PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter To The Girl Referred To As A Hood Rat

SiennaMoonshine
03-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Dear Hardhead,

Hi, my name is SiennaMoonshine. I live in the neighborhood. I have something very important to say to you, so please hear me out.

First of all, I acknowledge that you are an adult and are, theoretically at least, free to make decisions on matters that affect you and yours without comment from me -- until it begins to encroach on the lives of others. It is for this reason, I must say -- and it gives me great pain to do so ... You are messing up so badly, its embarrassing! :horse: This affects not just you, but your family and the community in general.

I know that life for you has not been smooth. I saw how, after your Dad left, the kids at school teased you when you had to wear your big sister's old pants and got a hole in one knee. But that does not excuse your spending money you don't have on designer this and designer that. You need to save what you can and pay some bills with the rest, so the poor gas man can get a break from coming to turn it off and on every couple of months.

I know we are living in a hip-hop generation, but you don't have to subscribe to every derogatory comment those rappers throw out. Try wearing a dress that covers a little more of you. And make it not so tight. You're somebody's mama now. You don't have to spend so much on those tired hair weaves. They are unbeweavably awful. And those nail extensions are way too long. How are you going to get or keep a job with those things ? Remember, you lost the last one trying to be cute, while pecking at the cash register.

I know it hurts, but stop spending so much money on shoes. You could think about some additional training, so the next job won't be so boring. You could save for a rainy day. Then you could move out from your mother's house and that would cut way down on everyone's stress level. I know you blame her for that lousy boyfriend she had, who tried to molest you when she had to work overtime, but your uncle came in time to prevent that. Don’t be so hard on her. She had got to a lonely place and fell for the okey-doke. She didn’t know he would try anything like that, and she certainly got rid of him quick, fast and in a hurry when she learned of it.

Watch whom you date. Don't subscribe to the hype that as a black woman, you have to accept whatever, whenever. You deserve to be spoken to with respect. I want you to know what its like to have a man try to ease the burden in your day -- by making dinner for you once in a while or coming to help you with those grocery bags or running you a nice bubble bath. Don't bother with these boys who are still wet behind the ears. Hold out for the real deal. If the black-americans can't recognize you, date someone non-black. Good people come in all colors. It might be best not to date at all until you can make some progress in your personal growth. When you are feel like garbage, you only attract people who want to take out the trash.
If a man hits you, let it only be once. He should never have another opportunity. Ignore tears and promises that it won’t happen again. Don’t accept the idea that it’s all your fault; that you must learn not to make him mad. You can’t make him anything. A man who can’t control his rage is no better than an animal.

Avoid the walking wounded. They'll always need more, no matter how much you give. Don't spend the money that should go to your children on some lazy Negro. Let him get a job. Nobody is too good to work. If he can't handle McDonald's, there are a lot of entry-level positions he can apply for. If he hasn’t learned to read well encourage him to get this skill under his belt.

Don't fall for a man based on what is in his pants or his pants pocket. Find out what is on his mind -- if anything beside himself and his wants. Don't ask too much. Its hard for a decent black man to get ahead in this system. If he works hard, treats you with respect, nurtures the children and cares for you -- my girl, you have struck gold. You don't need a thug; who will lay out the bling-bling, but never be there when you need him; who will leave you hanging with his baby or an STD, or just a heavy heart at being used again. These incidents are what rob you of rest, peace, and the strength to go on the next day. These are what make you so bitter, nearly every comment is laced with antagonism.

I saw you at the public health clinic, when I came there to have my baby immunized. You were at the VD clinic. We pretended we didn’t see each other, but we did . Who did you think had given you an STD ? It’s a dumb way to die; almost 100% preventable.

You don't need a playa', who thinks that being faithful is being a punk. Don't let anyone treat you like trick. Sex is an adult activity. If you can't discuss it, including the safety aspects and what will happen as a result of an unplanned pregnancy, you aren't ready for it. If he's too cute to use a condom, he's letting you know he only cares about himself -- and not very much, at that.

A real man can commit to a real woman. That means both of you have the responsibility to be what you should be. This may mean you'll have to go out and acquire new skills. Your mother wasn't prepared for the complexities of the world we live in now, but I'm sure she did her best.

You've got to take care of yourself from the inside, too, like how to prepare a meal that isn't chock-full of fat, cholesterol or sugar. And please, stop frying everything that goes in everybody's mouth at your house. Regular trips to McDonalds now mean regular trips to the health clinic later.

Turn down that entertainment system. Read a book now and then. (Yes, a book.) They have all kinds that speak to all manner of subjects. Once you expand your mind, your body can follow. Research major purchases before you make them. Don't buy a car or anything major without counting the cost. You don't want to have the repo man hunting you down again, do you ?

Watch your mouth. If you have something to say, there's dictionaries all over. Excessive profanity is for the unimaginative. Learn a few adjectives and really be heard. And tone it down a little. When you know who you are, there's no need to shout. Stop gossiping about folks. You can watch or read the news to get some issues to discuss, instead of other folk's business.

Chill on the bad attitude. I know you get a lot of negativity, but learn to meditate. Find some healthy ways to handle frustration. Don't take it out on the next unsuspecting person who happens along. Kickboxing is a great way to punch out your hostility.

You are a beauty in your own right. Don't let the America males' mistaken worship of blond hair and all things Caucasian-like, trick you into thinking that the natural you isn't good enough. Be the best you you can be, not a poor imitation of someone else, famous or not. Don't spend your life and every discretionary dime you get, trying to be something you're not. That's a fool's game.

I know I've been long winded, but I had to get this off my chest. I've been worried about you and the problems your situation creates. Did you know your son has started to 'act out' the chaos in your home ? That's why he was suspended from school again.

