PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrites....

blackcoffee
08-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Okay, I know this girl at work who is HOLIER THAN THOU...every other sentence out of her mouth is "Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!" <_< She is married to a minister and is quick to say how much of a Christian she is. But....

she cheats on her husband. :mad: She even tells people that she has a &#39;sugar-daddy&#39; on the side.

I don&#39;t know, she just irritates me. How can you call yourself a Christian, be in the front pew at church, but &#39;hoeing&#39; around?? :rolleyes: Maybe I&#39;m late, but even the people who are faithful church goers and so called &#39;saints&#39; are no better than people who don&#39;t go to church.

Am I wrong in feeling so irritated?

rockinlocs
08-01-2003, 01:24 AM
No, you&#39;re not wrong. Obviously this woman has set a VERY poor example not only for those of us believers and followers of Christ (the term Christian has lost it&#39;s savor in my book!) but for Christ Himself.

It&#39;s always been said that you can&#39;t base one&#39;s life and walk on what comes out of their mouths. Some of them know how to talk the talk and all, but they are FAR from being true to God and his Word and ways.

But please don&#39;t lump us all together. Just because someone labels themselves a "Christian" or even if they&#39;re a preacher, preacher&#39;s wife, preacher&#39;s kid, etc...don&#39;t mean SQUAT anymore. I know of a preacher right now who was "sat down" due to it being proven that he was messing around with other women.

There&#39;s a strong delusion going on in these days and many will call wrong right and right wrong. If it were me in your situation, I&#39;d probably call this woman out and let her know that she her life is supposed to be an example and she is bringing the name of her Lord to an OPEN SHAME and just tell her how I feel.

Twistednkinky
08-01-2003, 03:21 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with Rockinlocs! :thumbsup:

Maybe I&#39;m late, but even the people who are faithful church goers and so called &#39;saints&#39; are no better than people who don&#39;t go to church.

I have never been one who was foolish enough to believe that I am better than someone who does not believe! In my opinion, believing that you are better is PRIDEFUL and is a sure way to fall from grace. I am a SINNER who is saved by GRACE and certainly not better than anyone.

<span style='color:purple'>No, you are not wrong for feeling irritated! And I am not certain if you are a believer or not, but I suspect that perhaps you are inclined to believe, or else you would not be so irritated by your coworker&#39;s actions. Either way, I too would encourage you to have a chat with her. Perhaps, over lunch or after work to discuss how you feel about HER behavior, which reflects poorly on HER!

I would also like to say that hypocrisy is not limited to the church or church folk. But it a burden that is unfairly placed upon the shoulders of ALL believers. Nevertheless, church aside, we forever encounter people who say one thing and then do another....like politicians, but even they do not seem to catch as much flack as those of us who profess to believe in a Power greater than ourselves.

Again, I do not know if you are believer or not, but if you are not, I would encourage you to NOT allow the actions of one, several, hundred, or thousands to deter you from establishing your own personal relationship with the Creator. And just know that, not everyone who professes.....Lord Lord, will be permitted to enter the kingdom!

Lastly, I leave you with this poem that I also included in a thread entitled JUDGMENTAL CHRISTIANS.....

When I say, "I am a Christian,"
I am not shouting "I am saved."
I am whispering "I was lost";
That is why I chose this way

I don&#39;t speak of this with pride.
I&#39;m confessing that I stumble,
And need someone to be my guide.

I&#39;m not trying to be strong.
I&#39;m professing that I&#39;m weak,
And pray for strength to carry on.

I&#39;m not bragging of success
I&#39;m admitting I have failed,
And cannot ever pay the debt.

I&#39;m not claiming to be perfect.
My flaws are too visible
But God Believes I am worth it.

