PDA

View Full Version : Combing Your Daughter's Hair Everyday?

Aesys
07-28-2003, 03:53 PM
Does it make a difference if you comb your daughter's hair everyday? My mother told me how she and her sister used to get their hair combed everyday by my grandmother and how long their hair was. I tried to tell her that upon reading several boards about natural hair that it is best to manipulate the hair as little as possible. She doesn't agree. Does this depend on the texture of your hair...or does it apply across the board to the majority of types and textures of kinky hair.

delightfulflame
07-28-2003, 11:54 PM
I think it depends on the hair texture and the styles worn.

When my daughter wears her hair in ponytails...that's an everyday job b/c it gets all fuzzy. That's an "out" style, and we have to also worry about the hair getting tangled and matted.

So, we like to do "protective" styles, so it's okay to leave it a while and not worry about the hair being tangled or breaking off. An example of this would be braids.

LotsOfLocs
07-29-2003, 01:47 PM
I think combing the hair every day will cause breakage and split ends. The best styles for children are cornrows, twist, and braids. The hair is not being constantly manipulated.

Alken41100
07-29-2003, 02:19 PM
My mom did not comb my hair everyday. It was more like once every 10 days. I wore braids alot. The only time I didn't wear braids were for pictures and holiday's, my mom usually put in various ponytails with beads or barrettes. I think that my hair did well and didn't break off. The two girls in my class who wore their hair out everyday had broken off hair in the back so they were sort of wearing an Anita Baker if you will in elementary school. I never realized that their hair was broke off until high school. I just thought they were strange since they didn't wear braids or ponytails.

My mother was on the go and I hate having my hair combed and that was the best thing. I was happy with it.

Info
07-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by LotsOfLocs@Jul 29 2003, 08:47 AM
I think combing the hair every day will cause breakage and split ends. The best styles for children are cornrows, twist, and braids. The hair is not being constantly manipulated.
ITA. My daughter's styles last about a week before they need re-doing. She wouldn't sit still for that daily combing anyway! :lol:

tran68
07-30-2003, 02:52 PM
I comb my daughter's hair every two weeks, sometimes every three depending on how long her cornrow style lasts.....we don't like to wear it out because it tangles easily and she's so wild and athletic it just goes all to hell anyway.

I know when I grew out of cornrows I permed :( ...I'm glad I have this site because it gives alternative styles that we can definitely try out on her! ;)

sexykei
07-30-2003, 07:59 PM
My mom use to comb our hair everyday and I am not talking about ponytails... Most times it would be 3 or 4 sections with "bubbles" and plaits. I guess u dont have to comb everyday depending on the style but my mom couldnt do cornrows.

MuthaErth
08-01-2003, 02:34 AM
i NEVER combed my children's hair EVERYDAY. i did it once a week.

cocoamama78
08-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by MuthaErth@Aug 1 2003, 02:34 AM
i NEVER combed my children's hair EVERYDAY. i did it once a week.
This is me....I currently do my child's hair on average, once a week. I take down the previous style, condition it, moisturize and rebraid into another style. I don't like using several ponytails too often because I feel that breaks the hair off after a while and it's also uncomfortable for her to sleep on during naptime and nighttime! If she wears ponytails, usually her hair is cornrowed into the ponytails. I found a good detergent free shampoo that removes product buildup that I'm going to use only once a month on my child's hair (Neutrogena Anti-Residue) And she's three and her hair's pretty long. The only time I really would comb my child's hair was after washing before braiding. And all that combing has stopped as of this week, thanks to the Denman thread. I used it last nite and didn't really get any complaints or Ouches from her! So the only time I use a comb now is to make the parts for braids. Hope that helps.

senoj
08-21-2003, 01:09 PM
I try to do my child's hair once a week. Sometimes, however, the braids start looking really fuzzy around Friday; especially in the back. Most times, I can leave them in for the 2 more days, but sometimes, it's just looks so bad. The throw away child look. What can I say, she is a very active child.

But, we never do the everyday comb. Not even on my 2yo. She gets a wash, oil and braid once a week. Every once in a while if it gets too lste to braid her hair, I'll put it in ponytails for the daycare and braid it the next night.

Sunday nights are 5 yo hair night, Monday nights are 2 yo hair night, and Tuesday nights are my hair night.

Honeycomb
08-23-2003, 10:40 PM
I don't comb both my daughter's hair everyday. They wear their hair is box braids and I will do it every 3-6 weeks depending on how it looks. They both have bra strap-length hair and I believe the reason their hair is so long is because I'm not combing, brushing, and pulling on it daily.

frizzyme
08-25-2003, 05:36 PM
I comb my two years hair daily. She has very curly 4a thin stranded hair which frizzes up. It usually looks like I haven't combed it three or four hours after I have. I've tried cornrows and box braids they frizzed up. I'm stuck. Typically I spend 15 minutes every morning combing her hair. I change the parts once a week, and so I'm smoothing the top down with a brush and replaiting. I usually try not to comb it. So far I haven't noticed any split ends. Its growing well.

senoj
09-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by frizzyme@Aug 25 2003, 01:36 PM
I comb my two years hair daily. She has very curly 4a thin stranded hair which frizzes up. It usually looks like I haven't combed it three or four hours after I have. I've tried cornrows and box braids they frizzed up. I'm stuck. Typically I spend 15 minutes every morning combing her hair. I change the parts once a week, and so I'm smoothing the top down with a brush and replaiting. I usually try not to comb it. So far I haven't noticed any split ends. Its growing well.
Your dd's hair sounds like mine.

But, she wears hair in braids frizzy all week.
I try to braid it into puffs.

This week, I sectioned her hair into three sections that seh wore as puffs onto church on Sunday. Then, while she was taking her nap, I made nine braids in each puff section (radiating out from the middle of each section like spokes on a wheel) and braided it. I left the ends loose so that sh still has the puffs. I put the barrettes back in and I switch them out to match her clothes. (If I'm lucky, then I can keep that to a minimum by the colors I choose for her to wear. She owns a lot of pink and orange. :) )

As it starts to get frizzy, by the next day, I spritz and brush the frizz into the barrette. She doesn&#39;t look so bad by then end of the week. She&#39;s a cutie pie as I imagine yours is. Now that big egg shaped knotin mine&#39;s forehead, tha&#39;s another matter. (Don&#39;t ask, the child thinks she&#39;s super woman or something <_< )