I remember when we were little girls. You were so cute, with your pig tails and pink barrettes. Life was simpler then, wasn't it ? I thought you'd be further along in meeting your goals by now. I guess you did too. Well, stuff happens. That's life. You've got to reach out and get the help you need to overcome the humps and bumps. Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Don’t hate on me because things are a bit more stable in my life. I come from a family to strong black women, who refused to beaten by divorce, poverty or racism. They insisted that after each defeat, I rest for a while, eat some homemade pie flavored with loving kindness and get up to start again. I have had my failures as well. I am not ashamed to get down on my knees and ask for help from the One who made me and loves me despite my shortcomings. You don’t have such role models in your family ? Make your own family. Build your support network from those who demonstrate that they have your best interests at heart and have wisdom to impart.

I know you can be so much more than you appear to be when you are stomping around in front of the house; picking fights with the first one to come along. I'll be glad to help, if I can. If not, I'm sure we can locate someone. We used to play in the yard with marbles. Remember how we held them up to the light and pretended they were real jewels ? We were the jewels. We still are. But we can't see you shine, if you carry yourself without self-respect.

I couldn't catch you in, so I wrote this all down. I hope you took the time to read it and will respond. I wish the best for you.

Peace out. :Cool_049:

feepee
03-07-2005, 09:02 PM
question: is this to someone you know in particular? or just a general letter to all the women you consider to be "hoodrats"?

QueenLocks
03-07-2005, 09:04 PM
OK, after reading the first 9 paragraphs, one question {2 parts}

IS this for someone on THIS Site/Forum, OR one of your actual neighbors? :huh:

SiennaMoonshine
03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
No, I'm not addressing anyone in particular. I'm addressing the girl-women I see in passing that I would love to sit down and have a serious sister-girl talk with, but they are so busy patting down their fake hair weave or cursing out their own kids that I can't stop to deal with the madness.

Basically, I wanted to have a dialogue on the black women who let themselves and everyone else down; what the causes and what the solutions might be. But once I started writing, I realized I had a lot of pent-up comments I wanted to get off my chest.

bruinhotty
03-08-2005, 04:03 AM
I thought this was a good provoking letter to those who have not learned how to prioritze spiritual needs before material ones.

leshapesha03
03-08-2005, 04:10 AM
Awesome letter! Print it out and pass it around to some of these "young ladies!"

PrincessDrRe
03-08-2005, 04:14 AM
You did have some truth in it.....

CatSuga
03-08-2005, 06:18 AM
God bless the hoodrat.

mgtgcc
03-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Very engaging and thought provoking.

ETA: Are you going to create an email chain?

DymSx
03-08-2005, 03:34 PM
God bless the hoodrat.

I don't know if that was suppose to be funny, and if it wasn't, I apologize for laughing for the last five minutes.

feepee
03-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SiennaMoonshine@Mar 7 2005, 05:09 PM
No, I'm not addressing anyone in particular. I'm addressing the girl-women I see in passing that I would love to sit down and have a serious sister-girl talk with, but they are so busy patting down their fake hair weave or cursing out their own kids that I can't stop to deal with the madness.

Basically, I wanted to have a dialogue on the black women who let themselves and everyone else down; what the causes and what the solutions might be. But once I started writing, I realized I had a lot of pent-up comments I wanted to get off my chest.

oh i see. the vent thread would also be a good place to put this.

but i wouldn't advise you to follow leshapesha03's advise. i don't see how passing the letter to these folks is gone help.

but the ideas to sincerely talking to them is more along the lines of what i do. alot of the girls and WOMEN (grown *** women) i know who are like that just have kinda lost hope. some think that there is no other way, or are unwilling to try and break the cycle.

BioChic
03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
great letter! It makes me remember some of the girls i went to school went whose lives took a turn different than mine.

Chlyric Images
03-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by leshapesha03@Mar 7 2005, 09:10 PM
Awesome letter! Print it out and pass it around to some of these "young ladies!"

And get hit in the mouth. I wish somebody would give me a letter that says Dear Hoodrat. LMAO.

Sacral
03-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Good letter. Well put.

There was a girl I grew up with who still needs this letter even today as a grown woman. My family is still raising one of her kids while she's in and out of jail, clinics for STD's, and rehab.

She wouldn't read it, though........

- Sacral

caraqueen
03-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Mar 8 2005, 04:48 PM
oh i see. the vent thread would also be a good place to put this.
but i wouldn't advise you to follow leshapesha03's advise. i don't see how passing the letter to these folks is gone help.

but the ideas to sincerely talking to them is more along the lines of what i do. alot of the girls and WOMEN (grown *** women) i know who are like that just have kinda lost hope. some think that there is no other way, or are unwilling to try and break the cycle.

Um, I kind of viewed the letter as belonging in the vent thread as well, I don't think that any woman is going to be receptive to a letter saying Dear Hardhead ^_^ : ETA: I say if you have a personal relationship with someone where you can talk like that tothem and they not be offended go for it , but the random woman on the street has to be left to her own devises even if her behavior may be hurtful......to the community or to herself. What decisions she makes are noone else's business.

Chlyric Images
03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
I would like to know, just out of curiosity,

If you

1. Genuinely care about the woman and want her to have a better life.

or

2. Embarrased by her behaviour and wishes she would get it together so she can stop shaming her race/gender

feepee
03-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Chlyric Images@Mar 8 2005, 02:08 PM

If you

or

2. Embarrased by her behaviour and wishes she would get it together so she can stop shaming her race/gender

from the tone of the letter, what do YOU think? <_< but i&#39;m trying not to go there cuz folks like it up there on their high horses. who am i to pull &#39;em down :dunno:

sonce
03-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Chlyric Images@Mar 8 2005, 06:08 PM
And get hit in the mouth. I wish somebody would give me a letter that says Dear Hoodrat. LMAO.

:lol: :lol: :pointlaugh:

Miquie
03-08-2005, 07:39 PM
You know what sis... I totally got it. I understand where you&#39;re coming from, and I have written a similar letter to the young women I see in these situations. I put it on BlackPlanet (I was disgusted by some of the things I saw there). I even had mothers of these girls email me and thank me.

I completely understand where you are coming from.

