PDA

View Full Version : Another Black Entertainment Channel

bigshirle
03-04-2005, 02:13 PM
I don't know why there's only one Black television station. There are about 20 Spanish-speaking t.v stations. Why do we only have one? It would be nice to have more options when it comes to viewing Black t.v. What kind of programs would you like to see on BET or another t.v station dedicated to Black people?
I would like to see:
Less rap videos and more RNB.
Black plays
Dancing like Alvin Ailey
Tell it is: This is a forum comprised of Black ppl
Educational programs
Black movies of substance like John Q and Antwone Fisher

rozlips
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I would like to see more black and African history covered. There are tons of black history sites that most of us will never get to because we don't live in an urban center. This morning on C-Span they had a tour of an exhibit of the signers of Constitution. It was very interesting and informative. I would like to see tours of various historical places covered. I think it would be very interesting.

I'd like to see segments on black literature.

JazziePizzaz
03-05-2005, 06:55 PM
There needs to be a black station that doesn't play into the stereotype that black people are only interested in entertainment. I don't even really watch BET anymore. Once they were sold to the white man all the positive black shows (ie: shows like Tavis Smiley, and Teen Summit) were pulled. Now they just show videos, the same lame 3 movies, and more videos. I'm surprised the news is still airing.

I heard something about another black station "The Black Family Channel." But it's not on my cable.
Black Family Channel (http://www.hoovers.com/black-family-channel/--ID__109323--/freeuk-co-factsheet.xhtml)

Jina
03-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by rozlips@Mar 4 2005, 11:10 AM
I would like to see more black and African history covered. There are tons of black history sites that most of us will never get to because we don't live in an urban center. This morning on C-Span they had a tour of an exhibit of the signers of Constitution. It was very interesting and informative. I would like to see tours of various historical places covered. I think it would be very interesting.

I'd like to see segments on black literature.

ITA and could not have said it better! ;)

Peace & Love

napturallyme
03-06-2005, 04:08 PM
There are 2 other black stations, TV-One (only available on Comcast) and the Black Family Channel. TV-One shows syndicated black shows, they have a makeover show, a cooking show, Living it Up with Patti Labelle, B-Smith's show, Donna Richardson's workout show, a dating show, and they show old black films. At first I didn't care for the station, but it's improving. I can't watch BFC, they don't really show anything I want to watch.

I would like to see a black station that has mainly original programing similar to what the major networks offer. BET is nothing but the black, bootleg version of MTV. I watch MTV more than BET.

Afrocentric
03-06-2005, 04:23 PM
i'd like to find out where other african decent people are living. for instance, i had no idea there were black people in the netherlands.

there should be shows that portray the broader spectrum of "black". i'd love see black nuns and where i can go as a person of african descent and be welcomed in their country. i'd like to see black mountain climbers and what our people find to do in places like japan, thailand, and india. we're in every country...why can't we see that?

OneBlood
03-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Why do we need another enter(con)tainment channel to begin with, anyway?

BET is not worth watching... everyone knows the majority of the programming is derogatory to Afrikan People. Why continue with adding another channel to add on to the garbage?

"Keep 'em laughin, singin, and dancin... the baffoons..."

:icon_headshake:

amsassy
03-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Have you guys heard of TvOne? Its a great tv station. Its what BET should have been. In Texas, we asked for it now we have it. Comcast, DirecTV, and Dishnetwork subscribers should have this option.

Its a great Channel. They have Living w/Patti Labelle, A cooking show (a real cooking show), Art, movies, news. You name it they have. Its much much better than BET.+

Peace

nappyjacki
03-07-2005, 03:12 PM
I think that if we do have another black channel that it should be more educated and talk about things that would open our minds instead of just seeing the same ol' stuff that we see all of the time.

caramelaggie
03-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I keep hearing about TV one! I wish that I got that station. It seems like you can laugh and be informed on that channel.

mrandmrsmer
03-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I wholeheartedly agree!

