for my daughter and cooking. This has stretched out milk to the point I only buy it every 8-10 weeks if drinking consistenly. This may be helpful for those who don't like skim.

The best way to wean is probably to mix what u like with what you are trying to intake in your diet.

Fauryn78
01-23-2003, 04:52 AM
Well good for you!!! :P I would like to make the next step to vegan...but I also have a weakness for cheese...I guess I'm just not ready yet...Good luck to you!

NaturalLove
01-23-2003, 05:54 PM

You may want to definately try soy-the milk is pretty good and is very fortified. I tried vege cheese and it smelled like.....budussy, it tasted pretty icky too. I still eat regular cheese-it's my weakness. How was the soy cheese Papillion?

Badussy? That's disgusting!

eri
01-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Fauryn78 wrote:

Well good for you!!! I would like to make the next step to vegan...but I also have a weakness for cheese...I guess I'm just not ready yet...Good luck to you!

i guess i'm not read, either, 'cause i love provologne and cheddar. but i definately pass on the milk.

Shedac
01-24-2003, 01:28 AM
I stay away from dairy, but not by choice. I'm lactose intolerant. I actually love dairy but can't have it unless I take a ton of lactaid and that's usually a nuisance. I don't drink the soy milk, I just drink the supermarket brand non-dairy kind. It's like Lactaid w/o the aftertaste, will usually say lactose free on the carton.

I haven't found a non-dairy cheese that's tasted great right out the pack, but I find that if you have it with something it's not bad. Actually you barely taste it, I think it's kinda like being given a placebo...you know there's supposed to be cheese on tuna melt so you put the cheese on it and pretend like it's real cheese, but it tastes like air :)).

I actually had my first non-dairy chili last week. I missed real cheese and real sour cream (I used non dairy cheese and sour cream) but it didn't hurt the meal any.

Sheda

P.S. I've tried the Soy chocolate pudding, has a slight after taste at first, but you get used to it. Not bad, not bad at all

PEBBLES
01-24-2003, 12:05 PM
I like soy milk and soy ice cream but I can't find a good soy cheese. :roll:

raysrib
01-27-2003, 08:19 PM
You all have inspired me to quit the dairy products....wish I had read this before I baked a big ole cheesecake for my hubby. :oops: I tried a low-fat recipe on him, and he seemed to like it pretty well. I thought it was very tasty. But after that..no more dairy! I do like soy milk though. The vanilla flavored kind is so good with cereal and sliced bananas! YUM!!

raysrib

chocol8diva714
01-27-2003, 08:36 PM
Hey ladies!!

I'm also trying to kick the dairy habit....right now I am drinking mostly soy mil (vanilla) with my cereal but, I am also concerned about CHEESE!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOOOOOVVVVVE cheese!! So, does anyone have some beginners suggestions for soy cheese? Also, I am trying to lose weight and wonder where in the caloric and fat range soy cheeseis....y'all yave been such a WONDERFUL resource!!

Smooches and blessings :P