4real
03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
I don&#39;t see it as being embarrassed. But more of I wish I could figure out a way to get inside your head and help you see there are options and choices. I don&#39;t know I didn&#39;t write it but I don&#39;t see it as self righteous.

Chlyric Images
03-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Mar 8 2005, 12:27 PM
from the tone of the letter, what do YOU think? <_< but i&#39;m trying not to go there cuz folks like it up there on their high horses. who am i to pull &#39;em down :dunno:

***smiling really hard right now****

Well..................I&#39;m speechless....... **nudge**

feepee
03-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by SiennaMoonshine+Mar 7 2005, 03:47 PM-->
Dear Hardhead,
You are messing up so badly, its embarrassing! :horse: This affects not just you, but your family and the community in general.

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-4real@Mar 8 2005, 02:40 PM
I don&#39;t see it as being embarrassed. But more of I wish I could figure out a way to get inside your head and help you see there are options and choices. I don&#39;t know I didn&#39;t write it but I don&#39;t see it as self righteous.

Really? i thought she made it clear she was embarassed :dunno:

rozlips
03-09-2005, 02:13 AM
My moms used to approach young ladies exhibiting this type of behavior and talk to them about it. More than once I was convinced that they were going to get stupid with her, but none of them never did. My mama was like the neighborhood&#39;s &#39;Big Mama,&#39; though she was barely five feet tall and didn&#39;t weigh a hundred pounds. Of late I&#39;ve found myself doing the same, especially when I see young ladies out with children. Oftentimes folks get frustrated when children act out in public and respond in an inappropriate manner, I try to intervene and help defuse the situation. My best girlfriend&#39;s church has started a mentoring group for young ladies in the community to lend aid, direction and assistance. It seems to be having a positive effect. Essentially, I&#39;m saying that these young ladies are a part of our community and if approached with dignity and respect they generally respond. I must say that calling folks &#39;hoodrat&#39; and the like are hardly likely to engender any type of positive dialogue.

Peaches
03-09-2005, 02:25 AM
I don&#39;t know how many of you all have ever worked in the public school system or an agency that works with young black women who act the fool, curse, fight, drink, smoke weed, cut class, and run the streets. I have, and have given similar advice.

Now I have never called anyone a hoodrat to their face, but I have told some young women that they were messing up badly. I have watched black mothers sit in parent conferences and cry for their daughters, begging them to quit acting up. I&#39;ve seen crack mothers take money that could have fed their children and get high with it. In such cases, it is embarrassing to the children who have no shoes or lunch money, and it does affect the community.

The way that Sienna phrased it, she sounded like she was taking it personally. I think that she&#39;s admitting that this is a vent thread. However, there is some truth in what she&#39;s saying. There is nothing uppity about getting in sombody&#39;s azz and telling them to get their act together. Trust me, people in the hood are byching about it too.

One doesn&#39;t have to call names, i.e. &#39;hoodrat, skank, baby mama, trailer trash&#39; or whatever to get someone&#39;s attention. It does sometimes depend on the situation, the level of emotion or attached to it however. If someone has taken $5 out of my purse to buy some crack, I may just call that person a crackhead. I&#39;m probably not going to say "I genuinely care about your progress in society and want to comment on the beautiful black sister that you are". If you&#39;re student and I&#39;m a community mentor, I may choose to say things a different way.

SiennaMoonshine
03-09-2005, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by caraqueen+Mar 8 2005, 10:38 AM-->
Um, I kind of viewed the letter as belonging in the vent thread as well, I don&#39;t think that any woman is going to be receptive to a letter saying Dear Hardhead ^_^ : ETA: I say if you have a personal relationship with someone where you can talk like that tothem and they not be offended go for it , but the random woman on the street has to be left to her own devises even if her behavior may be hurtful......to the community or to herself. What decisions she makes are noone else&#39;s business.

[/b]

I can&#39;t agree with that. Left to her own devices, this type of woman often ends up in jail, the hospital or the morgue -- or worse yet, she sends someone else there, like a child. We are not islands, we live in a community and we have some responsibility to contribute to its maintenance, not tear it down.

Originally posted by Chlyric Images@Mar 8 2005, 12:08 PM

If you

or

A little of both, I guess. I grew up with girls with real potential at age 8 or 9 but by age 18 they were &#39;content&#39; to be welfare Moms. I couldn&#39;t understand what had changed. They had received too many negative messages, I guess, and succumbed to the low expectation level for black american women.

Some women are so ignorant, and repeat these self-destructive activities despite intervention from the family, religion organizations and government programs. They just won&#39;t get it and it bugs me because the generation they bring up is soul-less as a result. These are the kids that can shoot someone at point blank without a second thought.

Originally posted by Miquie@Mar 8 2005, 12:39 PM
You know what sis... I totally got it. I understand where you&#39;re coming from, and I have written a similar letter to the young women I see in these situations. I put it on BlackPlanet (I was disgusted by some of the things I saw there). I even had mothers of these girls email me and thank me.

I completely understand where you are coming from.

Thank goodness ! I knew I couldn&#39;t be the only one.

<!--QuoteBegin-rozlips@Mar 8 2005, 07:13 PM
My moms used to approach young ladies exhibiting this type of behavior and talk to them about it. More than once I was convinced that they were going to get stupid with her, but none of them never did. My mama was like the neighborhood&#39;s &#39;Big Mama,&#39; though she was barely five feet tall and didn&#39;t weigh a hundred pounds. Of late I&#39;ve found myself doing the same, especially when I see young ladies out with children. Oftentimes folks get frustrated when children act out in public and respond in an inappropriate manner, I try to intervene and help defuse the situation. My best girlfriend&#39;s church has started a mentoring group for young ladies in the community to lend aid, direction and assistance. It seems to be having a positive effect. Essentially, I&#39;m saying that these young ladies are a part of our community and if approached with dignity and respect they generally respond. I must say that calling folks &#39;hoodrat&#39; and the like are hardly likely to engender any type of positive dialogue.

