PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Collard Greens

twistedmama
02-04-2003, 11:54 PM
I have been using collard greens in my stir fry for the past two months now. I usually just remove the leaf from the stem and rinse under cool water once. I was reading some instructions that came with my collards that I brought today that said you should soak the collards in salt water and clean at least two to three times. For all those that use collard greens on a regular basis is once enough or do you need to rinse it out more?

I hope I have not been contaminating my body with unseen dirt that I did not wash off. :?

Thanks for you help.

Peace,

LotsOfLocs
02-05-2003, 01:21 AM
I soak them in water. I repeat this about 3 times. I move them around and rinse. Baking soda removes the grit also.

chocol8diva714
02-05-2003, 04:23 AM
Hey you've also got another "triple soaker". Depending on how you like your greens, I rinse first and then trim most of the stems and soak...making sure to slosh the greens around and kind of "bob" them up and down in the water to loosen grit, drit, and sand. I don't use salt water but have heard of doing this and also using baking soda.

Smooches and blessings :P

ihgemini
02-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Blessings,
I pick my greens and then roll the leaves and cut so they resemble strips (makes for easier eating). Then I soak them in water sprinkled with salt, this brings out any bugs that may reside on leaves. I usually wash about 3x also because collards aren't as dirty as turnip or mustard greens.

twistedmama
02-06-2003, 04:57 AM
Hey ladies,

Thanks for the replies. I tried the 3x method today and I did not see much of a difference. But I guess it could not hurt.

@ihgemini: I cut up my greens that way too. :D

marissasensei
02-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Well, my grandma always washes her greens in the washing machine. That seems to do a good job of getting rid of the grit. . .

ihgemini
02-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Blessings,

Well, my grandma always washes her greens in the washing machine. That seems to do a good job of getting rid of the grit. . .

:shock: Hey but if it works, there is nothing to say :D

Chamber
02-06-2003, 05:44 PM

LOL-I wash- meaning I take the leaf and gently scrub with my fingers- first time around. Then I soak. Then I scrub again.

Someone suggested that I take a knife and run it along the leaf to scrape some of the dirt and grime- didn't work that well for me but it may be worth a try.