PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out (another Nervous Newbie Thread!)

MsDrea
03-12-2005, 06:29 PM
I've never been one for a routine, but my baby will be one next month so maybe I'll have time to develop one. Anyway. ...I'm going for my locs in a few days and I want to go buy some products. I won't be doing my own twisting so I know I don't need any clips and my hair is only about 5 inches so I'll pretty much just be wearing it out, but.... What products do you use to maintain healthy locs? I battle with dryness and I'm a tad bit nervous about that part of it. I don't want them to look dry and I need to keep my scalp moisturized.

karimarie
03-12-2005, 07:46 PM
hmm. if you're not going to maintain (wash twist) them yourself - then maybe i'd invest in just a small spray bottle and some olive oil. mix some olive oil with some water (or try alma's honey spritz recipe) and spritz away. i have heard good things about olive oil in small doses - and combined with water i'm sure your twists will drink up and be very merry.

most of my money (and effort) goes into the perfect twisting agents - so you'll have less headache having someone else do them for you - that will be their job to worry about all that nonsense.

oh - you might wanna invest in a few nice big silk scarfs or pillow cases if you don't already have them to sleep in/on.

hth, msdrea.

-kari.

MsDrea
03-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by karimarie@Mar 12 2005, 03:46 PM
hmm. if you're not going to maintain (wash twist) them yourself - then maybe i'd invest in just a small spray bottle and some olive oil. mix some olive oil with some water (or try alma's honey spritz recipe) and spritz away. i have heard good things about olive oil in small doses - and combined with water i'm sure your twists will drink up and be very merry.

most of my money (and effort) goes into the perfect twisting agents - so you'll have less headache having someone else do them for you - that will be their job to worry about all that nonsense.

oh - you might wanna invest in a few nice big silk scarfs or pillow cases if you don't already have them to sleep in/on.

hth, msdrea.

-kari.

OK so I'll get a spray bottle, some oil and a silk bonnet. I guess I won't be doing too much with my hair for a little while so I won't get carried away with products.

Beryl
03-13-2005, 01:17 AM
ITA. You don't need any products -- just water and maybe a light oil and a silk head cover. If your hair or scalp seems a little dry, you might want to add a little Apple Cider Vinegar to that spray bottle and/or rinse or wash your hair more often.

W8N2XHL
03-13-2005, 02:43 AM
An olive oil and water spritz (1:6 olive oil to water ratio) is all you'll need from day one to year whatever. Less is definitely more. Go to your local beauty supply store and get a satin bonnet or one of those large satin triangle scarfs. Spritz several times a day for your first few months and your hair will love it.

Jina
03-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Wow, this is great information! (considering that MsDrea and I will be hair twins soon) :-) Does olive oil go bad eventually? I have this medium sized container that I've used maybe once, so I'm just curious. And I thought I needed to go out and purchase a lot of stuff. Yay!

Peace & Love

sonshinescoils
03-13-2005, 05:47 AM
for sparkle:
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...=0&#entry756093 (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=47644&pid=756093&st=0&#entry756093)

fwilso01
03-13-2005, 07:09 PM
When your hair is dry moisturize it and when it is dirty (and smelly and itchy :P ) wash it.
You will be fine!! I agree with the rest of the posts, less is more. You will develop your own routine based on the needs of your hair and you'll ba able to share with us the products that work for you. I am so excited for you and sparkle and will definitely keep and eye out on Tuesday for some pics!

AJoyrnee
03-14-2005, 05:00 AM
I agree with what others have suggested---less is more. :P

However, Imma hop off the band wagon and suggest a spritz I've made for myself. It's fragrance free (no essential or fragrant oils) and it's just water that fills up an 8 oz bottle and about three tablespoons of glycerin. I don't use the olive oil or canola oil or cocount oil or any other oil that so many of our sistahs use---but that's my personal preference. I've found that, in the last month of using this spritz, my hair is ALWAYS fresh, clean, and moisturized. Because the amount of water dilutes the glycerin, your locs won't be greasy and therefore, struggling to curl into itself, or locing.

I normally spritz my hair about once or twice daily. My hair is kissably soft, fresh, and clean between maintenance and I'm loving it.

Like others have said, you'll learn what your hair loves as you continue on this journey.

In case you wanna try my spritz, invest in a water bottle (mine is 8 oz.) and glycerin (not expensive at all and can be found at places like K-Mart).

Silk scarves, as someone suggested, or silk pillow cases (for the times you don't feel like tying your head up at night).

Make sure all products you do buy (which shouldn't be a lot anyway) can easily rinse off your hands and are not solids at room temperature---too heavy for your hair and will cause easy build-up.

Now a product I'm "swearing" by is a product my beautician uses on my hair; it's called Lock & Twist Serum. It's not beeswax and it's not gel. It's clear, liquidy @ room temperature, yet it's got that sticky thing going on...but it's WONDERFUL! I'm not sure where you can order it; she got it for the first time at Atlanta's most recent natural hair show last month and she's tried it on me...I love the results (Soooooooooooo much better than anything we've ever used on my hair!). So, I just want to add that if you do look for something that can be used during your re-twisting loc maintenance appointments, that can be a suggestion, and also you can carry it to your beautician and ask him/her to use that instead of what they use. That's just a suggestion.

HTH
:wub:

MsDrea
03-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by AJoyrnee@Mar 14 2005, 01:00 AM
I agree with what others have suggested---less is more. :P

However, Imma hop off the band wagon and suggest a spritz I've made for myself. It's fragrance free (no essential or fragrant oils) and it's just water that fills up an 8 oz bottle and about three tablespoons of glycerin. I don't use the olive oil or canola oil or cocount oil or any other oil that so many of our sistahs use---but that's my personal preference. I've found that, in the last month of using this spritz, my hair is ALWAYS fresh, clean, and moisturized. Because the amount of water dilutes the glycerin, your locs won't be greasy and therefore, struggling to curl into itself, or locing.

I normally spritz my hair about once or twice daily. My hair is kissably soft, fresh, and clean between maintenance and I'm loving it.

Like others have said, you'll learn what your hair loves as you continue on this journey.

In case you wanna try my spritz, invest in a water bottle (mine is 8 oz.) and glycerin (not expensive at all and can be found at places like K-Mart).

Silk scarves, as someone suggested, or silk pillow cases (for the times you don't feel like tying your head up at night).

Make sure all products you do buy (which shouldn't be a lot anyway) can easily rinse off your hands and are not solids at room temperature---too heavy for your hair and will cause easy build-up.

Now a product I'm "swearing" by is a product my beautician uses on my hair; it's called Lock & Twist Serum. It's not beeswax and it's not gel. It's clear, liquidy @ room temperature, yet it's got that sticky thing going on...but it's WONDERFUL! I'm not sure where you can order it; she got it for the first time at Atlanta's most recent natural hair show last month and she's tried it on me...I love the results (Soooooooooooo much better than anything we've ever used on my hair!). So, I just want to add that if you do look for something that can be used during your re-twisting loc maintenance appointments, that can be a suggestion, and also you can carry it to your beautician and ask him/her to use that instead of what they use. That's just a suggestion.

HTH
:wub:

Thanks for the advice. I'm Ajoyrnee and everyone else. I'm super exited my journey begins in just over 24 hours! I'm off to learn how to get an album to post my pictures. LOL Expect plenty of pm's from me!