PDA

View Full Version : Skin Care That Works

Opportunitylocks
03-10-2005, 05:15 AM
It seems that a lot of us on here ( myself as well) are clueless when it come to skin care. We have scars and acne and other skin ailments that seem to never go away.

How about we swap ideas and iformation on stuff that we have tried to see if we can help each other out. I'm talkin stuff like products, regimens, when to see a doctor, websites etc. I'll go first.

I have acne prone skin and the one thing that seems to be helping me is the regiment here at www.acne.org . This is so simple and has really imroved my out breaks. Also its pretty cheap to start.

I've also had good sucess with a skin care line called beyound belief from sally's beauty supply. They have two lines ones in a whit bottle and ones in the green bottle. I use the beta and alpha hyroxy line (green bottles). These along with the acne.org method have really improved my skin. I think they sell a trial sze kit containing the whole line. Also the best Mask I've ever tried is from Neutrogena. Its the one that can also be used as a cleanser in the white and red bottle. Good stuff dries up pimples really good!

As far as improving scars, I've had luck with two products: Products containing Alpha hydroxy and black opal's fade gel. That fade gel works really good. I saw some results pretty fast.

So everyone lets help each other out :)

feepee
03-10-2005, 05:28 AM
my skin care routine (http://public.fotki.com/feepee/informative/skin_care/)

hth ;)

DaisysHair
03-10-2005, 06:37 AM
Yep, I use feepee's regimen everyday, and it works very well for my face and body. The Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel is the best I've traded in my FOTE aloe vera gel. The Organics Carrot tea Tree oil seems to repair skin with each application.

Last but not least the Nasabb Black Soap is my friend it is now par of my everyday skin routine. Love it

thanks Feeps. :D

kisses003
03-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi ladies. I'm 18 (almost 19) and have struggled with bad skin for the past 5 years (acne and hyperpigmentation left over) Anyways, I have tried so many things over the years, and have finally found a regimen that works, and keeps my skin completely clear. I have found that in order to have flawless skin I have to keep it simple and use common sense. It's important to get yourself right inside even more than outside. Here's what I do:

1) Stay away from refined sugar (candy, soft drinks etc.) as much as I can.

2) Avoid dairy, many sisters (like me) do not produce enough lactaze (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) and thus dairy products are not
digested properly.

3) Stay away from bad fats (greasy fries, too much oil when cooking, fatty meats, etc.)

4) Eat lots of healthy, colorful food like fruits and veggies

5) Drink LOTS of water....but you already knew that....

6) I don't stress out too much about what I eat, and I do have treats, but if you generally follow these rules your skin will love you.

When it comes to topical skincare I've learned that less is more. The basic things you need in a regimen are: A good, non-drying and soap-free cleanser, a toner, exfoliator and moisturizer (spf in the day!)

I like Spectro-Jel as a cleanser (it's like Cetaphil) I like it because it is non-drying (important for our skin, because it's often more sensitive than others) It also acts like a toner, so I don't need an extra step.

I don't need a toner in my regimen, but if you wear a lot of heavy make-up, or you're worried that your cleanser is not being completely washed away, invest in one!! (make sure there's no alcohol!!)

For exfoliating I use St. Ive's. I use it once a day, at night after I cleanse, it's important to remember that with a scrub, the purpose isn't for you to scrub at your face (that's what the little particles do) just GENTLY massage it in. This step also helps with hyperpigmentation.

Finally I like Dove moisturizers. I use the Dove Day Lotion spf 15 in the day....YES ladies we do have that extra melanin, but we still need sunscreen to keep our skin beautiful for life..... At night I use Dove Sensitive Essentials Night Cream....My FAVE product ever, it makes my skin soooo soft!

*I recently started dabbing a little Ambi (with 2% hydroquinone) on residual marks left from acne and it's working pretty well....However as a rule I generally stay away from medicine (ie. salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide) because they tend to just aggravate our skin.

Wow! That was really long lol!! But skin is a topic that I love and care about, and I know how much as women we desire to have flawless skin, and this is what finally helped me! Hope that helped!