My mom tries to help these girls, too.
Notice, I didn&#39;t write that I think that they are hoodrats; rather that they are referred to (by others) that way. I would not address anyone as a &#39;hood rat or hardhead, but to be honest, that might be my true opinion of their current behavior.

*SupaSista*
03-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Chlyric Images@Mar 8 2005, 01:08 PM

HAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sunchild
03-09-2005, 05:37 AM
This letter is far from being good.

To the op: please lay the facts down on your life so others can start their own writing campaign. :rolleyes: Im sure you got something in that file that is of the "hoodrat" nature that I deem inappropriate.

Its really all in how you say it, and this was not said effectively. Nobody is not trying to hear that jive you call yourself writing in an effort for them to get their life together.

Relaxa Rebella
03-09-2005, 06:24 AM
Wow Sienna, you were really on point this time!

I have made it one of my personal goals in life to be a mentor to those around me and am glad that someone else shares the vision. I&#39;ve never had the time to put all of my feelings onto paper so I want to say THANKS for doing it in my place. Social commentaries like this one will evoke change one way or another.

If you haven&#39;t done it already, you should cut and paste this into the vent thread. I think it&#39;s worthy of having a spot in both places. :2cents:

ScoobyGurl
03-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Mar 9 2005, 01:37 AM

To the op: please lay the facts down on your life so others can start their own writing campaign. :rolleyes: Im sure you got something in that file that is of the "hoodrat" nature that I deem inappropriate.

Its really all in how you say it, and this was not said effectively. Nobody is not trying to hear that jive you call yourself writing in an effort for them to get their life together.

<span style='color:blue'>I totally agree with AK. You don&#39;t get anyone to change by talking down to them and that is exactly what you&#39;re doing. If you&#39;re really so concerned why don&#39;t join and organization that helps women or listen to their stories and have empathy? You know, we&#39;ve all done some s*%$ in our lives. My mother is a social worker who works with women that I guess you would consider to be "hoodrats" and she would never talk to them like that because they&#39;re human beings! No matter what they&#39;ve done they deserve to be treated with respect!. Part of the problem is that they&#39;ve had so many people talk down to them and not talk to them like human beings. A little compassion and empathy goes such a long way. Remember that the next time you write a letter. :rolleyes: </span>

caraqueen
03-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by SiennaMoonshine@Mar 9 2005, 06:00 AM
I can&#39;t agree with that. Left to her own devices, this type of woman often ends up in jail, the hospital or the morgue -- or worse yet, she sends someone else there, like a child. We are not islands, we live in a community and we have some responsibility to contribute to its maintenance, not tear it down.
A little of both, I guess. I grew up with girls with real potential at age 8 or 9 but by age 18 they were &#39;content&#39; to be welfare Moms. I couldn&#39;t understand what had changed. They had received too many negative messages, I guess, and succumbed to the low expectation level for black american women.

Some women are so ignorant, and repeat these self-destructive activities despite intervention from the family, religion organizations and government programs. They just won&#39;t get it and it bugs me because the generation they bring up is soul-less as a result. These are the kids that can shoot someone at point blank without a second thought.
Thank goodness ! I knew I couldn&#39;t be the only one.
My mom tries to help these girls, too.
Notice, I didn&#39;t write that I think that they are hoodrats; rather that they are referred to (by others) that way. I would not address anyone as a &#39;hood rat or hardhead, but to be honest, that might be my true opinion of their current behavior.

I still say that you can&#39;t approach people that you have no kind of relationship to and try to tell them what to do with their lives especially in the tone used, it is patronizing, dear hardhead, hoodrat come on, even if that is how she is behaving you cannot expect her to receive you with that kind of tone. Sure their behavior effects all of society alot of different behaviors do. You really want to make a difference? volunteer in a social capacity give of yourself to people, there are young women who you would call a hoodrat who may turn their lives around by your mentor or example, the letter IMHO still belongs in a vent thread. Show them you care without being patronising,, where you see a need that you can physically fill ... try that first then someone may become comfortable enough to recieve the other points that you made in your letter, some of the points you were making were good, but it just does not come off as sincere, If you really care then you would express those feelings in a less degrading manner. Compassion is love in action that is the actual definition of the word and the tone of the letter lacks compassion.

awren
03-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Wow :shocker: and wow :(

There is universal truth to this letter that can apply to women from all different walks of life since bad judgement isn&#39;t limited to the hood. I felt no compassion in this letter, so would a hood rat even bother? No one cares how much you know until they know you care. Them &#39;hoodrats&#39; are an easy target. They are the scapegoat for all of America, especially the black community. A lot of women, white , black, latina, poor, and very wealthy make negative, irresponsible choices-are you as quick to condemn them too? Do hoo rats really need another tsk, tsk, eye rolling, conviction in the court of black opinion? Prolly not.

This letter prolly made the writer feel good, but would it enrich or change the lives of its target audience-prolly not. :icon_headshake:

Laluna
03-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by awren@Mar 9 2005, 07:19 AM
Wow :shocker: and wow :(

There is universal truth to this letter that can apply to women from all different walks of life since bad judgement isn&#39;t limited to the hood. I felt no compassion in this letter, so would a hood rat even bother? No one cares how much you know until they know you care. Them &#39;hoodrats&#39; are an easy target. They are the scapegoat for all of America, especially the black community. A lot of women, white , black, latina, poor, and very wealthy make negative, irresponsible choices-are you as quick to condemn them too? Do hoo rats really need another tsk, tsk, eye rolling, conviction in the court of black opinion? Prolly not.

