PDA

View Full Version : What Types Of Styles Do You Wear To Work?:

justiceone
03-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone,

I really love this website and have found it (and this forum) very helpful. I found the topic, "Where do you work?" very informative. On a related topic, I'd like to know the types of styles you all wear to the job.

I'll be working as a first year associate as a conservative law firm this fall and I'm exploring different style options (and pictures!) I have a medium-sized curly fro right now and I also wear roller-sets and twist-outs.

Are there any of you out there wearing Angela Davis type 'fros to work? :afro: I'd be especially interested to know. Or do you all prefer twists and sets for the corporate settings?

Thanks in advance!

Scrills
03-11-2005, 05:04 PM
I wear it all, ponytails, shake-n-go, twists, twist-outs, puffs, and sometimes a 'fro. I will say that it took me some time to work up to certain styles.

I work for in the IT security department of a bank.

Scrills
03-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I wear it all, ponytails, shake-n-go, twists, twist-outs, puffs, and sometimes a 'fro. I will say that it took me some time to work up to certain styles.

oshadithe1
03-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I work for a non-profit as a conference planner. While non-profit, there are still very corporate standards around here. I wear my hair any which way I choose with an "I-dare-you" attitude. My hair should not be a huge deal. It grows how it grows and does what it does. My thing is this, if white women can wear their natural hair in it's natural state, I can (and will) too. :D Wearing an afro here is the MOST fun.

justiceone
03-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Scrills@Mar 11 2005, 12:15 PM

Thanks for your reply. I looked at your album. Your hair is beautiful! :D I love the variety of styles.

justiceone
03-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by oshadithe1@Mar 11 2005, 12:22 PM
My hair should not be a huge deal. It grows how it grows and does what it does. My thing is this, if white women can wear their natural hair in it's natural state, I can (and will) too. :D Wearing an afro here is the MOST fun.

I totally agree! None of the white women that I have worked with have ever had to justify their choice of hairstyles, so I'm certainly not going to, no matter how big the 'fro gets...as long as I can get through the doorway. ;)

It's good to see sisters with such confidence like you! :)

1QTPie
03-14-2005, 09:44 PM
I work as an exec. assistant in a lobbying firm in DC. While I don't wear suits to work, it's a conservative environment because of the senators and congresspersons that come through.

I wear my hair anyway I feel. Mostly a shake and go, but I have done afro puffs, braids into a wide puff, a faux-mohawk, two-strand twists. Pretty much what I feel like. I have also worn it with no product at all except for olive oil and plastic headband, let it frizz up and it was still fly. Don't be ashamed of who you are, if they are uncomfortable with your beauty and your blackness that's their issue. (Believe me I worried about it too..)

coil
03-31-2005, 03:33 PM
I HAVE DREAD LOCS AND WHEN I SHAMPOO I USUALLY PIN CURL THE LOC WITH BOBBIE PINS , WHICH GIVES THEM A RINGLETT AFFECT. I DON'T HAVE A PICTURE NOW BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE AUTHOR BEBE MOORE CAMPBELL'S HAIR ON THE BACK OF WHAT YOU OWE ME BOOK THAT IS WHAT MY LOCS LOOK LIKE WHEN THEY ARE PIN CURLED :

saga30311
04-02-2005, 01:53 AM
web developer for a fortune 100, and i tend to wear them all also: twists, twist-outs, puffs, rollersets, spiralsets, pinups and braidouts. I don't wear shake & go's or BAA's to work very often anymore, because my hair has gotten long, and IMHO it's wildness is distracting.

http://flickr.com/photos/saga/

terriela
04-02-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm a nurse at a pediatric office. My hair is like maybe 3-4 inches long and I wear twists, twist-outs, and if I wear a straight up afro I'll wear a band to pull the front back.

nvsnot
04-07-2005, 07:40 PM
i'm a secretary for a department in the governor's office. we have alot of big wigs coming through. my hair is about 3.5 - 4 inches long now. i use to stick to the fro, but now i wear twists and twist outs to work. i am the only black person in my department and my white co-workers love my hair and the styles that i rock. they are quite interested in how i achieve the styles and how long it took. i've never had any negative feedback. i also think it has alot to do with how i present myself and dress.

amsassy
04-07-2005, 07:50 PM
I work in the IT department at JCPenney's and I wear it all, fro's, twists/outs, braids, etc. My boss states as long as its not a wild color such as blue hair, she states alot of styles are good.

organicsoul
04-16-2005, 04:19 PM
I used to work for a brokereage firm and I didn&#39;t care...I was the first person to where an afro since the 70&#39;s....the company was mostly white...but I was like..."hell the white kids that work here have different color hair n stuff...they better not trip <_< "...they gave me the look though :shocker:

lydicarol
04-16-2005, 07:42 PM
I work in the IT department for an online finanicial news corp. I&#39;ve worn everything, twists, braids, shake n go, pony puff, twist out afro (which is actually what I&#39;m rockin&#39; nowadays).

:afro:

charise
05-05-2005, 01:09 PM
I&#39;m the government affairs liason for a construction managment firm. I wear my hair however I want.

EElizabeth
05-07-2005, 02:10 AM
I&#39;m a College Counselor and I&#39;ve worn corn rows and micros. Now I wear a knot out with a headband on the front. I have worn twists though only on Fridays.

I have always modeled myself a bit after the other black women one or more levels above me and have "sort of" indirectly asked (them) if my hair was okay. So far, I have not had a problem.