I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches,
Which is why I speak his name

I do not wish to judge.
I have no authority;
I only know I am loved.

~~~~ Unknown~~~~

starchild
08-01-2003, 02:21 PM
that lady knows that she is wrong. If she knows the word, she knows that she is wrong. I think that people play church far to much. Many people live a lie everyday. I think the reason why she acts holier than thou because she knows that she is not holy and doing wickedness. Anytime somebody has to say lord this and that in front of everybody. They are not trying to convince you but she is trying to convince herself. She has got to change on her on will. You can talk to her if you like but I recommend that you just ignore her and move on. You know what she is about. Don;t put man on a pedastal because he will disappoint you everytime.

tran68
08-01-2003, 02:54 PM
folk can talk a good game but unless you spend quality one on one time with Christ, you can call yourself a Christian all you want, but the true "fruit" are the things that come out of your mouth and your actions....I agree with Rockinlocs, the word is tossed around too carelessly these days and it seems the ones who talk the loudest with the "have a blessed day" on their voicemail(s) and the Bible open at their desks are the ones who have the reps for the naztiest attitudes and the "don&#39;t cross me or I&#39;ll cut you" kinda dispositions! :unsure:

jacura
08-01-2003, 03:34 PM
edited by jacura

elleebeme5
08-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by blackcoffee@Jul 31 2003, 06:28 PM
Okay, I know this girl at work who is HOLIER THAN THOU...every other sentence out of her mouth is "Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!" <_< She is married to a minister and is quick to say how much of a Christian she is. But....

she cheats on her husband. :mad: She even tells people that she has a &#39;sugar-daddy&#39; on the side.

I don&#39;t know, she just irritates me. How can you call yourself a Christian, be in the front pew at church, but &#39;hoeing&#39; around?? :rolleyes: Maybe I&#39;m late, but even the people who are faithful church goers and so called &#39;saints&#39; are no better than people who don&#39;t go to church.

This woman&#39;s behavior is wrong. Her lifestyle is not consistent with the teachings of Christ. However, we all sin and come short of the glory of God. Having accepted Christ as my Savior, I understand that he died for the sins of the world. Not some of the sins, not some of the people. Consequently, while this woman is certainly being hypocritical, it does not mean that she&#39;s not a Christian and it doesn&#39;t mean that she doesn&#39;t have access to the throne (upon acknowlegement and repentance of her sin).

You are absolutely right when you say that people who go to church are no better than people who don&#39;t go to church. Going to church doesn&#39;t save you.

phatlipps1
08-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by blackcoffee@Jul 31 2003, 03:28 PM

<span style='color:green'>A sin is a sin.

Adultery is a sin. It does look bad that your coworker is openly religious and cheats on her husband. The only reason why I think that would irritate me is if I always wanted to call her out on it and lacked the nerve...like, "DANG I WISH THIS HEFFA WOULD SHUT UP &#39;FO SHE MAKE ME SAY SOMETHIN..."

But at the same time, I have gone to church and sinned the same day. Not adultery, but there is a list of things I&#39;m not supposed to do that I&#39;ve done. Thou shall not lie. I bet I&#39;ve lied IN church. You know how the older folk in church feel they are entitled to ask all your business...uh moving right along...

You gotta let a persons sins and shortcomings be between them and God. You never know why they behave like they do.

jacura
08-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by phatlipps1@Aug 1 2003, 03:40 PM

You gotta let a persons sins and shortcomings be between them and God. You never know why they behave like they do.
exactly...thank you :)

rockinlocs
08-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by phatlipps1+Aug 1 2003, 11:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (phatlipps1 @ Aug 1 2003, 11:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--blackcoffee@Jul 31 2003, 03:28 PM

<span style='color:green'>A sin is a sin.

Adultery is a sin. It does look bad that your coworker is openly religious and cheats on her husband. The only reason why I think that would irritate me is if I always wanted to call her out on it and lacked the nerve...like, "DANG I WISH THIS HEFFA WOULD SHUT UP &#39;FO SHE MAKE ME SAY SOMETHIN..."

But at the same time, I have gone to church and sinned the same day. Not adultery, but there is a list of things I&#39;m not supposed to do that I&#39;ve done. Thou shall not lie. I bet I&#39;ve lied IN church. You know how the older folk in church feel they are entitled to ask all your business...uh moving right along...

You gotta let a persons sins and shortcomings be between them and God. You never know why they behave like they do. [/b][/quote]