This letter prolly made the writer feel good, but would it enrich or change the lives of its target audience-prolly not. :icon_headshake:

:smil3f72836ee752e: :smil3f72836ee752e: :smil3f72836ee752e:

ITA! Yeah, ITA!

feepee
03-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ScoobyGurl@Mar 9 2005, 06:34 AM
<span style='color:blue'>I totally agree with AK. You don&#39;t get anyone to change by talking down to them and that is exactly what you&#39;re doing. If you&#39;re really so concerned why don&#39;t join and organization that helps women or listen to their stories and have empathy? You know, we&#39;ve all done some s*%$ in our lives. My mother is a social worker who works with women that I guess you would consider to be "hoodrats" and she would never talk to them like that because they&#39;re human beings! No matter what they&#39;ve done they deserve to be treated with respect!. Part of the problem is that they&#39;ve had so many people talk down to them and not talk to them like human beings. A little compassion and empathy goes such a long way. Remember that the next time you write a letter. :rolleyes: </span>

:huh:
hello pot, this is kettle

ScoobyGurl
03-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by feepee@Mar 9 2005, 09:56 AM
hello pot, this is kettle

What are you saying? :huh:

Patrina
03-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Mar 9 2005, 01:37 AM

IA!!

I wonder if it would be more progressive to sit down with that young lady and talk to her instead of wussing out and writing a degrading letter? How would you feel is someone gave you a letter like that? Outlining your life with such disdain?

I know I have my faults and I welcome them but folks pizz me off with their high horseness. Talking like shyte don&#39;t stink for us all. :rolleyes: While I am not a hoodrat by any means (and if I was so what?) I would get real &#39;ghetto&#39; if someone saw so little of my life to reduce it to a letter titled "Dear Hoodrat". :Angry_boese008:

If this is your attempt at uplifting this or any young lady...try again. Folks need to realize that words are like nails. Once you drive it into wood even if you take it back, a hole still remains. One of these days, someone is going to fall off that high horse and buss their head and the only one around is going to be that hoodrat you subtly loathe. <_<

P

Deljah
03-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Dear Hardhead,

blaise, blaise, blah

Signed,

Captain Save-a-ho

Sunchild
03-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Deljah@Mar 9 2005, 01:31 PM
Dear Hardhead,

blaise, blaise, blah

Signed,

Captain Save-a-ho

:pointlaugh:

charli
03-09-2005, 04:47 PM
The way that Sienna phrased it, she sounded like she was taking it personally. I think that she&#39;s admitting that this is a vent thread. However, there is some truth in what she&#39;s saying. There is nothing uppity about getting in sombody&#39;s azz and telling them to get their act together. Trust me, people in the hood are byching about it too.

But you know what, Peaches?

There is a difference in pointing out something that is CLEARLY WRONG and then calling somebody out because they are not living their life how you would choose to live it.

Telling someone their nails are too long and their dress is too tight or revealing is a matter of OPINION and PERSONAL CHOICE.

And here&#39;s some glaring irony:

I know you blame her for that lousy boyfriend she had, who tried to molest you when she had to work overtime, but your uncle came in time to prevent that. Don’t be so hard on her. She had got to a lonely place and fell for the okey-doke. She didn’t know he would try anything like that, and she certainly got rid of him quick, fast and in a hurry when she learned of it.

You can write a letter calling somebody out over their choices, but then tell that SAME PERSON to not hold it against her mother that the mother&#39;s BOYFRIEND molested her.

Telling someone how to eat? Again PERSONAL CHOICE. Some people say fast food is bad but then they eat a whole lotta stuff like red meat, refined flours, sugars and such that are bad too. Pots and kettles.

Read a book? WTF. I&#39;m articulate, educated and financially productive and I probably read fewer than 6 books a year. And I keep my music on my computer and I probably will play it all day and then walk around with my ipod listening to music.

This didn&#39;t sound like uplifting, this sounded like "your life is whack because you made some choices I wouldn&#39;t make."

It is entirely judgmental.

ENTIRELY.

Of late I&#39;ve found myself doing the same, especially when I see young ladies out with children. Oftentimes folks get frustrated when children act out in public and respond in an inappropriate manner, I try to intervene and help defuse the situation.

I remember once on an episode of desperate housewives (yeah I watch prime time soaps so I might be hood rattish too, should be watching the history channel right). And there is one mom with 4 kids overwhelmed. Her friend looks at her with shame at how she can&#39;t control her kid.

Then she goes into the house, has an argument with her perfect child daughter who then brings the argument outside. The mom with 4 kids looks at her smugly.

As a parent of three, count em, three. I am entirely empathetic to other parents because at one specific moment in time, observers have NO FREAKING IDEA what is going on in that situation and then always assume the children are unruly and the parent is inappropriately respondng. I was once in the grocery store line in front of a woman whose child was acting out like there was no tomorrow and EVERYBODY was getting irritated. I turned around and she said "I&#39;m sorry" I said-- don&#39;t say sorry, I have three children and I know what it&#39;s like. I&#39;m just turning around to let you know that.

Roz, you are so incredibly judgmental it&#39;s crazy. But as the mother of a child who is still very much a baby, you can take a lot of stuff for granted and do that, meddle with other people&#39;s situations.

You will be seriously humbled once your son grows up. And you will really see the light when someone intervenes in YOUR public outing and you find the shoe on the other foot. But go ahead and tell me how YOUR situation will be different because you will do __ or won&#39;t do __ or will say __ or won&#39;t say ___.

The only people who have perfectly behaved kids are the ones who lie about having perfectly behaved kids.

Karma, karma, karma.

*SupaSista*
03-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Deljah@Mar 9 2005, 12:31 PM
Dear Hardhead,

blaise, blaise, blah

Signed,

Captain Save-a-ho

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/1/happy45.gif
mwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhahahaaaaa!!!!

:huh: hello pot, this is kettle

dead!!!

*SupaSista*
03-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by charli@Mar 9 2005, 12:47 PM

There is a difference in pointing out something that is CLEARLY WRONG and then calling somebody out because they are not living their life how you would choose to live it.

Telling someone their nails are too long and their dress is too tight or revealing is a matter of OPINION and PERSONAL CHOICE.

