PDA

View Full Version : Cheap @ssed Way Of Getting Curl Def

jazzypom
07-26-2003, 02:45 PM
hey yah guys, i got some conditioner samples from LUSH (a store of fairly natural goods, check www.lush.co.uk). Its a really nifty little product - a conditioner bar that you put on your hair after shampooing.

Its basically coca and shea butter with cetaryl alcohol, some fruit extracts and oils. The thing is, the conditioner bars stank to high heaven (made my head hurt with that sweet, syrupy synthetic smell... ugh! Had to throw them out!) but it got me to thinking.

I got a cocoa butter bar this morning, and after my hair was washed, i rubbed it over the tresses - it made it really coily and softened it loads. Its okay for curl definition (made it shiny and felt smooth even when dry) but you have to wash it out with shampoo.

So, a recipe that i am thinking off is
one part cocoa butter
one part shea butter (or prolly less)
one part oil (because i want this to be a bar) prolly avocado or castor oil
with some rose and flower absolutes to make my hair smell nice
cetaryl alcohol to keep the bar's shape.

Melt, pour in mold, add e.o.'s before hardening, put down to cool.

Stroke onto hair while wet, preferably after washing it out with warm water so that the butter bar can melt when you stroke it on your hair.

just a thought, probably you may like this one, honeychild - for the softness and sheen.

for you sisters out there that seek coil curl definition, it may save some dosh and the health of your hair.

If it does not work for your hair - rub it on your skin before you come out of the bath.

yours ever
jp

honeychild
07-26-2003, 03:21 PM
y'know, jp -- this does sound really interesting. :thumbsup: too bad i've already washed my hair this morning, i would've rubbed one of my Lightning Bars in to test out this neat idea ;)

it is hard for me to find cetearyl alchohol though... is it easier to get in the UK? it is one of the ingredients in FNWL's emulsifying wax, but i haven't seen it alone as a single ingredient. it is a harderner? do you think stearic acid would work instead? that's listed on another ingredients site as a 'soap hardener.' hmm....

napptical1
07-26-2003, 03:30 PM
jazz, have you tried the H’Suan Wen Hua? sounded interested. I may try this, though I am a novice product developer. maybe I will buy one of honey's lighting bars and try that.

thanks for the site link and the tip.

hail moisture!!!!!

jazzypom
07-26-2003, 03:48 PM
yeah honey child, cetaryl alcohol is a harderner. Its like a 'binder' for products that you can use in addition to or in place of beeswax ( i dont like beeswax, we just can't get on). Its like little wax pellets that you add to your oil and water mixture.

hmmm... i know that neal's yard sells it - that's where i got mine in the UK. I dont see why they could not sell it in the US on their site...

yeah, stearic acid could work, but from what i gather, it thickens the product slightly compared to cetaryl alcohol (that gives it weight and form). Most products use the two at once, if you notice.

try the idea out when you have time, and tell me how it works out.

yours ever

jp

jazzypom
07-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by napptical1@Jul 26 2003, 03:30 PM
jazz, have you tried the H’Suan Wen Hua? sounded interested. I may try this, though I am a novice product developer. maybe I will buy one of honey's lighting bars and try that.

thanks for the site link and the tip.

hail moisture!!!!!
hey napptical,

yeah, i did try it but the scent was funky. I really like LUSH's The Strokes alot better, i may use it as a runny conditioner.

yours
jp