PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Think This Section Is So Small?

zahraliberation
07-29-2003, 06:32 PM
hey, i'm just about to start a political science program, and i was browsing around nappturality's site when i saw this section. i'm used to being in on the locs discussions as well as many of the others, so i was shocked to see that there were only like 4 "nappactivism" posts! i'm just wondering why you guys think this section is so small - do you think it has to do with the overall political apathy which has a grip on so many people - especially non-whites.

it's just interesting because i'm about to start this program, so i've already been thinking a lot about what my dissertation will be on - and i find this site and it reflects the same problems/issues i've been thinking about which is: how do we get other non whites to mobilize and recognize that they can make changes in this society is we stand together and work together as a unit.

just thoughts...

strawwberryz
07-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by zahraliberation@Jul 29 2003, 01:32 PM
hey, i'm just about to start a political science program, and i was browsing around nappturality's site when i saw this section. i'm used to being in on the locs discussions as well as many of the others, so i was shocked to see that there were only like 4 "nappactivism" posts! i'm just wondering why you guys think this section is so small - do you think it has to do with the overall political apathy which has a grip on so many people - especially non-whites.

PoliSci was my undergrad major...great decision :thumbsup:

I think this section is small because alot of the topics that may have been under it might be in the Cultural Discussion and Other Discussion Forums.
When you browse through those forums, political apathy is not really an issue on this site. I guess sometimes it is hard to know what topics fall under 'Activism' and it is just easier to post under Cultural or Other forums.

ShekinahSoul
08-03-2003, 05:17 AM
I agree with Stawberry that a lot of the topics that would be here tend to be in the culture section. Not sure if that was the original intention of the culture section but that is where the action tends to be on this type of issue. But there is always enough issues we deal with in America that this forum can have it's own group of folks.

buckeyechick
08-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by zahraliberation@Jul 29 2003, 06:32 PM

it's just interesting because i'm about to start this program, so i've already been thinking a lot about what my dissertation will be on - and i find this site and it reflects the same problems/issues i've been thinking about which is: how do we get other non whites to mobilize and recognize that they can make changes in this society is we stand together and work together as a unit.

just thoughts...
I'm a third year in poli sci right now, isn't that crazy :rainfro:

As for an answer to your question where do I begin. I think people have become apathetic because so much power is consolidated among a small minority and may feel it is impossible to effectively make a change when going against rich moguls. People don't know where to start, when it comes to organizing a group, club, etc. Classic problems are free riding and collective action problems. People may think a more prominent third party is needed but as noted in the past the two parties are so strong they'll gang up and kick the third party out i.e. Perot. Being a minority is an issue within itself we make up such a small physical percentage that no one would notice or even care.

Twistednkinky
08-06-2003, 04:06 AM
I agree with Strawberryz & ShekinahSoul! I am guilty sometimes of not really knowing what section to place certain things and there have been many threads that I started that probably should or could have gone here, but I placed them elsewhere. :(

Furthermore, it seems that certain forums tend to be viewed moreso than others, at least that is what I have observed, during my relatively short time as a member. And then I would also say, that the interest of the various forums is also dependent upon the individual and also collective interests of the online community. Does that make sense? Probably not, sometimes....I don't communicate clearly....working on it! ;)

Anyway, if there is one word that does not describe this site, that word is apathetic. There definitely seems to be an expressed interest for social change, but it seems that there is a lot more talking about it, rather than organizing and actually doing something. Let me correct that, because I don't know what people are doing on an individual level or collective level outside of this online community! For all I know, there could be members planning a serious revolution at these napptural gatherings! :unsure: I am sure that there are plenty of members on this site who are actually walking the walk that they talk....just as I try to do.

But with any community, whether it be online/offline, there will always be a group of people talking loud and not really saying a whole lot of nothing. The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are always few.

JMHO

Best wishes with your studies Buckeyechick and Zahraliberation! :thumbsup:

Oops, I also wanted to say a little something about this too!

how do we get other non whites to mobilize and recognize that they can make changes in this society is we stand together and work together as a unit.