And here&#39;s some glaring irony:
You can write a letter calling somebody out over their choices, but then tell that SAME PERSON to not hold it against her mother that the mother&#39;s BOYFRIEND molested her.

Telling someone how to eat? Again PERSONAL CHOICE. Some people say fast food is bad but then they eat a whole lotta stuff like red meat, refined flours, sugars and such that are bad too. Pots and kettles.

Read a book? WTF. I&#39;m articulate, educated and financially productive and I probably read fewer than 6 books a year. And I keep my music on my computer and I probably will play it all day and then walk around with my ipod listening to music.

This didn&#39;t sound like uplifting, this sounded like "your life is whack because you made some choices I wouldn&#39;t make."

It is entirely judgmental.

ENTIRELY.
I remember once on an episode of desperate housewives (yeah I watch prime time soaps so I might be hood rattish too, should be watching the history channel right). And there is one mom with 4 kids overwhelmed. Her friend looks at her with shame at how she can&#39;t control her kid.

Then she goes into the house, has an argument with her perfect child daughter who then brings the argument outside. The mom with 4 kids looks at her smugly.

As a parent of three, count em, three. I am entirely empathetic to other parents because at one specific moment in time, observers have NO FREAKING IDEA what is going on in that situation and then always assume the children are unruly and the parent is inappropriately respondng. I was once in the grocery store line in front of a woman whose child was acting out like there was no tomorrow and EVERYBODY was getting irritated. I turned around and she said "I&#39;m sorry" I said-- don&#39;t say sorry, I have three children and I know what it&#39;s like. I&#39;m just turning around to let you know that.

Roz, you are so incredibly judgmental it&#39;s crazy. But as the mother of a child who is still very much a baby, you can take a lot of stuff for granted and do that, meddle with other people&#39;s situations.

You will be seriously humbled once your son grows up. And you will really see the light when someone intervenes in YOUR public outing and you find the shoe on the other foot. But go ahead and tell me how YOUR situation will be different because you will do __ or won&#39;t do __ or will say __ or won&#39;t say ___.

The only people who have perfectly behaved kids are the ones who lie about having perfectly behaved kids.

Karma, karma, karma.

and i say DAMN! charli is definitely telling some truth up in heyah today...
:smil3f72836ee752e: :smil3f72836ee752e: i say can ya handle it?

Patrina
03-09-2005, 06:05 PM
:smil3f72836ee752e: :smil3f72836ee752e: charli, as usual, you are on point. I think rent is due for you as well, pay up please. :2cents: :2cents: This choir is too tired to talk so please keep preaching to the choir.

P

thunderstorm
03-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by charli@Mar 9 2005, 05:47 PM

hilarious! :pointlaugh: this might be my new catch phrase.

Nappalonia
03-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Deljah@Mar 9 2005, 11:31 AM
Dear Hardhead,

blaise, blaise, blah

Signed,

Captain Save-a-ho

Aww dayum :lol: :lol:

sorry I couldn&#39;t resist :P

rozlips
03-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Charli, what are you talking about? Do you have any idea what I just said in that post? Where did I judge anyone? I talked about understanding how kids act out and can work a parent&#39;s nerve and how I try to help when that situation occurs. Nothing more nothing less. And I hope that if someone sees me having a meltdown because of my kid&#39;s behavior that they will intervene to try to lend assistance.

ETA: And I know very well how a child can act out in public. I also have an almost 3 year old at home. She has thrown more than her fair share of little tantrums in public. I hope I&#39;ve always responded appropriately, but I&#39;m sure there have been times when I haven&#39;t.

charli
03-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by rozlips@Mar 9 2005, 01:18 PM
Charli, what are you talking about? Do you have any idea what I just said in that post? Where did I judge anyone? I talked about understanding how kids act out and can work a parent&#39;s nerve and how I try to help when that situation occurs. Nothing more nothing less. And I hope that if someone sees me having a meltdown because of my kid&#39;s behavior that they will intervene to try to lend assistance.

Oftentimes folks get frustrated when children act out in public and respond in an inappropriate manner, I try to intervene and help defuse the situation.

That is a judgment call based on what you consider inappropriate.

if someone sees me having a meltdown

Well, which one is it? A meltdown or an inappropriate response?

How about this, you say "If someone sees me respond inappropriately to my child, I hope that they intervene."

Because inappropriate response is far more vague and encompassing of multiple reactions than "meltdown". And THAT would lead to a lot more folks giving their 2 cents on how you should handle your child. And I hope you like the intervention.

Peaches
03-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by charli@Mar 9 2005, 01:47 PM

You&#39;re absolutely right. Some things are completely subjective. Men, and other women as well, call women whores, tramps, hoodrats, skanks, tricks, and hos all the time because they&#39;re not dressed like the virgin Mary. Certain people see lipstick, jewelry, nail polish, and even wearing jeans as skanky. I have a graduate degree and people have called me ghetto/skank because I have locs and wear big earrings. "Damn, you got some education. Why don&#39;t you do something to yo&#39; head?" Again, you have to look at the dog who&#39;s bringing you the bone. ;) Many people form their opinions based on what they&#39;ve been taught.

In Sienna&#39;s case, I think she is venting about somebody who has pi$$ed her off and she felt like lashing out at everybody, forming stereotypes and judgements. It&#39;s like policemen harassing black males because one or two have robbed stores. One does have to be careful not to start firing shots into the crowd just because one person has pi$$ed them off.

I do however think that there are some young ladies out there who do need a good talking to. The approach that you take though makes all of the difference in the world at how they respond.

rozlips
03-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Because inappropriate response is far more vague and encompassing of multiple reactions than "meltdown". And THAT would lead to a lot more folks giving their 2 cents on how you should handle your child. And I hope you like the intervention.

Golly gee willikers charli, they&#39;re all the same to me. Why didn&#39;t you ask me what I meant by an inappropriate response? I would&#39;ve been more than happy to explain what I meant by that term. No, you took it to mean that I&#39;m rendering judgment, when all I&#39;m saying is that we&#39;ve all been there a time or two and have had a kid work our nerve to the point of meltdown. That is all I meant by the comment, if you choose to read more into it, well, what can I say, that&#39;s on you.