yeah, you&#39;re right. I know we as BELIEVERS should leave it between them and God and just pray for them; but what do unbelievers do? I mean, it really does look bad.

Prime example, one of my neighbors is ALWAYS praising God and all and then in the same breath will turn around and say mutha f***. I feel SO badly because she is doing this in front of non-believers and they&#39;re looking and listening and wondering what&#39;s going on.

Also, isn&#39;t there a difference between sinning &#39;cause you "slipped up" and you pray and ask forgiveness and try to go on and NOT do the thing again and just outright living a continual life of sin...you know, PRACTICING it? Like the woman on Blackcoffee&#39;s job...is there a difference in her maybe having acted in adultry once and then ceased from it, repented, etc. and her actually having a RELATIONSHIP with another man and she&#39;s married. I don&#39;t know if that&#39;s the case or not with her, I&#39;m just speaking hypothetically.

I know that I&#39;m not perfect, just striving towards it. But I can&#39;t see continuing in sin so that grace may abound...kwim?

Twistednkinky
08-01-2003, 09:17 PM

You know, I hear what you are saying but, I am on the fence about this one. And here&#39;s why, because I believe that we are suppose to be our brotha/sistah&#39;s keeper? Aren&#39;t we? :unsure: At what point do you let a person&#39;s sin and shortcomings be between them? And if you don&#39;t challenge the behavior, aren&#39;t we condoning it by our inaction? :huh:

Again, I don&#39;t know if the original poster is a believer or not, however, if I were the coworker she described, I would most definitely hope that my brothas/sistahs in Christ would approach me in love about my wayward behavior. I would not have a problem with them judging my behavior, but do so with the full knowledge of the truth.

And how can you get to the truth or heart of the matter for such behavior if you don&#39;t question/challenge the behavior? Judging I do not have a problem with, as long as it is done with the full knowledge of the truth, otherwise it is condemning and noone has the right to do that!

Okay, I know I have just opened a new can of worms, but that is what was on my heart and hopefully it is received well!

elleebeme5
08-02-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by rockinlocs@Aug 1 2003, 02:36 PM

yeah, you&#39;re right. I know we as BELIEVERS should leave it between them and God and just pray for them; but what do unbelievers do? I mean, it really does look bad.

I know that I&#39;m not perfect, just striving towards it. But I can&#39;t see continuing in sin so that grace may abound...kwim?
I hear ya! We have to realize that sometimes, we are the only &#39;bible&#39; that others see. We have to understand that we just rely on &#39;grace got me covered&#39;. What does your heart say? We certainly don&#39;t need anyone else looking bad in the name of the Lord.

My response to the poster was to suggest that we&#39;re all imperfect and she shouldn&#39;t let someone else&#39;s imperfections and inconsistencies irritate her. When you start letting that happen, you&#39;re going to spend the day upset.

I have a friend who professed faith but was considering having an affair with a married man. I had to talk long and hard to her. Because of our relationship, I felt that I could do that without driving her into his no-good arms. I lifted her in prayer. I also asked for the guidance of the Holy Spirit that the right words would be spoken. She eventually came to her senses. So we are our brother&#39;s keeper but we still have to know when and how to chastise in love.

undrea
08-02-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by elleebeme5+Aug 1 2003, 11:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elleebeme5 @ Aug 1 2003, 11:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--rockinlocs@Aug 1 2003, 02:36 PM

I hear ya! We have to realize that sometimes, we are the only &#39;bible&#39; that others see. We have to understand that we just rely on &#39;grace got me covered&#39;. What does your heart say? We certainly don&#39;t need anyone else looking bad in the name of the Lord.

My response to the poster was to suggest that we&#39;re all imperfect and she shouldn&#39;t let someone else&#39;s imperfections and inconsistencies irritate her. When you start letting that happen, you&#39;re going to spend the day upset.

I have a friend who professed faith but was considering having an affair with a married man. I had to talk long and hard to her. Because of our relationship, I felt that I could do that without driving her into his no-good arms. I lifted her in prayer. I also asked for the guidance of the Holy Spirit that the right words would be spoken. She eventually came to her senses. So we are our brother&#39;s keeper but we still have to know when and how to chastise in love. [/b][/quote]