If you read some of the threads I have been reading you will see that a great number of people think that we (black folk) need to unify first.....our biggest problem, according to some is lack of unity! So, I doubt seriously if the people who subscribe to this belief pattern will be willing to cross the bridge of collaboration with others, until we first can put up a united front......hmmm, now that I am rereading what you are saying, perhaps, I have misunderstood you. Oh well, I am entitled to having a senior moment.....and it's getting late too! :lol:

Again best wishes!

buckeyechick
08-08-2003, 09:01 PM
I didn't answer the question that you asked. My answer was meant to reflect the nation as a whole. Sorry.

zahraliberation
08-11-2003, 10:54 PM
my apologies - i didn't mean that people on this site are apathetic - i was thinking about the issues facing our communities and i think many many people are affected by apathy, but i didn't mean people on this site are apathetic. i wouldn't know that one way or the other. i should have made that clear.

and i do see that there is a lot more posted on other threads - maybe people don't designate "nappactivism" as the right spot for some of the issues they're discussing.

as for the "united front" amongst black people, i agree that we need unity amongst ourselves, but i'm definitely at a place where i recognize and respect my brothas and sistas who don't necessarily classify themselves as "black". right now i feel like black is a mindstate and not necessarily a skin color. some of the blackest people i know are hella pale :P

anyway, peace and love. z

deecoily
08-12-2003, 04:04 AM
I am a BIG activist. It's just that I have been so daggone busy I haven't had the time to rally the troops. ;) Like I did for the Savannah Petition. (Inger Bostick)

However, I will be working on raising awareness of more social issues soon. I can raise hell sometimes.

Dee

redlight6290
08-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Because people would rather complain then take action and try to fix problems.

zahraliberation
08-15-2003, 06:48 PM
i noticed that there are twice as many posts in this section now. maybe it was just having a dry spell :)

Twistednkinky
08-15-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by zahraliberation@Aug 15 2003, 01:48 PM
i noticed that there are twice as many posts in this section now. maybe it was just having a dry spell :)
Hey Z,

I just wanted to say that it was your post that created awareness for me about this particular forum. Therefore, I have been posting in this section moreso than before! :)

Awareness leads to consciousness! ;) I just hope others will follow suit and post in this forum as well. But not only post, but take it a step further an act! Be an educated consumer! B)

nottyfreedom
08-16-2003, 03:24 AM
:rolleyes: new here. wasnt aware of what it was about. :(

notty

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 06:33 AM
Bump.......Where is everyone?

uzuri
12-31-2003, 03:13 PM
I´ve wondered before what kind of threads are supposed to be here, that´s why I have never posted......Anyone know? :-?

uzuri
12-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Is this really working? I just posted, and I cannot see my post:... :-?

Twistednkinky
12-31-2003, 03:40 PM
Uzuri,

I assure you it's working. I can see your post. :-P

If you click Add Reply, you will be able to see recent posts on this old thread.

As for your other question, sounds like one for Dee. :)

However, when I have posted here, I have posted articles or information relative to discriminatory behavior......unfair hiring practices and etc.

But I would imagine that articles pertaining to boycotts, housing discrimination, inflammatory marketing and etc....would be appropriate.

Your thoughts? ;-)

ETA: Thoughts shared in another thread in this forum....addressing Lagina.

Here's some of the threads I have seen or either started, which could easily fit in this forum:

Linguisitic Profiling

Bling Blings

Dolls For The Urban Market-Flavas

Old Navy.....Stop Monkeying Around!

There are ^^^others.....but I don't have time to search.

Lagina
01-01-2004, 12:50 AM
oh thats how to see the new post lol

Twistednkinky
01-01-2004, 03:16 AM
:offtopic Lagina,

I responded to your PM.....did you get it? :huh

Lolly
01-14-2004, 12:04 PM
I definitely think there is a level of napptivism on this website. I really loved political science back in the day. I think this year it is crucial for all of us to get registered to vote. I have registered over 200 people during my campus days. I went and asked professors if I could speak at the beginning of the class to students about the importance of registering to vote. I provided them the forms with postage stamped envelopes.

The league of women voters has the form to register to vote

http://www.lwv.org/voter/register.html

It is soooo good to see fellow sistas who care. Much peace!!!