And as I said, I&#39;d more than welcome someone&#39;s assistance if they see me having a meltdown in that situation. And the times that I&#39;ve intervened my help has been welcomed.

charli
03-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by rozlips@Mar 9 2005, 03:08 PM
Golly gee willikers charli, they&#39;re all the same to me. Why didn&#39;t you ask me what I meant by an inappropriate response?

Because I took the words at their literal meaning. And a meltdown is usually a more catastrophic response, an emotional breakdown.

And while you can definitely make the statement that a public meltdown is an inappropriate response, using the term "inappropriate response" does not automatically equate to meltdown.

Kind of like how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square. And a triangle is neither.

rozlips
03-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Uh-huh.

Chlyric Images
03-10-2005, 01:42 AM
Hmmmmm Ya&#39;ll see my controversal azz aint said nothing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Daishiki/tanme.jpg

MY lips are SEALLLLEDDDDDDD ^_^

afromation
03-10-2005, 01:55 AM
lol.

Very pretty picture.

Laluna
03-10-2005, 01:58 AM
CI, gurl--you&#39;re gorgeous! :blush:

charli
03-10-2005, 02:24 AM
And you look naked :huh:

Sunchild
03-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by charli@Mar 9 2005, 11:24 PM
And you look naked :huh:

Perfect (non)attire for this thread.

Chlyric Images
03-10-2005, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Mar 9 2005, 07:24 PM
Perfect (non)attire for this thread.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO

Girl I got my Dear Hoodrat letter fedexed to me this morning.....

Talking about Dear Hard head....

Why you take pictures naked? Why don&#39;t you take clothed pictures....like I do....

:lol:

feepee
03-10-2005, 02:30 AM
lmao!!! woooo lawdy

Chlyric Images, you are something else missy...

Peaches
03-10-2005, 02:43 AM
Off topic..
CI, aren&#39;t you a celeb? I mean, aren&#39;t you on some sitcoms? Glad to see you out and about. Most celebs lurk around here and only say something when Dee emails them, and she posts the email in the thread.

Yeah you seem to be controversial, but you have to have to search for some MedusaNegrita posts/threads to take lessons on how to be a pro at it. She was truly our "happy heathen". You do seem to be on the right track though.

CatSuga
03-10-2005, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Deljah@Mar 9 2005, 11:31 AM
Dear Hardhead,

blaise, blaise, blah

Signed,

Captain Save-a-ho

:pointlaugh: Don&#39;t save her.....

charli
03-10-2005, 03:11 AM
Why you take pictures naked? Why don&#39;t you take clothed pictures....like I do....

QUIT FRONTIN

You know you was taking those pictures a little bit lower to post on black planet. Point camera up for nappturality, point it down for black planet.

Chlyric Images
03-10-2005, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by charli@Mar 9 2005, 08:11 PM
QUIT FRONTIN

You know you was taking those pictures a little bit lower to post on black planet. Point camera up for nappturality, point it down for black planet.

Napptural North,

Yet oh so sensual BlackPlanet South.....

:blush:

Chlyric Images
03-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Peaches@Mar 9 2005, 07:43 PM
Off topic..
CI, aren&#39;t you a celeb? I mean, aren&#39;t you on some sitcoms? Glad to see you out and about. Most celebs lurk around here and only say something when Dee emails them, and she posts the email in the thread.

Yeah you seem to be controversial, but you have to have to search for some MedusaNegrita posts/threads to take lessons on how to be a pro at it. She was truly our "happy heathen". You do seem to be on the right track though.

I was on a makeover show so nah I&#39;m just a regular joe.

Sacral
03-10-2005, 03:20 AM
All I gotta say for this entire thread is:

Ashe&#39; to Esu, Oya, Shango, Ogun..........And everything else Red and Maroon (with a little bit of White and Black, and lots of Green).

:D

In the loving embrace of Oshun,

- Sacral

tsaraya29
03-10-2005, 03:22 AM
:smil3f9cf95099cff: LOL...No somebody didn&#39;t bring up Medusa... :) that brings back memories.

NLight1
03-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Okay this thread has me :lol: :lol: These have me cracking up:

:huh: hello pot, this is kettle

Dear Hardhead,

blaise, blaise, blah

Signed,

Captain Save-a-ho

and last but not least

Girl I got my Dear Hoodrat letter fedexed to me this morning.....

Talking about Dear Hard head....

:lol: :lol: thanks ladies, I needed this laugh!

Sunchild
03-10-2005, 03:25 AM
Now yall know we not allowed to talk about banned members! Mod W in t-minus 5......4......3......2

thisisme
03-10-2005, 03:43 AM
The question I would pose to the writer of the letter is what is the alternative? B/c I&#39;m certain that any woman (why are the ills of the hood blamed on women?) would ask that question of you.

I&#39;m from the hood, did the right things, earned a BA, about to have an MA and I&#39;m still broke and alone. So what are you offering her that&#39;s different from her current life? The only thing I see so far is that my brokeness (used intentionally) is acceptable b/c I have an education.

Be careful about writing checks to someone that society&#39;s **** cannot cash. The "hoodrat" can "clean her life up" economically, and stop "embarrasing" other black folks, but will she really be economically free, will she truly have peace in her soul? I&#39;m guessing...well I&#39;ll let others think on that.

All I&#39;m saying is be realistic if you&#39;re out working w/ women, men, kids, etc. Don&#39;t promise them the moon, when all you can deliver is a chance at the stars.

feepee
03-10-2005, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@Mar 9 2005, 10:25 PM
Now yall know we not allowed to talk about banned members! Mod W in t-minus 5......4......3......2

*giggles*

imma try to be good tho
:bolt:

Button2004
03-10-2005, 04:03 AM

:lol:

<_<

:unsure:

CatSuga
03-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Since this thread is about to get closed................................