A channel that shows good black movies, good music videos, a health show or two, and a few lifestyle/home improvement shows would be great!

Hajirah
03-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Afrocentric@Mar 6 2005, 05:23 PM
i'd like to find out where other african decent people are living. for instance, i had no idea there were black people in the netherlands.

there should be shows that portray the broader spectrum of "black". i'd love see black nuns and where i can go as a person of african descent and be welcomed in their country. i'd like to see black mountain climbers and what our people find to do in places like japan, thailand, and india. we're in every country...why can't we see that?

I like this idea I would love to see how my other brothers and sisters live and relate,about thier experiences and out looks this would be like an extented family tree of diffrent blacks,(there are blacks in the netherlands? :) see that's a new one.

Hajirah
03-07-2005, 04:31 PM
I thought they were coming up with a competeing chanel maybe that is the one another sister mention BFC. But I would like to see a great Black drama or soap opera it can be as chessy as the one Tom Joyner puts on on his radio show or something as fingersnapping as a Dynasty type feel. Talk shows with real depth and converstation. I would love to watch more black movies,popular and independent films. Sitcoms like Girlfriends, and Dramas like Soulfood. I like speeches and lectures that are covered on Cnn during Black forums. I would like to see a all natural black womens show staring Napptural women! Teenage Dramas and how they deal with the world around them . I could list so many things I would like to see. But alas we are merely butty shakin gangsters because that's we have allowed to continue on BET with out calling them out. Its a shame. I wish my spanish was better at least I would have more options :D

bigshirle
03-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by OneBlood@Mar 6 2005, 08:18 PM
Why do we need another enter(con)tainment channel to begin with, anyway?

BET is not worth watching... everyone knows the majority of the programming is derogatory to Afrikan People. Why continue with adding another channel to add on to the garbage?

"Keep 'em laughin, singin, and dancin... the baffoons..."

:icon_headshake:

Well, that's why I think there should be another channel devoted to Blacks. I don't only want to see videos, "how i'm living", and all other crap they show. I need more. I need to see documentaries, workshops, etc... The only day that programming is different on BET is Sundays. We need more variety.

bigshirle
03-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Hajirah@Mar 7 2005, 05:31 PM
I thought they were coming up with a competeing chanel maybe that is the one another sister mention BFC. But I would like to see a great Black drama or soap opera it can be as chessy as the one Tom Joyner puts on on his radio show or something as fingersnapping as a Dynasty type feel. Talk shows with real depth and converstation. I would love to watch more black movies,popular and independent films. Sitcoms like Girlfriends, and Dramas like Soulfood. I like speeches and lectures that are covered on Cnn during Black forums. I would like to see a all natural black womens show staring Napptural women! Teenage Dramas and how they deal with the world around them . I could list so many things I would like to see. But alas we are merely butty shakin gangsters because that's we have allowed to continue on BET with out calling them out. Its a shame. I wish my spanish was better at least I would have more options :D

Girl, i think you're in my head because i've been yearning for Black drama series. Something like "Law and Order" or "CSI". "New York Undercover" had a good run but we need something else. I would also love to see a Black soap opera. i think the closet that we got to that was Comic view's "Blacker the berry the sweeter juice". I believe that was the name of it. It had Ms. Laura in it. It was absolutely ghetto though.

Dolliesdaughter
03-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by napturallyme@Mar 6 2005, 12:08 PM
There are 2 other black stations, TV-One (only available on Comcast) and the Black Family Channel. TV-One shows syndicated black shows, they have a makeover show, a cooking show, Living it Up with Patti Labelle, B-Smith's show, Donna Richardson's workout show, a dating show, and they show old black films. At first I didn't care for the station, but it's improving. I can't watch BFC, they don't really show anything I want to watch.

I would like to see a black station that has mainly original programing similar to what the major networks offer. BET is nothing but the black, bootleg version of MTV. I watch MTV more than BET.

Direct TV offers TV 1