PDA

View Full Version : The Larry Elder Show

SiennaMoonshine
03-10-2005, 10:52 PM
I occassionally listen to the Larry Elder show. Initially I found him just too judgmental, but he seems to make people think. He certainly tackles some very sticky issues. Although I don't care for his tactless well of telling people what he thinks they need to know, I find the "guests" responses very interesting.

Does anyone else listen to/watch this show ? Is this platform really helpful or does it merely highlight issues people already know too well ?
Is it Dr. Phil on speed ? What do you think.

These tough-love reality shows are on the rise, it seems. But are they really about addressing problems or just generating ratings ?

Twistie74
03-10-2005, 11:23 PM
I love the Larry Elder Show.

More often than not, he's tackling some sort of topic regarding racial issues and those types of shows are ALWAYS a favorite to me.

I also enjoy that he has straight-talking guests or 'professionals' or even audience members to give you different points of view on the topic at hand.

sonce
03-11-2005, 07:16 AM
I don't know much about him, but from what I see on the show, that man's a mess. His "personal responsibility" schtick sounds a lot like bill cosby, and reeks of "ignore institutional and sociocultural factors that conspire to dehumanize you and keep you disenfrachised...if you're down and under, it's your fault!." I'm all for 'personal responsibility' but when it's his answer for practically EVERY situation, I've got to wonder if he's more interested in being applauded as a "non-n****r negro" i.e a "good" black than in actually helping... :dunno:

mstnt
03-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by sonce@Mar 11 2005, 02:16 AM
I don't know much about him, but from what I see on the show, that man's a mess. His "personal responsibility" schtick sounds a lot like bill cosby, and reeks of "ignore institutional and sociocultural factors that conspire to dehumanize you and keep you disenfrachised...if you're down and under, it's your fault!." I'm all for 'personal responsibility' but when it's his answer for practically EVERY situation, I've got to wonder if he's more interested in being applauded as a "non-n****r negro" i.e a "good" black than in actually helping... :dunno:

ITA!! I was crackin' up one time because he had a show on race and this brotha was gettin' mad at Elder and called him a "tom".

His show is good sometime but he can be annoying.

carlaw78
03-11-2005, 09:08 PM
MY DAD loves his show...even got the Man's book. When I first heard it I thought he took the term "ABRASIVE" to a whole nother level, but after he's calmed down and finished demeaning someone expressing their view point....he has you thinking. I have to give it to the man, he has a way of convincing a person that he is right

jolie76
03-11-2005, 09:11 PM
I think the Larry Elders show is so ridiculously formulaic. His show about race relations booked guests with such polar and stringent beliefs that there was no discussion, just the butting of heads. It was silly. His show continually books guests that Larry Elders can feel superior towards, thereby eliminating the possibility that someone might point out to Mr. Elders that he doesn&#39;t know what heck he&#39;s talking about. He gets no brownie points from me. <_<

sonce
03-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by jolie76@Mar 11 2005, 10:11 PM
I think the Larry Elders show is so ridiculously formulaic. His show about race relations booked guests with such polar and stringent beliefs that there was no discussion, just the butting of heads. It was silly.

You know, I am so glad I&#39;m not the only one that feels this way. That man loves a good bit of drama with folks screaming back and forth.

His show continually books guests that Larry Elders can feel superior towards, thereby eliminating the possibility that someone might point out to Mr. Elders that he doesn&#39;t know what heck he&#39;s talking about. He gets no brownie points from me. <_<

:lol: Ditto

ScoobyGurl
03-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by jolie76@Mar 11 2005, 05:11 PM
I think the Larry Elders show is so ridiculously formulaic. His show about race relations booked guests with such polar and stringent beliefs that there was no discussion, just the butting of heads. It was silly. His show continually books guests that Larry Elders can feel superior towards, thereby eliminating the possibility that someone might point out to Mr. Elders that he doesn&#39;t know what heck he&#39;s talking about. He gets no brownie points from me. <_<

<span style='color:blue'>Yeah, that show is complete BS. He maskes his feeling of superiority to the "hoodrats" and "thugs" with "tough love." <_< :icon_headshake: </span>

Venetter
03-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by jolie76@Mar 11 2005, 05:11 PM

ditto.

dyverse00
03-14-2005, 04:17 PM
I&#39;ve watched his show and he is always talking down to black people that he think is now on his level. I do not care to watch his show because he does act like a &#39;tom&#39; at times. What he should realize is that everyone lives in different environments and have different things going on in their lives and things are easier said thatn done. So he gets a &#39;thumbs down&#39; from me because even though some of the issues he brings up need to be talked about, he just bashes the people that come on his show and have different view points than him.