:smil3f9cf95099cff: I GET THE FINAL SAY!!!!
http://216.218.248.153/datastore/df/42/b/df427936917d9892d24e5c3ff6cb951d.jpg

Sacral
03-10-2005, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by CatSuga@Mar 10 2005, 01:11 AM
Since this thread is about to get closed................................
I GET THE FINAL SAY!!!!

CatSuga, you are toooooo funny! Truly a Sis representin&#39; the AL! (no, not ATL)

(Ricky Smiley? )

:D :lol: :afro:
- Sacral

*SupaSista*
03-10-2005, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Chlyric Images@Mar 9 2005, 11:17 PM
I was on a makeover show so nah I&#39;m just a regular joe.

was somebody trying to get you to fix ya&#39;seff up and get rid of them nasty nasty hoodrat-ish way of yourn? :huh:

CatSuga
03-10-2005, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by naturalme22@Mar 9 2005, 11:32 PM
was somebody trying to get you to fix ya&#39;seff up and get rid of them nasty nasty hoodrat-ish way of yourn? :huh:

Feeling good :)
Feeling great ^_^
I look good :P
Don&#39;t hate :D

LadyEve
03-10-2005, 05:47 AM
This reply is directed to SiennaMoonshine:

We are all intelligent black women here, why such a derogatory letter on this forum? What does the contents of your letter have to do with being proud of nappy hair? :angry:

CatSuga
03-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by LadyEve@Mar 10 2005, 12:47 AM
We are all intelligent black women here, why such a derogatory letter on this forum? What does the contents of your letter have to do with being proud of nappy hair? :angry:

There are nappy headed hoodrats too.

LadyEve
03-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by CatSuga@Mar 10 2005, 02:49 AM
There are nappy headed hoodrats too.

I have never met one.

CatSuga
03-10-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by LadyEve@Mar 10 2005, 12:52 AM
I have never met one.

Believe me, you don&#39;t want to.

LadyEve
03-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by CatSuga@Mar 10 2005, 02:53 AM
Believe me, you don&#39;t want to.

Are you saying that some of my black sisters are so terrible that they are called "hoodrats"?

CatSuga
03-10-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by LadyEve@Mar 10 2005, 12:55 AM
Are you saying that some of my black sisters are so terrible that they are called "hoodrats"?

YES!
WTH! :icon_eek13:
Every "sista" ain&#39;t a saint. Hoodrats come in every color.

moonchild
03-10-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi All,

I haven&#39;t read all of the pages of this thread. Forgive me if I&#39;m repeating something already expressed. Forgive me also for the disjointed nature of this response.
~~~~~~~~~~

I understand the frustration that leads to this type of expression. Also, I believe it&#39;s always BEST to look at someone&#39;s intent. I think your intent was pure.

However, those of us who were &#39;fortunate&#39; enough that our lives took a less rocky path have to be reeeeeeaaaaaaalllll careful that, even in our caring and frustration, we do not condemn.

I teach 8th graders in Crenshaw. I love them even when I want to ring their necks. I fear for them sometimes. I tell &#39;em that. They make me angry sometimes. I share that. I rage sometimes till you can hear a pin drop when my patience gets tested. This week I had a 13 year old girl waxing poetic about tongue rings and fellatio. When I asked her if she&#39;d discuss that in front of her mother, she claimed that her mother had been talking about it that morning. My patience busts loose runs off and let&#39;s my temper get busy for a spell.

We also laugh. They make me smile. One little girl (cause that is what she IS) makes me so crazy I don&#39;t know whether to whoop her behind or hug her. She&#39;s just that berserk!! But I love her cause I KNOW her. She&#39;s not someone who I&#39;m randomly assessing without sitting side by side with. I love them because for this year they are mine and for the rest of their lives, there was a year that was ours.

The op&#39;s letter came across as a laundry list of things to change, undo, redo, let go of, take on. In the end, who is the "hoodrat" to become?

How can we gloss over molestation/rape, abuse, misuse, neglect, hurt, pain so easily? Can we really just get it together?

I&#39;ve got so many kids in foster care, group homes, living with Auntie, Big Mama, Grandmama, big sister, etc. I&#39;ve got several kids who have fathers in jail for LIFE. Children who say their own mothers no longer want them. At what point to they graduate from child to hoodrat? Whenever I hear about all the GARBAGE dumped on these kids, I understand their anger, misbehavior, inability. Yet, I DO NOT CONDONE IT. I won&#39;t cosign on what I don&#39;t believe it, but I won&#39;t write them off.

I won&#39;t condone her but I will embrace her as best I can. She ain&#39;t no saint for sure, but neither am I. And yes, there are a lot of things I wish she&#39;d do differently just so her experience in this life could be broader and richer and more fulfilling. Then I remind myself that her experience is HERS and what is broad and rich and fulfilling to me may not be the same to her.

So I teach her and her children as best that I can. I continue to plant little seeds of MY selection of possibilities alongside those that are being planted by the neighborhood gangbangers, drug dealers, pimps, fiends, thugs and thug misses. I plant seeds alongside those dropped by the pastors, priests, mentors, mothers and mamas, and whomever else. I just drop them and keep on. I don&#39;t know what the Creator has planned for them. And disappointing the "community" might be part of the process.

Malcolm X would&#39;ve been right in the mix with the madness at one point in his life. Then, he was transformed.

I wouldn&#39;t silence your assessment of these women. I believe your intent was pure. I hope you&#39;re open to my feelings too. There&#39;s more I could say. I pray this will suffice.

~mc~

Chlyric Images
03-10-2005, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by naturalme22@Mar 9 2005, 09:32 PM

My girl catsuga signed me up, she said my left ankle was looking a little on the hood ratish side, and thought I needed an overhaul.

deecoily
03-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Hmmm... should I do butt whoopin or thread closin.... ?

Today... I... choose........ thread closin!

Thank you all for your participation

**topic closed**

~Dee~
:D