I don&#39;t go too too trendy because I don&#39;t want to be confused with the students.

Even if my hair is a bit "out there" my dress is always "down to business."

Lagina
05-07-2005, 03:50 AM
I work for the Comptroller of Maryland and I met him (shared and elevator ride with him and the "bodyguard") with my hair in a puff. As long as you get the job done and look good and your confidence shows you will do fine no matter where you go.

If you have to question whether you should wear it to work or not, don&#39;t wear it at all. You won&#39;t carry the confidence needed to pull the look off without appearing un-natural.

Lagina
05-07-2005, 03:51 AM
double post

Chlyricimages
05-07-2005, 06:53 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Daishiki/Tamara.jpg

I go to work just like this. A eccentric furry little dork.

Thank god I&#39;m such a good systems analyst.

fwilso01
05-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Chlyricimages@May 7 2005, 01:53 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Daishiki/Tamara.jpg

I go to work just like this. A eccentric furry little dork.

Thank god I&#39;m such a good systems analyst.

Very pretty pic! I love the funky &#39;do.
I wear my wraps a lot and wear it up most of the time.

Lukki_Nappy
06-02-2005, 10:58 PM
if I like it, i jus do it. I have worn puffs...twists...twist outs...and even wraps...

by the way I worked at Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (head office)

:afro:

imani4eva
06-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Well i&#39;m still transitioning, i&#39;m currently nearing the end of my gap year where I have worked for a number of months in an established law firm. I have worn braid-outs (i can&#39;t do twistouts), twists, briad extenstions and cornrows, during my time. All styles of which were accpeted in my office and often complimented on. :)

macknappy
06-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Iwork in Human Resources for a Financial Service/Insurance company and I wear puffs, twistouts,and braids.

giggleblue
07-07-2005, 07:09 PM
i wear my hair however i feel to work. today, i did the shake and go. sometimes i will style, just depending on how i feel that morning... i work in accounts payable at a car dealership... it&#39;s my summer internship!!!

justiceone
07-10-2005, 04:10 AM
Thanks to everyone for your replies! It&#39;s really good to know there are such an abundance of natural beauties representing in the workplace. :)

When I was in college, I participated in a national internship program for minority students. During the training sessions, the coordinators (who were African-American) told the participants not to wear braids, locs, afros, or other "ethnic" styles during the interview process because "you don&#39;t want to stand out". :huh: Needless to say, I left the program because I certainly didn&#39;t see the correlation between a silky straight style and career success. This was quite a few years ago, but I certainly hope times have changed and that this program&#39;s message of assimilation is not being taught to the young people today. That&#39;s why I think topics like this are important to let the young ladies (and men) know that they can let their merit speak for itself without having to compromise their hair to be accepted into the "mainstream"....I&#39;m off my soapbox now. :blush:

Keep rocking those beautiful styles ladies! :afro:

fiesole
12-21-2005, 01:24 PM
When I was in college, I participated in a national internship program for minority students. During the training sessions, the coordinators (who were African-American) told the participants not to wear braids, locs, afros, or other "ethnic" styles during the interview process because "you don&#39;t want to stand out". :
[/b]

I was told the same thing by an internship program in college, I was also told we needed to wear makeup. Yikes. I really hope they have evolved. Did your program name begin with an I per chance?

jessicakitty
12-21-2005, 06:43 PM
hi, thanks for this thread!! i was so freaked out because i have to take my braids out and i was afraid they wouldn&#39;t want to hire me as a hostess since i&#39;ve been told over and over again it&#39;s all about looks if my hair was just poffy..i&#39;ve seen some of the styles and i was wondering...is there a how to? i&#39;m relaly bad with styling i couldn&#39;t even style my straight hair let alone hair with more umph to it.

justiceone
12-25-2005, 02:52 AM
@ fiesole--Yes, it&#39;s probably the same program. <_< I hope they have evolved also. Needless to say, I&#39;ve succeeded in spite of their advice. I&#39;m working as an attorney now--with no makeup and my big ole&#39; nappy afro. :D

@jessicakitty--Of course you can wear your "puffy" style to work. I&#39;m sure it will be beautiful. :) I would advise that you look through some of the members&#39; albums here, a lot of them have how-to guides on styles. You&#39;re welcome to look through my album also. If you have any questions about products or style suggestions, feel free to PM me. Keep us updated on your progress!

Dreenie
01-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I usually wear an afro with bangs but lately I have been wearing it pulled back with a headband. I work at a non-profit research firm and the office attire is not as conservative. My friend and I are the only people in the office that have natural hair. She wears her hair burnt.

Coffebabette
01-15-2006, 02:29 PM
I wear a short crop. about an inch (less round the back). it&#39;s got some colour.. I work as the PA to the Chairman of a large multinational. I was going to loc my hair, that&#39;s why I started the napptural journey in 2004 . It didnt go down very well.........

fiesole
01-16-2006, 04:38 PM
@ fiesole--Yes, it&#39;s probably the same program. <_< I hope they have evolved also. Needless to say, I&#39;ve succeeded in spite of their advice. I&#39;m working as an attorney now--with no makeup and my big ole&#39; nappy afro. :D
[/b]

Excellent!

Misunderstood
01-16-2006, 08:43 PM
I shake and go everyday. I live in the South where it&#39;s nice and humid on a daily basis.

Inspiration41Man
01-18-2006, 12:40 AM
I have been at the same place since 2001. It is just like home. Whatever I feel like that day is what they get to look at.