Jendayi
03-14-2005, 09:37 PM
I liked the show at first, but after a while i grew tired of it. it seems that he invites guest just so he can attack them. I don&#39;t think that is the way to go about having a sucessful talk show.

naturalmama
03-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Well to me the tv show is just bad. He has no chemistry. He is trying to be like dr. phil and its not working.

I&#39;ve never listened to his radio show so cant comment on that but I like people that stress personal responsibilty. He just shouldnt have a tv show.

zmurfz
03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Seems like a common theme with this guy. Wasn&#39;t he the same guy who did &#39;Moral court"

I watch him sometimes and although at times he makes good points (anyone will if given time) he has thing about him that feels not right. Like he is someone&#39;s spokesperson. I will leave it at that.

kadburyz1
03-21-2005, 05:36 PM
He is proof, to me, that not all black people think alike.

Tamala
03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I find him annoying, too self-righteous for my taste.

auntme
05-27-2005, 04:16 PM
I have seen the show over the last month. I think that it is a cross between Oprah (not fighting, sharp studio, well dressed) and Judge Judy (yelling, overtalking).

I most often find myself shaking my head at him.

leshapesha03
05-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Jendayi@Mar 14 2005, 05:37 PM
I liked the show at first, but after a while i grew tired of it. it seems that he invites guest just so he can attack them. I don&#39;t think that is the way to go about having a sucessful talk show.

That&#39;s the truth! All he does is yell!

I forgot about the show, but I saw it for the first time in a few months today and he is a tad annoying! I agree with him when he talks some of the time, but for the most part I just want him to shut up! :rolleyes: Calling him a "Tom" seems a little uncalled for! ;)

MsCurly85
05-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Twistie74@Mar 10 2005, 07:23 PM
I love the Larry Elder Show.

More often than not, he&#39;s tackling some sort of topic regarding racial issues and those types of shows are ALWAYS a favorite to me.

I also enjoy that he has straight-talking guests or &#39;professionals&#39; or even audience members to give you different points of view on the topic at hand.

Me to- I love the racial shows.. it just comes on to early and i mess it half the time.. but when its on i sit back on my couch and im like :pop:

remember moral court? he did that show back a few years ago... i don&#39;t really like his personality/view point sometimes but i guess hes tryna bring something different to his show..

~*welekevu*~
05-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah, he was the Moral Court guy. I saw the lady who did commentary on some rap video shaking her behind.

But anyways, I mostly watch to see what the guests say. I could care less about his self righteous commentary. He acts like members of the diaspora have no right or reason to have any negative feeling towards the majority. <_<

republicrat
05-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by ~*welekevu*~@May 27 2005, 01:56 PM

But anyways, I mostly watch to see what the guests say. I could care less about his self righteous commentary. He acts like members of the diaspora have no right or reason to have any negative feeling towards the majority. <_<

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN! Truth is what you spoke.

mrsloh
05-28-2005, 04:46 PM
I think that it is one thing for the talk show host to ask questions that the audience may want to know the answer to - but it is another thing when you are being judgemental or trying to force your view of something onto someone else. Even Jesus had a way of helping us to see what was right without being judgemental...(judge not lest ye be judged...)

I have flashed past his show at times when he was being a bit harsh and unfeeling with his point of view - that is when I won&#39;t watch. But with that said - we as human beings will never come to the point where we are all in agreement about how to live, be or think...but as my mom always says "it is not what you say...but how you say it..."and I think he could use a little more work on the how and not come across as rigidly as he does.

NappyIsTheWayToBe
05-28-2005, 07:35 PM
I have never seen his show. From what I am reading, I am glad that I havent.

curlandwoo
05-29-2005, 11:09 PM
i enjoy his show