I agree with ellebeme5. We should offer correction in love. I do understand that we are all human and we all make mistakes. I&#39;m not interested in condemning anyone, but correcting in a loving manner is a good idea. Maybe if she was corrected by someone at the job who has a close relationship with her, she would understand that what she is doing is wrong. She&#39;s obviously a baby christian. There&#39;s no way that she can have an intimate relationship with God and continue to do the things that she does. Just pray for her, because you never know what God is going to do in her life.

Joyfulocs
08-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by undrea@Aug 1 2003, 09:48 PM
I agree with ellebeme5. We should offer correction in love. I do understand that we are all human and we all make mistakes. I&#39;m not interested in condemning anyone, but correcting in a loving manner is a good idea.
ITA. You know, I feel as if we&#39;ve allowed the "don&#39;t ask, don&#39;t tell" mentality to invade our daily walk and interaction with one another. Of course, it doesn&#39;t help that we (and I am using this word in a general sense) don&#39;t want anybody to correct us. It&#39;s not about pointing fingers. Not only do we need to approach in love, but we need to learn how to accept it in love. How many times have I wished that somebody had told me ABC before XYZ happened.

If you see me, your sister in Christ, going down a wrong path, please do ask me what&#39;s going on; please do tell me you care or something.

mrandmrsmer
08-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by blackcoffee@Jul 31 2003, 06:28 PM

I wouldn&#39;t generalize or categorize everyone who is a Christian as a hypocrite nor would I say that everyone who calls him or herself a Christian is a true believer, follower and worshipper of Christ. Those who are true, God already knows, and He will call His people to Him. Those who aren&#39;t will eventually be exposed.

As for your coworker, she needs to get herself right with Jesus on the real!! :unsure:

Twistednkinky
08-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Joyfulocs+Aug 2 2003, 01:03 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joyfulocs @ Aug 2 2003, 01:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--undrea@Aug 1 2003, 09:48 PM
I agree with ellebeme5. We should offer correction in love. I do understand that we are all human and we all make mistakes. I&#39;m not interested in condemning anyone, but correcting in a loving manner is a good idea.
ITA. You know, I feel as if we&#39;ve allowed the "don&#39;t ask, don&#39;t tell" mentality to invade our daily walk and interaction with one another. Of course, it doesn&#39;t help that we (and I am using this word in a general sense) don&#39;t want anybody to correct us. It&#39;s not about pointing fingers. Not only do we need to approach in love, but we need to learn how to accept it in love. How many times have I wished that somebody had told me ABC before XYZ happened.

If you see me, your sister in Christ, going down a wrong path, please do ask me what&#39;s going on; please do tell me you care or something.[/b][/quote]
That is precisely the point I was trying to make in my last post. I did not make it as eloquently as you did, but that is precisely what I meant. ;)

As for your comment about correction, I agree we need to be able to accept correction in love. Not being able to accept correction is foolish.....that is what the bible says. Fools despise correction. :(

And I too welcome correction! ;)

nappturallymeRG
08-06-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by tran68@Aug 1 2003, 09:54 AM
The ones who talk the loudest with the "have a blessed day" on their voicemail(s) and the Bible open at their desks are the ones who have the reps for the naztiest attitudes and the "don&#39;t cross me or I&#39;ll cut you" kinda dispositions! :unsure:
ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh boy, that was funny!
Speak it!

Alken41100
08-06-2003, 02:25 PM
It doesn&#39;t matter if she was a Christian or not, she is cheating on her husband. Her declarations of her religious beliefs just makes her look like and idoit (hypocrite). The sad part of it is that she, more than likely has people who belive that vomit sprewing out of her mouth about her holy lifestyle. :nohuh:

While I hate to be skeptical about people, those so called "evangalist" are the ones that I dismissed most of the time.

I have spirit, but it is a private thing that is reflected in my actions therefore I do not have to advertise because people know. Do you sort of understand where I am coming from??

tran68
08-06-2003, 02:42 PM
I agree with you Alken.....I often wonder why folk put themselves out there and then turn out to be the poorest examples. I also believe that too many Christians abuse God&#39;s "grace"....it&#39;s a priviledge and not a right. <_< As long as they know grace abounds they feel they can mess up, clean up, mess up, clean up....at some point there needs to be growth and movement to the next level instead of going over the same issues ova and ova again.

dialect1
08-08-2003, 03:49 AM
This is why we are to put faith in God and not man, man is but flesh.

Bless Up!!!